Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Poldarn posted:

Hold up, you're saying that a rental agent will replace my windows and falling-down garage? I'm pretty sure you have to pay for repairs to the house that you own, even if you rent it out through an agency.

No, I meant if you were selling it. Once you've made that decision, you basically don't have to do a thing. Agents are desperate for listings and will absorb almost all costs to make the place nice for selling at max price.

If you want to be a landlord... That's different, it helps to be a handyman. Or you find one that you pay. And you do the updates before tenants move in because it's a pita to increase rents to pay for renovations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Maybe use those grass driveway reinforcement grids? Something like: https://www.greendriveway.com/products/gd-grass/tech-specs/ (there's lots out there of similar types)

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Tristesse posted:

I got some windows replaced last year and can answer this- It depends on what you need to have done. the company I worked with would have replaced the sill and trim and frame and etc if they needed to at an extra cost. We didn't need it so we had just the windows and a sliding door replaced. 4 windows and a door were all done in one day by a 2 man crew and they basically just went one by one popping out the existing windows and popping the new ones in. I didn't watch every window closely but I'm pretty sure they kept most of the original flashing and casing in place.

Before this was done they came over several times and inspected the sills/ frames/ etc to be sure additional work or materials weren't needed and to double check all measurements.

In one day I went from lovely windows that had a breeze going through them to great windows that keep the house toasty warm in winter. A+ would pay to have someone put in new windows again.

Edit: The only thing I had to do was take down any curtains, blinds, or anything on the walls within 6 inches of the windows on install day.

Basically the same for me - they removed the old flashing, swapped the window, foamed the gaps and installed new flashing on the outside (and caulked the edges). ~30min a piece with 2 guys. Looks much nicer.

The door was "brick-to-brick", so they ripped out the old door, then cut out the wood framing and rebuilt that completely, then hung the door, installed the lock and handle (fyi, new doors don't come with one!), and replaced the flashing. Nice to have a door that closes properly.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

That's a beer and friends problem. I used to live in an 3rd floor apartment with the same type of issue - we had to lift the sofa 2 stories up to a balcony using ropes/straps. 3 guys, 2 provided the main lifting strength and the 3rd guided it along. Other people watched for potential comedy action but was rather anticlimactic.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

spf3million posted:

New main line coming along nicely as of this morning

They're just about done with laying the pipe, should be back in business by this evening.

But did they find the leak in the pipe? If not, maybe the leak is still there... :ohdear:

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Perfect thread title

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

While I'm in a large metropolis, precovid I found a furniture store that was literally just a front for a Chinese manufacturer. All you needed was the dimensions and a picture of what you wanted material/looks and they'd make it from scratch and have it delivered in 2 months (ie: normal delivery times) for like half the price of anyone else.

It showed me that the markup on furniture was bonkers. Also interior designers also can get big discounts/kickbacks too from places.

Granted that place is gone now, but it was very tempting to get everything customized for my place at the time.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Cell towers are incredibly directional, so you can be within visual/line of site and still have lovely service. Literally they can be setup to aim along a highway thats running nearby.

Also, that tower might not be your cell provider or even more annoying, might not be using the frequencies your booster is designed for.

Edit: https://cellmapper.net - crowd sourced tower details.

unknown fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 14, 2023

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Had one replaced recently (last year) at the MIL house, and while chatting with the repair guy, he said that the biggest issue is getting the replacement parts - many are just not made anymore. Replacing them isn't hard, since you are not playing with the gas lines themselves.

The "we gotta clean it first" is probably a case that too many people just call for repair and it's impossible to work on it without cleaning it (or a clean fixes the problem).

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Well, considering that raking is something that only has started in the past century or so, I'm sure that mother nature will survive just fine if you don't.

That being said, how nice do you like your lawn to be? It's purely a cosmetic thing to rake. Pinecones can be a pain if you have kids (especially if they throw them)

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Quick stupid question:

My wife convinced my a few years ago to get a water filteration system in our house. At the time I was told the maintenance and filter change would be every two years. Just called the company that installed it and they say the filter needs replacing every six months and the parts and labor to do so are $530. This seems like I'm getting ripped off. If this is something I can do myself easily I will but I'm really not sure if that is feasible.

edit: more of a rephrase, is the $500/2x a year common and expected or is this just an upsell that's not really necessary?

Need to know the system in question - some are long time, some are shorter, some you can get parts yourself, and others you can't.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Yeah, 120f is what my hwt guy said to leave our system at, I was complaining and he said if that's not hot enough, I probably have an issue at the shower tap. (he was right, Moen cartridge was shot).

Edit, I've got a tankless system, 170f in your tank seems way high and is then mixed down? Almost sounds like they're compensating for a undersized tank.

unknown fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 22, 2023

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

This might not help you but that’s why my dad put me on the lockboxes so I can still access them.

Careful - you might have access rights, but those can disappear when the account holder does (ie: dies). Banks are overly cautious (ie: go into lockdown mode) when someone dies to stop a relative from draining the accounts before the court approved executor has taken over.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

:shrug:

Honestly I didn’t look into it but he claimed he did and it wouldn’t be a problem but I can see what you are saying. I think he also added me to the accounts as well but who knows because his financial stuff is a drat mess that only he understands.

It’s just he and I thought so that might make things easier to some extent?

Joint/Dual bank account holders are a different thing - those don't get locked (one the dead person's access does) because legally the other holder is allowed to access it (as it's also technically theirs as well).

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Probably get broken too easily.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Lithium grease spray works wonders on metal to metal contact stuff (like hinges)

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

The issue with bricks is the environment they are in and whether they are susceptible to spalling - which primarily happens in areas of hot/cold. The moisture gets into the brick and then freezes causing damage to the brick.

With paint, that stops the breathable nature of the bricks (or reduces it considerably) and they can't dry out before those cold temps.

That's the 5sec phone posting answer.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

A big thing people have forgotten is that the internal/house side of the brick can have moisture barriers installed when a contractor put up the internal drywalls and insulation - reducing the breathablity even further!

Plaster/lathe with newspaper insulation didn't have that issue.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

The window trim?

When I had my windows replaced, the installers did all that metal bending work/installation on site and literally took them like 15min to do each window. So if it's just one, it might be a bit of a challenge to find someone to come out for a quickie. (maybe phrase it that way for better odds of them showing up?)

Or find a neighbor who's getting theirs done and offer the guy some cash since they're in the area.

Edit: It might be more than just replacing the single lower trim - mine at least are overlapping at the edges (think like shingles). But my comment about time still stands - they did all 4 edges in the 15min.

Edit2: vvv-- yeah, flashing is the proper name

unknown fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 14, 2024

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

If you want info on foam and foam related stuff (ie: cushions and mattresses) - this website (also designed in year 2000) for a foam manufacturer near Toronto is actually loaded with info, just badly presented so you might have to look around a bit.

https://www.foamite.com/foam-grades/
https://www.foamite.com/custom-cut-foam/foam-pricing/

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Think mint is bad? Try horseradish. It's like mint with serious roots. Delicious roots, but you'll never get them all once in the ground.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

quote:

I realized today that when I said "raised bed", the septic engineer was thinking of the kind that are a bunch of 2x4s full of dirt. I'm hoping that when I explain I meant tabletop systems on a drip feed, the answer may be different. In any case, I'm thinking of things to do with deck gardens, using the tiny spaces in the front yard, and so on.

Also check to see if a self wicking raised bed is okay. (eg: https://deepgreenpermaculture.com/2016/04/03/wicking-bed-construction-2/) as they utilize a non-permeable layer between the ground and the bed and the overflow pipe can be sent where ever that's okay. Weight limit might be your issue though.

unknown fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 14, 2024

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

quote:

... Should we buy the vanity ourselves and hire someone for the floor and the tub...

Know the cost of all the parts you want - sometimes the contractor will have hook ups or get extra (volume) discounts, so it's better to source through them - also becomes their problem if there's a mistake. But you need to know what they normally cost first as a baseline.

The contractors that ask you to buy the parts are generally the worse ones and won't honour any warranty if you can find them - they can't buy them because their credit is that bad or other shady reasons*

* that being said, I dealt with a crew that did exactly that and they were great and in/out as fast as they could so they could get to their next job. They just wanted you to buy the parts and have it there for them to come in and install them.

unknown fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 26, 2024

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Insurance companies have been paying out huge sums over the past few years (directly and/or indirectly through reinsurance) for natural disaster level stuff and now they're raising rates everywhere to make back that lost money.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

illcendiary posted:

Legitimate question: what’s the right course of action if a contractor does lovely work, you contact them and ask them for rework, and they blow you off/tell you to kick rocks? Sue them?

I’ve been lucky to have mostly positive experiences with contractors so far, just want to know what steps to take if it ever comes to that.

Assuming you have a real contract... Work to be done/payments/etc...

Paper trail, paper trail, paper trail. Assuming that it gets to the courts, the courts want to see a paper trail that issues are documented and what the resolutions are. If your contractor doesn't do email back to you (calls only) you need to summarize whatever conversations and email them with that. Create that paper trail.

Realistically, it's about making sure that there is incentive for the contractor to finish the job. There's a fine line of paying too much (there's not enough money left on the table to bother finishing) and not paying enough (they decide its not worth the effort).

As I've been told by various GCs, you basically make sure the final payment is their profit on the job. Ie: Ongoing raw costs/materials are covered,

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

If you love construction but too old to lug around the heavy materials - look into becoming a licensed building inspector, especially if you can get employed by your local government as a permit inspector.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

CarForumPoster posted:

lmao oh good an inspector who has never actually built anything, truly what the world needs more of

Eh, maybe in your zone it's crap, but there's a poo poo load of exams to pass here. (GC that's my neighbour is doing it now and grumbling on how much there's to do).

Almost prefer a well trained guy who doesn't think his learned shortcuts are ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

It's about how much of a beating can the chainsaw take since it's never in a good environment. And how much do you use it (eg, leaving it sitting for too long unused, etc) which leads to repairablity of it.

Generally you'll find the quality brands are sold at the small engine places (eg Stihl, Husqvarna) as those places will do repairs/tune-ups on them. Nothing like forgetting to put stabilizer in it and parking the saw on the shelf for a season.

It also worthwhile to get a chain sharpener for the unit at the same time. Sharp chains cut better.

Oh, many chainsaws (aka small engines) run better with non-ethanol blended gas, so keep that in mind.