Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Motronic posted:

You can hang them like a picture. Just make a cardboard or luan backer and glue them to it, then hang that. Because gluing them to things is the way you install them.

Just to be sure: your furniture is back in there and everything? Because yeah, without that even rugs might not really do it.

(FYI, I suggest a sprayable glue for this)

I was going to say basically this with 3m velcro style command strips to the wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
drat it we are supposed to close next week. The seller yesterday said they wanted to close a few days early, which is perfect for us, so we jumped through all the hoops to reschedule everything, and now they are changing their mind and want to stick to the original closing date. They've been annoying as hell throughout this whole process.

Edit ugh thought this was the home buying thread but I'm sure I'll have content for this thread soon enough

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Bounded Empire posted:

Northern Neck insurance in Virginia. Honestly I hadn't heard of them before we bought the house two years ago. We didn't really shop around like we're should have with so many other things going on when buying. We just went with what or realtor recommended.

Hahahaha gently caress we have Northern Neck. They were cheaper than USAA for way more coverage, and lower deductibles, guess this is why.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Nybble posted:

If you can get USAA, get USAA. Lucky to have it and use for almost everything but the mortgage itself.

Yeah we've used them forever for pretty much everything. May as well switch the homeowners over.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

TerminalSaint posted:

Those aren't even the weird ones, the basement bathroom has a 12"x30" section of them covered with textured glass panels on an interior wall shared with a bedroom.

I toured a house a few months ago that had an owner-finished basement with similar pseudo windows built into the "bedroom" walls. I think it was to make it feel more like a real bedroom instead of a dark interior room.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

devicenull posted:

I put in belt drive, it was 100% worth it (but I was starting with no opener). It's basically silent from outside the garage, and pretty drat quiet from inside it.

What is not worth it is getting the garage door installers to do it. If you already have an opener, replacing it is pretty straightforward, and was not worth the price they wanted to charge me for it.

Yeah. I'm very happy with our belt drive openers. Not sure I'd change out a working system for one but if you're already doing work and it makes sense to do it all at once, I'd consider the swap.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
So I've learned why my yard appears to be deteriorating so rapidly in appearance since I bought it. Per a neighbor, previous owner was a lawn care professional at a golf club, and had spent the last 2 years getting the yard into tip top shape.

I look forward to my field of mud and moss.

:suicide:

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

freeasinbeer posted:

Anyone have a couch they like; or decent couch brand?

I wanted a Taylor King but the order timeframe was absurd, was quoted something like 8 months. Also liked several of the Sherrill brands, so I ended up getting a Precedent since it was in stock. I'm very happy with it so far. If you're going to order something that's not in stock it will take months right now.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Let's talk fire extinguishers. Motronic, please drop some wisdom and tell me if my assumptions are off!

I've used small ones in training environments as well as to put out small car fires, and think I understand their limitations (i.e. use them on a small fire only as it's starting, and know when to GTFO instead)

Is there a worthwhile middle ground between a Kidde/First Alert Home Depot special and paying for Ansul/Amerex?

I'm thinking I want a 10# in the garage and a 5# in the kitchen and in the second floor laundry room. To my layman perspective that hits all the high risk areas and puts one on each floor. Assume I want a CO2 or a BC in the kitchen and ABC dry chemical elsewhere?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Awesome, thanks! That's really helpful, hopefully others can learn too and might have some more questions that I didn't think of.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

spf3million posted:

I signed up for the Lowes card yesterday evening and saved $100 on my new $600 grill. 5% off everything thereafter, might as well.

What did you get? I'm eyeballing the Weber E-330.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah my in-laws have the Genesis II s-335 I think? I've grilled on it a lot and enjoy it. Wouldn't pay for the Bluetooth thermometers though. Seem kind of flaky.

I'd like the side burner but I'll give the 310 a look too if I can find one somewhere.

Ace had a nice dark blue finish E-315 I hadn't seen elsewhere. But they didn't have any unassembled, and I couldn't fit an assembled one in my car so no sale...

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
My buddy went to a USFS wildfire tree-felling course, and brought his chainsaw over today and taught me the basics, and we dropped and cut up a few trees in my yard.

Now I want a chainsaw.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Yep we used all the safety gear. We felled two trees the other day, I definitely wouldn't do one without training without someone experienced helping me out. His saws were both Stihl, if I go gas I'll probably get one of those. Electric is tempting though.

devicenull posted:

The nearest place to me that sells ethanol free gas is ~40 minutes away, and I go through maybe 1 $10 bottle of trufuel a year. Easily worth it to not have to drive that long to pick up gas

Yeah there's a marina about 45 min away, I'm planning to fill up some Jerry cans with ethanol free for winter generator use, but trufuel makes sense to me for a chainsaw.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
On Weber chat from the other week, I finally grabbed a Genesis II. Got halfway thru assembly and found a mounting point in the frame that hadn't been threaded. To their credit Weber answered the phone quickly when I called, and immediately offered to ship me a new frame piece for free.

I just went to Lowes (because I didn't have the right size tap), tapped it myself, and kept going. Now I have a grill!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Apparently we need to replace or repair the dishwasher, and we had been putting off replacing the stove, which led my wife to confess she hates the fridge that came with the house, so I guess we are getting a bunch of new kitchen appliances.

:rip: my wallet

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Sorry if this question is just my Google fu being weak.

My house has wall plates that appear to be the Amerelle Chelsea line, or something very similar.

I have a 4-gang toggle wallplate, and I'd like to swap one toggle switch for a decora-sized rocker while keeping the other 3, like this one, to install a programmable or smart switch. I haven't been able to find a plate with that layout, that also matches the aesthetic of the other ones I have. I don't want to change every wall plate in the house.

Anyone have an idea of where to look?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

StormDrain posted:

Doesn't exist. You might be better off swapping the other three for rockers. Let me guess, adding a smart switch?

Yeah, that was the plan.

Swapping them all to rockers would be a bit unnecessary but would probably be better than changing all the wallplates.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Queen Victorian posted:

The price tag was $24k.

:catstare:

So obviously price scales nonlinearly with size but you're saying maybe I should move my 3x5 allegedly Persian rug that I bought in Islamabad, away from where my toddlers can destroy it...

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

spf3million posted:

Anyone have recommendations for keyless deadbolts that aren't connected to wifi? I just want to be able to punch in some numbers to lock/unlock my door.

I've got a Yale Assure that I like.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

All new houses are alike; each old house is broken in its own way.

:golfclap:

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I want to have an interlock installed on my breaker box for generator use. Power loss due to storms is not uncommon in my area. I'm really interested in an inverter generator in the 2kw-4kw range but all the options seem to be 120v only. My understanding is that I could only power one leg if I hooked up a 120v output to the breaker box?

The only 220v appliance I'd really be interested in running is the range, and that's not mandatory. Hot water and furnace are both propane so I just need 120 to power their electronics. They're hard wired, I can't just plug them into an eu2200 or I'd just do that. So I'm mostly interested in something quiet that isn't a gas hog (or dual fuel even better), and light enough that my wife can easily move it around if I'm not home.

Should I suck it up and either buy something that puts out 240, or pay to have a sparky move around my breakers to maximize the utility of using 120? Or is there a way to have my cake and eat it too?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Motronic posted:

An interlock + feeding only one leg + having 240v stuff that needs to be turned off while this is happening doesn't sound like a family-friendly solution to anything. Not to mention dragging the generator out, hooking it up, fueling it, starting it, making sure you HAVE fuel that hasn't gone bad, etc.

My opinion: save up and get an actual fixed generator that is properly installed, autostart, and runs your whole home or at least a subset of the circuits you require. Run it off your propane.

Sigh. I know that's the right answer but was hoping to avoid the cost because odds are very good we will only live here 2-3 more years before I transfer for work. Thanks.

Edit to add: my wife is from here originally and is used to pulling out a 240 portable generator and connecting it, though it was on a transfer switch not an interlock when she was a kid. And I always have several Jerry cans of stabilized ethanol free gas.

I guess my concern on a whole house generator, other than cost, was the assumption it would run through my 325g tank pretty quick in an extended outage. What should I look at? Generac?

Tyro fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 6, 2021

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Sorry can you explain this in better detail

Just that there's no NEMA plug i can unplug from the wall and plug the appliances directly to the generator with. They're hard wired to breakers.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

devicenull posted:

Solar film on the windows. It doesn't sound like it's going to help, but the difference is pretty significant if you've got direct sun. I used something like this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/GILA-Heat-Control-48-in-W-x-15-ft-L-Platinum-Gray-Platinum-Heat-Control-Window-Film/1183687

Yep I did that in my garage, made a big difference

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

I you need new appliances order them right now.

We got a new stove a while ago because ours was clearly on the way out and it took about a month and a half. Nothing fancy, either, just a bog standard mid-grade electric stove/oven from Home Depot.

Ugh. I've been trying to get my wife to go to the store to order a dishwasher for months. She's the one who wants a new one, but I guess only enough to complain about the one we have, not enough to prioritize making time to shop. I don't think she has any idea how bad the wait will be. Especially since she probably wants a Bosch or Miele.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Mini splits rule, my last apartment had them and they were great. I haven't had a Mitsubishi one but they're supposed to be top of the line.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Yep. I intentionally found an older (90s) neighborhood without a HOA and I'm quite happy about it. Bonus, the lots are each 1+ acre vs the 0.2 acre postage stamps of the new construction options.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
So, my garage has a 5-20 outlet on its own dedicated circuit. Install is a bit janky looking.

I'm considering adding a 6-20 (for car charging).

Is it reasonable to expect an electrician to be able to use the same conduit, and maybe use a duplex combo receptacle that has one 5-20 and one 6-20 outlet on it, if that's even a thing?

Tyro fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 28, 2022

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

You would need two different wires cause you are turning the current neutral to a hot to have a combo but you should be able to convert it to 6 20

Yeah I am hoping to keep the 5-20 and also add a 6-20, but that could be an option too.

bird with big dick posted:

Why not go all the way and add a 14-50?

Because it's charging a Volt and I'm selling the house next year

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

DaveSauce posted:

Wiring thread is over here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3090739

Off the top of my head, I would expect that you could pretty quickly and easily repurpose the circuit for a 6-20. IIRC you can just phase tape the N wire at both ends to repurpose it, but if you have conduit then it'd be pretty simple to pull a new wire. Then all you'd need to do is re-wire the breaker side and install the new receptacle. This is of course assuming it's a dedicated circuit. If not, then it may not be as simple as that... could be slightly more complex, could be much more complex.

Only other gotcha is you'd need a 2-pole breaker, instead of the current 1-pole, so if your panelboard is full up then you might be SOL.

I don't know what code says about 2 different style/voltage receptacles in the same junction box. That's a 2-gang box, so you could theoretically install 2 different receptacles... but I don't know if it's legal. That said, you would need to run 2 more wires because they'd be each on separate circuits. So you'd need the conduit to be big enough to handle 2 more wires. Should be fine, but if other wires are going through it, or if the wires are bigger than they need to be, then this could be an issue. And of course you'd still need a new 2-pole breaker.

Assuming the conduit can fit the wires you need, I would guess an electrician could do this for $200-$300 maybe? Though with prices the way they are, who knows...

Thanks for the link! Plenty of room in the panel and it's on its own circuit if I decide to just repurpose the existing wiring.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Harriet Carker posted:

I'm looking for a keypad door lock with a key override and a manual deadbolt. I saw the Schlage BE365 used to come highly recommended but recently changed their manufacturing process and is now shipping a ton of duds. Any recommendations? Wi-fi and other fancy features are totally unnecessary.

Yale Assure is pretty nice, it does have a motorized deadbolt though and I suspect that will be the weak point for longevity.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
We've been happy overall with current gen simplisafe.

Still jammable by cheap AliExpress tech, but any wireless system is similarly foiled.

I've been happy with their customer service. Had a doorbell camera replaced for free due due to damage that was my fault. Also had a door sensor replaced for free when it stopped working.

Main complaint on the app is no way that I've been able to tell to have multiple logins for one account, so I periodically have to go thru the 2FA dance with my wife to renew her mobile access.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

You can install a metal plate that makes it impossible for the generator circuit and the main breaker to both be on at the same time. The plate slides back and forth but only if one is off. This is a kinda lock out none automatic. Not sure if it is still code but it was at some less safe time.

Yep that's an interlock.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
We have termites in the (attached) garage. FML.

Now the $400 or so that my wife spent on a one year exterminator contract earlier this summer seems like a much better deal. I was pissed when she did it when it was just to deal with millipedes, but turns out it covers termites too. They're coming back next week to drill thru the concrete in the garage to pump poison in from the ground.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Hooray.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Ham Equity posted:

if we use an LLC to own the house (we would all be co-owners of the LLC, the LLC would be on the title for the house), is there any way for us to get the primary residence capital gains tax exemption, or is that right out given that an LLC cannot have a primary residence?

I had considered buying my house in a trust but this was one of my concerns. I believe there was a poster (was it GGGC?) who did actually lose out on a tax exemption for that exact reason, though I forget details, like if it was state or federal.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Muir posted:

Your house has 6 chimneys?

I know it might seem odd that we let folks with only 6 chimneys participate in the thread with the rest of us. But it's good to hear the perspective of the common man from time to time. Keeps us grounded.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

redreader posted:

My 4 year old took a poo after holding it in for a week, now the toilet is clogged. Is there a simple 'home owner' solution for this or do I call the plumbers?

Welcome to my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I went with MERV11 after I ran out of the filters the PO left in the garage, but my utility costs have been brutal this winter, so now I'm wondering if I'm forcing the system to work harder and should go to a less restrictive filter.