Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Also to add if you decide the house is too gross for you and the solution is to rent it out lol I hope you have a really good attorney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

AHH F/UGH posted:

The countertops are coming from my savings, the rest is coming from financing I got to buy and upgrade/fix the house to make it livable. It's really not as simple as how you describe it at all (throw down some juice and carpet it and call it good!) and believe me, there's no wishful thinking about how difficult it will be to get the smell out, but that's a step-by-step process of "try this, if it works great, it if doesn't go deeper into sanding/drywall ripping/joist ripping" so there's not much point in going insane gung-ho gutting until it's actually warranted. I'm not glossing over anything and I do read what people say, but we're not at the point yet of blowing it all up. I mentioned before but the house is not very damaged, it's just really dirty and gross. I'm going to hope for the best regardless but I'll keep it real, don't worry. We still have a budget that we have to work within, though and there's really no way around that part. After just getting the carpet and padding out, the place smells waaaaay loving better now.

The scoffing at a $27 jug of cleaner is just any liquid that costs $27 for a jug better truly be some magical poo poo that works because I'd really not like to spend that much money on something that ends up just being useless or a scam.

For what it's worth, we're getting professional crawlspace guy to come by on Saturday to do a full top-to-bottom inspection on the crawlspace and floors and give recommendations. I'm making videos of every day of the work we do and I'll stich it together at the end so people can either eat crow or laugh at my pathetic boner. Either way it'll be entertaining.

I'm glad you're taking things seriously, and maybe I'm cynical and a jerk, but this is what I'm talking about :

quote:

get the smell out, but that's a step-by-step process of "try this, if it works great, it if doesn't go deeper into sanding/drywall ripping/joist ripping" so there's not much point in going insane gung-ho gutting until it's actually warranted. I'm not glossing over anything and I do read what people say, but we're not at the point yet of blowing it all up. I mentioned before but the house is not very damaged, it's just really dirty and gross.

What people are saying is that the issue isn't the smell, the smell is a symptom of deeper problems - and judging if things are fixed isn't 'is the smell temporarily gone'. From everything you have posted the type of cleanup you need to make that house safe and habitable is extensive, challenging, and expensive, and an incremental approach from amateurs seems like the last thing you'd want to try. How are you judging whats good enough? Have you brought in anyone to do mold assessment? Pest control? And good enough isn't "looks pretty" its "is this safe for me and my family to live in without getting sick." That's pretty high stakes! These are not cosmetic challenges. This is more than cleaning.

And if you don't know exactly what's needed to fix these issues and make the house safe, how do you have a budget? From the fact that you're doing the work yourself, my guess is you're on a pretty tight budget - and in my eyes going into a project where there's a question about what needs to be done, and the answer to that question is tens of thousands of dollars difference, you really need to be in a position where that money doesn't matter to you because you can't have a budget.

It just sounds like trouble that's going to end badly. And, for the love of God, if theres any question about the environment in that house, do not try to rent it out. You are going to get impossibly, absolutely hosed. I hope I'm wrong about the situation and it works out. But reading your post gives me second degree anxiety because of all the unknowns that are absolutely ruinous.

Edit: Also, have you had any of the basic systems in the house assessed? Did you get an inspection? Check for termites? As the roof ok? I can't imagine in a house where there's literally ankle high piles of rat poo poo that anyone has been doing HVAC maintenance or maintaining the roof. Houses which aren't maintained fall apart, quickly.

Upgrade fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 3, 2021

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

For furniture in a fan of CB2 and CB, Design Within Reach and vintage MCM

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

AHH F/UGH posted:

Imagine this but with rat turds e v e r y w h e r e

My update is: Getting the doors made now, holy poo poo they're expensive, going to be around $2000 for everything. Contacting people about swapping out the old 240 amp dryer and oven hookups to make sure they're grounded and safe.

I made a spreadsheet of everything that needs to happen and it's... long. Some of the stuff is pretty easy and small but it's a ton of small things and a few big ones. The thing I'm dreading most is all the carpentry work I'm going to have to do in the kitchen.

Did you get mold testing back yet?

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

this is super weird, but i have a closet that always has a floral smell. think cheap perfume. it's definitely not a damp/mold smell. any thoughts? its not close to any pipes, theres no water damage, some of the plaster has delimitated in a few spots (100+ years old, probably never been refinished) but the wall underneath is totally fine... no evidence of any old leaks, the floor is totally fine, and the rooms around it don't smell. going to stick a moisture absorber in there but its very dry. smell does not change based on rain/weather. I know old plaster can sometimes smell like ammonia but that's definitely not what this smell is.

Upgrade fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 15, 2021

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Motronic posted:

Somebody probably had potpourri or something in there for years and it's in the paint and now plaster. Depending on the smell it might even be the actual plaster......some old places I've done work in just have plaster that smells like that, especially when you start cutting into it.

Cover it will oil Kilz or similar and it should go away.

Its currently full of extra hangers and some bins of clothes, so probably just going to do nothing, lol.

Also gently caress plaster. Forever.

At least we now have a nicely mounted TV. Just need to figure out what to do with the soundbar. And to cover up the holes the PO left in the bookshelf to run cord to his ugly above fireplace mounted TV, which was an abomination with a blank faceplate.

Upgrade fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 15, 2021

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Carpet is gross and for lesser souls.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

TheRealReal and 1stdibs are good sources for high end used furniture

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

What’s a fair price for a roof inspection? Roof is flat TPO.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Have you hired that exterminator yet

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

There’s a goon who has spent 7 years unsuccessfully renovating his house who bought a panel van to help him buy supplies they will sit unused in his non functioning kitchen

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Home ownership sure owns.

Had some guys come out and inspect our roof since we WAIVED OUR INSPECTION - looks great, but now we'll need to hire a mason to help remortar our chimneys (seven).

And going to have to pay a bunch to fix some janky rear end job the PO did on gutter work off our balcony (covered up original inbuilt gutters, using some janky emergency tape).

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

It’s large and old. None of the fireplaces will ever be used.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Residency Evil posted:

Today I learned that if you have a Homelink garage door opener in your car, LED lightbulbs in your garage door opener will interfere with it working.

:psyduck:

Yikes I’m really really sorry. Thoughts and prayers that you can make it through.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

What’s a typical cost to switch from a gas tank to gas tankless?

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

$2600 to fix the PO's janky "gutter" solution -- installing patch tape over a roof edge -- with a permanent solution of a custom drip edge to channel water away from our front door and seal everything to the balcony roof. Not urgent, but will be done sometime in the next 6-8 mos. The good news is that the janky solution isn't really impacting anything -- the drip line is about 10 feet from our foundation -- so its more of a cosmetic fix with a bit of function.

It was exciting to learn about how gutters were constructed in well built circa 1900s homes -- everything was inbuilt with channels cut into roof beams that empty at a lowest point into a drain pipe -- but of course all of that beautiful work was covered up with a huge balcony sometime in the last 100 years. I guess its cool that the rest of the house doesn't have gutters! We have two 4 inch pipes that drop down from our angled roof, go underground into a huge concrete holding basin, which connects directly into the storm drain.

Upgrade fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 29, 2021

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

twerking on the railroad posted:

It can be relatively cheap if your tank is very close (a few feet at most) to an outside wall and that outside wall isn't too much of a bear to cut a vent out to.

If your current water heater is in the middle of your basement, it might not be possible to locate the tankless in the same location and you'll need to move the water and gas lines and that's pretty yikes.

It’s a gas tank heater and is about a foot from a wall and a boiler, so sounds like it’s an ideal setup. It’s already vented.

I know some neighbors have combo boilers and hot water heaters but those are expensive and our boiler runs really well (even though it’s 40 years old.)

I will say when we moved in I was concerned because it’s a tiny tank but we’ve never run out of hot water.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

twerking on the railroad posted:

Well, the first impulse for the installation crew is still probably going to be to drill/knock open a hole for a new vent because they want to vent out in a code-compliant way. If not opening new holes in the side of your house is a priority for you, make sure to discuss that ahead of time so that they can properly place the water heater.

Yea honestly don’t car either way - it’s an unfinished basement and there’s already a million weird holes and vents crudely painted shut from when the house ran off coal.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

We have Levolor blinds and they’re fine but we actually just leave everything open except the bedroom. We do have some plantation shutters in some rooms and I hate them. They’re so large and stupid and weigh a shitload because they’re solid wood.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

so I still kind of hate having radiators, but I have to say that when its 0 degrees outside (which happens once or twice a year) its nice to be sitting at 73 degrees inside while a family member with only a heat pump can't break 60

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

The nice thing about radiators is they they stay warm without actively being theater, which also sucks when it gets too hot inside

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

pointsofdata posted:

What's their insulation like? A heat pumps performance doesn't go to zero at that sort of temp, modern ones should still be more efficient than radiators (IE have a CoP > 1)

Their house has zero insulation

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Moving to our new place with modern windows and insulation was a game changer

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

pointsofdata posted:

WTF how can you build or even live in a house like that when it can go to -17C. Just burning money for half the year.

It’s a rental so you and do poo poo

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Why not tear out the wood floor?

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Thwomp posted:

Is there any trick or strategy to getting new windows?

I’m not sure if we’re ready to take that plunge yet but it’s be nice to get some ballpark figures.

I’m pretty sure all our windows are original (~60 years) or just old as gently caress. We live in the Midwest so cold winters and hot summers.

Do you have lead paint

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Hadlock posted:

Buying a used house in about 30 years will be really nice because the number of homes still standing without lead or asbestos remediation will have shrunk substantially; right now all the remaining homes with zero remediation are coming up on necessary 40-50 year maintenance. In 30 years a lot of homes will be going through their second major remodel

But yeah if there's any question about lead paint, the answer is almost certainly "yes" even if it's a base layer buried deep down

Almost every home in my area is from the 20s - 50s which is why I wouldn’t look at anything with original windows because lol at remediation

But also you have to measure old homes against the number of shoddily built homes from the 70s to 90s and how those will age. The devils choice between asbestos but built to last and asbestos free but disposable.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

If you don’t tear out the floor you can pretend the cat piss didn’t penetrate deeper

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I also think that quality and livability of old homes can vary a lot from decade to decade. I’ve sent a lot of nice livable homes built in the 1920s and a a ton of junk from the 50s and 60s

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

What’s the best way to get salt stains out of brick pavers?

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

If it helps I have a GE fridge made by LG and it’s a piece of poo poo.

We have a GE dishwasher and it’s fine but when it dies I’m buying a Bosch with a silverware rack.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Elephanthead posted:

Order it now lol

Sadly our current one works great snd is only a few years old so I will using the silverware box like a loving moron for years to come

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The room off our kitchen serves as house entry, entry to shower room, home for washer/dryer, and one wall of shelves for pantry goods.
The shelf space is 41" wide x 67" tall x 15" deep. Deep shelves suck, because you can't find anything.

What I'd like to do is something like one of these systems https://rev-a-shelf.com/2538 or these https://rev-a-shelf.com/16671

The catch is that all of the roll-out pantry systems I've found are built to be installed into an existing cabinet; they need to be mounted to the walls and ceilings and doors of such a cabinet. Does anybody know of companies that build systems like these (maybe for commercial storage?) that are mounted only to the ceiling and back wall?

The actual available space is 47" wide x 80" x 22 1/2" deep.

Buy Vitsoe

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Custom radiator covers are very, very expensive.

$600 for just one. Yikes :(

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

tomapot posted:

We got one custom made for our kitchen remodal, had to get it super tight to the door frame. Just got on the phone with them to walk through the measurements. Went with the New England style, very happy with the product. 24" Wide x 26" High was $220.
https://www.fichman.com/radiator_covers.html

Yep this is the company we’re using - ours is a weird shape and it’s bigger do it costs more

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

therobit posted:

At least they look pretty nice.

They're all custom built and handmade.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I would say the stove is poorly placed in that picture

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Is there any path to replace plaster walls with drywall? We have a fair number of cracks in the plaster throughout, but only one room where the plaster is legitimately jacked up - probably because it hasn’t been touched in what’s likely sixty years. Nothing “serious” - all cosmetic - but you could definitely go in and peel big chunks off. Should I just have someone replaster the area? It’s around a window, outside a sill (the window has been replaced) and along a wall.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Also going to enjoy getting estimates on chimney repointing. Hope it’s something like $500, a chimney, know it’d going to be a lot more.

(If it helps it’s a slightly sloped roof and they won’t need a ladder to work on the chimneys)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Keyser_Soze posted:

I need the top of my 1980 built chimney done too (in Norcal.)

None of the actual brick masons will even bother to call back :argh: and the "chimney" type guys just want to squirt more goo into the cracks for $500.

One thing that’s nice about being in an old East Coast city is there are a lot of brick masons. We also have a lot of people who specialize in plaster or crown molding etc.