Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

The Shep posted:

As someone in the market for a house now, I hate three season rooms and they're loving EVERYWHERE. So you completely hosed over the nice sliding door entry to the backyard by adding another room I have to go through to get outside? When I want to grill or let the dog out to take a poo poo I don't want to have to walk through another loving room.

Just say no to three season rooms.

I love 3 season rooms. I'd like to be able to put a tiny one at the back of the house we're moving into someday. The house only has a side door and there is no back deck whatsoever, so it would have to be a separate room connected to the back wall of the house, just big enough for a couple chairs and a small table.

Mainly, I want one to give me a nice spot to watch the rain without getting wet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Hello homeowners! I am one of you now!

My mom and I picked up a dining hutch I had on layaway and took it to the house. It has little rollers on the feet, so we started rolling it in, not realizing that it was really scratching up the hardwood floors. As soon as we saw what it was doing, we put a blanket under it, and gently moved it to one of the spare rooms.

The sellers left some of the stain for the hardwood floors in the basement. I've never had shiny hardwood floors before and am unsure what the fix for these scratches are.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

They don't seem to be very deep, they're just very visible.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I've got an apple tree in my new backyard and it appears to have apple scab. :( Every day, I get to pick up over a hundred scabby apples from the ground below the tree. I'll have to do some major pruning and fungicide in the fall and hope the scab doesn't come back next year.

I seriously underestimated the sheer amount of apples a single tree could have.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

minivanmegafun posted:

I have a sick and lopped many, many times nectarine tree and a small pear tree in my tiny Chicago backyard.

The nectarine tree dumped all of its fruit in June and that is a hell of a mess to clean up. The pear tree seems really healthy so I hope my friends like Asian pears because I'm gonna have a ton of them.

Now if only someone had the sense to plant a tree in the parkway before the sun baked all of the paint off of my south-facing aluminum siding.

I think we're gonna cut the nectarine tree down, it's just too much space taken up in our yard. One tree is plenty in the city.

What do you do with all the excess fruit? Just fill all your garbage cans with them? I picked 237 apples off the ground this morning.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

These are also scabbed apples, so even though they're safe to eat, they'd all have to be peeled as well, and that seems like far more trouble than it's worth.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

The thing to do with loads of fruit is make jam, preserves, or juice them. Especially poorer-quality fruits. My neighbor brought us a five gallon bucket of fairly unappetizing apples and we turned it all into really good apple butter. We give away jars of jam and pickles as christmas gifts for friends and extended family members, which reduces how much money we spend on christmas to just the larger gifts focused on immediate family.

We've just been putting the apples in our friend's dumpster because there's so many of them. How are you supposed to turn all the apples into tasty things if you're being bombarded by hundreds of them per day?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

So, I started weeding a small garden bed behind the house and discovered chives growing there. Unfortunately, both chives and weeds were growing in between the cinder blocks that the bed it made of. I'm going to have to take this whole thing apart to get these weeds out.

The whole things is a mess to try to dig in because the holes in the bricks aren't big enough.

I may just repurpose these bricks for a makeshift fire pit.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Hey house thread, I got a notice today about a project to run power lines just down the block from my house. The pamphlet we were given says that there are a couple potential routes that have not been decided on yet, but looking at the map, one route goes south of my block and the other route goes north, so either way, we’re going be only a few houses down from transmission lines. The info packet says we have been notified of the project as we will be affected by it. What it doesn’t say is how we will be affected by it.

From the quick googling I’ve done, it looks like the lines will lower our property value, cause a buzzing noise (lol, we already live next to train tracks) and potentially cause health risks from emf exposure. I’m not so sure of the veracity of that last one, but one of the links I found mentioned links to childhood leukaemia. As someone with a 2 year old, this is at the very least concerning.

I’m also wondering if there will be issues regarding the actual construction of these lines. Would it mean scheduled power outages or something?

Anyway, I’m just wondering if anyone has had experience with this kinda thing. We’re in a not super great neighbourhood, but we’re just down the block from a playground/spray park which my daughter loves and are quite close to several schools.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

The EMF thing is BS, but people believe it so it will 100% lower the desirability of your house and therefore depress the value. They're also generally considered a bit of an eyesore and a bit of a nuisance, which means all things being equal people will be more eager to buy a house identical to yours that doesn't have the power lines nearby.

I figured as much. It read a bit like the “5G will give you cancer” stuff, but I’m also no medical or radiation expert.

Our house was already on the cheap side from being in a blue collar, highish crime area next to the train tracks. Our property value has been lowering each year we’re been here anyway. I guess this will just sink it even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Inner Light posted:

I hope you just arrived at your home otherwise that is like a standard deviation away from what property value has done in most USA major metro areas for the last 5 years.

We’ve been here about 6 years I think. Also, in Canada, not the US. Houses everywhere else keep getting more expensive, but I guess our neighbourhood is tanking.

CarForumPoster posted:

Idk if it’s right for your situation but I’d imagine an eminent domain attorney would be knowledgeable about this. Most rep on contingency so a free consult is likely.

I think I’ll probably just send an email for general questions. I don’t wanna go through the effort to register for their virtual info sessions. I doubt any property will need to be taken, since there is city owned land next to the train tracks, but who knows.