Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Moss on walkways is easy to remove, but if it's on dirt just leave it alone imo moss looks cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'd try out the $800 guy if you can verify that he's insured. Are these ratings from BBB or somewhere else? Check their listings with the BBB too, if you haven't.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Well, poo poo. The professional septic engineer laid out the plans to fix the septic problem.

The new leach field for blackwater will cover my entire back yard, the part that isn't already occupied by the septic system. I'm going to have no garden space. I already checked with him: you can't put any kind of raised bed on a leach field, because you don't want to add extra moisture to the soil.

This sucks beyond the telling of it. I've waited 3 years to put in my garden, and I won't be able to; it's containers from here on out, which rules out any serious fruit-growing. The front yard is a gravel parking area. The blackwater leach field cannot be put there, because that's where the well is.

Don't offer solutions, please. It's .09 acre, most of which is occupied by the house, and the existing (failed) blackwater handling is a "leach pit", which was a hole full of rocks under the soil. This is an accredited and licensed septic engineer, who knows both the county and the state officials he has to work with.

This sucks. A lot.

You can grow serious amounts of fruit in pots. In Hawaii I've grown numerous potted pineapples (basically they're shrubs), lilikoi (vines), lemons (just one tree), and many tomato plants if you want to get technical about what counts as a fruit. I've heard people grow apples in pots, I never would have guessed that that's a possibility but it's been done. Don't give up!

Are you allowed to put anything at all on the leach field? If pots are okay, can you build a raised deck that drains water out to a gutter? Then raised beds (with their own drains) become an option

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Catatron Prime posted:

Again, that really blows you can't do raised beds like you were wanting... though, could you maybe do tabletop raised beds? My neighbor does this and I'm legitimately jealous of their setup. That plus a greenhouse would be my ideal!

Is that what those are called, Tabletop Raised Beds? I've constructed a bunch of these from scratch and just called them "elevated" raised beds, I didn't know what their actual name is. These let me make use of some concrete sections of my yard that are absolutely sun-drenched, they're great

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PainterofCrap posted:

I may sound dim here; my wife plants tomatoes, peppers & a few other things in beds on legs. I set them up with a cheap drip irrigation system on a timer. We've done this three years running, and I've never seen water drain out of these boxes except when its raining hard, and no sign that the zoyzia is any higher under them due to an increase in moisture. The stuff growing in those boxes are sucking it all up.

So I apologize if the issue is that code prohibits any such thing to be set on top of a leach field, irrespective of whether it actually contributes excess moisture or not.

With my tabletop raised beds I created a wide gutter underneath the bed that drained into a different part of the yard, if anything the beds improved my yard's storm drainage a tiny bit thanks to this.

A lot of gardeners just use a hose so I guess the advice given to OP is probably with that in mind

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MEIN RAVEN posted:

So this is the month where a lot of poo poo just seems to be going wrong for the gently caress of it. I'm dealing with a $700 water bill that the water company initially said must be a leak, but after having plumbers out and paying them $$$, it appears that....the water person just read the meter wrong. Because meters don't go backwards. So gently caress me there.

And also I'm trying to switch mortgage insurance companies, and the new company honed in on one corner of the house where a small (like 2 inches of one shingle) part of the siding came off thanks to my dumbfuck father "helping" me with another repair. So now they've got me by the balls and are demanding that I fix this one shingle, or they're cancelling my insurance. Or they've already cancelled it and might "reinstate it" if I can document the repair. And the insurance agent just said to call a repairman because there are multiple acceptable fixes that the underwriter noted but they can't just...tell me? For some reason? gently caress me. Happy birthday.

Anyway, I wanted to vent and also ask if anyone has any suggestions for fixing a small siding issue. I just put up a request on Angi's list, but mostly I'm worried that I won't be able to find someone for such a small repair before May, which is how long I have to fix it. I live in the Seattle area, if that matters to anyone.

Go to the hardware store and ask them for contractor recommendations

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

I'm in the market for a Murphy bed, but really don't have any idea where to start. Any suggestions from folks?

Buy IBM, Apple, Microsoft, and Google stocks, I know these companies don't exist yet in your timeline but buy them when they do!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

What's a cleanout?

I think some people call it a bidet

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I see, thanks for the explanation. On the one hand, I can definitely understand wanting to control the amount of profit that insurance companies can skim off of the economy...on the other hand, there's no sense telling them that they have to insure at a loss.

That second one hasn't happened, fwiw

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

When the models are wrong, either the insurance company pockets extra profit or gets bailed out.

Maybe the real answer is to have a public insurance option

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

m0therfux0r posted:

So, as everyone suggested, I did end up putting a Clorox puck in the tank. It's definitely working as far as making whatever is floating up significantly less visible (though I must admit I really hate the chlorine smell). It's been in there for a little over a week. However, I noticed that stuff is still floating up- it's really hard to see unless you're looking for it, but it's there- it's just bleached now so it's really difficult to see. Does that mean it's actually killing whatever's in there or that it's just a different color now? The reason I'm asking is because I don't want to leave a bleach puck in there all the time- I know it's bad for the toilet components, and I hate how I get blasted with "old pool" smell every time I start peeing. So if that means it's not "killing" it, I'd rather move onto something else.

I hate posts that don't give enough information, the thread can't answer your question until you tell us what the water tastes like

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Upgrade posted:

A coworker is buying a new construction home and passing on an inspection because they can’t afford it. RIP

lol is someone buying the house for them, what is happening

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

ReStore is good for this too.

Don't get me wrong, there is a LOT of straight up junk, but you can also get some really solid furniture that just needs a light refinish or even just a good cleaning. Bookshelves in particular are a good score there.

I've gotten a few really great things from ReStore, including a rug, some matching nightstands, and a really nice corner desk. I think you're more likely to strike gold by hitting estate sales but then you have to actually go to estate sales

We've also had great luck getting rid of old stuff with ReStore donations. For bigger things they'll even come and and pick it up, we wanted to get rid of an old couch that was in good condition but just kind of old-looking and their guys came out and took it away and gave us a donation receipt. Outdated light fixtures, extra building materials, tools that you just don't want anymore, they'll accept a lot of stuff. This is also how I got rid of an old car, an early-1990s toyota camry "beach cruiser" that I was driving around for beach trips when I finally decided that it was time to retire it. The dealership couldn't find anyone willing to accept it as a trade-in, but ReStore sent out out a tow truck and hauled it away

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 6, 2024

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

#lifehax: make a couch out of some throw cushions and three old washing machines placed next to each other

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

A non-contact voltage tester is a good thing to use even when you're feeling confident that you've turned off the correct circuit breaker; you never know what Gary might have done to your circuits. I always use one when I'm working with electricity. One time I was replacing some outlets in an older house and discovered that a group of outlets had their neutral line energized whenever the home's air conditioner was running - safely working with either circuit meant having to turn off both circuit breakers, which were not joined in the breaker panel (which is the requirement in newer construction for shared neutral configurations)

tl;dr always use a non-contact voltage tester when you're about to touch your home's electrical circuits

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I wouldn't do anything about that, maybe water the trees some more cause the ground looks very dry. What kind of trees do you have?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Our house came with 2 huge rolls of carpet in the garage, matching the kind of carpet that's basically all throughout the rest of the house. I don't know how old they are but they're in great shape

... is there any reason to keep these around? I was thinking of cutting into one of them to make some throw rugs or something and then maybe donating the other, reclaiming that corner of our garage in the process.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

CarForumPoster posted:

lmao oh good an inspector who has never actually built anything, truly what the world needs more of

how about bein a cowboy? imo OP should skip lawn care and go straight to suckin dick and wranglin cattle

montana or bustin nutz

Inspectors look at a lot of things, and I imagine they don't need to have been employed in literally all of those trades. Like imagine if inspector certification required 3 years as a roofer, 3 years as an electrician, etc. Those careers would be beneficial, no doubt, but maybe it's ok to train a former roofer on how to test outlets and how to inspect breaker panels as part of getting certified as an inspector

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You've stared too long into the abyss, you must now become Gary

e: Use zip ties to "secure" the bracket

e2: The problem is actually that the ceiling is too high, obviously. Decrease the height of the ceiling by half an inch, use whatever creative means necessary

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 19, 2024

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I bought a battery-powered Ego chainsaw, it's been an excellent purchase. I bring it out three or four times per year, check that it has oil, slap a battery in it and away we go. Excellent tool to have around and I'm glad that I don't have to deal with gasoline whenever I need to use it

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Don't use a chainsaw to cut telephone lines, that's stupidly dangerous! You have to use a polesaw instead

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Our roof is old, so we're collecting quotes for replacement

lol I want to die

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

All structures are temporary structures

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

people complain about hoas a lot but you just need to learn how to effectively deal with them, when it comes to paint rules you can use whatever color you want and if the hoa complains spray poo poo onto the president's house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Did your dishwasher come with a manual? That's what I would check first if I didn't know how to use it