Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
Anyone with experience in treating sulfur and iron reducing bacteria in well water? Every place I look or company I ask has a different solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
My finished basement flooded with $20k worth of damage less than a year after I had refinished it...after the previous flood

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

Deviant posted:

Meanwhile my samsung dryer in the garage plays a whole rear end loving song.

My Makita battery charger can play a variety of classical music, it owns. Pretty sure it's set to Fur Elise right now.

My new whirlpool laundry set plays a five note little thing when it's done

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Pacific northwest, babyyyyy

We export all our wood and have a terrible ratio of software developers to blue collar workers

My kitchen + 2.5 bathroom remodel is going to approach $400k

This isn't the bwm thread

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

Upgrade posted:

I know people love Speed Queen but they tear up your clothes. If you own nice clothing it can become an issue - when I lived with them I would not put a dress shirt through them and had to get things dry cleaned. Also when faced with testing, including durability testing, they don’t stand out.

They're also inefficient and have relatively small capacity.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

Pollyanna posted:

If you want your living space to always have the option of fixing major problems and improving what’s already there, your only option is to own the whole thing. That’s why I’m getting a single-family detached. I don’t want anyone else to have a say in what can and can’t (or won’t) get fixed.

*laughs in AHJ/HOA*

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

DaveSauce posted:

Yup, I know I have time... can't remember the exact date, but I'm pretty sure it's mid-month.

But it's really annoying, and I have no idea how long it'll take to set up an account with them. New servicer is Chase, so part of it is that I don't have any faith that it'll go smoothly at all.

At least insurance and taxes were disbursed recently, so I don't have to worry about those getting screwed up until next year.

Chase sent me a detailed letter stating that my loan changes today but the system will be available on the 11th.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

Beef Of Ages posted:

Maybe a delivery driver accidentally knocked it off during a delivery? I can't imagine what it could be other than that.

Dumb kids?

Door -to-door doorbell salesman setting up his opportunities for the next day?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
I like to think of them as Helpful Susans

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

Verman posted:

I have the manual. If the PO #2 was good for anything, she kept the documentation for the furnace when it was installed and every single service document since the late 90s including three permits for installation and gas line (Used to be oil).

I see one was installed around 98 (which I believe is the current) but I have another work slip for 2010 for nearly $5k for a new furnace and control board but I missing sales tax etc. I'm not sure if it was just a quote.

Regardless, the manual states:

I removed the pressure switch, cleaned the hose and the incoming nozzle. Blowing in the hose activates the switch. Seems to function fine.

I looked over all the fuses and nothing was tripped. I've restarted it several times with no luck. Same result. Inducer comes on, switch clicks, then nothing else. Inducer just keeps going.

My guess is my issue is the ignitor. If the ignitor doesn't come on, the gas solenoid won't open so I think that's my issue. It's cheap enough ($30) that I'm going to start with that.

I ordered a new one which should arrive Thursday.
Is there a blinking light on the control board indicating a specific error code?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
Use more commercial grade stuff like Zenitel or axis if you're really that deep into the backend stuff? Go full blown SIP setup if you want to go crazy.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

Motronic posted:

Last time I looked those were all very proprietary backend. SIP doesn't address video and I'm a telecom network engineer by trade so yeah, I'm fine spinning up a session border controller for a doorbell but that's not a realistic thing I've found on the hardware side.

I think Axis's ACAP platform is an open SDK, and they support ONVIF. Could use the SIP call as an initiator to pull the RTSP video/audio stream? Pushing it to mobile would be something else I'd imagine. I know it integrates seamlessly with enterprise-grade platforms like Genetec, but lol at running something like that for home automation/security $$$$

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Wood can last a surprisingly long time in wet conditions if you use the right wood. I've got a coworker who used to live pretty rurally in North Carolina and we got on talking about the poo poo fences around us (seriously, home depot tier pine that NO ONE PAINTS FOR SOME REASON. Holy gently caress they're all turning grey and rotting before my eyes :psyduck: ) and he got to talking about the split rail fences you see in places like that. I forget what kinds of wood he was talking about, but there are a few trees in Eastern NC that just last a gently caress long time - like decades - in the elements untreated. High density wood and IIRC they're high oil content as well.

Now, make one of those gutters out of a 4x4 from Home Depot and you'll be able to watch it disintegrate in real time.

Along the edge of my yard are old agricultural fence posts made from Osage Orange tree branches with some old barbed wire. Based on some local history, other agricultural artifacts, and satellite/aerial photos, the former farm hasn't had cattle since at least the 60's, and our neighborhood was built in the mid 80's. The fence posts are still solid and show little signs of wear.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
The forest preserve just bought the 50 acre dormant farm plot next to our subdivision and annexed it into the existing restored prairie, ensuring our tiny little peninsula subdivision is surrounded by protected public spaces :sun:

All the other farm land in our area is rapidly becoming massive warehouses

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
Kidde makes a unit that doesn't rely on WiFi or IoT stuff to wirelessly interconnect the units

https://www.kidde.com/home-safety/en/us/products/fire-safety/smoke-alarms/rf-sm-dc/

Last I looked into them, you couldn't get one in dual technology smoke detectors, though.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
Just read a nice story about how a lot of homeowners who got hit by a sudden 1030pm tornado in the western Chicago suburbs a year ago are still having to fight tooth and nail with their insurance companies to get things covered. Over 50% of those with problems are with State farm

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

Motronic posted:

All of this should be in the home automation thread where it's been covered ad nauseum: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635963

Also, all IoT stuff is inherently garbage. There are better ways to do this. The only application for phillips hue is for people renting apartments. Everyone else can and should do better because you're allowed to change the wiring in your own home.

What would it cost to replicate the full functionality and flexibility of an IoT bulb that can be individually or zone scheduled down to color temp or even color via rewiring your house, and how much computer janitoring would you have to do? How much would rewiring just for centralized zone dimmer control of your whole house cost?

Don't get me wrong I'm not an IoT guy myself but "screw in a bulb and set up via app" vs. substantial rewiring and automation control design is a big difference in cost and functionality.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

Motronic posted:

Explain, in detail, your use case for this.

Because "just because it's possible" isn't a use case. People don't need color changing bulbs. People don't USE color changing bulbs past the novelty period. Not people who are old enough to own homes (which is the target audience I'm talking about here).

There are plenty of ways to zone and dim and control color temperature to a reasonable amount, but the most important part of any of this is actually having the right lighting in the right places. Not just one home depot boob light and 4 lovely cans like you have in your rental apartment. When it's your own home you can fix all of this, not just add smart local-control only dimmer switches. So "how much does it cost?" isn't really an answerable question without specifics of the room/space/house.

I'm not defining a specific use case because I don't care about that stuff, but "just rewire your house and replace/add a bunch of light fixtures" is $$$-$$$$$ solution in most if not all cases. Ignoring that sort of hurdle seems counterproductive. Obviously Phillips hue has found a market.

Part of finding the optimal design solution for a building is considering budget, whether it's a $xxx home lighting upgrade or a $xxx,xxx,xxx keystone development. "Just drop a few thousand or more to hire an electrician" isn't necessarily the best answer for all cases.

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 20, 2022

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
Some cartridges are reversible so even if the supply lines are backwards, you can pull it out, rotate 180 and fix the problem.

If it's old and the seals are sticking (or you have crap water), you might need a special cartridge pulling tool to get it out.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
tfw your walls are definitely nice & straight and there isn't a 1" gap on either side of your new bathroom countertop. Glad the Bad Stud was directly in the middle, making it as wonky as possible. Oh well, what's ripping out some drywall and flattening the wall?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
My trick is to call someone because I'm not purchasing, storing, and climbing a 28' extension ladder.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I have this in my well water. It's called iron bacteria. It is doubly bad because the biofilm it produces is a happy place to live for other bacteria, including those toxic to humans. It will not be detected by a standard water test.

The solution is to hire a professional in water treatment, who will "shock" the well with chlorine to kill the existing population. The bacteria may or may not return; if they do, you put in a special treatment system for iron bacteria. (My current house has a UV system to kill anything that might be in the water. It doesn't touch the iron bacteria.)

You can get specific tests for iron and sulfur reducing bacteria

https://www.uswatersystems.com/bart-iron-and-sulfur-reducing-bacteria-tests.html

Shocking our well helped, but the IRB came back after a few months. For us, an iron filter (we have a small amount of iron) with ozone injection has solved the problem for a little over a year now.

https://www.hellenbrand.com/product/residential/iron-water-filtration/promate-6-storm

You could go overboard with a home chlorinator system, mixing tank, and carbon filter but that starts getting expensive (our quotes for an installed system were $4k iirc) and has lots of regular maintenance.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
that is definitely door/window casing a baseboards

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

Johnny Truant posted:

Wasps are fuckin evil shits and should be killed on sight :mad:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
For mosquitos, you could try plants that would attract dragonflies to your yard. They eat them up by the ton.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

dxt posted:

Or if you can build a bat box. Bats love eating mosquitos.

We get both, and essentially zero mosquitoes. It owns.

Though I've heard bats don't give a poo poo about bat boxes.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
Tiles up to the ceiling look nicer imo.

Tiles on the ceiling are a bit much unless you have some architecture magazine level place

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
Buy good trim/door paint and it'll look good. I've had good results with sprayers and foam rollers.

e: always buy good paint, don't cheap out.

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 21, 2022

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
But why not just use concrete anchors and avoid ground contact all together? Cast in place or expansion, both are pretty easy to use.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

StormDrain posted:

Ya but you're a recreational handyman who doesn't need my clarification.

The rest of us are going to wreck our shoulders with a clamshell digger like a real homeowner. Then we'll mix too much water with my quickrete and wet set anchor bolts at a 5 degree angle.

Had a contractor at a previous job gently caress up anchor bolt patterns in a foundation by enough that the whole foundation had to be pulled out and recast.

It was for a 50' lattice tower.

The foundation was 4' diameter x 16' deep.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
One of the outlets in my living room gets 20 or 25V even when the breaker is off. Found out the un-fun way. Always test!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
You can always disguise your TV as Fine Art with the Samsung The Frame panel!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

SpartanIvy posted:

I just measured mine and from being asleep to triggering the motion sensor to put it into art mode, it pulls 50 additional watts. Doesn't seem like that much to me, but it is about $50 a year by my quick napkin math, which isn't nothing.

Samsung says 30% of normal power on art mode

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
Why were they frequently needing to run off generator power though

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
Speaking of sump pumps, is there anyway to really assess the health of one? I know ours was replaced shortly before we moved into the home in January 2016, so it's coming up on 7 years old now.

e:

Motronic posted:

So really this comes down to a few factors that matter: how much you are home vs. risk tolerance. And like.....if I didn't use gas for mowers and stuff I sure wouldn't have a gas generator around because it would just be a PITA with stale fuel, etc.

I mean....hell....the last time I needed my portable generator is was amazingly screwed up because I left the fuel cut off turned on and the entire oil sump was full of fuel. So I guess good thing I have the ability and materials to just change the oil doing a hurricane.

poo poo this reminds me, time for my quarterly generator run

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
We used these for knob controls

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Safety-...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
Idk we did trunk or treat things at both our kid's schools that had huge turnouts, and then we also did regular trick or treating in my parents' neighborhood last night and the sidewalks were all packed with kids, at least as many as I remember from my childhood. You can do both!

e: we've never had a single trick or treator at our own house, old neighborhood with no sidewalks and large setbacks means everyone goes to nearby newer subdivisions

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

Motronic posted:

. The barn I worked at

Jesus how many different jobs have you had lol

e for content: iirc when we were looking at new washer and dryer this time last year, the speed queens had relatively small capacity compared to many of the other top loaders availability out there.

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 5, 2022

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
I installed an aprilaire 600 on my forced air natural gas furnace last winter. It was probably 3 hours all total. I did the plumbing first one day and the duct and electrical work a second. A pro would take half the time, maybe.

DO NOT USE A SADDLE VALVE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
In Illinois at least, I've always seen gas furnaces vent out horizontally on the first floor, like this: