Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Highbrow Slick posted:

Bought a condo last September 2018 for 158k

This hurts me somehow. Is choosing to live in one of the nicest parts of the country a mistake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone know how to find a good air conditioner and installer for a townhouse condo in Los Angeles? My natural instinct is to go to Costco but I wanted to see if there’s anything better

Costco/Lennox in my area (Central Coast) is not the cheapest, but most of my quotes seemed very high. Ranging from $7000 for Airtemp 3 ton Seer 14 to $12000 for Trane 2.5 ton SEER 14. Costco Lennox fell in at $8000 (after costco rebates) for Seer 16 4ton. I called about 10 places, 7 answered or returned calls, 4 bid, 1 wasn't interested in the job, 1 wasn't available for bids and 1 I passed on but may still have come out for another bid. I'd probably go with the Trane install if I could get them down to $8000, otherwise it will probably be Costco/Lennox.

There is an HVAC thread in DIY https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3761260&pagenumber=38#lastpost

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Sundae posted:

I put out a refinance loan info request through Better (god, that was a mistake), and my current lender (Rocket Mortgage) reached out to me about running numbers on a refinance. They literally just tried to grab free money for nothing. I'm at 3.5% right now, and they came back offering 2.75%, for the low low price of $51K. They proposed a massive point buy-down from a starting interest rate of 4.25% (six loving points) as if that was going to convince me that it was worth it to save... $350 per month.

What went wrong with Better? I spent the 10 minutes needed to get a competitive quote on my refi on friday and they beat my local lender by ~$4k. 2.75% on both but Better was offering $2200 in credits and $1800 lower apples to apples closing costs. I'm at 3.75% now so either way I'll be knocking ~$300 off my P&I.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Tezer posted:

It's not a perfect way to judge, but installers will have a 'rating' from the manufacturer - I think it's based on completing training and sales volume, but I'm not 100% sure. Fujitsu i think calls it 'elite' and Mitsubishi calls it 'diamond' I think. So that's a good first pass to find a contractor if you have a particular brand in mind.

The part of the specification that gets glossed over the most often is cold weather performance. If you're just using it for cooling, don't worry about it. But, if you want supplemental winter heat, you'll want to understand how it performs down to whatever temperature you are worried about. I think the major manufacturers all make a cold weather model at this point, for example Mitsubishi calls it Hyper Heat. The efficiency of the unit is a little lower, but it performs better at lower temperatures.

Mistubishi recently signed some sort of deal with the devil (Trane) which seems like it might destroy their existing dealer network and presence in the US.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Hey guys, I have somewhat of an interior design question. Please let me know if there would be a better place to ask this. My wife and I have been thinking about renovating our kitchen, and we are in the "planning & budgeting" phase (a.k.a. we are sitting pretty waiting to see if the huge jump in contractor costs starts to drop off at some point). There is a home that showed up on Zillow that my wife looked at the photos of and mentioned that she really loves the kitchen aesthetic**. In the normal times I'd go to an open house so I could actually look closely at the materials and appliances they used to try to figure out what it all is, but we are unable to gain access to the home and I only have the pictures from Zillow to work with.

The pictures are below. I'm a complete novice when it comes to knowing the names of different materials or designs, so I'm not sure what to start looking up to figure out what to ask a potential contractor for when it comes time to renovate the kitchen. This bit me in the rear end awhile back when we had our master bath renovated since that was an emergency situation and we didn't have time to really sit and think about what we wanted. What kind of tile is that on the floor (and the backsplash?). What kind of material is that counter? What do I call that sink? What brand or design are those appliances? I know that this place was renovated recently, so that stuff can't be that old. I also love those doors, but I'm pretty sure I could just point to a picture and tell someone "those" and they'd be able to figure out what I wanted.

**My wife actually spent that last week trying to convince me to just buy this house since it has more than just a kitchen that she's in love with, and we could probably afford it, but talking to the realtors today gave me the most insane story, which I'll post shortly in the house buying thread. The summary is that this house cannot be purchased because the housing market is not even following any logic anymore in Riverside.

Queen Victorian posted:

To be brutally honest, the only thing I think is good about this kitchen in particular is the stove, which looks like a vintage O'Keefe & Merritt from the 40's or 50's (please get a vintage stove and let me live vicariously through you (my husband wants a modern one :mad:)).

Do not get a vintage stove. If you do get ready for all guest's first words in your house to be 'gas leak?'. They are inaccurate, they have six to ten pilot lights, the ovens are tiny, the stove top burners are amazing. No really those side by side ovens are tiny and you will hate it. Looking closely at the picture, the stove has a center griddle, which you will likely never use (they're a bitch to clean). There are six burner variants, at least from Wedgewood, which are far more useful. Try to figure out if the vintage look is what caught your eye, or the white enamel, or it not looking like every other mid range stainless steel six burner stove.

Besides that, if that style of kitchen is your thing go for it. In the particular example I noticed a bit of clash between the marble or synthetic stone countertop and the faux redbrick backsplash and hideous floor. Commit to one or the other, hideous faux brick, or hideous synthetic stone.

I think that's a farmhouse sink, very popular of late. Can be inconvenient for normal sized things, if you're not regularly dressing whole turkeys you may not need such a big single basin. I mean, at this point the need for a sink is minimal since the dishwasher cleans everything.

I'd recommend talking alot with your spouse about the parts you/they really like in those photos. Reference those things against design magazines, manufacturer websites, etc, until you can easily say "I want x, with y, in z color". Leave out anything you don't care about. Keep in mind those are shot with a very wide angle lens, that kitchen is not that big, and they've likely taken steps to minimize the presence of the normal black fridge, though I don't think that's a bad thing, it goes with the black cabinets.

edit: considered leaving a note on their door or writing them a letter asking who their contractor is? Just a few minutes of your time and maybe you'll get all the info you ever wanted.

edit2: just read your post in the home buying thread: lol

Aquila fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Apr 18, 2021

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

BigPaddy posted:

In other news was quoted $40k for a solar system with a battery that covers 100% of my expected usage. It is a lot but considering this is Phoenix and I will be running the AC all the time it should pay for it self several times over especially once I take the tax credits into account. Any thoughts?

I am shopping solar right now too and there appears to be no solar thread. $40k is going to be a large system, what are the specs? I have been quoted between $11k and $16.5k for 2.9-4.2kWh systems from various contractors. This is without storage. 8-12 panels, 295-370 Watt panels, string and micro inverters, I've run the gamut of options and can't decide if I want it at all. I'm on the California central coast, so my sunlight is good but not great. I have AC, but overall my usage is low, at least compared to Arizona. In California I'll have to go onto a net metering plan, but I do get grandfathered in to the current rate policies for 20 years from system turn on. Financing seems like a huge scam, look out for fine print.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

BigPaddy posted:

The prices are before any tax credits so the system with a battery would get me $10k back in federal this year as well as some AZ credits/exemptions. I am in APS and their export rate is 10.45 per KWH sent back to the grid. This is through Sunrun via Costco so I would get a 15% Costco card as well reducing the overall cost. I will get some more quotes and see what I get.

Edit: got some more stuff broken down:

With the Tesla battery it is $40k with the following rebates:

$10k federal tax credit
$2k Costco card
$1k AZ tax credit

Without a battery they want $27k with the following coming back:

$7k tax credit
$900 Costco card
$1k AZ tax credit

So in the end I pay 27k for the battery system and 18k without a battery.

For the 9k difference I am trying to figure out if the peace of mind is worth it.

Sunrun/Costco was the highest bid ($/kWh) I got and the panels selected seemed to be midrange at best. When I called them out on this their response was "we're the best, Costco, biggest, Costco, the panels are the best on the market, Costco, our roof penetration warranty is the best, Costco"

In California we have this useful site that lists recent solar installs by zipcode: https://www.californiadgstats.ca.gov/find_installer/ it helped me get a handle on expected range of $/kWh and find another installer who's active in the area to get a quote from.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Anyone have good recommendations to shop for bed frames? I want something that’s solid and nice, and not garbage sawdust wood. Sadly I have restrictions that make this hard.

California king
Must require assembly due to low stairwell ceiling height.
Needs a nice headboard
Preferably has storage but not really a huge requirement
Fabric bed frames make me want to puke.

Ideally somewhere I can pick something for under $2k.

I have the perfect thing for you, but it may be impossible to find. https://www.pacificmfg.com/platform-beds.html This brand has a bunch of nice hardwood bed frames in several styles for very reasonable prices. I got the Solstice Cal-King Size in the Cherry finish for about $1000 from a local furniture store. You can add storage for not too much more. The furniture store doesn't even list this brand on their website, so you'd probably have to call the manufacturer to find a local dealer (unless you're in SLO, then https://www.shoprandr.com/).

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Zarin posted:

*glances at thread title*

Speaking of tools . . . I've never owned a "proper" toolbox in my entire life. My first "toolbox" was this abomination of a hollow expanded plastic monstrosity that came with a few socket sets and an empty drawer for whatever else. It was a pain in the rear end to open and half the time the act of opening it caused the sockets to bounce out of their little holder slots. Just an absolute piece of poo poo, although my dad meant well when he got it for me.

Over the years I've acquired other socket sets, wrench sets, assortments of nuts/bolts/screws, etc.

Even though I live in an apartment at the moment, I'm thinking that I want a large rolling toolbox so that I can centralize all my tools and gadgets and stuff (My apartment has an elevator so moving it shouldn't be a terrible ordeal). However, the prices for such things appear to be all over the place. I don't want something that's so cheap (and cheaply made) as to be a poor value, but I also don't feel the need to spend $Snap-On money if there's something available that's 90% as good for half the price.

Basically, I'm interested in what brands and/or places to look for large rolling toolboxes that are a good quality:cost ratio; that is to say, A Good Value.

Apparently the Harbor Freight ones are fine. I have a Home Depot Husky one and I like ithttps://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3823532&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=26#post511384499 . Milwaukee are also fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

PageMaster posted:

This may be more of a business/finance question, but since it's home specific I figured I'd ask here.

We finally ready to move on to some big "wants" on our place after fixing everything that needed to be, and I'm trying to see what options are available to finance it that are actually not terrible ideas. Looking to do a ton of stuff like roof, solar, landscaping, exterior refinishing, etc that we'd like to get done this year. We have money to cover it, but would be pulling it out of mutual funds which are down this year and have tax implications, but could have cash next year. Part of getting it done now is just to finally be done with it after two years of living in the middle of renovations, but some are necessary to get ahead of NEM changes for solar plans. Do specific loan programs exist for something like this that aren't going to be predatory or grossly ripping us off (I'm thinking like your stereotypical used car loans)? Ideally I'm thinking we could get a loan for the amount, and instead of paying off over a 60 month term or whatever just pay it early over the next year. Is there a catch I'm missing? Could we just walk into any bank and ask for a loan?

Early last year I was considering solar due to the upcoming NEM changes, some of the installers offered financing, but it ended up being much more expensive then paying cash. I can only assume rates have gone up to make it worse right now. If you're really interested I can try to find some of the offers to see what the terms were.