Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

QuarkJets posted:

Grass yards are kind of the worst part about home ownership, so I say go for it.

And if you have any grass left then toss a raised garden bet on it (or don't and just rip the grass out if that's a good option) and then plant something that you can eat later

You could plant a potato mound, more home owners should have potato mounds. What's a potato mound, you ask? It's exactly what it sounds like.

I'm looking into converting one of my side yards from an overgrown patch of weeds and dog crap into a fenced off area for raised beds of vegetables. I shall now consider a potato mound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
I bought in February 2010. The wife and I put in a lot of sweat equity on the easier stuff, ripping up carpets, stripping wallpaper, painting.

When we bought our house we had to have the outlets grounded, and while the electricians were there we had them run a few new circuits for large appliances that were sharing one. We also had the linoleum ripped out of the kitching / dining area and replaced it with hardwoord that matched the rest of the house, and had them all refinished.

Since then we've replaced the fence around our house (old fence + dogs jumping on it), redone one of the bathrooms, and had LED lighting installed everywhere.

I don't have the numbers all totaled up, but my gut thinks it's been about $30k total.

I think I got a bit ripped off on the bathroom, which was $12k. It was a complete gut, the subfloors had water damage and not-totally-bad mold. Probably should have shopped around more, I only checked with 2 contractors. I still think it's the best thing I've ever done with money, in that the floor doesn't bow under me when I go to take a piss anymore.

I had these recurring daydreams (daymares?) of the floor giving out and shredding my legs as I fell through.