Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

VendaGoat posted:

80 bags of mulch. 80 loving bags of mulch to fill in all the plant bullshit I have going on outside.

It is much cheaper to have a truckload delivered. This reminds me I need a landscaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Only goons would spend so much effort to not bend over.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

No Butt Stuff posted:

Now I've just got to figure out what I'm going to call it when I submit the request for approval.

Pergola from Latin pergula ‘projecting roof,’

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You will still own the land but I would think 400k should be doable. Try chuub not only are they awesome but they are named after an erect penis.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I find 2500 sq feet to work out nicely for three kids. That gives me one spare bedroom for guests and three upstairs bathrooms. I can do three baths simultaneously.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
How can a range of bids from well reviewed contractors be $1,100 to $26,500? I mean if you are going to be 26 times the price you must just only get people that only get one bid and happen to have just won the lotto.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

HEY NONG MAN posted:

One time I came home in the middle of the day to check on a new cleaner and she had done zero work but was in my basement throwing up in the bathroom hungover. Perfection.

Don't make your booze so hard to find next time ahole and I will do a better job.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
A proper home has an outdoor space with a roof that includes a wet kitchen area to prep your grilling meats. It also has a big rear end TV so you can watch football.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

QuarkJets posted:

If you're too much of a football addict to miss a few minutes of the game while attending to the grill (for real, you should spend almost no time next to the grill while grilling) then just get a tablet that you can bring outside. Buying and installing an outdoor television seems like a waste of time and money when there are easier, cheaper, better options available

Why are you going back inside? Oh because you don't have an outdoor TV that's why.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
If the house is abandoned, just cut the tree so it falls into the neighbors yard and leave it. Either way send the owner certified notice that the tree is a hazard so you can sue them for damages. If you don't it falling is just an act of God and you can't sue him.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Part of the job is installing a trap. We don't even have one.

I think he means in the slow sinks. Just pull from the bottom of the sink to the wall and scoop out the gunk. Maybe you find a wedding ring. Maybe you find a used condom. It is a game.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
$5,500 seems high to me get more quotes. A full on tile shower of large size is only $10,000 and that is much more labor and material. Are you getting fancy thick glass doors or something? Those can be pricey.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Nail Rat posted:

I don't see why you would give a gently caress about your zestimate unless you were going to sell anyway.

Even then who cares. It is like the craigslist people that quote you kelly blue book prices on 25 year old cars. Yes my spotless 1967 copo camaro is worth $500. I accept your offer. I am not going to consider what identical cars actually sell for.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The reason they want to match the two is the coil size calculation requires you know the airflow rate of the fan to make it work right. They have no way to properly match the new AC with your ready to fail furnace. If the air flow is wrong you won't get proper dehumidification. You will get a funky wet cold air thing going. (See mold houses) Also the labor to install the coil is the same as replacing the furnace so you realize those savings. Most modern furnaces integrate with the AC condenser for efficiency also. I don't think 98% is worth the extra bucks 96% seems to be the sweet spot with cheap natural gas. I also didn't bother with a heat pump since gas is so cheap.

I paid 9k to get a new 5 ton AC and 96% furnace installed. This heats and cools a 3400 sf house in Indiana. I would spring for a pricer AC unit next time mine sounds like a jet engine. It was the best one stage compressor carrier sold. My house needs to run balls to the wall to cool the stupidly designed upstairs with a giant hole to the downstairs so a lower stage would leave me hot upstairs. My furnace guy was not the cheapest but he is competent and practical. He talked me out of more expensive options since I am a huge diaper baby about being cold or hot. He said they wouldn't help. I also bought a fancy furnace with a huge rear end filter and humidifier. It compensates for my badly designed ducts.

I would get a ton of bids in person to find the right installer. Retrofitting is super hard to get just right. I think not replacing your furnace is penny wise and pound foolish. If you don't want to waste it though just get a window AC unit.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

canyoneer posted:

https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/4m4ai8/someone_just_ripped_out_all_the_plants_in_my/

From reddit, HOA destroys ficus trees on a quadriplegic's property because they are "poorly trimmed"

I don't see proof it was the HOA. More likely the ahole neighbors reporting the violation when vigilante.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

gregday posted:

What's a reasonable rate for an electrician to charge to install a single additional receptacle to an upstairs room over a garage (where the circuit breaker panel is located)? There's only one upstairs room so it's adjacent to any attic space.

There are at least 100 things that can make this impossible to answer. Let's start with one, is your house wired to current code standards? Anyway rate is location specific but my guys flat rate is $100 an hour. You would pay that times the hours it takes plus materials.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Did you ask the roofer you liked the best what time of year the prices are the lowest? Surely they have a slow time. I would get it done then but small leaks at most usually only ruin decking which is not that much to replace.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
fairfield county CT

This is where rich NY City jerks move too. Things be pricey. Those stones look flat and nicely spaced. Good stuff.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Buy a used rider on Craigslist for $300, change the blades and stay fat. People sell them when they move all the time.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think he is asking about the water that drains off your cooling coil that is inside of your furnace. If you had a lot of rain the water is either coming up through the floor, or seeping in through a wall and collecting in a low spot on your floor. It could be coming in all the time just not in enough quantity to collect. Is your basement finished? Check your baseboards for discoloration. You can also pull up the carpet it will have mildew along the route.

The good news is if it is coming in through a wall that is the cheapest fix, but first try cleaning your gutters and diverting the downspouts farther from the house.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
There should be a pan in the furnace that collects the water if that is full that is it, (normally there is a overflow switch that shuts the furnace off when it is plugged) but that looks like it is coming through the foundation. If your sump pit is close by should not be that expensive of a fix. (Famous last words I should be a Realtor.)

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
But what if your vacuum has a hole in the filters and all the baby spider get blown out in a cloud of baby spiders that cover your body and lungs in baby spiders?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Your neighbors will all pray for your death no matter how considerate you are so don't stress out about pleasing people concerned with grass clippings.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Zoro tools sometime has a good sale on Hubble switches. You will wear out your finger before you wear them out. I also like the outlets they grab the plugs without getting weaker each time.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I would splurge on the needle nose. The cheap ones suck. Also wagos are amazing for fixing wtf this is too short in the box problems.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I'm glad my neighbor just gives me dirty looks at least he doesn't want to borrow anything. I think he is mad his friend got foreclosed on and somehow that is my fault. Either that or he is just an ahole. I planted a huge tree on the property line that will clog his second story gutters with poo poo. I have the bigger side yard. I got hoa approval letter first. Landscape modification approved. I will rule this hoa with my larger disposable income and ability to have the office pool write endless letters.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Report your card lost or dispute

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You should replace smoke detectors every 10 years. A sweet thing about the hard wired ones is they are all connected so it makes an ear bleeding sound when all 10 of them are blasting at the same time.

Edit: You can also get a combo carbon monoxide one for a few bucks more if you burn any fuels in your house.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
One mans art is another mans smeared wall of copper feces.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Natural gas grills are usually in stock including Weber brand at your local big box or grill store. Beat by drat Bananas.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
My old house had a sidewalk that went up a weird hill where if you walked up it you would get stuck where the sidewalk stopped because the next property had never been subdivided and forced to install a sidewalk. The hill also was moving away from the street so the top of the sidewalk kind stopped at a jump down point. Anyway I found it amusing to build a sidewalk to nowhere. I guess they hope to someday force a sidewalk there even though there is no ground to build it on.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You may be surprised to learn that the local government has made it legal for people to enter your property temporarily as a sort of right of way that extends beyond the street. Big rocks are probably your best bet to discourage this if you don't have a fire hose to spray people with. A landscape supply company can deliver them on a truck with a moffett type forklift and place them where you point. It may not be legal for you to place them where you want but worst case you get a letter telling you to move them.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

uwaeve posted:

This is the only thing I can ever think of when someone talks about buying landscape material off CL.

I thought for sure it was going to end with the guy getting $100 to come back and haul the rocks off while the guy was still at work.

Boulders are usually sold by the ton plus delivery. Different sizes and quantities cost different prices not to mention if you live close to a quarry the prices will be much lower.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I budget a new grill every 3 years. That is about how long the cheap ones last without a cover. If you buy them in the late fall they get pretty cheap in snow country. I usually get a charbroil IR one for $150. I grill every month. (Yes I will die of cancer if my arteries don't get clogged and kill me first). I have dumpster at work to dispose of the bodies or someone on craigslist will usually come get it for scrap.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Get a prevaccumed tank from Walmart or wherever and get it filled at a local guy that uses a scale. Those blue Rhino tanks don't get filled up very much. I go all summer on the local hardware store tank, one month on the swap out tanks.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
That ^ or just put a couple chunks in the trash each week until it is gone. Depends on how big your pile is. It makes great erosion protection. Gabion Basket feature?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

DJCobol posted:

I really hope it played music like those stupid motion sensitive wall hanging fish things from the 90s.

Take Me to the River or Mr. Postman? Why not both!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
There are also chemicals that will unoxidize that iron. Wire brush and rustoleum though will probably do it. Unbolting them and taking them to a powder coater would be the ballerest move.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Mowing twice a week just a little is one of the keys to crowding out weeds without blasting the storm drains with herbicide. I don't do it but if you want no weeds and all grass it is the way of the lawn master.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Homeownership: Do you even measure the cut height of your mower?