Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Elephanthead posted:

Why are you going back inside? Oh because you don't have an outdoor TV that's why.

This.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Hey we popped our inane :goonsay: slap fight cherry.

Will the topic of grilling and outdoor TVs always derail us? I can't wait to find out!

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Devian666 posted:

Is this the right thread to bitch about running out of grass seed this morning. Also why do birds like eating all the seed? Is the "anti-bird coating" delicious?

It's actually just birdseed.

It's a plot by big bird to trick us all into easy feedings.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The gas company is replacing a main line that runs under all the tree lawns with a new plastic one.

Apparently the old one is some rusted out metal thing that's been slowly leaking gas out everywhere.

Hope no one tosses a cig on my tree lawn before this poo poo is replaced.

Or ever because gently caress litterbugs.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I have a couple of slow drains, but not all of them are slow. House was built in '91, slab foundation.

Here's a pic of the clean out:

And here's a pic of the edge of the yard where the ditch starts. It seems to sag a bit there.

And here are the two trees that the line runs between:

Should I be concerned here? I was planning on having a plumber come out to figure out the slow drains (they're all sinks), but should I do a sewer inspection too?

This house is going up for rent next month and I really don't want to have a sewer disaster once it's occupied.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Sperg Victorious posted:

Is it all of your sinks or just some? If the mainline is getting blocked up, it should be the whole house.

You can open that clean out and look down it while you're running a bunch of water and see how well it's flowing. It'll at least give you an idea. If it's backing up in the cleanout, then you know the problem is downstream.

Just a few of the sinks... The most used sinks actually. I think I need to clean the trap out.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I posted this as a warning in the other thread....

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
All I can think of when y'all poo poo on zestiment is "unskew unskew!" but maybe I've been spending too much time in D&D.

Seriously though buyers use that poo poo to reinforce their delusions.

Edit:

Also, just got a quote of $5.5k to put an acrylic shower stall over an old tile shower. 36x39"

That seems....high

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 31, 2016

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Elephanthead posted:

$5,500 seems high to me get more quotes. A full on tile shower of large size is only $10,000 and that is much more labor and material. Are you getting fancy thick glass doors or something? Those can be pricey.

Basic acrylic insert and pan in a 36x39 ish stall. No door. Includes tearing out existing tile.

Edit: i decided I'm going to clean the gently caress out of the existing pan and regrout it and my tenants can deal.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So I was going through some of my closing docs from my purchase a few years ago and noticed something weird.

The appraisal came back about $30k above the sale price, but the bank didn't submit that appraisal for underwriting. They submitted another with a different date that came back at exactly the sale price.

I had no knowledge of a 2nd appraisal being done.

I wonder what that was about...

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
What is the typical life expectancy of a garage owner? I have a craftsman from '91 that's still chugging along.

It sounds like the whole house is being thrown in a blender but it works.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

slap me silly posted:

Depends whether you maintain the door springs yourself or hire it out.

:golfclap:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
My house rented after 11 days on the market :stare:

I think we may have underpriced it...

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Several different plumbers in two very different areas dealing with very different houses have all suggested avoiding tankless. It seems like retailers push them but plumbers aren't fans.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Basement chat:

I have a 101 year old house with masonry foundation walls. It's somehow dry down there and the two waterproofing guys I've had come look at it said its fine to finish with proper techniques.

I'm not ready to make that investment, but I need to get my office set up so I can stop working from the dining room table.

The basement is divided into a few rooms with original bad rear end brick walls: a Landry room, a 34x17 foot main space, and a 17x12 room that I'll use as an office.

I'm having the windows replaced in a few weeks. The original hoppers are awesome and none of the glass is broken but they leak tons of cold air during the winter and lots of bugs come in through the the cracks.

Once that's done I'm going to insulate the rim joists and then clean the hell out of everything.

I'm then considering putting down a resilient vinyl floor over an air gap underlayment and then using the space as is with unfinished walls and ceiling. Move my office furniture down there and get to work. The space is stays a really consistent temperature between all the concrete and the duct work.

There is about 7'8" of clearance so it doesn't really feel claustrophobic.

Bad idea or the worst idea?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

mastershakeman posted:

There's probably just changes in philosophy. My entire subfloor in my house is a big concrete slab that's poured into the foundation somehow, so when you're in the basement you look up and just see Ibeams and concrete. I don't think that's a construction technique ever used anymore, but it seems really nice to my uneducated viewpoint. Since it was built in '48 I'm guessing bomb shelter type idea at the time. Maybe it sucks versus earthquakes, but I'm in Illinois so I'm not too worried about that because if the new madrid fault goes we're all screwed

My garage floor is done this way. From the basement under the garage it looks like concrete beams resting on a steel ibeam.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I can't believe how many people are loving shitdicks.

When mowing I will take extra time and inefficient routes to avoid blowing clippings across the property line or into the street. I then use a leaf blower to blow anything that went into the street back into my property.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
:whatup:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

moana posted:

Our smoke detector was acting up right before Thanksgiving last year, so we were going to replace it after our family trip. We tossed it in one of our bags so as to not forget to replace it when we got home.

Well, we were driving on the highway when it went off. The hush button didn't work. The battery plate was screwed on. There is nothing louder than a smoke detector in a car that you can't shut off. We ended up pulling off on the side of the highway and smashing it against the asphalt until it shattered and died a whimpering death.

I thought hoped this story was going to involve the TSA.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

couldcareless posted:

If the neighbors have been unknowingly owning that property for however long, wouldn't they owe a ridiculous amount of back taxes on it now?

I think the Carey's children were paying taxes on an empty lot, if there are even property taxes there.

The more I think about it the less sense it makes. Even in the wastelands of Oklahoma I can't figure out how a parcel gets subdivided, a house built, mortgaged, and no one notices.

In the article they blame the lack of a mortgager for part of why it wasn't caught, but the story starts with the home being REO. I don't get it.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Pryor on Fire posted:

It's vice so take every paragraph with a huge grain of salt, clicks are the goal not journalism. That being said it's pretty disappointing the neighbor would just go for the easy "yay free new property" cash grab and try to evict them, you'd think anyone reading a loving newspaper in 2016 would have realized by now that the only battle that matters is rich people vs poor people and going after your (at best) middle class neighbor's livelihood is just so loving lovely, find a way to work something out my god.

Oklahoma.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
We've done a double houses with Benjamin Moore Regal Select and Aura (for the rooms where you'll see the walls up close) and really like them. So much nicer to use than crap from Home Depot or Lowes.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Trillian posted:

I heard good things about Benjamin Moore paint many times so I tried their stain on my deck this summer, and it is awful. It's been two months and the deck is covered in shoe prints and leaf prints that can't be washed off. I am going to have to strip it again and redo it next year. So much work down the drain.

I would pay almost any money for paint/stain if I knew for sure I could trust the product, but it seems like there are bad experiences with every brand.

I had the opposite experience when I painted our deck with their poo poo. Old gross busted wood, I used the prep product and scrubbed it, one coat later it looked great. Two winters so far and no issues.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Whoops wrong thread.

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 4, 2016

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Yond Cassius posted:

How big and healthy is it? Large (>20" diameter, measured 4'6" from the ground, at least 10 feet before any major branches), high-quality (straight, free of nails/foreign objects/damage) black walnut trees are extremely valuable for lumber. Call a custom/mobile sawmill nearby and talk to them; you might even make some money on the bargain. Be prepared to take pictures and measurements.

Even if it isn't lumber-grade, walnut is pretty good firewood, so a contractor might be willing to do it cheap/free in exchange for keeping the wood to sell later, or you might be able to sell some of it yourself and offset the cost.

He probably doesn't have rights to harvest lumber from the tree lawn.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Had two ancient water heaters that were hooked up in parallel to feed both tap and hydronic replaced with one 80 gallon fast recover gas unit specifically designed for dual use with hydronic: $1700 for everything. Included removing all the old stuff and the old wood (:eek:) pedestal, a ton of replumbing, and reworking the exhaust.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I abuse the poo poo out of my Spirit E-210 and I tend to go through drip trays about once a year, and the mechanism for hanging the propane bottle is pretty chinsy, but other than that it's pretty great.

I don't use a cover and it sits outside in harsh winters. Has also been moved three times.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Motronic posted:

That sounds promising. My problem with gill covers is that since I use it all the time I end up destroying one or two a winter when it's going through freeze/thaw cycles and some part of the cover is frozen or stuck to the grill.

I was getting wasps nests in mine within days of preciously using the grill, so I started leaving the cover off, and just never put it back on in the winter.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

minivanmegafun posted:

I guess Great Lakes region is a little broad. I've lived in municipalities with a coast on the lake, so, yeah. Love that fresh water :yum:

Yeah lake eerie water is surprisingly good considering what Cleveland did do it for the last two hundred years.

Can't wait for that delicious carcinogenic sludge taste once Pruitt is done with the EPA.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I used to mow a ditch with about a 45 degree angle on my riding mower and usually only had to hop off and keep it righted once or twice per pass lol

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
man pier and beam is weird to me. I've only ever lived in slab on grade or full basement homes and it's so weird to see the house sitting on rocks and poo poo.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

SpartanIvy posted:

It's the old intake duct for a furnace that used to be down there. I dragged it over to the crawlspace entrance to disassemble and remove it but it's now in the water so that will happen some other day.

Same, but I saw the benefits as a DIYer and here I am. In Texas your slab foundation will eventually get wrecked by the soil, but pier and beam has way less issues. It's much easier to fix up, find insect problems, and fix plumbing issues with. My pier and beam has all concrete piers that go pretty drat deep into the ground and a couple of blocks on the surface for added support in some areas, but I've seen piles of rocks in other houses.

Yeah I can totally see the benefit. I think I’d want to dig just a little deeper, pour a non-structural slab, and condition the space though. Make like a crawl-basement.

But then again back in January we had 3 weeks of single degree temps so I’m a bit weird about vented spaces.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

MrYenko posted:

Having the backsplash on my granite counter removed for aesthetic reasons. The guy puts a prybar behind it to pop it off the wall, and a foot of it SHATTERS. The installer took the backsplash, used construction glue against the drywall, and used what I can only describe as satan’s own black superglue and glued the backsplash to the countertop.

This stuff was so strong that the GRANITE COUNTERTOP failed before the glue bond. So now I have six inches or so of my countertop that looks like it exploded.

:suicide:

Poly it. Thats the trendy thing to do recently.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
We have an unused chimney that runs up through the kitchen, between a bedroom and bathroom, and out through the roof that used to vent the boiler. I’d love to knock it out and use it as a laundry chute as the laundry room is where the boiler used to be.

My other chimney only has one fireplace left. There used to be one in the master bedroom but someone bricked over it.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Also, at least my spigot isn't this bad, which I saw today at my uncle's neighbor's house/duplex/apartment/tenement.

Amazing.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

TheWevel posted:

I'm putting in a fence too... It's only 325 linear feet and it's averaging $6k. I don't even want to think about how much 2500 linear feet costs. It's possible you're scaring them off.

What type of fence? I just paid $4400 for 172’ of 6’ wooden privacy fence.

I have another 400 feet to do with 4 foot faux rod iron which will be around $15k.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Etrips posted:

Well, heat pump/central heat, house runs on electricity, 2x 200 amp panels, yes on a/c.

Holy poo poo. Are you actually Doc Brown?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Do LPG tanks introduce the same potential local environmental liability concerns as oil tanks did?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I’d love to build an off the grid solar+LPG cabin. I feel like we’re almost in the realm of it being practical, it’s just battery storage that kills it. Power walls are loving expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

Employer gave us all $0 paychecks because they haven't been doing our taxes right
Colorado

When I got to work yesterday I was surprised by a $0 paycheck. Apparently our taxes haven't been done right since 2015. They were just audited. Here's the note that was attached https://imgur.com/a/yNjT4jm and my lovely paycheck https://imgur.com/a/f1Ra4jc . This only affected the servers. This is only my part time job, so I'm out about $100. Some of the servers though had worked over time and had $500+ checks that were zeroed. We were given no notice, and were informed that the people who had worked the most hours this year would miss another check. Is this legal? Can we do anything about this?

Edited: add location Edited to add: We give our manager a sheet after each shift showing exactly how much in tips we made. They do the claiming for us. I talked to one of the owners, she was unaware that claiming 8% of sales was wrong and that she's been doing that for 30 years. It looks like this whole thing isn't illegal, just really lovely timing and poorly executed

Merry Christmas!

Why did you repost this from reddit?