Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Jaxyon posted:

Any helpful suggestions on washer/dryer purchasing?

Holy gently caress are they expensive, even basic ones. I guess try and anticipate Memorial Day sales and buy from a place that does price-match?

Hey I came to this thread for the same advice. I don't want to buy used ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Take the pole and dish off the shoe that's bolted to your roof. Leave the shoe. That's what I did...you can't really tell it's there.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Enfys posted:

Why would you have a mannequin on a lawn mower in your backyard? :psyduck:

This sounds like a win for HOAs to me.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I had a 2nd floor shower drain pan leak onto the ceiling below and it was like $300 to have someone fix the leak and the ceiling. The same house had a roof leak and it was only $600 to get fixed.

Based on this thread they each should have cost 10s of thousands of dollars in mold remediation and cleanup. Get some real quotes.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Sunshine89 posted:

I have a big field ant mound in my backyard, and nothing I do seems to get rid of it. They laughed at the ant spikes I placed around it. The mound is too deep for the expanding foam insecticides to reach the queen. Bombing it with Borax just killed the grass.

Do I call an exterminator, or are there some DIY solutions?

I use this stuff: http://www.bengal.com/fire_ants_product.html

It's worked on every type of ant so far. Not sure if it's available in Canada but it's worth trying to find.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Wait, if you're planning on renting out the upstairs doesn't that make it a 2 family home or are you trying to cheat on taxes?

edit: I use the term 'cheat' loosely. I moved out of my house, rented it, and a year later, moved back in. During the rental time, I lost the homestead exemption. My taxes went up some ridiculous number. I went to the county tax office and the lady just had me sign a form saying it was a non rental vacation property, and the taxes went back down to homestead exemption rate. Just tell them what you're trying to accomplish and most likely they'll help you out and it will take like 15 minutes.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 16, 2018

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Riller posted:

Just flip the stones over? Not sure how large those are or how many you'd have to do, but that seems like the easiest and cheapest solution.

:lol: Come on, this is the homeownership thread. Everything has to be as complicated and terrible as possible.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

H110Hawk posted:

Walk your sprinkler zones periodically. :saddowns:

I never used my sprinkler system but I would run it every couple of months in test mode for that very reason.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Maybe look at some landscaping fabric?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

gvibes posted:

Blew the blowers in both AC units. $3200. So it begins.

According to the HVAC guy, the thermostats of my neighbor's house literally blew off the walls.

Who do you call when something like this happens? Your insurance company and make them deal with ATT? Or your power company? Or do you just have to bite the bullet and hope ATT reimburses you?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Our builder is putting a Zephyr insert into our custom hood, they have under cabinet models as well. I would check with local appliance and kitchen appliance dealers in your area. They'll have better options than the big box stores.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Cheesus posted:

While I'd rather get something (and pay somewhat more for it) that lasts

Cheesus posted:

I'm worried this is significant $$$$ compared to what I'm seeing on Costco.com for range hoods.

:thunk:

Which one is it?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Cheesus posted:

Since I wrote the first quote and Mandalay wrote the second, the first one. :smugdog:

Oh, oops. phonemogged

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
What's the general consensus on refrigerators? Looking at online reviews, every refrigerator is terrible. LG and Samsung seem to be popular among review sites but the actual owners don't like them. I am looking to spend 2-3k and don't want a side by side.

edit: For what it's worth, our builder is putting in a KitchenAid oven, dishwasher, and microwave. I have read middling reviews on that brand but again, all the customer reviews for every brand seem to be terrible.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 8, 2018

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

z0331 posted:

I bought my first-ever leafblower over the weekend and it is awesome.

Easily two hours of raking done in about 30 minutes.

Mulching mower with a bag is even faster.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Etrips posted:

So been having the absolute hardest time trying to get a fence (2,500ft linear) put up because no one can seem to commit. Is putting up fencing something that contractors hate to do?

I'm putting in a fence too... It's only 325 linear feet and it's averaging $6k. I don't even want to think about how much 2500 linear feet costs. It's possible you're scaring them off.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Jealous Cow posted:

What type of fence? I just paid $4400 for 172’ of 6’ wooden privacy fence.

I have another 400 feet to do with 4 foot faux rod iron which will be around $15k.

6' shadowbox due to HOA requirements. If it was regular privacy it would be a lot cheaper. :(

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I was on a Facebook group for my town called "What's Happening in (town name)". There were a lot of home improvement companies and associated recommendations I could search through to find what I needed. Or use the Nextdoor app and ask for a referral.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
For that size I would go battery powered electric, imho.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
It’s not a brand thing though? Every ceiling fan I’ve ever installed has had a ball and a hanger.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Jealous Cow posted:

It’ll appraise.

But I think the real issue here is that the family from CA has no experience with 100 year old homes, and the other couple is local, older, and very familiar with the old homes of NE Ohio.

The first buyer sent me an escalation clause when they heard about the second offer. I don’t really care about squeezing another 5% out of the house, I just want the process to be as low drama as possible.

I mean, you're trying to sell a house. You don't get any of the down payment money at closing so what does it matter how much somebody puts down? I would take the buyers with less inspections in a heartbeat. It's less out of pocket that you have to pay (maximizing your profit) and the deal will be less likely to be torpedoed by something a multitude of inspections would discover. I can guarantee you that the California couple would use the inspections against you to get a lower price.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

BROTHER

Same boat here. I was about to throw in the towel and just pay TruGreen $1,000 a year to keep it pristine, but I'd rather save money and do some learning

I'm helping my father in law out by producing some internet videos for his garden and feed store. So far we've done clips on lawn fungus, moles, grubs & mole crickets and azalea problems. Most garden centers stock the same stuff he carries. Obviously a majority of lawn and garden problems are regional (we're in the Southeast, if you notice the accent) but he's been in business for 30+ years and is pretty knowledgeable about most yard and plant things.

Our Youtube playlist...maybe some of these will be useful to you guys.

Also a fun fact, in the first video about lawn fungus we're using my yard as the example. :smith:

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

StormDrain posted:

Yeah I hate how they look and I'd pull all but the mounting bracket. I think it'll just leave a short base.

If you ever “cut the cord” you can use the base to hold an antenna and reuse the coax.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

We had our refrigerator break a few days ago. Guy came out to diagnose/fix it. It ended up being $390+labor for a new inverter board, which I later found for $150 online. Is that a reasonable markup for an at home repair?

What are you going to do? Have him come take it out?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
You already paid him and he replaced the part, what does looking for cheaper alternatives solve? Just don't use them again and move on

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Why would you buy a house that’s already too small for you? Remodeling is a huge pain in the rear end, especially if you’ve never done it before.

Are there not any 4 bedroom houses available in your market/price range?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
We have “fantasy brown” granite in our kitchen and it may be what you want?

Our slab has less veining and mostly looks like quartz.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
When you refinance do you have to jump through all the same hoops as when you originally get a mortgage or is it just a matter of signing forms and paying the bank their money?

edit: i've owned 3 houses and never really had a reason to refiance until now. Got my mortgage in December 2018 and it's a 4.875/30 year

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

LloydDobler posted:

I kinda feel bad for the next owner, the water heater, furnace, and windows are all past end of life. But they work so gently caress it.

It's me, I'm the next owner. Also on our house we need to replace the roof in 5 years. Womp womp

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
What am I going to do with all these phone jacks in my bathrooms

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

joepinetree posted:

Pretty much the same. About 76/ 77. I turned on the AC for an hour or so and the RH dropped from 72% to 63%. Now it is back at 69%. It is well sealed to the outside, but it is a condo. 72% humidity outside right now, but for most of the last week it was between 80-100% (which translated to 65-80 indoors). Looking it up online tells me that the average relative humidity for this area is low 50%.
Yeah that's your problem. An AC is a whole house dehumidifier if it's actively cooling. I live in the swampy Southeast and I can't imagine leaving my thermostat that high in the summer but I know it's a regional thing. I didn't have AC when I lived in San Diego but humidity was rarely a problem there.

edit: when I was in South Florida, the apartment office had to send notices out because people were just opening the windows instead of leaving the AC running in the winter time. Temperature was fine but the dampness was causing apartments to grow mold.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 29, 2020

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
You can rent the same industrial sized fans and dehumidifiers from Home Depot. It'll be like a tenth of the price of hiring people.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
My basement fridge doesn't seem to be cooling anymore. It's from 1997 and it worked totally fine when we moved in 2 months ago. It seems like the freon evaporated...it was a steady decline in cooling over a few weeks. It sounds like the compressor is working since it's running all the time. Also, wasn't there a DIY forum?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Speaking of HVAC I got quoted $~15k to replace 2 gas furnaces and 2 AC units. That seems pretty reasonable for higher end Lennox stuff, right? 15k is the middle of the road option with variable speed furnace/air handlers and and single stage 2.5/3 ton outdoor units. The price for dual stage A/C 3 ton units was $~19k, furnaces will be the same. Just the furnaces/air handlers would be $~7500. I'm at a crossroads here.

My furnaces are originally from 1996 (when the house was built) and I knew I was going to have to replace them but the tech looked at them today and they're a lot worse than I thought. The AC units outside were replaced in 04 and 06 but I feel like it's probably better just to bend over and get it all done now. Is a single stage AC fine for an Atlanta climate? Does dual stage even matter? From what I could infer from the sales guy the main benefit is having a variable speed air handler since it can ramp up and down with demand. If the cooling capacity is fixed it will still work fine, the dual stage cooling is a "nice to have".

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Last week I had a plumber fix a leak at our water meter. Today I discovered a babbling brook at the service entrance to our house. Kill me.

Also this is what led to me discovering the babbling brook:

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Update: Turned the water off last night and went out there this morning to dig around the foundation where the water comes in. Turned the water back on to get an idea of how bad it was and a 6 ft jet stream of water is coming out. Awesome.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I got a letter from my HOA (addressed to the previous owner) saying that they didn't pay the 2020 HOA dues. They were due in March. We moved in early-August, part of the purchase agreement is that the sellers are supposed to pay everything so the new owners are free and clear until the following year. Based on that, we didn't escrow a partial payment for the rest of the year. I was going to reach out to my HOA but I didn't want to draw attention to it if I didn't have to.

The fact the HOA is still addressing things to the PO tells me that the HOA doesn't even know I moved in. What's my course of action here? It's not an oppressive HOA or anything based on what I've gathered and the neighborhood is old.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Ghostnuke posted:

It's still totally worth hooking up the water to your fridge you nerds

no. something could happen one day

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
if it’s a lease (or financed) it has to have full insurance coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
It looks like they just put the new tile on top of the linoleum?