Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

mastershakeman posted:

The best thing about deadbolts is its impossible to lock the door behind you on accident if you go out without keys.

However it is very possible for your 2 year old to lock you out when you go to take out the trash. Ask me how I know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

On the topic of water heaters, the water heater in the house I bought in April is in the attic. I had the owners replace the unit with a brand new one as a contingency, and they did, however there is still a constant low-grade terror in the back of my mind about 40 gallons of water dumping into my attic/ceiling/insulation.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

Vacuum chat: Shark is the way to go. My $150 shark is better than the $600 Dyson we got as a gift.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

VendaGoat posted:

Full disclosure, never tried shark, but once I upgraded to a Dyson, from some k-mart or walmart brand, I noticed a marked difference.

Shark vs Dyson I can not comment.

Bargain bin vs Dyson, Dyson wins every loving time.

Oh no question Dyson is a good vacuum and a $70 Bissel is a complete waste of $70, but it's not worth the money; It's not $450 better than the Shark, and in fact not at all in terms of cleaning - my Shark out performs it every time. The Dyson is easier to clean/take apart/replace brushes/etc., but it doesn't clean better.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

Got home from work yesterday, it was a balmy 88 degrees in the house. AC fan was blowing but the compressor was not turning on. Turned out it was a blown fuse, so it was a $14.00 fix, but now I get to worry that it's a hidden problem causing the fuse to blow and I'll have to get an HVAC guy out anyway.

big trivia FAIL fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 16, 2016

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

Economic Sinkhole posted:

At the beginning of the season our AC would turn on and then immediately trip the breaker. After some panic googling, I cleaned out the electric air filter and it has been running fine ever since. Now I've got "clean air filter" on my calendar every six months.

Is there an air filter on the handler?? I change the filters on the two wall things every other month.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

life is killing me posted:

This is basically true for me, all of this paragraph save the mold or rot.

Just found out today all the flashing on my standing seam metal roof was incorrectly installed and doesn't cover the area well enough anywhere the roof meets the outer walls of the house. Basically it's not going down far enough so water has free reign to splash right into any open seams. Roofer sent me FORTY loving PHOTOS AS EXAMPLES OF SHODDY WORKMANSHIP. He said the rest of the roof is great, just not the 30-40 areas where the roofers apparently were running late for their lunch break and said, "gently caress it, this is good enough right?" They used cheap plastic vents and overtorqued the screws so they are cracking and letting water in, they didn't bring corners together all the way, and there is plywood showing through huge gaps as I mentioned in an earlier post. There are numerous loving places water can get in, and probably IS getting in, and other places where we KNOW water is getting in.

The worst part about the flashing is, my house is loving STUCCO. So of course the flashing was put in and stuccoed over, and to replace it completely all around the house would mean tearing out that stucco, the color of which, when replaced, almost certainly won't match the color of the rest of it. That'd cost thousands. The estimate I just got is going to cost almost $5k, and that's with them jury-rigging new flashing over the old flashing to make it do its job, WITHOUT tearing out the existing stucco where the flashing is anchored.

AAAAND now I get to have that conversation with my wife, who is going to go, "Well, let's get other estimates, why does it have to cost that much, we're not paying that..." or "We're already over-expensed, let's just put it off..." or "Let's just do it and I'll stress out over the money we're spending and vent to you about it while you're at work..."

Everything else: Yard funneling water into my foundation? Check. Sod or grass plugs that didn't take? Check. 2 year-old tree in the front yard? Check.

It might not hurt to get other estimates, honestly. It's just that my wife insists on getting estimates on any and everything until we get one that's acceptable to what she THINKS something should cost, whether or not a thing actually should cost that amount. I keep telling her, "Some things just cost what they cost, and any estimate we get is going to be around that same amount minus a few hundred here or there. Getting a ton of estimates until we get some low-rent dude who will charge less won't work." It also is a way of putting things off while we hem and haw over the money we're about to spend. I think we need a compromise in place from now on: We get four estimates, and if they are all around the same amount, we choose the contractor we like the best. If they are all way different estimates, we're going to choose the one charging the second least amount of money out of the four. Or something. gently caress.

Death is certain and you can't take it with you. Spend the money to not live in a rotting hovel.

Edit: my uncle had half his roof shingles just...slide..off of his house one day. They weren't even nailed in lol

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

I need to replace the weather stripping under the doors that go out back. It looks (?) like I can literally just pull the old stuff out and put new stuff in, but none of the new stuff looks like the old stuff does where it meets the ground - it looks the same with how it (probably?) attaches to the door (just presses into these grooves); The old stuff has this loosely dry rotted rubber that my son pulled off on the bottom, whereas the new stuff is like stiff plastic.

So, my question is

a) can i just pull the old stuff out and put the new stuff in?
b) do I need to be concerned about the height (?) of it (ie, will it prevent the door from opening & closing easily?)

The doors are metal.

The new stuff I think I can use: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-E-O-1-3-4-in-x-36-in-Brown-PVC-Door-Bottom-Replacement-for-Stanley-Steel-Doors-UDS36/100566670

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

I've got natural gas run outside currently hooked up to a 20 year old post grill that doesn't work. I want to pull it out, put down pavers, and get a new grill. How do the Webers do with NG conversion (or do they make them direct NG without the conversion kit??) - I can't find coherent info on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

drat Bananas posted:

In my research I learned that Weber doesn't offer conversion kits because safety; they sell 2 versions of the same models for LP and NG.

Ahhhh ok. I'd rather have a true NG version than a conversion kit (same reason), anyway.