Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
By popular demand! Here is the BFC homeownership thread for all your chatting needs that aren't really related to the financial aspects of the actual purchase (we have a different thread for that). Popular recent topics include home automation! Roof leaks! That horrifying thing the previous owner did and then hid behind 40 layers of cardboard and dirt!

We may give this thread a little tour over into the DIY forum at some point - a great place to visit if you have a homeowner problem that you want to solve by yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Ugh, carpet in the water rooms. Why the gently caress do people do that?? I will never understand.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Rurutia posted:

How do you find a good one.
Good luck with that. I worked with three different ones, not to mention housekeepers and recycling pickup and other things, and every single one of them had at least one ball they would drop.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Rurutia posted:

My last 2 housekeepers destroyed at least one piece of property per visit.

Oh, yeah, if they're not dropping a ball they're dropping a fragile glass thing.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

VendaGoat posted:

Landscaping, the purgatory of business.

This week I had a landscaper ask me to send his money as a paypal gift. I believe the word "un-businesslike" was in my response.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
It makes such a satisfying tinkle sound! Luckily for me mine was outside the back yard fence.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Trillian posted:

my neighbor backing his truck into my house. Twice.
Hey, that's totally no big deal because his insurance will cover it.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I had a reasonably good and worthwhile (though not amazing) experience with these guys: http://jacksonvillebrighthouse.com/ But you'd have to be in Jacksonville or one of their other locations.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

get my neighbor to take his trashcans in off the sidewalk
My local metro codes website has an anonymous report form.

OSU_Matthew posted:

illegal daycare
CPS. Dunno if you can really make an anonymous call or not

OSU_Matthew posted:

random people to stop cutting through my driveway
You're hosed. Put down caltrops.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Ahaha. My first housepainter had a major stroke right after he painted the west wall. So much for getting the north and south walls done!

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I used to bitch about home ownership a lot in this forum but it turns out owning a home is actually pretty cool.

When it's a condo and you don't have to cut your own grass or clean the gutters.

Eh, your $25k roof assessment is coming soon enough.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

newts posted:

small house (~2000 sq ft)

I have literally never lived in a house this big in 40 years.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
It is generally the latter unless you have some actual problem that you should fix first, or you never use a filter in the air return.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
gently caress. So how much sewage did they dump under your lawn before they figured out what was going on? Good job ensuring that this clusterfuck continues for another couple of generations.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Oh god, you're still working on that? Ugh

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Goddammit, don't make me start probating people for grillfighting in the housebitching thread

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
No, I just got tired of reading it :D

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Jealous Cow posted:

Hey we popped our inane :goonsay: slap fight cherry.

Will the topic of grilling and outdoor TVs always derail us? I can't wait to find out!
The new title is helping, I don't feel the need to bitch about grillbitching anymore.

Devian666 posted:

Is this the right thread to bitch about running out of grass seed this morning.
Yes!

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I was recently browsing the deck threads in reddit's DIY section (gah) and I'm pretty sure you are Doing The Right Thing Here.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I did the numbers the other day, I totalled about $25k in major repairs and improvements over 5 years. Not too shabby!

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Bozart posted:

Also the American College of Veterinarians has extensive literature on how to humanely murder animals.

In BFC, we cite our sources. Preferably with links.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
In my experience the zillow numbers are pretty good down to the zip code or neighborhood level, at least for seeing trends, but they're stupid and useless for individual properties.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
And I just bought all that strychnine :(

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
A basement cat, if you will.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

LawfulWaffle posted:

I'm in contract for my first home, $152,900 for 4 beds, 2.5 bath ~1700 sqft with a decent yard and basement. Biggest red flag during the open house (it's a fast market in Columbus, no time for a second, private look around) was that the basement has two sump pumps, both in the same pit and one's connected to battery as a backup. I've never lived in a house with a sump pump before, but I watched some videos and read a bit on them and they seem not so out of the ordinary or too difficult to maintain.

Anyway, the inspection's happening next week and we'll hopefully be moved in by Aug. 1. What I came here to ask (the first of many, many questions I'm sure) is what kinds of things do you wish you knew about being a homeowner when you first started. Please no "don't buy, it's a horrible idea" because I've already got plenty of stress about making sure I'm not buying a money pit, but if there's something you could go back in time and tell your younger, less experienced self about owning or maintaining a home, what would it be? I'm a firm believer in tapping the knowledge of others, but other than my mom and my in-laws I don't have a lot of other homeowners close to me to ask.

More info: The contract we signed was to take the house as-is, which is why our offer was accepted over other, higher bids. The owners seem like they're being upfront about the water issue and we've got a property disclosure form that lists the basement water issue and a loose nail previously causing a leak in the roof that they've since repaired. I remember seeing some article/blog being posted on the forum about a guy who bought a house as-is and wound up having to replace almost everything since the electrical outlets were basically for show and the basement kept seeping, but it seemed like his big problem was not getting an inspection first. Sorry for rambling, it's a nerve-wracking experience and I've just barely started.

Main thing for me was, it's pretty much impossible to have too much extra money saved up. I think that goes double or triple for an as-is contract :v:

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Agreed. I will never do that again if I can possibly help it.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The only answer is to rip that poo poo off and put up real siding.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Leviathan Song posted:

Are you sure you're not thinking of ginko? I've never noticed a strong smell to Bradford pear trees.

Something is wrong with your nose, because they smell like somebody took a poo poo on a burning tire and set it out in the summer sun.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
They're gonna clean out your drain, they're not gonna replace your unit. Nice try though.

I did get a new evap coil (not a new unit) out of my home warranty, but that was only after three visits to refill the coolant.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I bought an LG frontloader 4 months ago, model WM3570HWA, and I like it a lot... currently going for $700 though. It definitely gets my clothes clean. There are extra-dirt cycles, and extra rinse cycles, seriously it's been great so far.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

drilling a sizeable hole in the wall
It is your duty. Post pics

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Jealous Cow posted:

What is the typical life expectancy of a garage owner?

Depends whether you maintain the door springs yourself or hire it out.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, the internet comes through again!

canyoneer posted:

This is a good joke
Very rare

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Yup! Welcome to the party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

One helpful tip is to just buy everything you think you might possibly need upfront, and then return what you don't use after you're done let what you don't use moulder in the basement for the next ten years