Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug

Duckman2008 posted:

So we have a wooden deck, it’s very new but needs to be stained.

We’re starting to research this, but def figured I would stop by here and get recommendations on the best ways to go about it? Tools needed, paint brand, etc.

Going off of this link to start, obviously I don’t think it’s the best guide.

https://www.homedepot.com/c/ah/how-to-stain-a-deck/9ba683603be9fa5395fab90de38c905

Anyway, I’ll take any recommendations.

Make sure to let your wood weather for several months. Treated wood has a hydrophobic component that will prevent the stain from penetrating properly. You can test by sprinkling some water on the wood; if it's readily absorbed, it's ready for stain.

I always go for Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore over HD/Lowe's paint products. I've always heard that their quality is better for not much more money.

Plan on reapplying every few years, especially if your deck is exposed to a lot of sun.

When applying, you'll need to plan according to the weather. Not too hot, not too cold, and definitely not raining in the previous or next 24 hours. If the wood is wet, the stain won't work properly.

I've seen good results on cedar with a penetrating sealer instead of a stain, but aesthetically, I don't like the look of pressure treated pine, so I use a solid stain on that wood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug
Anyone know about installing shade sails over a deck? I'm looking to put some up over mine and I'm not really sure how big and beefy the posts need to be.

I've already decided to go with steel posts, so there's that decided at least. The area I'm covering is 20' x 40' and I want to put the sail 12 ft off the deck. I'll have posts at the corners, but I can't put anything in the middle. I know that sag may be an issue, but that'll have to be addressed later. I've been looking around at a bunch of off the shelf components and I'm seeing people use 2.5" 12 gauge pipe for their sails and honestly that just does not seem like enough strength. I was thinking that, due to the size of my area, I should maybe get 3" schedule 40 pipe for my posts. Is that overkill? Bigger is better, in this case I would think, but it's also decently more expensive.

I am going to talk with the guy at the steel supplier when I go, but I wanted to get a few more opinions first.

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug

Qwijib0 posted:

I have a ~35x20 shade sail over my pool and it uses 6x6 steel square tube as the supports. The key to prevent sag is to have a twist in the middle so have two of the posts on opposite corners be taller than the other two. My heights ended up being two poles at 8 feet and two at 14.

6x6, wow, maybe I'm actually underestimating the size posts I need... Do you happen to know the thickness of the steel?

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug
Hmm, an engineer and 6 inch posts would put this project out of my budget, unfortunately... I may have to come up with a different solution.

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug

Hadlock posted:

I know nothing about natural gas lines etc

We have a split level on a hill, our kitchen (with gas stove) is on the middle level, and then the kitchen opens up to a deck that gives us some level outdoor living space. From the stove the gas line runs under the kitchen crawlspace to the HVAC in the garage

Below the deck is open and the side of the house (crawlspace) is exposed.

We're kind of thinking about getting one of those propane fire pits to put on the deck, but do natural gas. Is it possible to, like, T off the natural gas line that runs under the kitchen, then drill a hole in the wall of the crawl space, and mount the gas line under the deck? And then feed the fire pit?

Or is this a giant permitting nightmare to run a semi exposed* gas line under a wooden deck

*Actually the deck is blocked off underneath, but ideally we wouldn't have to do any trenching

You can have a plumber come out and do what you want, yeah. They may even have a mini excavator to make burying the line super easy.

Permitting? I have no idea what that is :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

people complain about hoas a lot but you just need to learn how to effectively deal with them, when it comes to paint rules you can use whatever color you want and if the hoa complains spray poo poo onto the president's house

Only if it comes from the Paris region of France. Otherwise it's just sparkling vandalism.