Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Has all the awful 70s wood paneling been ripped out and we're moving on to bitching about dingy 90s carpeting? Hell yeah that's progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The changing definition of small is bizarre, growing up with 5 siblings in a 2 bedroom house seemed normal to me back in ancient times, that's how everyone else seemed to group up as well. I'm guessing you'd get shipped off to Guantanamo Bay for daring to do such a horrible thing to children in 2016.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Buy a decent schlage deadbolt and use it instead of whatever qwikset crap your house has now, random kids who read the MIT guide to lockpicking are not going to be able to pick or bump their way through.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Anyone who likes anything is terrible. highschool.txt

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Describing animals as dumb or not doesn't make much sense, I've personally watched a mother bear eat their own cub on two occasions, nature isn't really smart or dumb so much as it's just way more loving brutal than most people realize.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Man you have no idea, the good problems are the ones that take less than $10K to fix. The good years are the years where you only had one bad problem.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

What is that image trying to convey besides the fact that zestimates are worthless? I just sold a place for $40K over the zestimate and the graph looked like the inverse of that one. So what? Zillow is not good at valuing real estate.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

What the hell are you guys talking about do the spiders breed in the vacuum bag and then millions burst out and overwhelm your house or something oh god oh god oh god

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Maybe combine those snap light covers with USB charging in a few spots around your home:

https://www.amazon.com/TOPGREENER-TU2154A-Charger-Receptacle-Screwless/dp/B00IAZIU5Y

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

I'd also like a more interesting light switch to replace my cheapo ones, and I find the new trend of bafflingly complicated switches with like four buttons and six dimmer sliders to control two zones of lights pretty awful. Any other neat options out there? I don't need dimmers everywhere stoppppp

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Tree service people tend to view everything as a problem that needs to be cut down, because otherwise no time to bill for. Keep close tabs on them always, that's the one contractor I'd never let work unsupervised. Of course I'm super loving picky about my trees and shade and sight lines after spending 10 years on them.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

It's vice so take every paragraph with a huge grain of salt, clicks are the goal not journalism. That being said it's pretty disappointing the neighbor would just go for the easy "yay free new property" cash grab and try to evict them, you'd think anyone reading a loving newspaper in 2016 would have realized by now that the only battle that matters is rich people vs poor people and going after your (at best) middle class neighbor's livelihood is just so loving lovely, find a way to work something out my god.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

As in coax cable? Like for television? That poo poo is still around?

Half joking, I removed a bunch of those outlets last time I painted, previous owner was obsessed with TV in every room I guess. I haven't used cable since 1997 I think and yes they are ugly.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

I'd pay much more than $182 to make someone else replace a toilet for me, that's high on my list of "hard pass" chores.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

This townhouse sounds amazing. I would lawyer up, seems unlivable.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

78% of divorces start from financial struggles and/or trying to hide financial struggles from your spouse. I made that number up, it's probably low.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Yeah what can I buy that has nothing to do with a fuckin cloud and just records to a NAS address or something

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Obvious old man yells at cloud joke

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

start and end your journey here: https://www.speedqueen.com/products/where-to-buy.aspx

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

I feel really sad for all the people going to Sears and buying Kenmores. Just loving stop.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

I see raccoons get stuck inside dumpsters around here all the time, so just build the outside of your yard out of whatever the inside of dumpsters are made out of.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Congrats you don't have to worry about your laundry appliance for 30 years next problem. I wish everything in housing had an answer like that

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

It doesn't matter if the enclosure is metal or wood or gasoline or space mithril, use your brain and don't fire up a grill three feet under a roof people.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Old trees are amazing. Can't think of anything I'd rather have more in a landscape.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

If turds are sitting around on your floor long enough that the daily roomba run smears them around then the goddamn vacuum is the last problem in your life.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Hubis posted:

this is someone who has never owned a cat.

Jesus christ, if your cat is making GBS threads on the floor it is sick or you are neglecting it, go see a vet. I shouldn't have to type this out, how are you this clueless?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Can bugs crawl in and set off smoke detectors? Losing my mind trying to figure out why my smoke/CO detectors go off every few weeks despite there being no smoke and no CO. Just a bunch of those wired together Kidde detectors I think.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Yes all wired, but no, changed all batteries, verified they are all new enough, can measure CO independently and there is nothing. So I'm down to the not so great bug theory. Guess I'll just start swapping them out one at a time? They're all due to be replaced in 2019 anyway.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

In my experience (mostly 2nd hand stories) they will find any pretense, legal or otherwise, to deny those home warranty claims under any circumstances and then dare you to sue them. So they are generally less than worthless, save the money and invest it instead.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Ah only the 1st time new homeowner could possibly want more instead of less grass.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

gently caress everything about a loving smart home I'm done with this poo poo

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

I think in Colorado the city owns the sidewalks but most places have laws about how you have to shovel your sidewalks if it snows. Actually those are only ever enforced to drive "undesirables" out of the neighborhood, so they probably only have similar laws in other places with too many crazy white people.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 30, 2017

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Why are you people going through so much work to mount your TV three feet too high my neck is hurting just looking at those pictures. At least put your couch on stilts.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Yeah throw those HOA letters in the trash*

*unexpected $9K assessment

Yes this happens surprisingly often

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Landscaping seems to be one of those "how much can you fleece a rich guy for?" fields, I've heard of smallish projects like that going for anywhere from $10k-$150k

get many quotes

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

Mount them to the bed of your truck, then unmount them after pulling in to the garbage dump

Aren't these the same bolt on seats you find on low budget trains and buses, like in China? Gross, tacky, and hard to put anywhere. I think QuarkJets has the right idea here.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Yeah that's the biggest problem with living in a rural area: few contractors available and the ones who will be around will try to rip you off or just be meth heads and halfass the job for a few hours before disappearing.

Try to be as self sufficient as possible, or just be prepared to spend fucktons of money.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Check out the home buying thread for many horror stories about those warranties. Even if you have the exact issue the warranty is designed to account for there is always some way for the company to weasel out of them, they seem to be borderline illegal scams.

Effectively less than worthless.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

All social networking is terrible, but especially nextdoor and linkedin please never use them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

Heh, you should see what they did with the plumbing. They installed a utility sink behind the bar in the main living area, and connected its pipes directly to the incoming/outgoing pipes of the laundry room on the other side of the wall, and didn't install an exhaust for it. So whenever the washer is draining, briefly backs up into the utility sink. :buddy:

Oh, and the water heater is from 1989, and was described by the plumber as a "ticking timebomb", and the original workers installed it in such a way that, even though it's located in the laundry room in the garage, if it bursts it will flood the house. So I'm going to get that changed ASAP with a tankless one. Just trying to decide whether it's worth fighting the battle with the home warranty firm to get them to pay for it.

Homeownership is fun!!!

Weird I had that exact same water heater from that year. Also told by the inspector that it was a ticking timebomb. And a plumber said to never try to drain it because that valve is such garbage it will likely never close completely again if you open it.

I decided not to replace it when I bought. I just kept an eye on it and one day noticed it leaking slowly at the bottom, replaced the next day. Hopefully you have similar good luck.