Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Citizen Z posted:

I bought a house yesterday.

I've ready been to Home Depot 5 times. This is my life now, isn't it?

The rate of visits decrease.

Because you get used to full plan shopping even if it's for unplanned events.

But you forget ONE LITTLE BUT NECESSARY THING and go back anyway.

So...yeah I guess it doesn't get better nearly as much as you think, but definitely better :shepspends:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Elephanthead posted:

It is rare that they will bother to sue you to enforce some rule.

Ah yes, the "it didn't happen to me so it never happens anywhere" bias. Some HOAs are truly bitter and/or incompetent entities.

E:FB like underfunded HOA CapEx

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

SpartanIvy posted:

I'm in the market for a ladder too and I've all but decided on the Extend+Climb telescoping ladders. 15.5' max, but adjustable to any point below that as well. Holds up to like 250 lbs which is more than enough for me+tools. Only downside is there's no A-frame to it so it has been to leaning on something.

I also like that it folds up to a tiny size for storing.

I know this is a few pages back but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCzbLtRDV_Q

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Poldarn posted:

Hey gang, I've been lurking for a bit. I bought my 80+ year old house about 8 years ago. The previous owner said that it had been shelled by a fired in the late 90's and completely rebuilt by that previous owner, so I thought it wouldn't be so bad. Wrong! I've had non-stop issues with the foundation, roof leaks, and plumbing.

Plumbing is today's topic. It turns out the owner at the time of the fire thought he was pretty handy, so he rebuilt everything himself to save the bulk of that sweet sweet insurance payout. Every time some sort of plumbing issue goes wrong the plumber I call tracks down the problem, takes a look at it, and tells me no real plumber would have ever installed [part] that way. Then it gets fixed and I wait for the next leak.

This morning I wake up and find the water to the kitchen sink has frozen. This has happened before but I didn't know about this thread then. When the kitchen was reinstalled the previous owner ran the water pipes from the mechanical room in the basement straight to an outside wall, then along that wall where they finally go up into the kitchen. On the main level that wall is my kitchen, but in the basement that wall is an unheated storage room, because the previous owner never though to put any ventilation in there. On really cold days like today the pipes freeze. The solution, aside from pulling all that pipe, which I can't afford, is to throw a space heater into the storage room and hope the pipes thaw before they crack.

Make sure the kitchen faucet drips consistently from hot and cold sources; don’t shut it off during the winter. The increase in your water bill is minor compared to a burst pipe.