Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Sundae posted:

They still go door to door here in CA, just accompanied by parents. I get a doorbell ring once or twice a year. I haven't seen boy/cub-scouts and popcorn in forever, though. No idea if they still do that.

In Virginia, the Boy Scouts chapter in my area sold mulch. They went door to door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Had my first weird interaction with the neighbors today. The guy that lives next to us is 80 or 90 and his kids come over and do his landscaping.

My yard runs right against his driveway so when I mowing I usually turn around in his driveway to go over the next swath of grass. Whenever there’s been mulched grass left behind on the driveway, I run over it with a leaf blower and I also edge that part of the driveway. His driveway continues another 200’ up a hill to his house so it’s a small portion of the driveway and I haven’t gotten into the boundary lines to see if it’s his or my yard. I’m guessing the lawn mower must have left some rubber tire marks due to me turning the mower around on their driveway, so today I found a note in my mailbox:

quote:

Hi, I am the lawn and outdoor
caretaker of my parent’s lawn. I have noticed that there are lawn mower tracks on their driveway. I was hoping you would consider NOT turning your mower so we could eliminate these marks? I sure appreciate your help with this matter. Reach out with any questions!

She left her number so I texted her and apologized. Just a weird thing to reach out to someone for, but what do I know.

Also, update on the shed. No permit fee required for under 200 square foot sheds, but there is a permit. They sent me a GIS image and told me to mark where I’ll put it so that’s good. It just has to be more than 10’ away from my boundary line on any side.

I’m still looking into a boundary survey to see what it will cost.

If that image is right, it looks like my property actually spans two towns? There’s a boundary line with the towns name scrubbed off, which is not where my address is, but the town adjacent to it.

nwin fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 13, 2023

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Motronic posted:

This works in some places for some density and species of trees. It is not a generally applicable solution. In may situations it just leads to excess thatch up to dead patches of grass from excess coverage, snow mold, etc.

Agreed. My 1.5 acre lot with plenty of oak trees will not allow me to just mulch everything.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Douche4Sale posted:

It's a terrible website for old people to be cranky and racist, but nextdoor has actually been really useful for me as a new homeowner in a new area. We've gotten great recommendations for a lot of people when I've asked and I have been very happy with the quality and price of work so far. I usually contact the top 2 or 3 for quotes or more info.

Just make sure you do the usual checks of people's credentials, licenses, and insurance like anywhere else.

Nextdoor and Facebook town groups have been a waste of time for me.

90% of the recommendations are just the spouse plugging their partners company.

“Sheila smith said: check out Smith plumbing llc. jay is a great guy and honest!”

Shiela smith: married to: Jay smith.

It’s loving annoying.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Gary told me on his way out that he would wipe down the copper pipes in the basement monthly, as some kind of preventative maintenance.

What’s up with that? He was a navy machinist mate, so maybe he got it from his job.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

We’d like to redo our bathrooms but our neighbors have not shared any tips or who they have used in the past.

Both bathrooms have all original equipment save for one toilet which is within 3 years old. The other stuff is all from 1987.

We’re not looking to turn anything upside down, but we need a new tub, new flooring, and a new vanity. We put some light fixtures in when we moved in (to get rid of the gold plated stuff), and we’ve painted the walls a color we like, but that’s it.

So what’s the best way to go about this? Hire a general contractor to get someone to subcontractor the floor, tub, vanity install?

Should we buy the vanity ourselves and hire someone for the floor and the tub?

Just not sure the right way to go.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Cyrano4747 posted:

Installing your own vanity is piss easy. It's basically a table with that you screw two little hoses and a pipe into. If it goes flush to the wall (most do) caulk the top of it where it runs up against the wall and boom your done. Really the only thing you can screw up is not tightening the hoses enough and having a leak, or somehow loving up the p-trap. If you've got modern plumbing it's nothing, if you've got old plumbing you might need to wrench on some old steel pipes.

I'm a certified idiot (see above posts about paint) and minus the caulking I can take mine out and put it back in in about 10 minutes (we need both sinks, so as I've been getting bathroom repairs done in bursts of free time I've been having to put it back in until the next round of bathroom work).

Yeah so the vanity I’m fine with. We have toyed with making it a dual sink vanity instead of single like we currently have in the master bath…that plumbing might be outside of my scope. We also don’t think it would work well with our space (max width of 54”)

I’m not fine ripping linoleum out and putting new linoleum in (haven’t thought about putting tile in…it’s not in any other part of the house). I’m also not going to mess with dropping a new tub/shower combo in. Beyond my scope.

So it’s mainly flooring and the tub/shower that I would need to contract out.

For those, should I get the flooring done first or the tub?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Question on windows. Do mine need insulation behind the trim?

I’m taking the trim off my bathroom windows to paint them and noticed a 1” gap between drywall and the window frame.

Should I fill this with spray foam for windows?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Motronic posted:

Yes, this is where windows are supposed to (and often aren't) insulated. It make a huge difference.

You want to use the blue spray foam - low expansion. The regular or high ex stuff will bend the window frames and make it so you can't operate them.

Bonus point for caulking your trim once that gets put on.

Thanks. I’ve felt cold air around lots of the windows and figured they might need replaced. I’m betting since this window isn’t insulated, the rest aren’t either.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Uh, this is behind some bedroom trim.

Looks like these things are long dead, but wtf is it?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Cyrano4747 posted:

How big are they?

I'm not saying this is what they are - emphatically saying this because i'm not a bug doctor or anything - but they kinda look like termite mud tubes.

Can you get a good pic of any of the dead ones?

edit: little winged guy in the lower right of that formation kinda looks like a termite swarmer to me, but again not an expert.

Maybe 1/4”

The only pics I’m seeing online of termite mud tubes are brown. This is definitely white. Like they made a nest out of joint compound or other. The long wings seem like a swarmer but the face is too decayed to make anything else out. Maybe just ants? I dunno.

nwin fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 24, 2024

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

SpartanIvy posted:

They look like mud dauber nests to me. What's the backside look like?

Stucco? Closest thing I can think of.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

PainterofCrap posted:

Mud daubers.

Go outside, get down under the window, and look up. Guarantee you have a gap there.

Think the crack in the window siding might be the culprit?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

God dammit.

This is my large downstairs window. About 6x5’

That’s a 2” gap allllllll the way along the bottom.in it I’m finding and coffee lid and old cigarette butts.

And dead ladybugs. Lots of dead ladybugs.

Edit: it’s also about 8” deep.

nwin fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 25, 2024

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Duckman2008 posted:

At least it isn’t your phone breaking ?

:lol: the 14 pro has treated me well. So far.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

PainterofCrap posted:

Absolutely; that’s the front door. Caulk it up.

And that window gap downstairs is fine; I’d pack it with insulation before putting the stool back up.

Thanks. I don’t think spray foam will work for an area this big though-do you?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

This is a loving process. My wife was adamant in painting all the trim when we moved in and she got 80% of it done until she got a job.

So now I’m looking at all these pieces of trim that are painted but I know possibly have zero insulation in them.

Like the big window I pictured earlier (I got some fiberglass batting at jammed it in there and then put foam afterwards), that was a chore. And now I have to go back and fill in the holes and touch up that paint.

Just thinking that I have around 6 more windows to do if I really want to. I know 3 of them definitely feel cold in the winter, so it’s probably worth pulling it apart.

I miss the days of renting where I took a day off work and just rode my bike. Now it’s just filled of home projects. I went to Costco by myself though so that was cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Upgrade posted:

Sadly I need to buy a diswasher.

Budget is $600-$700, anyone have experiences with either of these models?

https://www.costco.com/samsung-46-d...stainless+steel

https://www.costco.com/whirlpool-top-control-dishwasher-with-soak-and-clean-cycle.product.100682823.html

Looking to get 5ish years out fo this until we do a kitchen reno and replace everything.

I’ve had that Samsung for 2 years with no issues. Works great, quiet, does a good job on the dishes.