Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You should probably not go trying to fix a bunch of poo poo for free in a place that you rent. Even if the outlet covers are $1 do you really not value your time at all? You're also making yourself liable if something goes horribly wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah and if you have two old A/C units working together then I'd expect one failing to sometimes be a "straw that broke the camel's back" for the other. It's too bad but doesn't actually seem that improbable

The one that was looked at by the repair guy probably just needs to be looked at again, he may have missed something or done something improperly.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

OSU_Matthew posted:

Personally, I've had both the nest thermostat and protect for two years now, and I seriously couldn't be happier with both systems. I've smoked out my kitchen on several occasions, one of which caused the nest to warn me the kitchen alarm was about to go off before actually going off, which gave me time to cancel it without an ear piercing screech. The monthly verbal tests are wrist great, and I also really like that I can monitor/get alerts from anywhere. Best part is, the mobile app is far better than FLIR's cameras or Smart Things or any other smart home thingy I've tried so far. Worth every penny, in my opinion. Especially because previously I had battery detectors that just died, without any notice, and I had no idea I was living with dead detectors for who knows how long, since they worked fine when I bought the house. Now that I've had a wired nest for awhile, I'm never going back to dumb detectors.

I think this is a good endorsement for having wired detectors, period, but I'd like to emphasize that the Nest detectors are about $100 each whereas most wired smoke detectors are only $20. If you're willing to pay extra to get alerts sent to your phone then that's fine, I just want people to be aware that lower-tech wired smoke detectors exist and work really well

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Oh so two days ago my backyard had some minor flooding, which I assumed was because I had just hosed up some piece of the drip irrigation system that I've been messing around with in that same area. It's all hooked up to a timer on the hose spout so easy enough to just close everything up, set up a hose to siphon the water out, and then let the rest dry out.

Well this morning the area was more flooded than ever, like water up to just below the ankles in a few spots. It looks like maybe there's a leak near one of the sprinkler heads. I shut off the main valve to the irrigation system, setup the siphon again, and now the whole area is basically dry. I'm really hoping that it's just a problem with one of the sprinkler valves not closing all the way and that I won't have to dig up anything or mess with the knotted mess of loving wires (holy gently caress there's a huge concrete slab separating the valves from the sprinkler timer, the wires appear to go below the god drat slab, why why why why why). The sprinkler valves are all above-ground so it'll be really easy to fix if that's the case.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Economic Sinkhole posted:

Another recommendation for Nest Protect. Yes they are $100 smoke detectors and yes, they are worth that much. Wireless interconnect between wired and battery smokes means I don't have to run wires when I add smokes in the bedrooms. They test themselves monthly when I'm not home using a built in microphone so I don't have to hear it. Low battery alerts are sent to the app instead of chirping at 3 AM. I've never had a false alarm. They detect CO. The app gives me a little peace of mind- I always think I'm going to come home from vacation to a smoking crater. It is moderately comforting knowing that I'll at least get a notification if my house burns down while I'm away without having to pay for alarm monitoring. Oh yeah, it ties in with my Rachio sprinkler controller to turn on the sprinklers if the alarm goes off to try to prevent the fire from spreading (lol).

I've heard some bad stories about the battery-only nests, apparently they're notorious for either going off for no reason and then ignoring silence commands, or they suddenly die and the network just silently ignores it.

I think that you're always safer with wired smoke detectors that have as little software in them as possible. As these are safety devices, you want a failure state to be noticeable and obvious, and you want to eliminate the possibility of a failure state going unnoticed. Silently sending a notification to your phone is a convenience and will be fine in the vast majority of cases, but it also poses an unnecessary risk should your phone become inaccessible when a key alarm fails. I will acknowledge that we're firmly in paranoid territory here, but statistically speaking this does mean that nests are slightly less safe

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

moana posted:

Also had to tear out the insulation that the dumbass previous owners had installed right up against the roofing in the garage; so that's how moisture builds up to rot roofs from the inside out! But at least it kept the garage a little warmer in the winter for them!

Huh, learned something new today

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

GameCube posted:

The house I bought is full of spiders. I realize that this means I need to take care of the bugs that are luring the spiders in, but I also need to get rid of all these loving spiders, because I cannot do any laundry or store anything in the basement until these loving spiders are gone. The Internet says to vacuum them up, but what do I do once I have a vacuum filled with a teeming mass of hairy legs and mandibles? Set it on fire?

You throw the vacuum bag away. The suggestion only works if you don't have a bagless vacuum

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pryor on Fire posted:

What the hell are you guys talking about do the spiders breed in the vacuum bag and then millions burst out and overwhelm your house or something oh god oh god oh god

No, calm down. The suggestion was to use a vacuum cleaner to suck up the spiders and then dispose of the vacuum bag in the garbage; then the spiders are gone.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

But vacuums aren't brooms

Like you don't think that the spiders are going to escape while the vacuum is running, do you? Spiders wind up in the bottom of the bag, and once there they're very unlikely to escape easily because there's only a small opening that they're probably not going to find, and they definitely won't be able to escape while the vacuum is running. Turn off the vacuum, take the bag to the trash, take the trash to the curb

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Thufir posted:

I like mulching and/or chuting because I am lazy.

Same. When I mowed as a kid my parents always had me bag, but I don't think that any of us realized that mulching is even an option. But it doesn't just save time, it's also better for the lawn.

I'm interested in getting rid of my lawn entirely but I have so many other things going on that we haven't even started really planning or looking at what we might want to do instead.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Over the winter (I live in a warm place) I managed to get my lawn watering levels to just the right point such that I never had to mow but the grass didn't turn brown.

But now I have to turn off the whole irrigation system because there's a huge leak somewhere and I'm going to have to dig out and replace that section of pipe

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Oh poo poo I bought a short sale that just blew all the leaves to the edges of the property. From the 9 years they had the house and then a year of vacancy. I have sections where I have to shovel up soggy cardboard thick leaves.

Can I just take a can of gas and burn the poo poo all up?

Do not set your yard on fire unless you really know what you're doing. Like you could maybe dig a fire break and burn the leaves safely but that would take more effort than just picking up the leaves. If you're interested in gardening at all, you could try setting up the leaves for compost.

Look on the bright side, if picking up a bunch of old leaves is the worst that you have to deal with in a short sale house, that's really great!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

uwaeve posted:

I splurged for a roomba 650 2 weeks ago, Target and Amazon had them on sale for 325.

I honestly don't know how I lived without the thing. It doesn't replace vacuuming, but it seems like we can go a lot longer between vacuuming, and the house is much tidier throughout the period between.

I read the whole sweethome article, they give good info about a couple models.

Maybe there's a psychological component here, like you know that the floor has to be tidy in order for the roomba to work well so maybe you're keeping the floor tidier as a result? That'd be a neat benefit

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah if you juice them then making good cider is exceptionally easy, cheap, and delicious. Juicing apples is pretty simple but does take some effort

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nessa posted:

We've just been putting the apples in our friend's dumpster because there's so many of them. How are you supposed to turn all the apples into tasty things if you're being bombarded by hundreds of them per day?

It's a lot of hard work, but that's the whole point of preserving / juicing / fermenting them. It sucks that you'll have to peel most of them because of scab but if you get an apple peeler then that should at least make the process a bit faster.

Realistically you probably won't have time to use them all without some help, and that's okay too.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

lwoodio posted:

I've been cockblocked from installing my own shower head by a literal metal dick. What the hell is this, there is no threading on it.

Edit: apparently it's a ball end shower arm from the 60's

what in the gently caress

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sometimes I encounter houses with those tacky white plastic office blinds. Why? Why are these here, in a house? They're completely ineffective at blocking light and they look like poo poo. Why were they even installed in the first place?

Where I live it's also popular to install wire shelves in closets, which I think is awesome. They're extremely functional, they're cheap, they're easy to install, all of the hardware stores carry them... it's basically ideal for a tiny room that stores stuff. It's the epitome of "substance over style" but I still think they look good. Wooden shelves are fine too, but when I see closets that are using some exotic wood for closet shelves it just makes me want to gag

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I think for the same price (or not much more) you could do cheap drapes that would provide privacy but would also look 1000 times better. Cheap drape bars cost almost nothing, likewise for cheap cloth drapes

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I've been meaning to upgrade one of our bathroom outlets to GFCI and your post has inspired me to actually get this done, and now I'm considering replacing all of our floor-level outlets with tamper-resistant outlets (because we have a baby on the way and it turns out that tamper-resistant outlets actually aren't that expensive)

One question though, why would you need wire nuts to replace an outlet? Isn't it just a matter of moving the same wires from the old outlet to the new outlet?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Just installed my first outlet, which has tamper-resistant receptacles and 2 USB port. Plugged the receptacle tester into each receptacle, everything's good! I was also really careful about cutting off any exposed copper (because this outlet had push-in-and-then-tighten receptacles instead of the loop-around-a-screw thing that the older outlet used), so I'm not worried about my amateur skills resulting in a fire starting behind the wall

Most of the ground wire was covered in white paint, aside from a small length on the end. How does that even happen?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Call the township and tell them that his weeds are overgrown

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

He's probably a serial killer no big deal

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Irritated Goat posted:

I recently bought a house, may god have mercy on my soul. We starting moving in the following Wednesday.

Saturday, we evacuated because the entire neighborhood and surrounding streets were flooding.

Awesome, right? FEMA says "haha, gently caress you. you had flood insurance". Flood Insurance gives me like half of what my house is worth even though I sustained like 3 feet of water from the ground up.

I was lucky enough to still have my apartment and essentials for my family. I go to ask my mortgage company about a forbearance and get told "Sure" :mrgw: "You'll have to pay back all 3 months at the end of the forbearance though" :mrwhite:

In essence, this whole thing has mostly been a poo poo show.

Half of what the house is worth, or half of what the house + land is worth?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Is the insurance company just cutting you a check or will they be paying the contractors? It could be that your contractor was just telling you that it's a lowball estimate because he's hoping to get more money. I'm sure that the insurance company wants to pay as little as possible but $60k might be an okay amount for appliances, doors, and walls. The countertops probably wouldn't be much more to replace, if they need replacing

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

lol nice tripping hazard

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Also, I like buying lovely-looking but comfortable-feeling couches on the cheap and then throwing a nice slipcover on them.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

Fences are surprisingly more expensive than I thought.

I have two quotes now, one just over $7000 and the other at around $6500, and should have a third by today or tomorrow.

I could get it cheaper if I went with cedar over vinyl, but I like the idea of a lot less maintenance. Just a wash with a hose or pressure washer, and checking to make sure the hardware is all still tight. No re-sealing or staining or any of that crap. Plus, I feel like as rot resistant as cedar is, vinyl will still last longer.

But I will admit it doesn't look as nice.

Agreed, we researched the cost of a new fence when we bought our house because the fence had some rotted boards (which were definitely just pine boards that were hastily put up and then primed+painted, so the boards began to rot between the cracks where the paint didn't get in so well). The cost of a good fence is so exorbitant that we opted to replace the rotted boards with boards that we painted ourselves, so the fence at least looks nice until we can save up for something better.

Vinyl sounds really convenient, so that's something that we considered, but another economical option was to buy a bunch of SimTek ecostone panels and do the installation ourselves. We thought the panels look good and are light enough for 2 people to handle (60 lbs), and you can just pick them up at Home Depot. Sounds like a huge pain in the rear end and a nightmare if you do it wrong, but you could feasibly save a lot of money. I think we've settled on saving up for some kind of stone fence

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It's also not necessary to check what model the old one was, it's fine to replace ionization alarms with photoelectric alarms. It's recommended, even. Pull it off of the ceiling and see if it's hard-wired or not.

The International Association of Fire Alarms only endorses photoelectric alarms, for what it's worth. They say that ionization alarms suck, and combination alarms are a lot more expensive and don't provide much additional benefit over photoelectric alarms. They're also well-known for being good kitchen alarms, they're less susceptible to going off from a tiny bit of cooking vapor

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

life is killing me posted:

My house was built in 2014, and yeah I think the whole house goes off at once just from the one in the kitchen, which is why neither me nor my wife can do much else but sob uncontrollably every time we try to cook breakfast.

Got a new smoke/fire detector this week, just need to install it now

Replacing your ionization alarm in the kitchen with a photoelectric alarm could solve that problem

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah the lithium ion batteries in a smoke detector can last a decade before you need to replace them, which is great. All that you need to do at that point is test them monthly (which no one ever does, but that's the recommendation). But having a redundant power source just makes sense; if the house power goes off or the battery suddenly dies, you still want the smoke detectors to work

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

HEY NONG MAN posted:

But if the power goes out and the battery is dead then you die. What then???

Doomsday prepper backup generators, you fool

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

OSU_Matthew posted:

Bingo, you set up a couple of gas generators in your basement so you can power your monoxide detector

It's perfect. Like the circle of life

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

King Burgundy posted:

It could be worse.

Check out this "Unique one of a kind finishing completed by a professional!"

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/24-Brentwood-Dr-Avon-CT-06001/59011376_zpid/

Ugh that's so ugly, whoever did this has no taste. Every single picture is like a collage of "we wanted to make our house look as ugly and tacky as possible"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

That doesn't make it less ugly or less stupid

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

With rates less than 4%, you're probably better off investing rather than paying the mortgage off early. That said, paying the mortgage down obviously carries less risk and is still a good choice

Probably you should make sure that you are making a maximum yearly contribution to an IRA and to your 401k before you start paying extra into your mortgage

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Grumpwagon posted:

Tax benefits and the ability to roll it over to Vanguard when you move companies probably still make it worth it.

It sounds like they might all be active funds, which IIRC tend to underperform by a few percent vs index funds. If the performance of those funds is poor, then he might be better off investing in index funds with a taxable account.

I think the answer between "contribute to 401k cap" and "invest in taxable accounts instead" would depend on how poorly those funds perform, how much higher their expense ratios are, and your tax bracket. And it also depends on how much you value liquidity

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah I think it's best to max out your 401k employer match and make sure that you have 3-6 months of living expenses saved up, beyond that paying down your mortgage early and investing more for retirement are both good options

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

LogisticEarth posted:

Re: leaf raking. Why is everyone raking their entire yard? I've always read it was way better to just mow them over, mulching them into the grass and improving soil health.

There are definitely limiting returns to doing that; we wind up with a thick mat of leaves and twigs covering (and killing) the grass if we just mow. Eventually they still need to get raked

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

baquerd posted:

It sounds like you have a crap mower for mulching leaves. My grass is basically spotless going from full leaf cover after a pass with a mulching mower.

That's what happens with our grass too, but eventually we get so many leaf fragments that the leaves (combined with water and cut grass) wind up creating a cover of organic matter after a couple of months. I don't think that getting a better mulcher would really change that, as the issue is the amount of material, not the fineness of the mulch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

AC maintenance guy told me today that our R22 AC will probably die in 5-10 years, but maybe sooner, and that replacing it is probably $15k in today's dollars because of the additional work involved. Didn't seem like he was trying to sell us anything, just wanted us to be aware

Time to adjust those long term maintenance numbers!