Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

For phone, just pull an additional cat 6/6a cable. Gives you more flexibility and usable data outlets in on the future, and you can just patch and terminate as necessary in your telecom closet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

CarForumPoster posted:

Just bitching:

I'm "resurfacing" my dock. I was quoted >$20K by two contractors and the total DIY was like $3K so guess who is someones future gary. I've now made it to the bottom half of the nail box so 500+ nails (at almost $0.25/stainless nail!), 6 sistered joists and one total joist replacement that a bat jumped out of. That joist was so rotted that I was able to simply rip most of it off the boards it was previously nailed to.

The bat was literal flying mouse thing not like, a baseball bat was wedged under my dock by the previous gary.

My hands hurt.

When I first read this, I read it as your dock was submerged and you were raising it back to the surface

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I have a very small amount of seepage coming in from where my supply line for my well passes through the foundation. Is the right fix for this smearing the area with silicon caulk?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Sure is below grade, probably 4'. At lease there's no planting right above it to work around.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Motronic posted:

That's a great post. You never know what domain specific knowledge random goons are gonna bring.

So initial pricing might be right but after that it's all catches and you're literally signing up to clean and operate a poo poo plant.

hey, everyone needs a hobby

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Leave a tap cracked to keep the water flowing at a trickle

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Best lubricant for squeaky interior door hinges?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I'm sorry for your loss

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

FWIW consumer reports has a blanket "we don't recommend any cordless stick vacuums"

We got a shark navigator nv586 open box about six months ago that we've been happy with

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's not possibly to turn your house into a boat and keep the water out that way,

The hell you say

https://www.granddesignsmagazine.com/grand-designs-houses/grand-designs-amphibious-house-buckinghamshire/

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

My neighbors recently had an awful time with Pella. The installers were great, but Pella kept delaying things by months and then sent 25% of the wrong windows.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

We have a coffee pot with a reusable grounds filter. We dump that into the garbage every morning, but there's still maybe a teaspoon to a table spoon that we rinse down the drain and on to the septic system. Should we not be doing that?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Upgrade posted:

All the money has been spent on the down payment, closing costs, and arranging movers. Nothing left over.

: Grand Designs theme song begins playing:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Cyrano4747 posted:

The floor is crooked. The tile is there to replace some really lovely wooden trim (you know the pre-painted stuff at Home Depot? That. Exactly that) that was sponging up any water that got on the floor and rotting. It just needs to be reasonably water resistant, not water tight.

But yeah, PO's put down tile without bothering to do any leveling what so ever, and left some giant (like 1/2 inch in places) gaps on the edges that they covered with the above mentioned lovely trim. Lots of filling gaps with tile fragments and trying to get poo poo as level as I could, but it was never going to be perfect.

The problem wasn't paint on the grout, the problem was grout on the paint.

Sounds like the only fix is to go down to the studs

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

In the last two years, our policy has doubled. When I used a broker to shop around last fall, there wasn't anything better. This is in suburban Chicago and not a flood plain. I did have a roof claim four years ago, but man it sucks paying so much.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I have the 40V Ryobi chainsaw with a 6Ah and a 4Ah battery. I've run out of power with the other battery not yet recharged once or twice but pretty rare.

I also have one of these, and it's great for trimming:

Sirotan posted:

I just cut off a prob 6-7" diameter trunk from a tree with this and it took me maybe 3min of effort:

I keep thinking I should get an EGO chainsaw but this 'samurai' saw is sharp as gently caress and great for tree work within arm's reach. Highly recommended.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

dalstrs posted:

I'm going to disagree. You deal with the NG install once. You'll be dealing with an ugly propane bottle after every X amount of usage. Switching from a propane grill to an NG one has made me use it 5x more.

Assuming you have the pressure I think they should be able to T it off. I would get a plumber for this though. They should be able to advise you on the permitting required in your area and possibly better ways to accomplish what you are wanting.

Wish I had done this when we bought our grill years ago. There's even a capped off stub from an old pool heater 10' away!

We use our grill 3-7 times a week year round so it just means lots of propane refill trips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

You can get the nicer appliance now and reinstall it down the road after the reno!