Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

We had a lovely 12' x 4' x 6"... raised patio? I don't even know what to call it, it was just some wooden platform at the edge of the backyard next to a hose spigot, so I guess the idea if you bring poo poo to this wood platform in order to wash it off. Naturally the entire thing was rotting and all of the screws were rusted out, so I took a saw to it, and guess what I found underneath?

Another raised patio, but slightly smaller and much older. I guess when this older one started looking like poo poo someone decided to just build another platform around the old one.

I've since removed all of that poo poo and about a quarter-inch beneath the soil I hit these thick tree roots from a huge nearby tree, which I guess is probably why the raised platform was put here in the first place. I'm debating chopping/digging out the roots and throwing down raised garden beds here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I've also sunk about $100 into building this really nice-looking suspended garden bed (as in it's a raised garden bed that I put a bottom + legs on) that I'm putting on a concrete portion of my back yard. It looks super great, I mean it's totally not an effective way to spend gardening money but I can at least point to it and say "hey I built this cool looking thing and look at all of those nice plants inside of it". But I'm worried about water leaking through and staining the concrete, so I'm thinking of throwing away even more money on building something that diverts water that drips out of the bottom of this suspended garden bed.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SiGmA_X posted:

You aren't going to line it with plastic? Line it with plastic. Otherwise the dirt will rot your lovely wood anyway.

I lined it with garden cloth, which is basically just porous plastic; that should keep dirt in but let water out. But it's not going to perfectly separate those things

Completely sealing with plastic seems like it'd cause other issues

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

No Butt Stuff posted:

My HOA has a no detached buildings rule. They haven't approved a shed ever, despite people asking to put them up at almost every meeting.

So it looks like I'm going to build an attached shed on the side of the garage with access from the outside that I can put my mower and tools in, since that won't cost an arm and a god-damned leg like a third garage stall.

Now I've just got to figure out what I'm going to call it when I submit the request for approval.

Call it a kill room and if anyone voices a complaint pull out a tiny red book and scribble something in it

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Make sure your raised bed is made of something that won't leach anything into the soil you're growing food in. For example, most pressure-treated wood is not suitable for growing food. So is most paint, a lot of different wood stains, etc. If you're just growing flowers then w/e of course.

Drainage of some kind is useful, though. The best approach for a food-growing planter is probably to line it with nonpermeable food-safe plastic, but then add a few evenly-spaced drain holes, and deal with whatever comes out of those holes specifically.

So I actually did a lot of research on this back when I was planning this project and these were my findings on treated lumber:

1) Older pressure-treated wood was a concern, since one of the components was arsenic (CCA), but modern pressure-treated wood that you pick up at the hardware store is either going to be borate-treated (which is harmless to humans) or copper-treated (which is also basically harmless; there are some illnesses related to having too much copper in your system but those are irrelevant to the small quantities that we're talking about).

2) Of the modern varieties, leaching into the soil occurs but in extremely small quantities. Plant roots then only absorb an extremely small amount of that extremely small amount. Even if you're not convinced that copper is harmless to humans, the quantity found in the plants growing in copper-treated beds is no greater than what is found in plants grown elsewhere.

3) Lots of bloggers still say not to use pressure-treated wood because of "toxins" leaching into the food but these claims aren't really not based on any science at all. Back in the CCA days there was substantial evidence for these claims, but the EPA was pressured into substantially restricting CCA production and now hardware stores basically don't carry it. But if you want to be sure, the type of pressure treatment is always printed right on the wood, so if you see CCA then you shouldn't use it.

The real problem with treated wood is that you have to wait around for it to dry out if you want to give it a nice finish. This can take a couple of weeks and I didn't want to sit around and wait for that. What I wound up going with was A) untreated wood that I B) stained a nice color and C) sealed with polyurethane. I researched sealants pretty well in addition to treated lumber, and polyurethane doesn't "leach" at all, it's basically just a layer of hard plastic once it dries and is well-known for being food-safe. I also threw down a layer of garden cloth and a layer of rocks on top of that, further reducing the chance of any "leaching" of anything (garden cloth itself is food-safe so long as you're not buying one of the kinds advertised to come with a layer of weed killer)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

How do I figure out if my weird maybe 3 season, maybe 4 season room is insulated in the walls or ceiling without tearing them open?

Also where can I get window screens made? Pella brand for some of them and they want to charge $80 per replacement screen which seems high. Plus I need to redo the supports of these bay windows since they're sagging and making the windows not open/close properly. It's going to be cheaper to just run the air conditioner.

For walls, can't you just poke a small hole somewhere inconspicuous and then patch it up? If you find insulation then it's a good bet that the entire wall is insulated. You could hypothetically use an IR camera but that's really only going to work for interior walls, where it doesn't really matter (well, maybe it matters for walls facing a garage, then that might work)

For the ceiling, do you have an attic or any sort of space above the rooms you care about that you can reach? That's probably the safest bet.

Custom screens cost an arm and a leg no matter where I've looked, relatively few places do them and they know that they can charge a decent amount. I'm hoping someone else comes along and corrects me with some awesome discount custom screen place, but right now that price doesn't sound crazy, based on my experience

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Zhentar posted:

That's backwards, it will only really work for exterior walls (or walls with a substantial temperature difference across them, if you want to be pedantic - which I do). You can do it with an IR thermometer too, though it will be more work.

No... no, it's not backwards, for the reason that you've pointed out. I actually use IR cameras (gently caress FLIR forever, seriously their software is bad), and you can spot poorly-installed insulation on an exterior wall without too much effort, but a wall with well-installed insulation doesn't look too different from a wall with no insulation at all.

For interior walls, drywall is a poo poo insulator on its own so you just need to stick a heat source on the other side and see how much of it "shines" through. The heat source trick doesn't work with the exterior walls out here because the houses all have thick wood siding, which fucks with the measurement enough that it's hard to tell whether or not the wall is insulated, thereby ruining the heat source trick. So you're left with trying to uniformly heat or cool the house (on a cool or hot day) in order to detect insulation in the exterior walls, which is fine if your wall has insulation gaps but not fine if your wall looks relatively uniform (it could be uniformly insulated, or it could be completely uninsulated)

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 8, 2016

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I once saw a listing where the homeowner was a serious busybody and had meticulously documented all of the maintenance tasks in a huge illustrated binder. He offered it up for the listing because he thought that it might make his house sell better (but I'm not sure if it worked)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Our PO left us half-full paint buckets (with legible color codes), we were thankful for that. Plus the original manuals for all of the appliances

Didn't leave us the alarm code though, the fuckers, so we had do disable the whole system while I figured out how to convert it into a DIY alarm system (which was surprisingly not too hard)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

But then he won't have to worry about how to spend that $25k, which just reduces stress even further. Home ownership is truly a magical thing

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

Thanks for the screen tips, I'll look into DIY. As to checking the insulation: there's no attic on this part, and all the lighting is track lighting.

I know that there's a lot of inefficiency - most of the house is on top of a basement, while this is on top of a slab. It gets really cold at night, and really hot during the day, and it doesn't have any vents from the furnace - just a unit in it that does ac + heat depending on what you want. Every building in the subdivision has this type of room, but no one seems to really know what's up with them. It could be no insulation, or it could be the incredibly old (likely original to 1948) windows - they're double paned but the caulk? on the interior of every one is broken apart. The windows are weird - they're side by side, and to open them one slides back at an angle then alongside the other, on a track, and then the other one can glide over as well but there's not much point to that.

With big daily temperature swings and a standalone AC/heater unit, there's a very good chance that the room isn't insulated at all.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

2000 sqft is too small for even a family of two, you can't fit an indoor pool or servants quarters in such a small space! I suppose you expect me to share a bedroom with my spouse?? It's absurd!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

newts posted:

Hey all, I have a question about home insurance...

We are buying a pretty small house (~2000 sq ft) in Denver, Co for almost $600,000. Yes, I know it's ridiculous. It is what it is. I've talked to a few insurance companies and it looks like the max we can insure the structure for is around $320,000 or so, which is what they estimate the cost to rebuild is. I'm pretty worried we might be underinsured. I understand we are paying a premium for the location and the land, which can't be insured. We won't have a mortgage, so I don't need to worry about that aspect, and we'd be well covered for the cost of our belongings. I've done some reading and found some references to insuring for "market value", but talking with the insurance agents, they don't seem to think that's an option. Should I just push back on the cost to rebuild and argue that it should be a bit higher? Or is that an accurate estimate?

So, though it is nice to pay less for insurance, we don't want to lose everything when our ridiculously expensive tiny house burns down :(

Did you get an appraisal at any point? If not, get an appraisal. It should tell you what your house and your land are worth separately, then if you feel like the house is underinsured you can give it to your insurance company and ask them about buying more coverage.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

newts posted:

Sorry to start the house-size debate again :(

The house is actually 1,835 sq ft. It's a 3 bedroom with 1.5 bathrooms. I think it's pretty small, especially for the price we're paying, but we wouldn't be buying it if we didn't think it would work for us. We won't have a mortgage because we are making quite a bit of profit on selling our current house, plus borrowing a lot of money from our families, plus we never spend money on anything but kids and food so have saved a lot. We tried buying with a traditional mortgage, but always lost the houses we wanted, so did an all cash purchase and got the house.

We will get an appraisal done, that's a good idea! But would that necessarily reflect the cost to rebuild? Seems silly to hire a contractor to give us an estimate on rebuilding the house, but maybe we'll have to do that.

Eta: Good point on the umbrella coverage. We have a lot right now, but will see about bumping it up.

It won't really be that accurate of an estimate for the rebuild cost, it's just going to be a ballpark figure. The only reason you're getting it is to A) check to see whether the insurance company's estimate of the rebuild cost is reasonable and B) if it's not reasonable then you have something to show them.

You could probably just call them up and be like "we think our house would cost more to rebuild than what you've insured us for", they'll probably be happy to bump up your coverage. But it's probable that your coverage is already reasonable

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

My 3 bedroom 1.5 bath house is 1188 square feet. It's in a neighborhood full of similarly-sized houses full of families with two, three, and four kids. Whether a house "seems small" has as much to do with perceptions as square feet, and then another aspect is how well the house was laid out for usability. A lot of houses are poorly designed and waste a lot of square footage on poo poo like hallways. Some people have formal dining rooms, others don't. Staircases consume square footage too. If you have a laundry room in your home instead of hookups in the garage that can be another hundred square feet. Etc. etc.

Lots of people feel more comfortable with more space, that's fine. Where folks take issue is when we're living very reasonably in 1200 square feet and someone pops in to declare that they "need" twice as much space. "Need" is a loaded word. Americans are generally massively wasteful, some of us are acutely aware of that wastefulness, and it's not a terrible thing to remind people - politely - that the standard American perception of what we "need" is actually grossly conspicuous luxury compared to how most of humanity lives, including in other developed countries.

Especially in BFC, because one of the persistent problems that people have with regards to managing their financing, is being unable to clearly delineate between actual needs, and luxuries.

I'm in a similar boat; we have a 3 bed 2.5 bath house that's 1500 sqft and it feels enormous. The entire neighborhood is full of people with similar floor plans who either have a bunch of young children or who had a bunch of kids 20 years ago. No basements, either; this is one of those areas where the ground is tough enough to make basements cost-prohibitive. Laundry hookups in the garage, storage areas under stairwells, and an open layout can create a lot of space.

I think that your comments on layout are spot on; one house can feel much more cramped than another with the same square footage. I've seen plenty of houses that had an extra 200-500 sqft but felt cramped thanks to garbage layouts. We saw one house where the first floor was basically one long wraparound hallway around a stairwell, with the hallway ending in a combo living room / kitchen, divided by one of those little bar/slit walls. It was so lovely. The realtor tried to pretend that the hallway is part of the living room by sticking a couch in the hallway portion, but it just made it hard to walk around and probably had the effect of making things feel even more cramped.

That feeling of being cramped even in a lot of actual floor space was especially bad for houses built in the 50s and 60s; people back then just loved clearly-defined rooms separated by thick walls. And they also loved narrow kitchens (which makes sense if you think that only one person is ever supposed be in there). Our house is cheaper to keep warm/cool than those other houses despite feeling bigger.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I bought a bunch of LEDs recently too, but for bathroom vanities it felt like a bank of 40 W bulbs was super bright. The bulbs originally in there were 60W equivalent CFLs.

Anywhere that you have a 60W bulb, it's worth trying a 40W. They're much cheaper and if you have a whole bunch of them in one place then it's not going to make much difference

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SiGmA_X posted:

Is the general consensus that we should start replacing all CFL's with LED's preemptively, or just upon burnout? I have a few LED's but most of my bulbs are ~3yo CFL's. I picked color temp and wattage as appropriate for my various uses at the time.

Just on burnout, but if you have a light bar in the bathroom with 2 burnt out CFLs and 6 working CFLs then you might want to just replace all of them with LEDs for the sake of aesthetics

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I also bought a 3-way LED for this awesome old lamp that I have, it had a 50/100/150W incandescent bulb and I replaced it with a 30/60/100W equivalent LED bulb (which is really 5/9/20 Watts). It looks exactly the same as the old bulb but is just a tiny bit dimmer. It's the primary source of light in my living room and it's great, gives the room a nice cozy feeling but at 1/10th of the power and with almost none of the heat.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SiGmA_X posted:

So my buddy was talking home automation last night. He's going with Wink stuff, it seems excessively consumer to me - but kind of cool.

What do Goons like? Any suggested resources to read?

There was a discussion on this a few days ago, IIRC. Right now I think that the consensus is that the industry is still very young; devices come with all sorts of non-obvious flaws baked in (sometimes the security vulnerabilities are quite serious) and companies fall over and die pretty regularly. There's lots of VC cash in home automation right now, which tends to foster short-lived startups.

While there are some interesting applications (automatic notifications in an emergency, automated emergency response, etc), the Home Automation field is mostly a hub of idiots who just want to wank over the Internet of Things (I want my fridge to use bitcoin to order more pickles when it senses that my pickle jar is empty!), so there's a lot of useless poo poo out there. Don't buy wifi-enabled locks or light bulbs, they're a waste of time and money. Do look at water, temperature, and smoke/co sensors as well as automated thermostats.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Are you suggesting that if someone entered your home and stole stuff, and you had left the door unlocked, that your insurance company might refuse to pay out?

I don't know this for a fact but I'd be very surprised if an insurance company can get out of a burglary claim by claiming you failed to adequately secure your house. Short of leaving the door wide open with a big sign saying "FREE STUFF, COME ON IN AND TAKE WHAT YOU WANT," going into a private residence and taking things is still theft no matter the condition (or lack of) locks.

It's really going to depend on your policy. This blogger seems to think that some insurers will refuse a claim if it looks like there was no sign of forced entry, and I really don't find that surprising at all.

Insurance companies don't want to pay out on claims, and if the language of your policy allows them to do that because of something that you did or did not do, then you can be certain that they'll capitalize on that.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

If you're too much of a football addict to miss a few minutes of the game while attending to the grill (for real, you should spend almost no time next to the grill while grilling) then just get a tablet that you can bring outside. Buying and installing an outdoor television seems like a waste of time and money when there are easier, cheaper, better options available

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Elephanthead posted:

Why are you going back inside? Oh because you don't have an outdoor TV that's why.

I'm going back inside because it's probably cold or hot outside and grilling hardly requires spending any time standing next to the grill, a hypothetical outdoor TV wouldn't change that

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

I know that you are trying to obliquely make some kind of point about people loving around with the food on their grill way too much when they're grilling, but you gotta understand that grilling isn't an American passtime just because it tastes good.

Having a barbecue is a social event and tending to the grill is part of the ritual. You stand there in your dumb KISS THE COOK apron holding a big fork and watch the fire and rearrange the sausages and drink a beer and you are doing the thing. It is not a terrible thing to have a covered outdoor area to socialize in while doing it, and if you have a giant TV to play sports on while you're at it, all the better.

This sort of activity is portrayed commonly enough in American media that I have a hard time believing you're actually confused by it, so OK, yes, people usually mess with their steaks way too much when they're grilling and they should knock it off, are you happier now?

:raise: Okay, there are two issues here

I've been to a billion cookouts, and rarely do I see someone standing like an idiot over an open grill. I'm aware of the trope to which you're referring, but in my experience it's just not realistic. You can totally still wear the goofy apron and stand around drinking beer anywhere you want, you don't have to stand next to an open grill to do it. Are you really going to a lot of cookouts where the grill is being left open? If you know that it's often not a good idea, why don't you do anything to stop it?

Second, do you really only use a grill while in a group? They don't only have to be used for group cooking. Grills keep cooking heat outside of the house, which is really great if you're in a hot climate.

Leperflesh posted:

NOOOO YOU STUPID BASTARD!

GO INSIDE! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?!

Hey do you see how that guy is holding the lid, and how the lid isn't just like on the ground or something? That implies that he's been keeping the lid on the grill and very recently opened it to flip or remove meat.

Do you also see how that guy is by himself, and everyone else is off in the background sitting at a table... aka not next to the grill?

This picture shows the opposite of what you're trying to show. How did you gently caress up this badly and not realize it?

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 24, 2016

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

Hey, original solarium/sunroom question guy here.

Pretty much decided to get a four-season solarium with a baseboard on the patio (gently caress three-seasons, like why). Will wait until fall to hopefully get it for a better price though.

As for grilling? I'll be putting in concrete tiles on top of the lawn below as the new patio. Who really needs grass in the backyard anyways?

Grass yards are kind of the worst part about home ownership, so I say go for it.

And if you have any grass left then toss a raised garden bet on it (or don't and just rip the grass out if that's a good option) and then plant something that you can eat later

You could plant a potato mound, more home owners should have potato mounds. What's a potato mound, you ask? It's exactly what it sounds like.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 25, 2016

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

The problem I have with growing potatoes is that they're just about the cheapest food you can buy. So you're gonna go to a lot of manual labor in order to save yourself like $20 on potatoes.

The solution is probably to grow weird heirloom potato varieties or something.

It's about 10 minutes of manual labor for about $20 worth of potatoes. They're super easy to grow and harvest. You can go all out with careful fertilization schedules if you want to grow super big potatoes in nicely organized rows or something but that's totally unnecessary.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Taste the Rainbugh posted:

Yeah I think it was neighbors also. Also If they are as large as he represents them how didn't he hear all that going on? Wouldn't it be at least an hour or so worth of heavy work literally right outside his home

Possibly it was done while he was literally anywhere else

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Andy Dufresne posted:

I was so happy that my corded mower took a poo poo earlier this year so I could replace it with a gas mower.

Why would you ever want to switch to a gas mower? They're messier, heavier, and stinkier. And when you're done mowing BAM, get out the electric weed whacker and put it on the same cord

Corded mower 4 life

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Leviathan Song posted:

They're simpler, lighter,

Nope, neither of these are true. If you really hate having to use an electric cord then fine, that's personal preference, but gas mowers are most definitely not simpler or lighter. They might be comparable to battery-powered mowers, but certainly not the corded kind

Case in point:

Leviathan Song posted:

As long as you sharpen the blades and change the oil once in a while it last forever.

You've got three things to regularly worry about here: keeping it gassed up, changing the oil, and keeping the blade sharp. With electric mowers you only need to worry about the blade.

My electric motor is also a lot quieter than my old gas mower.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

litany of gulps posted:

I've been running a middle of the line greenworks corded mower in Texas for a couple of years and had no issues. I didn't want to gently caress with storing a combustion engine and gas and oil and whatnot. Worst part is that the Mexicans always laugh at me. To be fair, I first saw an Asian man using a corded mower, and I laughed.

Why did you laugh? Why do those other guys laugh? Is this some "don't want to look like I'm vacuuming the lawn" misogyny thing?

FakePoet posted:

What are the odds that a sprinkler system that possibly hasn't seen (consistent) use/maintenance in years would have zero issues with it? My brother and I bought a house in February, and haven't even messed with it yet, for a few reasons.

To add to mower chat, I did some research and ended up splurging a bit on a Honda, and have been nothing but thrilled with it; easily the best mower I've ever used. Our lot is a little under half an acre, but putting on headphones and getting out there with that doesn't even seem a chore to me, really.

By "haven't messed with" you mean that the system is running but you just haven't played with any of it yet? There's a decent chance that everything is fine, maybe one or more of the valves are leaky but that's easy to detect and fix if you just look/feel around the thing. It's unlikely that you have any underground leaks and I'm not even really sure how you'd check for such a thing other than by leaving the system off for awhile and seeing which parts go brown and which parts don't (the still-green parts would have leaky pipes under them)

SiGmA_X posted:

Brand suggestions, drip main line sizing for how many 1/4 lines, etc.

Maybe I'll find this all in the Rainbird system guide. I will take a peek tonight but goons always have an opinion!

I've never bothered actually thinking too carefully about the design of my drip system, but I can tell you that I buy all of my drip irrigation parts at Home Depot in separate pieces. I'm pretty sure they're all RainBird anyway, and if you buy one of the drip irrigation kits then you wind up paying more overall than if you had bought the pieces individually. I've got a 2-outlet watering timer, a pressure regulator on each outlet, and then I run 1/2 inch pipe to the watering boxes that need watering and 1/4 inch tubing off of that wherever drippers or soak hoses are needed. I don't really care for the 1/4 inch soak hoses that Home Depot has, they have this lovely coarse texture and they look kind of ugly compared to the normal 1/4 inch hoses; I've been slowly replacing my soak hoses with actual drippers.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Why on earth would someone put a washing machine on an upper floor

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

for what it's worth my front-loading washing machine has been nothing but wonderful

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

LogisticEarth posted:

Most laundry is "generated" in the bedrooms. Changing clothes, sheets, bath towels, etc. Putting the machine upstairs means you don't have to carry laundry up and down every time you do the wash.

Of course, if you have a leak, it can be a big problem if the room isn't designed well. If I ever were to have a unit on the second floor, I'd definitely think about putting in a floor drain in case you ever had a break.

I used to live with a 2nd floor front-loading washer and it was loud as gently caress, the vibration could be heard everywhere in the house. Apparently most of the manufacturers recommend against putting one on the second floor for this reason. In our current house, I'm happy having to walk up and down one flight of stairs instead of dealing with that. Second floor plumbing is also often a shitshow so I'm also happy to minimize those risks

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Zhentar posted:

I have a front load washer on my first floor, over basement space. No noise or vibration complaints, it's usually less noisy than most top loaders I've used.

Mine too, but then there are a million people on the internet complaining about their 2nd floor front-loading washers so it's apparently a real common issue, as it was for me a long time ago. I don't know if there's any difference between a floor over basement space vs a second story floor

Rurutia posted:

Yeah mine doesn't really vibrate much at all. :shrug:

But in any case, I think it's perfectly fair to not want an upper level washer but, QuarkJets, your question was why anyone would prefer it.

I was being facetious and implying that the advantage of having a washer right next to your upstairs bedroom was not worth the extra heartache and expense associated with upstairs washers

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rurutia posted:

That's fine but did you expect no one to disagree with you?

No, I'm just explaining what a rhetorical question is.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rurutia posted:

Probably fear mongering then cause I kept hearing about how it was a fire hazard and we were going to burn the house down around our baby.

I think it depends a lot on your setup, our dryer vent tube has some grody grating on the outside-end that catches tons of lint and poo poo and we have to clean it out yearly.

And possibly if you buy a bunch of new cottony clothes you'll get a lot more lint

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Depends on how deep the scratches are. The basic idea is to sandpaper the area, apply mineral spirits, and then apply stain. Seal with Polyurethane when the stain has dried

If the scratches are deep then you can buy some scratch-filling putty, and for that you'd do the sand + spirits thing, then fill the area, then sand + spirits again, then stain and seal.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

That's great

I'm still kind of new to this maintenance thing myself, but our home inspector was really cool and was ready to provide all sorts of handy maintenance information. Mostly it's poo poo like "look at the pipes under your sink, check for moisture beyond just condensation, tighten slightly if there's moisture" and "look at the irrigation gaskets, check for moisture, if there's moisture then something is wrong"

Other than that it seems like a lot of common sense stuff that people just deliberately ignore for some reason. If an outlet stops working, hire an electrician, that sort of thing.

We replaced the lovely old rubber hoses connecting the washer and the fridge to the water line with nice steel-braid hoses. That seemed like a good idea and it hardly cost anything.

Keep things clean, generally. Don't let leaves pile up against the house. Keep trees trimmed back so that they're not touching the house. Check the dryer vent yearly, and if it's full of lint then clean it out.

HVAC maintenance is something that I know nothing about but I think there are some pretty simple things to do there. You can at least keep the filters clean every few months (by either replacing them or cleaning them if it's the reusable kind)

You're supposed to clean dirt off of your fridge's coils every 6-12 months but I don't know anyone who actually does this. It could save you a bunch of money, potentially

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

canyoneer posted:

One of our friends in the neighborhood got a visit from an A/C contractor in the area. I guess the company that used to service their unit got bought by another so they called down the list offering free A/C system diagnostics. Their system has been a little weak (not as bad as yours), and they're worrying that their 15 year old unit is about to go.

The guys helpfully diagnosed the problem that yep, it's going to go ANY DAY NOW and they should just get it replaced right away and we're running a special so it will be only $8,000 to get it done. Don't worry, we offer financing at 6.9%!
They told them thanks but no thanks.

Is that a real thing? Why would anyone replace their adequately functioning unit because they expect at some point in the future it won't be adequately functioning?

I don't know much about hvac systems but my guess is that they're more likely to fail on a hot day, meaning everyone will be calling for service at the same time and you might have to go without AC for awhile. Some people might willingly shell out extra to prevent that sort of thing

I would also expect an older unit to consume more power, so maybe there's some savings to be had there to help justify it? No idea if that's accurate

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I've never actually gone around up in my attic. It's not finished or anything and I haven't really had much reason to. Maybe just to do a brief inspection? What's the general rule, stick to the wood beams and you'll be fine? Bring wood planks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

emocrat posted:

What do people here do for fire/smoke alarms? We had a minor scare the other night and are now looking at what we can do for real protection.

The nest product looked perfect, although pricey, but by all reports they straight up don't function effectively and have a high in incidence of false alarms.

Does anyone have a central station fire alarm? If so what did it cost and how difficult was the install? Does anyone know of any non nest IP enabled system? Trying to find all my options to evaluate.

:siren: The International Association of Fire Fighters recommends that people only use Photoelectric smoke detectors, going so far as to recommend that you replace your Ionization and Dual-Sensor detectors with Photoelectric smoke detectors

If you have gas hookups then it's also important to have carbon monoxide detectors, at least one near the bedrooms but more is preferable.

Beyond making sure that you have photoelectric smoke detectors, the recommendation is that you check the batteries each month. That's it. There are many smoke alarm brands that can be interconnected so that they all go off when one goes off, some of them are very affordable (~$20 each, or cheaper if you buy a bundle). If you buy hard-wired smoke detectors, it's better to get the low-voltage kind. You don't need to connect your smoke alarms to the internet, that doesn't convey any safety advantages; the Nest is trendy but it's seriously overpriced.