Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Hadlock posted:

What's the magic incantation for an LG dryer to do ""1970s style bone dry clothes" instead of "EPA tree hugger damp but mostly dry"? (we're on nuclear power here)

You mean planting flowers is an excuse to buy power tools now? This is an underrated perk of flowers I was not aware of

I have an LG and it definitely leaves clothes still damp even though the vent is clear and clean. I think the moisture sensor is too sensitive and shuts off the cycle early.

We usually just let it go, then clean whatever lint off the filter, and then set a second cycle for timed dry for another 20 on medium to finish. That's usually ends up with less overkill than just starting with timed dry and guessing.

esquilax fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Unrelated to dryer chat our master bedroom door had squeaky hinges for years. I decided to regrease them today and now they are silent and it is incredibly weird.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

nwin posted:

My dryer duct is completely clean and I have the same issues he mentioned with my new LG dryer. The moisture sensors and everything just kind of suck on the new units.

I'm thinking that excess dust can hurt the functioning of the moisture sensor (it probably measures air resistance) but since my manual doesn't say what the moisture sensor looks like or where it is to wipe it down - and I'm not going to do exploratory surgery on my gas appliances - it may as well just be a crappy sensor from the factory.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

It might be my midwest brain talking but I would want the "ugly" side facing my house to have official status as the better neighbor

And if its truly on the property line I would ask to contribute cash. I think in a lot of places you are required to share responsibility

esquilax fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 21, 2023

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

OK, we're on the same page then. Good to know that my instinct was right that having them enclose a part of my property could cause problems.

Keeping all that in mind, I feel like I should ask about our garages as well. They're less than 4 feet apart, and who knows where exactly the property line between them is. But regardless, the space is so narrow that building a fence on the line would effectively prevent both of us from even moving through there in any way. So, a picture:

First of all, yes our lots our pretty weird. I'm the house/garage with the black roof, which is a corner lot. The front street is just clipped off to the left of the picture, and the cross street is at the bottom of the picture. Their lot wraps around mine, with their house and garage having the biege/tan roof. For reference/curiosity, the circled yellow part is where the original fence question is happening.

The green line is where we'd both like there to be a locked gate between our garages, that we would share access to. The blue line is their door into their garage. The red line is where we could safely build a gate that doesn't enclose any of my property in their fence. However we've found people sleeping or doing drugs in that space between the red and green line, so both we really want that part blocked off. And I suspect that if we put up a gate at the red line, people would be more likely to hang out there, as it would then be a dead-end rather than a through route from the street to the parking lots above and to the right of the picture. I don't use that space for any regular access, I would only need it for maintenance to my garage. Also the back of my garage would be the barrier for most of that side of the property, as putting a fence up with 6-12 inches of space between the fence and my garage would be insane, and it's a pretty common feature in the city to have garages built up to the lot-line and comprise part of a "fence".

If it were me I'd want shared gates on both the red and green lines.

But you really need to have a survey, just to know where the property line actually is. If you don't actually know where the property line is beyond "that's what they said" you don't actually know your fence is a shared fence, among other things. In my area a lot of fencing contractors won't even start unless you have a plat of survey.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Hadlock posted:

CA state law limits how much insurance rates can go up per year

With 10%+ inflation since covid a lot of home owners are effectively paying below market rate for home insurance

Labor rates in America, and in California in particular, are rising way faster than state law would allow them to raise insurance rates, so they're doing a passive aggressive brinksmanship thing to force legislator's hand. Legislators are hesitant to look like they're giving insurance companies so they're not increasing the annual cap. As a result a lot of people who are insurance companies least profitable customers are getting dropped to maintain correct profit margins

Between Florida and California it sure looks like private insurance companies aren't going to be around in those states much longer, imo

It's not only a rate increase cap. In CA insurers are generally forbidden to use forward looking models to price wildfire coverage, so in the event that, say, wildfires are becoming more common due to the climate changing, they aren't able to take that into account.

Because so many insurers have left, there is ongoing discussion to allow insurers in CA to use catastrophe modeling the same way everyone else does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

The first time I used a hand pruning saw I was legitimately surprised at how fast it was. I wasn't counting but a 3" branch felt like it only took 4 strokes.