Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

The upstairs hallway and both sets of stairs are covered in carpet. There is nothing underneath he basement stairs, but the upstairs hallway is unstained/untreated? hardwood. I am hesitant to rip up the carpet though because I have no idea how to make what's underneath acceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

moana posted:

Refinishing hardwood isn't all that difficult or expensive, if that's what you want to do. If it's a small job you can easily DIY it through tutorials online (I did my last house and it was kinda fun)

Finally took a peak under the carpet, and the wood is already finished. :psyduck: Why did the previous owners decide that having carpet in the hall and NOT the bedrooms made sense?

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

How serious an issue are raccoons? Apparently I have at least one living under my front porch. I haven't seen any damage, nor heard any scratchings inside my walls. I'm inclined to live and let live.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

School district is appealing our property since we bought it last year. Anyone have experience with lawyering up in this situation?

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Had a chimney inspection done. My damper is rusted and rotting away and a replacement is gonna run me about $600-$850. Just how badly do I need a damper anyways? The fireplace opens up into a little office space that's comfortably warm when occupied.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Some of the siding on my house is peeling off. I'd send my husband to go fix it except we don't own a 20ft ladder and I'm assuming it would be cheaper to have a handy man pop it back in place. Still waiting on a quote though since the guy I called got delayed last night.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

AC went while we were away on vacation. And because our furnace is also on its way out, we're considering replacing both of them in one go. And everyone says that owning a home will be more affordable than renting.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Erwin posted:

No one says that.

All of my dumb friends looking to buy homes say that.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

A friend just bought a house after inspections and what have you. She'd only been living in it for a few days when a serious chunk of ceiling fell down to reveal considerable water damage. Would it be a good idea for her to consult a lawyer on what her options are?

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

It sounds like home warranty is refusing to cover damages as it was due to poor workmanship during a bathroom remodel. I have a feeling home insurance is going to be singing a similar tune. Do never buy!

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Got my sewer line checked since it's been two years since we had it first inspected. There was a ton of root action this time around and the plumber suggested replacing the whole sewer line. UGH. Also had the sump pump checked because I'm interested in having a battery back up. Quoted for over 1k to replace the old sump pump? Gonna shop around and see what others have to offer. Still, this is a better situation that what my friends are dealing with. One couple is stuck in a house that continues to flood periodically. The other is dealing with a leaking second floor bathroom that refuses to be repaired.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Found evidence of termites in my woodpile that's kept up against the side of the house! Fingers crossed that there's nothing more serious than contaminated firewood.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

My house came with a satellite dish that has remained unused for the past few years and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future. Should I bother removing it or just leave it be?

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I loving hate my master bathroom. I want it remodeled and I searched for a few one stop shop companies to try and get the process started. Only one place got back to me and asked me to show them some quick phone pics to give a rough pricing estimate before they came over and did measurements and I sat down to pick out mats. She told me my 4 x 11 bathroom was going to be about 25k-40k. That's without moving the toilet around or knocking down any walls. I'd be replacing the sink, toilet, shower, floor, tile wall, and light fixtures. Is that estimate reasonable? I'm living in the Pittsburgh area.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Well that's not the answer I was hoping for but that's very good to know.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Someone actually got back to me this morning and told me 15k as a ballpark which is a lot closer to what I was expecting. I asked about the materials shortage and the woman said that everything's on serious back order but that the pricing itself isn't being jacked up that much. I'm going to have them come out to take measurements and then see what the final cost is going to be before making a decision.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

We are selling our house and having a stressful time of it, as I am also pregnant and we're about to relocate to the opposite coast by the end of this coming week. Got into an argument with my mom over whether a real estate attorney is necessary since we're not going to be present at closing. My understanding was that the title company would be able to represent us, and my father was in agreement. His qualifications: was in commercial real estate for several years and has a ton of real estate friends.

But then he started yelling at me about how I should sit on any offers we get and wait for a whole week to give other prospective buyers a chance. He flat out refused to listen to the fact that houses are being snatched up off the market in less time than that, and I'm pretty sure any offers are going to come with built in time limits. Help me, are my parents being dumb idiots or am I the dumb idiot here?

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I just needed a sanity check. Most of the time my parents are pretty smart about stuff but sometimes it's yelling at a brick wall. I'm in the Pittsburgh area and 2 comparable homes that were listed the same day we did are already under contract. We chose to only hold an open house over the weekend with a review on Monday. I don't think this turn around is typical for this region in general but it absolutely is the trend for covid times.

Anything else on the market similar to us right now has been around for like 2+ months. So why the hell would a serious buyer wait to put an offer in when there's nothing else to look at?

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I am going to look into a real estate attorney. It wasn't a question of money so much as redundancy? Again, my understanding was that a title company was going to take care of it. It sounds like I can't go wrong with personal representation at the table though. But with people getting into a bidding war right out the gate, I'm not sure what else I should be waiting for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Yeah this is PA and the realtor already told me don’t bother. Gonna make some phone calls today.