Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Probably the infamous pygmy yard rhino sharpening it's horn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I don't want 10 million of anything unless it's dollars hiding in my walls thank you very much

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I have never heard of these Bosch 3rd rack dishwashers and now I want to sabotage our old piece of junk to get one.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I live in the more "affluent" (racist rich white people) of New Orleans. I had to jump ship from Next door around the time they started the confederate monument removal. But yes, "brown people spotting" is a good description of the common usage of it before that point.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Live in New Orleans, friend of mine's parents had an older but very well maintained house in one of the nicer areas of town. It had a basement and it basically flooded anytime there was even a consideration of rain. They used it as their laundry room and just kept everything off the floor, even pouring a foot and a half tall cement platform for washer and dryer. Also basically had to run a dehumidifier in it 24/7

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'm interested in going full LAN (avoiding IOT entirely) with my home automation. Is there a good book or resource for this? I am totally ok falling into what will probably be an expensive and time consuming rabbit hole.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Crazy idea, how about just being a decent human being and disclosing it because it's the better thing to do?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I wonder if that was the motivation he needed to finally retire.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I am more interested in this magic powder that turns all the water to toilet jello

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Leperflesh posted:

ethernet is going to be obsolete, sooner probably than later, do yourself a big favor and run conduit with nice round corners and stuff so that ethernet wire can easily be pulled and replaced with whatever in 10 years

Like maybe thats the standard anyway, but just make sure that's what you're contracting for, not just jamming wires wherever

I feel like this comes up often and it's always refuted because your average home usage will never need anything more than 5e or 6 and I don't see a future within the life of the structure where you're gonna be wanting to run fiber everywhere.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I didn't think it was worth specifying single or multimode because neither have any sort of practical application at home for the reasons you mentioned.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

meanolmrcloud posted:

We bought our house in January, and the inspector said it would be a bad idea to run or test the existing AC system while it was so cold outside. Because of this, we bought the house knowing it was an older system that might not work. It also had a 30+ year old furnace that, while functional, we had aimed to replace. Well, it turns out it the AC doesn't work and we just had a well-known company come and quote us.

Because of the size and age of the furnace, the guy said it was impossible to get a modern AC coil above it, and would just in general recommend replacing the furnace. He also noted that there is are a few things, like the value on the gas line, and the vent size leading out of the house being out of code.

We got quoted at 6.5k for midrange furnace and AC units, which includes removal, getting everything up to code, and lining the chimney. The furnace and AC units are efficient enough to qualify us for all of the rebates from the energy companies.

The wrinkle is that we got a home warranty with the house. While it looks like a good plan on paper, we don't expect a ton out of it, but the contractor said he is familiar with the language to use when writing recommendations. Apparently, the warranty company requested that they speak directly to the contractor, which seems a bit unusual.

Is there anything we can do to increase the costs the warranty company will cover? Is this a decent price for both systems? We plan on getting at least one more contractor out to compare, but I'd like a frame of reference.

Our AC kicked the bucket a month before our one year of home warranty was done. We knew what the issue was, a leaky system that was basically bleeding freon. We had it charged for free by my wife's cousin when we moved in but he suspected it would end up being an issue.
That said, we called the home warranty folks, they sent their contractors out, all of which basically punted on it because the problem is bigger than they can handle or they just didn't feel like doing it. Home warranty folks came back to me and said "if you find someone who can repair it and send us a quote for approval, that is fine"
Got my wife's cousin on the phone, he looked at it, drew up a quote to replace the coils in the current system, warranty folks approved $2400 of repairs, it was all done without much hassle beyond that. Basically, don't be afraid to take advantage of the home warranty. For most stuff they are useless, but they can only wiggle their way around the fine print so much. Just don't let them know that your AC may or may not have been working when you moved in...

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Well gently caress me

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
You can sorta simulate the steam by tossing an ice cube into the dryer with the item to release the wrinkles from. I've been doing that since college and it works pretty well

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Ashcans posted:

Are there any restrictions on the location or symmetry of the windows? Maybe you could turn a loss into a win with some creative thinking.

:perfect:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
My parents got one of those microwaves that install into a cabinet and have a drawer that comes out. It's pretty cool but time will tell how it holds up given it had a motor to control the drawer.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Well that sorta sells me on it as that was my only concern. I love my counter space, so whenever we do our kitchen reno, it will probably be a no brainer.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Our master bath is directly above the laundry room in our house and I've seriously considered putting a laundry chute in so many times.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
That looks pretty steep there, so gravity should really do most of the work unless the picture is playing tricks on my eyes.
It would probably be best to follow that French drain and see where it stops being inundated with water, there might be something causing stoppage halfway is my guess.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Nest Hello is our only camera and it's my favorite thing. I can shout at the kids to get off my lawn with the push of a button.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Further tree talk: we had a pine tree in the strip between sidewalk and street in front of our house. It was leaning bad, I put in a 311 notice with the city about it and about a year and a half later they came and chopped it down no questions asked.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

rt4 posted:

Anyone have recommended brands or vendors of outdoor rugs? My balcony has a black rubber roof for a floor and it's terribly hot now that the sun is out.

We get our outdoor rugs from Costco. They have some large, thin, plain colored outdoor rugs made from recycled plastic for only $15.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
So wife and I are beginning to seriously prep for a big master bed and bath reno. This will be my first big reno and given the plans we have for the bathroom being non standard (removing large jacuzzi tub, replacing with large walk in). I expect the bathroom job to be more specialized since it will likely involve gutting to studs.
My question is, who do I go to once we have the cash in hand to get this process started? My assumption is find a general contractor, but if we have very specific ideas for the bathroom, do I need to seek out a more specialized outfit to at least get a design/plans on paper?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
We just bought a really nice door for our backyard, it is a torrefied door from Masonite and it's pretty solid and amazing. Just need my FIL to completed the finishing on it. Set us back a few grand for sure, but was well worth it.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
On the topic of lighting, we have an off center boob light above our dining table that's been there since we bought the house. I've been trying to find a good replacement for it and was wondering 1. What would you call this style? And 2. For these double mount fixtures, is the power usually only coming through one ceiling mount or is it typically on both?
I'm hoping this could help solve the off center issue without having to tear open more ceiling.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
That's good to know and opens up a lot of options for us for this. I'll probably just shop around for similar mounted fixtures as the style I could prob take it or leave it.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Everyday I'm thankful I got my pergola up and fence extended last summer before lumber supply went to total poo poo.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

hobbez posted:

Anyone here sealed up pavers with polymeric sand before? I like the idea of having the durability of poly but have seen the horror shows of the haze that can result from botched installs.

It seems avoidable if your meticulous throughout the install but I’d take any tips I can get

Edit: reading more into options, normal paver sand + a spray on paver sealer/joint stabilizer to finish also seems like an option that doesn’t have the risk of the poly haze. Hmmmmm

I finished up my patio with poly sand. Didn't have any issues to be honest. Just followed directions as noted and swept, watered, repeated as recommended.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Costco has a deal on the 17' little giant right now. Replaced my older janky folding ladder with it

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
There was a reddit post from awhile ago I bookmarked for this purpose (living in NOLA makes me constantly aware of what's on our ground floor incase we have another catastrophic event). Kinda covers what was mentioned and more

couldcareless fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 12, 2021

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Condensation pump have a float switch to kill AC if it's not working perhaps?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Can anyone identify this ant? There's been a few crawling around my pergola this summer and wondering if I should be looking at ways to murder them.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
For exterior door chat, we just had 2 doors installed. One was a Dutch door in place of a standard backdoor, the other was the door going in what was a door sized window frame. Despite both of these jobs being somewhat non standard door installs, guy was great (if a little hard to nail down at times) and was about $500 per door for the install. We bought the doors separately and just paid him to come out for the work.

Obviously ymmv depending on pricing in your area, but $1300 for install seems a bit steep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

devicenull posted:

*good* extension cords. Don't buy the lovely 16/3 ones under any circumstances. 14/3 is the bare minimum, 12/3 if you're planning on running anything like power tools on the other end. While you're at it, get some velcro straps and learn how to over/under wrap them.

The over/under wrap took awhile for me to get my head around but when I finally learned it, it seriously is crazy useful.