Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
1000 would be small with 3 kids(doable with a bunkbed but still quite small especially for Americans), 2000 should be fine if they ever go outside and you don't think they all need their own massive room for some reason.

While I only had one sibling, at one point my parents had a 3000 square foot house and my grandmother lived with us as well. We literally had 3+ giant rooms that never were used, and I had a room that basically I used myself to just play videogames, besides my bedroom. It was stupid as hell, houses don't need to be that big for families of 4-5. I wonder how much money my parents were pissing away on heating and cooling that ridiculous house, they were more sensible with the two after that.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Back when my wife's parents had a house, I liked their sunroom :shobon: but then again, they had a separate back door so you could go outside without going through it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

It could be cool if you have the money to rig up something to protect it from the elements properly when you're not using it. I can definitely see the appeal in having what amounts to a rooftop bar in your backyard.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

And clutter up the grand feasting hall?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You need to move somewhere with a new cable provider if that's all that's on TV.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

There's a decent chunk of what you're listing that sounds like cosmetic wants though. Painting is also super cheap if you do it yourself, which you should do because it's easy.

Replacing the roof and gutters and the sewer sound like the only real "houses suck" thing there IMO.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I don't see why you would give a gently caress about your zestimate unless you were going to sell anyway.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

While that sucks, that probably could've gone a lot worse.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Pryor on Fire posted:

Jesus christ, if your cat is making GBS threads on the floor

About a year ago my cat began the puzzling ritual of making GBS threads directly in front of his litter box in the same spot. If I see him getting ready and tell him to go in the box, he complains loudly and then does it. He always pisses in the box.

I keep the box clean, and he's been to the vet about it and he's fine. If he stays with someone else when I'm out of town he only shits in the box, even though they don't really clean it.

Animals are weird.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

sweet_jones posted:

Potentially stupid question: in the worst case scenario can't the panels be removed and reinstalled on a replaced roof? What am I missing?

The solar panels in question *are* a roof if I'm not mistaken. Meaning they'll last you a long time, but if you just replaced your roof ten years ago, getting a new solar roof is kind of a waste of useful remaining roof life.

https://www.tesla.com/solarroof

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I'm building some patio furniture out of ground contact prime pressure treated 2x4s (hooray for blogs and youtube). My dad said I should wait a full year for the wood to dry out enough to stain it, is that true? Also, would exterior paint be acceptable? Do I need sealant in either case?

Help me, I'm a clueless baby.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

It's going to be a sectional built from 2x4s, plus some side tables in the same style, and a lounger...plus eventually a prep station/cabinet for next to the grill. The only reason I asked about paint is then I could cover up the screws a bit better - I'm about done with the first section and I didn't countersink the screws, so most of them I won't be able to cover with wood filler. I've got a countersink set on the way and for the rest of them I'll correct that!

I'll probably just deal with the uglier section for now and decide after staining if I care enough to make a new one.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

sadus posted:

I don't think you want to use pressure treated wood, it has some nasty stuff in it even today. Definitely don't want to breath any sawdust from it especially, but I wouldn't want to sit on it either. I also can't imagine it taking stain very well.

No wood expert but I'd just get some kiln dried regular 2x4s/2x6's, they are dried in a kiln (surprise!) so they should be ready to go and not warp nearly as much as the crappy wet pressure treated stuff from Home Depot which tend to turn into hockey sticks when they dry out. They make mill glaze remover too for fresh wood before you stain it, though I haven't actually used the packets we got, just let it sit out a few months before staining the first time, though not much absorbs until the second year.

I've already built two pieces of the four-piece sectional I'm making, and I have the lumber, so that ship has sailed. But I'll do more research and take this into account when I make the additional pieces I intend (a sleeper chair, an ottoman/coffee table, and a prep station/cabinet for the grill). Also I'll make sure to wear my mask! On the plus side this furniture will ultimately have cushions on it and is armless - so there won't be skin contact with it.

edit: it looks like modern treated lumber probably falls pretty low on the "carcinogens you come into contact daily" scale but after I finish this sectional I'll probably make the lounge chair out of kiln dried. Pressure treated lumber is probably a bit overkill anyhow as it's an above-ground deck that's covered - it gets plenty wet due to wind, but probably less than it would in the open. Though I did notice after I bought it that my building's decks are built from pressure-treated wood.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 16, 2018

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Speaking of furniture building, just got a countersink set for screws and man, was I stupid to not predrill/countersink before. Not only does doing so prevent splitting, but I think it probably takes less time to do the predrilling and then screw versus fight with the screw all the way. Definitely saves screwdriver bits too.

I'll get this poo poo figured out yet.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

brugroffil posted:

Get a pocket screw kreg jig

I'm planning to do that eventually.

quote:

If you're fighting the screw, then I'd guess you're still trying to use Phillips-head screws. gently caress 'em, get star/square (torx/robertson) head screws. The pain from wrestling with Phillips-head screws is not worth the $.02/screw you save, or whatever it is. Spax self-tapping screws are amazing things.

Well either way I'm not fighting with it at all after doing predrilling - which I'll be doing either way due to helping avoid splitting - but I'll look into torx screws next time I'm at Home Depot.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Just finished the third piece of my sectional for my deck, the corner. $100 for a 3 piece sectional owns - should be about $60 to add a fourth piece and a coffee table in a few weeks. I'm looking forward to doing more of this and improving my methods.

Haven't died from the treated lumber yet but we'll see!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

If you're super old school, a giant file cabinet. Or yeah pick up drinking. You can have a huge wine/beer collection without actually having much if you're precious about what you drink and what you're willing to open.

Another option is to just install a regular fridge and a bunch of counters under there. You say you're not a partier but if you're doing meal prep and there's one to a few other people watching TV or talking, you can do your prep work while still being engaged in the conversation.

I'm very jealous of the kegerator, being a drinker without space for one. My condo came with a built in under-counter wine fridge so theoretically I could put one in but I feel like a kegerator would get used twice a year max.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 22, 2018

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

HEY NONG MAN posted:

You say that now. Wait until you install it.

Let me rephrase that. A kegerator would be used twice a year max or cause all sorts of drama and regret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

SpartanIvy posted:

My house came with a free pocket knife!

Looks like it's load-bearing to me