Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gregday
May 23, 2003

What's a reasonable rate for an electrician to charge to install a single additional receptacle to an upstairs room over a garage (where the circuit breaker panel is located)? There's only one upstairs room so it's adjacent to any attic space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gregday
May 23, 2003

Elephanthead posted:

There are at least 100 things that can make this impossible to answer. Let's start with one, is your house wired to current code standards? Anyway rate is location specific but my guys flat rate is $100 an hour. You would pay that times the hours it takes plus materials.

Yeah, house was built in 2010 and all to code. One local place quoted me $150 per hour plus materials, and estimated 2 hours.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Are those epoxy coat garage floors a waste? I'm painting my garage walls now (were unfinished drywall when we bought), and starting thinking about ways to make it nicer. The price isn't too bad, but anything I should watch out for?

gregday
May 23, 2003

devmd01 posted:

If you just have an attic access hatch instead of a drop down ladder, put in a cheap harbor freight winch right above it, makes getting the bigger stuff swapped out when seasons change a hell of a lot easier. A $99 winch and about $20 worth of metal/bolts from the hardware store has saved me a lot of effort.

Oh yeah. I just installed a retractable extension cord in my garage and it's already been tremendously useful. It makes me want to install an air compressor and ceiling mounted hose even though I would have very limited use for it. Overhead mounted stuff is just fun.

gregday
May 23, 2003

We're about to have our carpeted stairs rebuilt with natural hickory treads. My wife brought up the possibility that the natural grain lines on the treads may make it difficult to tell the steps apart when going downstairs and make it more dangerous. The entire staircase is enclosed on both sides with walls, so you wouldn't be able to see the side edges of each stair. I've never heard of this being a problem, but now I"m wondering. Anyone ever had this issue?

Not my photo, but an idea of what I'm talking about. I'm wondering how much of an issue this could be in reality, where you're actually looking at a physical staircase with depth perception.

gregday fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 8, 2018