Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
My wife keeps nagging me to replace our river rock with mulch and I always tell her no. She almost wore me down. Thanks to this thread for reinvigorating me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

QuarkJets posted:

For the ceiling, do you have an attic or any sort of space above the rooms you care about that you can reach? That's probably the safest bet.
depending on when the home was constructed, you could also probably remove a light fixture.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
If it has a basement, the 2k figure might not include a basement, finished or not. I had a friend who moved to texas from illinois and he was having trouble figuring out why the homes there were listed as larger than his illinois house, but seemed smaller. Well, pretty much every house in illinois has an extra 40-50% in unlisted finished square feet if you have a finished basement.

edit: my house in illinois with 2500 above grade finished square feet and 1100 below grade finished square feet was valued at $190k last year. I live in a nicer, but not extraordinary neighborhood and just have a builder grade finishes for the most part.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Economic Sinkhole posted:

If you figure it out please tell me. I am trying to get estimates for a new roof, likely $10,000+. I've called 5 places and so far only ONE has followed through with a bid.
That's crazy. 2 years ago I had a leaky chimney cap so I called up a random roofer and they had two guys out to look at it in about an hour. They gave me an estimate of $400 to replace it outright, and had it done same day. Then, they even called me after the next rain to make sure all was well. Summary: I live in a smaller city and people are nice and friendly here.

edit: maybe they just caulked it and were making sure the caulk held. If so, it's held for 2 years, so good job to them.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Oil! posted:

You know, aside from the entire unattended fire thing.
:rolleyes: a grill isn't an uncontrolled flame. However, while you point was dumb, I don't leave my grill unattended for long because a grease fire can develop in seconds and ruin your meat. I live in illinois, where the seasons are just suggestions for hte time of year you will experience extreme weather and if I had the scratch for it I would install a patio TV. A 40" LCD is only like $300 these days and a waterproof enclosure will only add a few hundred and never need to be replaced.