Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

So is this thread going to be a little competition to see who has the best problem that they brought on themselves by buying a house? I think my recent one is pretty good: My house just got in a car accident.

I bought a house with a shared driveway. This is pretty clearly a bad idea, but there are a lot of them in this city and I couldn't afford better. These seemed like good enough reasons. I did imagine some potential problems that could come about from sharing property with a neighbor.

I did not imagine that one of them would be my neighbor backing his truck into my house. Twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

I have a fat neighbor who has a small lawn and a riding lawnmower and I have a hard time not chuckling to myself when I see him on it.

If you are healthy and your lawn only takes 40 minutes, save your money and get the exercise.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Skepticism of front-loader washers seems to be a North American thing, so I assume we're wrong, but the only experience I've had was a bad one. My old apartment came with a brand-new Frigidaire front-loader that promptly developed a mold problem in the gasket that no amount of bleach could fix. Replaced the gasket, was super careful about letting it dry out, same problem. The lesson there might be "buy a washer from a brand known for making washers," but also, look out for mold complaints.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

You can also get alarms that have a hush button that will shut them up for a few minutes while you cook. I have one with a hush button on a remote so that I don't have to get a chair or a broom handle every time it goes off.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Jealous Cow posted:

We've done a double houses with Benjamin Moore Regal Select and Aura (for the rooms where you'll see the walls up close) and really like them. So much nicer to use than crap from Home Depot or Lowes.

I heard good things about Benjamin Moore paint many times so I tried their stain on my deck this summer, and it is awful. It's been two months and the deck is covered in shoe prints and leaf prints that can't be washed off. I am going to have to strip it again and redo it next year. So much work down the drain.

I would pay almost any money for paint/stain if I knew for sure I could trust the product, but it seems like there are bad experiences with every brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Here's my hot tip for fridge-buying: If it has a door alarm, check out how annoying it is.

I have an LG fridge that really loves to beep. Its alarm can't be disabled, so when I clean the fridge I put a piece of tape over the sensor or put up with a soundtrack of one endless beep. It's very good at letting you know when you're taking too long looking for something or putting the groceries away, but didn't actually work the one time the door was slightly ajar and leaking -- I guess it wasn't open by enough.