Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
A super old sales lady at lowe's made fun of our house for having wood floors in the kitchen. I couldn't tell if she wanted carpet or vinyl, not everyone can afford tile!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

VendaGoat posted:

80 bags of mulch. 80 loving bags of mulch to fill in all the plant bullshit I have going on outside.

We tried to talk our HOA into letting us use rocks to 'mulch' rather than the BS stuff that decays and doesn't do anything for your soil either. They had some bullshit reason about it getting too cold in the winter for rocks to mulch, when we're in gardening zone 7b.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

It is much cheaper to have a truckload delivered. This reminds me I need a landscaper.

How do you find a good one. Every one I can find just half asses it. Like coming to cut the grass and saying they have no time for anything else when the grass is still <1 inch long cause they cut it WAY too short the last time. GRRR

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

slap me silly posted:

Good luck with that. I worked with three different ones, not to mention housekeepers and recycling pickup and other things, and every single one of them had at least one ball they would drop.

My last 2 housekeepers destroyed at least one piece of property per visit.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

I once saw a listing where the homeowner was a serious busybody and had meticulously documented all of the maintenance tasks in a huge illustrated binder. He offered it up for the listing because he thought that it might make his house sell better (but I'm not sure if it worked)

I would personally appreciate this. I've thought about writing a short document about where the weird pipes/drainage stuff was installed, the rarer plants used for landscaping due to specific situations, etc. Stuff specific to the house I would want to know.

You always hear about how houses were poorly maintained and that's why they're poo poo or falling apart. I'm not remotely familiar with that kind of poo poo so I'd just find it helpful.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Can we not argue what we consider 'big' or 'small' or 'massive'? People have preferences for what they feel comfortable in and use their spaces in different ways.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Making screens is surprisingly cheap and easy!

For people asking about cleaning gutters, get you some gutter guards! Just finished putting these in today, and they are worth every penny. Much better quality than the other expanded metal guards I tried previously, and they just slip right into place. A+, would absolutely buy again. Probably the best thing short of a custom system.

Re: Home checklists, I'd just make sure you have freeze proof water spigots. Also clean gutters so ice dams don't build up before winter. Google calender for furnace filter replacements. Try not to put too much crap down your drains, especially rice and potatoes down the kitchen garbage disposal. A hair strainer is great for the shower too, prevents crap from building up in the first place and causing you bigger problems down the road. Clean your dryer lint trap every time and exhaust line every so often! Keep painted surfaces painted, and watch out for roof damage, eg wavy, missing or lifted shingles. Great idea to know where your main water shutoff is, and tag that. Try and drain your water heater once a year. Yardwork is basically constant, so there's that. Anything more falls under home maintenance/improvement.

Honestly it's not too hard, just try and have some familiarity with stuff around the house. Black and Decker's guide books, such as guide to home wiring or Popular Mechanics Complete Home How To are both excellent guides with lots of pictures and simple instructions. Doing stuff yourself really helps you understand how things work, and gives you a great feeling of competency, really honestly a perk to owning a home.

Good post. Thank you. :)

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Pryor on Fire posted:

The changing definition of small is bizarre, growing up with 5 siblings in a 2 bedroom house seemed normal to me back in ancient times, that's how everyone else seemed to group up as well. I'm guessing you'd get shipped off to Guantanamo Bay for daring to do such a horrible thing to children in 2016.

I don't think that's what anyone's saying when they describe it as 'small', they're obviously talking about themselves and how they feel. The biggest space I lived in growing up in a 6 family household was in a <1500 sqft 2 bedroom 1 bath bungalow (I'm not clear on the square footage, but there was a finished family room in the basement). My room barely fit my twin bed and is about the same size as my mom's current walk in closet. Smallest was a single bedroom that barely fit a full sized bed in a house my parents and I shared with 2 other families (one family per bedroom), the house had a tiny shared living space (about the size of a bedroom) and a small kitchen and one bathroom. I think it was fine and I have very fond memories and love for both houses.

I still think the largest is small for me now and I like my 2200 sqft house that we're growing into, with a large spacious home office and exercise space, a place for my family/friends to stay over (multiple times on a monthly basis), and a spacious bedroom for me and my children. There's no 'need' involved, it's just a preference. :shrug: But then growing up, I always knew we were poorer than almost all other families, and most of my classmates lived 1 bedroom per child with a guest room, so that's always seen as the norm for me.

edit grammar/wording

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 10, 2016

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

I don't think most animals are so dumb that they abandon their children, even if they smell a bit funky. This bird was pretty smart at any rate, it was watching me like a hawk from different spots. I just hope it found where I put the nest :(

A lot of animals aren't sight dominant like us. It'd be like if your child suddenly turned into a different race at the park but smelled the same. You'd probably still think you misplaced your child and give the random abandoned baby to CPS.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Hey that's the one we have too! Love it. :3:

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Celador posted:

I did a lot of research into buying that same Scott's reel mower. Unfortunately we have thick, fast-growing St. Augustine grass in our yard, and it needs to be mowed high (like 3.5 to 4 inches) and those mowers have difficulty with that. Plus, I need a trimmer/edger and blower, anyway, and was always planning on battery powered. Now all of my lawn equipment runs off the same two, interchangeable batteries and it's pretty great.

That particular one can mow high, but yeah, you can't let the grass grow very high when you mow or it doesn't do a very good job. It also requires a certain amount of fitness and strength to push with the amount of force necessary to shear the grass cleanly. We do use battery powered edger/blower, not that any of this matters because we also hire gardeners. :lol:

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

LogisticEarth posted:

Most laundry is "generated" in the bedrooms. Changing clothes, sheets, bath towels, etc. Putting the machine upstairs means you don't have to carry laundry up and down every time you do the wash.

Of course, if you have a leak, it can be a big problem if the room isn't designed well. If I ever were to have a unit on the second floor, I'd definitely think about putting in a floor drain in case you ever had a break.

Yep. Our washer sits on a shallow tub that has a floor drain. We love our laundry room being beside our bedroom.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Ashcans posted:

My parents have had a front-loading washer forever and never had issues, I don't think there is any particular problem with them except you can't interrupt the wash cycle without flooding your room.

I can definitely interrupt the wash cycle of mine without flooding my room. HE washers shouldn't be using enough water to flow out of the washer when you interrupt them.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Zhentar posted:

I have a front load washer on my first floor, over basement space. No noise or vibration complaints, it's usually less noisy than most top loaders I've used.

Yeah mine doesn't really vibrate much at all. :shrug:

But in any case, I think it's perfectly fair to not want an upper level washer but, QuarkJets, your question was why anyone would prefer it.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

I was being facetious and implying that the advantage of having a washer right next to your upstairs bedroom was not worth the extra heartache and expense associated with upstairs washers

That's fine but did you expect no one to disagree with you?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I didn't know you were supposed to oil up the springs, how do people do it if they have the springs which are housed in the tube?

We cleaned out our dryer vent yesterday and it took all of 2s to actually clean it out because there was jack poo poo in there despite being in this house for 3 years and never having done it before. Instead, we managed to completely lose a screw and spent a good 30 minutes searching for a single screw within a 7x7 room which is just completely gone. How often are you supposed to clean out dryer vents anyways? I thought it was yearly?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Probably fear mongering then cause I kept hearing about how it was a fire hazard and we were going to burn the house down around our baby.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

SiGmA_X posted:

I was referring to standard torsion springs. No idea on anything else.

There's no difference in the spring, just that it's housed in a tube. How often are you supposed to lube them?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I was just quoted $1400 for a basic 6yr warranty gas water heater from the company State. Apparently going for the higher quality 10yr warranty one. Does that sound right? Googling around is giving me much lower quotes.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 1, 2016

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Eugh we checked around and every other place is around the same and they only carry State. We're going to go with this 1400 one since at least they offer Rheem.

I don't get why home maintenance poo poo is so much more expensive here than the col implies.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Droo posted:

Did you check with home depot for a full installation quote? A 50 gallon 6 year Rheem gas water heater by itself costs about $500, so someone is charging you almost $1000 to install that water heater. That is definitely not correct - replacing an existing gas water heater is maybe a 2 hour job on a bad day, and installation should be more in the $200-$400 range.

This plumber comes highly recommended and he claims that the water heaters from home depot are worse quality than the ones he gets. We asked him for a model number so I'm going to verify that today when he gets it to us.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
So the water heater he's using is the Rheem Professional Classic Series: Atmospheric (PROG50-38N RH60). It's a 50gal capacity at 38k BTU. It looks like it costs $800-1000 online? I'm not sure, it's a plumber exclusive.

I'm not sure how this is different/better than their Performance Platinum line which has 50gal capacity at 40k BTU and is available at home depot for $654.00... The spec sheets are pretty imprenetrable for me in terms of figuring out the difference... I gathered that both are self cleaning. The pro one has a energy factor of 0.6, the home depot one has an energy factor of 0.62. Main benefit of the pro seems to be the first hour recovery, the pro line is 91 gallons, the perf line is 71 gallons.

All Rheem says about their Pro line is:

quote:

Classic™ Series
Essential Features. Strong Performance.
Classic series tank-type models are built with quality and ease-of-ownership in mind providing years of worry-free hot water for washing dishes, doing laundry and taking showers.

Spec Sheets -

Plumber:
http://cdn.globalimageserver.com/fetchdocument-rh.aspx?name=professional-classic-atmospheric-professional-classic-atmospheric-naeca-

Home Depot:
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/d4/d48b2ad8-6e70-472f-9299-7da75b0db2e5.pdf

Eugh.

edit Looks like it was sold on Amazon for ~$500: http://camelcamelcamel.com/Rheem-PROG50-38N-RH58-Professional-Residential/product/B00HRTZM3W

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 2, 2016

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

If you are most interested in your plumber's best interests, feel free to pay them for the upgraded tank... and I'm not being facetious, we do need plumbers and plumbers need to make a living wage.

This is basically what we decided. The difference would be a couple hundred and our finances are really healthy.

Also we have a 4month old and we just didn't want to deal with lovely Home Depot customer service. We would've gone tankless if we were sure we'd be staying here for another 5 years, but we might be moving next year so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
What kind of wok cooking are you doing that doesn't produce lots of smoke and aerosolized grease?