Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Potato Salad posted:

I don't understand superpaint. I seem to always see trouble spots, bad adhesion, and durability problems when family uses it. Yeah, I shell out for premium Behr paint but one coat and my walls are nearly bulletproof. Am I doing or seeing something wrong?

That's surface prep. You could have the greatest paint on the planet, but it won't stick if the surface isn't free of contaminants.

I like painting (10%). I loathe paint prep (90%)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I use MAB

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Tiny Timbs posted:

They also had a mounted black goat head which they insisted they were not allowed to sell me because it would be illegal

That reminds me of when my son worked at Goodwill. Amongst the things that people would drop off were swords & other edged / stabbing weapons.

They were not permitted to sell them or put them in a dumpster. There was a growing collection locked in a back room.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Jesse Ventura posted:

There has been some tangential discussion of this in the last 10 pages (specifically: rates affected by California wildfire zones), but I have a question for the thread: has anyone outside fire/flood areas seen their homeowners insurance go way up? I live in Salt Lake City and my rate went up 43% this year. Several (but not all) of my friends in the area report getting similar increases.

The insurance payment is in escrow and our mortgage broker says that somehow we are still getting the best deal available for our coverage. The insurance company basically told me tough titties. Is this a regional or widespread phenomenon?

Every single policy I’ve reviewed with a new claim for property claims here in New Jersey contains a .PDF of a letter to the policyholder notifying them that their premium will be increased between 7-35% soon.

I’m insured by my employer (i.e. same company) and I got that letter last month.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ja you have to be persistent. If calling isn't shifting them, email them: that leaves a paper trail that they would be wise not to ignore.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

QuarkJets posted:

Our house came with 2 huge rolls of carpet in the garage, matching the kind of carpet that's basically all throughout the rest of the house. I don't know how old they are but they're in great shape

... is there any reason to keep these around? I was thinking of cutting into one of them to make some throw rugs or something and then maybe donating the other, reclaiming that corner of our garage in the process.

Carpet the garage floor. Why not?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I got tired of slow delivery (especially shower shock when the toilet was flushed) & re-piped from the main to the water heater with 3/4" copper.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Think you’ll need a new slab poured there. The swayback will crack if levelling is attempted and you already have displaced breaks.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

It took me 25-years to sort my “Neverhood” house.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

nwin posted:

Uh, this is behind some bedroom trim.

Looks like these things are long dead, but wtf is it?

Mud daubers.

Go outside, get down under the window, and look up. Guarantee you have a gap there.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

nwin posted:

Think the crack in the window siding might be the culprit?

Absolutely; that’s the front door. Caulk it up.

And that window gap downstairs is fine; I’d pack it with insulation before putting the stool back up.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I hate expanding spray foam. I would pack in batt insulation.

That having been said: this is precisely what it’s designed for. If you use it, sound the depth with the applicator tube and spray from as far in as you can get. Make one steady pass, then wait at least five minutes by the clock to see how far out it comes.

Have a can of acetone & disposable rags ready. Wear clothes you’re comfortable with losing forever, and latex gloves - at least two pairs - one over the other so you can whip off a fouled pair in a hurry.

Suiting up like this virtually guarantees that you will have a problem- and fouling- free application.

If you get a good fill, then wait until it cures to razor off any bulges.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

phosdex posted:

I got 2 telephone wires hanging what feels like fairly low across my backyard. Phone is CenturyLink up here, if I'm not a customer will they come out and remove these lines?

Time to cut it all out and

Dispose of it

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Reminds me: have to head over to my son’s house with an appropriate ladder to remove three dish-TV antennas (& a snarl of coax) from the pent roof over the dining room

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Motronic posted:

Homeownership.jpg:

Yes, the windshield is completely shattered/spidered up. No, I can't tell how/why. It's been sitting outside of the barn right there unused for at least 3 days. I have no idea when that happened.

Guess I'm about to find out what my insurance deductible is on that thing.

Sounds like it had a chip somewhere & temperature changes did their thing.

Or a wayward bird hit is in juuuust the right (wrong) spot

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Motronic posted:

Definitely not any possibility of BB ricochet, it's just too far away from anyone/anything else that could cause that. It's been in the 80s which is a lot wamer than it has been, but nothing out of the ordinary.

I assume it has to be something like that. It looks like it comes from one spot on the side radiating out:

...but there is nothing of consequence there that I can see.

Oh, that's right at the left edge, and radiating from a single point.

Guessing that either the edge was chipped at some point between manufacture and install, or something hard got wedged in there.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

GlyphGryph posted:

I specifically mentioned the manual, so yes. It definitely doesn't work the way the manual says, though...

Unless it glitches (three times in the past year) I do not have to do that.

This is how I operate the Bosch 800:

https://i.imgur.com/ewA6AzR.mp4

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Motronic posted:

Oh, the dissonant "YOU HAVE DONE IT INCORRECTLY AND WILL BE PUNISHED" dissonate tone? Yeah, that's what happens when you close it when on and "clean" or any time after it's been clean but still "on". It's really excessive. You can just turn it off and that will stop happening.

There's probably a menu item to turn that off somewhere. I should look for it.

<sigh> it's that time of year again!

Intensive drying
The final rinse uses a higher temperature which improves the drying result. The cycle time may increase slightly. (Caution if utensils are delicate!) This feature has two settings:
1. Open the door.
2. Press the On/Off button (1).
3. Hold down function key A and press Start button (6) until the display (3) indicates d:x (x can be any number).
4. Release both buttons.
5. Press function key A until the display (3) indicates the factory set value d:00
6. Press function key C to switch the Extra dry feature on d:01 or off d:00
7. Press Start button (6) to save setting.

The wash cycle has ended when the display (3) reads 0:00. If the signal tone has been set, the wash cycle end is also indicated by a buzzer.
To change the signal volume:
1. Open the door.
2. Press the On/Off button (1)
3. Hold down function key A and press Start button (6) until the display (3) indicates d:0x (x can be any number). Release both buttons.
4. Press function key A until the display shows b:02.
5. Press function key C. Each time the button is pressed the set value increases by one level; when it reaches the value b:03, the display jumps back to b:00 (off).
6. Press Start button (6) to save the setting.

TimeLight® (Optical display while the wash cycle is running) While wash cycle is running, an optical display (time remaining alternating with cycle indicator images) is projected onto the floor under the appliance door. You can switch the optical display on (5:01)‚ or off (5:00).
To change the setting:
1. Open the door.
2. Press On/Off button (1)
3. Hold down function key A and press Start button (6) until the display (3) shows H:0x or d:0x (x can be any number).
4. Release both buttons. The light above function key A flashes and the display (3) shows the factory set value.
5. Press function key A until the display (3) shows the factory set value 5:01.
6. Press function key C to switch between 5:00 and 5:01.
7. Press Start button (6) to save setting.

For unknown reasons, mine does not, sadly, have the TimeLight setting. You bet your rear end I tried to set it up.

GlyphGryph posted:

It might just actually be broken, but when it works mine is just press button and close, even though its a different model. The problem is that there seem to be a lot of ways to get it into a state where it is no longer like that. Someone bumps it while its open, or opens it seconds after it started, or accidentally presses the button twice, and even turning it off and on again wont reliably get it back into that state, I gotta do the process I listed and then it will work again until it doesnt, sometimes. And sometimes pressing the button and closing it doesnt do anything at all even if it otherwise seems to be in the right state.

More likely its not broken and I just dont understand it and am unknowingly doing something wrong, like I said I'll spend some time trying to figure it out eventually.

It's possible that yours is defective.

As noted, ours bricked within a day of install, which put an extremely large chip on my shoulder as the "cry" part (i.e. how much I paid for it) was still firmly in mind, blinking neonish-ly). I did the system reset, and it was fine for about 2-weeks. Repeat.

It did it once more after about a month - but hasn't done it since. I was ready to yank it out & demand another, but the shoulder chip has since withered away.

I set the auto-power off function, and it held that...then my wife stated it was staying powered up after it was done. I wouldn't give a poo poo, but if it's bumped & the door latches, it tones. That got old. I'm with Motronic on that one

Apparently it did that a few times, and has since reverted to powering off when it's finished. Tempermental little minx.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 7, 2024