Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

freeasinbeer posted:

Re multimeter; anyone have a particular recommendation, I swore I used to have one, but even if I did it’s back in my NYC apartment that I haven’t been back to in 45 days, and won’t likely be visiting soon.

Having spent 10 years working with all manner of multimeters from the Fluke ones from the 1980s to the analog Simpson 260s to the Keysight benchtops to the top of the line Flukes from today I was tempted to make a dumb post about all of them but in reality a $50 one will be just fine for the poking around at home stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Moved into our new house yesterday, one of the things we wanted was direct Ethernet in a couple rooms that ran back to a more central location. We tried testing it and not surprisingly it didn’t work. I wondered if maybe they screwed up the colors but it turns out the copper isn’t properly seated in the connector and it’s not making any connection. Gonna see if this covered under warranty

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Day 1 was the Ethernet, day 2 the furnace stops working. Off to a great start

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I had issues with my last house, but it wasn’t a new build so they weren’t frequent. This is par for the course I guess

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Up to three now, the fridge tripped its breaker

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
We put blinds on the door today. The builder thought it would be a good idea to have an eight foot tall door with large glass panes so everyone can see inside as they walk by.

Also found out they reversed the inlet water hoses on the washer. There's no indication on which water line is which, seems like a dumb idea

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
So I need some guidance, I've got this thing

that I want to use for this hole

The frame that's already in there doesn't line up with the screwholes for the mount that I have, so it needs to come out. Since the new one isn't flush and there's a board on the right side it seems like the right play is to shift the hole to the left and patch up what I don't use on the right. If there's another option I didn't consider I'd be willing to give it a shot

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

devicenull posted:

Or drill new holes in the existing ring. It's low voltage, so it's fine. I'd guess 99% of cable tv cords installed by the cable company don't even have a mud ring, just screwed right to the drywall.

I figured it out, I think. I was originally thinking the long screws went on the outer screw holes and I'd be drilling into drywall to make it work, but doing it with the short screws on the drywall part makes way more sense. It's so simple and I couldn't see it

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Cut the utility pole down but aim so that it falls on the tree and takes it out as well, gotta be efficient in today’s world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Our new build came with everything Whirlpool, except for the fridge which is LG and we had to buy it separate. Six weeks in and nothing has failed yet