Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
five hours into trying to fix a clog in the kitchen sink caused by the wife doing ??? and all I've accomplished so far is replacing rotten plastic washers in the trap pipe. clog still remains in mystery location. I hate this

garbage disposals are the worst invention ever, it's just more poo poo to go wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

devmd01 posted:

What is everyone’s opinion on the earliest time it is acceptable to start mowing on a weekend and not be an rear end in a top hat to your neighbors? 830?

There's a 99% chance your municipality has a noise ordinance covering this. It's probably 9am. Watch out for differences due to religious reasons too, some places have shorter hours on Sunday. I've heard some real strict places actually have blanket bans on Sunday

Also I think mowing when there's dew is a bad idea

here's mine

quote:

Please not that lawn equipment may only be operated between 8 a.m. and 9 p.m., Monday through Friday; between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. on Saturdays and between 10 a.m. and 9 p.m. on Sundays and holidays.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 12, 2018

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Door question. I'm sure I've posted in the past about my cold room in this stupid house that I ignored until it gets cold, which it has.

Basically, the majority of the house is built over a basement. There's a side room over a slab, with 70 year old windows , and it isn't connected to HVAC but has its own pass through wall heater/ac.

The door from the living room to the cold room is a poorly fitting french door with a gap in the middle and at bottom. This means 5 months out of the year there's a horrible freezing draft unless we want to run the heater nonstop.

What's the best way to replace this door? I just used a piece of insulation and plastic sheeting last year whcih worked well but my wife threw a tantrum. Atthis point I just want to put a heavy curtain/drape up and cut the draft with that.
She, of course, insists we replace all windows and install a new heater. In lieu of that she wants french doors put in.

The interior dimensions are 31" wide and 79-80 tall (there's carpet that could be cut back). Im worried that any interior door we got that fits won't have insulation qualities worth poo poo and it'll still be a horrible cold draft. Is exterior door the way to go, including ripping out the current frame to fit a real door?

I wish this stupid room didn't even exist on the house. Every single house in the subdivision has one of these but most are more integrated than ours and it's super frustrating.

Tldr my question is how can I put an insulated door that looks good/has windows in an interior doorway of a house, for cheap

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 12, 2018

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
There's a vertical gap in the middle between the two half doors that's about an inch. Oh and forgot to mention, it's somewhat louvered on the upper half of each door. I guess I could fill the vertical and bottom gaps somehow and then put something on the back of the louvers to block that

To make it clear:

Prior owner bought a pair of these for what's apparently decoration and didn't measure. The other pair is into the kitchen and can't even close against each other since that's 2 inches narrower

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 12, 2018

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
That garage weatherstripping looks perfect for short term. We do have a refurbished type place nearby that we were going to look at doors at but that was going to take a while I'm sure because I'm more concerned about insulation than looks. Heck, if I seal the door well I won't need to buy a bunch of the plastic window stuff I used last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

The Big Jesus posted:

Thought I had the place all buttoned up to sell. Then my realtor calls to tell me my basement is flooded :wtf: okay maybe not flooded like wearing gaiters or anything but maybe an inch of water on half the floor.

got a group out there today and they want to charge me $2900 to leave a dehumidifier and four fans there for three days... Seeking new quotes but this seems like 2-3x how much it should cost? Also they couldn't figure out where it came from.

That's similar to what disaster recovery cost me after a water heater failure. They ripped up carpet and drywood though because of mold concerns, is that getting done too?