Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

My house has a half bath on the main level that has hardwood. All the other bathrooms have carpet. Two of them were tiled by the previous owners to sell the house, but one is still carpeted.

Looks like I'm going to learn to tile because the hardwood floor is turning colors and warping from years of the previous owner just pissing on the floor and never mopping it up while the other bathroom will need to be tiled because carpet in a bathroom is the stupidest thing in the loving world.

e: Also none of my outdoor outlets work and I can't figure out why. There's no GFCI outlet that's tripped, and all the breakers in the box are on. I even cycled them to be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

slap me silly posted:

Ugh, carpet in the water rooms. Why the gently caress do people do that?? I will never understand.

Every house in the area that was built 15-25 year ago has this. ALL OF THEM.

VendaGoat posted:

80 bags of mulch. 80 loving bags of mulch to fill in all the plant bullshit I have going on outside.

It took us 80 bags of mulch at our last house. It looked so much better when it was done though. Worth it.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

My HOA has a no detached buildings rule. They haven't approved a shed ever, despite people asking to put them up at almost every meeting.

So it looks like I'm going to build an attached shed on the side of the garage with access from the outside that I can put my mower and tools in, since that won't cost an arm and a god-damned leg like a third garage stall.

Now I've just got to figure out what I'm going to call it when I submit the request for approval.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Making your own screens isn't that hard.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

When I had my HVAC replaced I had bids that ranged from 4k to 27k.

Granted, the 4k was a system that wasn't going to work, because it wasn't large enough and he only priced it to show us what smaller houses were getting, but Jesus. We paid 7k for a zoned system that works well with a new furnace. The 27k was some dickhead who wanted to install two separate systems that were both larger than what we had, with top of the line fans and a bunch of other bullshit. He still calls me randomly and asks me if I still need work done.

We had a similar experience with carpet. Two bids came in at 5k and the rest all came in around 2k. Just... always get like 5 bids. Always.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

good installers are going to put it in a waterproof cabinet, and you'll probably have the money to replace it every couple years

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I had people over and grilled yesterday and spent the entire time the grill was going standing near it, drinking whiskey.

I wish I had a covered area with a fan and a TV to do this in, except the only thing on tv is the NBA and that's terrible so meh.

This has been my experience from the field.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

You need to move somewhere with a new cable provider if that's all that's on TV.

I don't have cable because it's all garbage. Streaming or Football. Or I'll turn on baseball for company because I guess it's marginally better than watching paint dry.

e: Just realized I sound like one of those "I don't own a TV" people.

I'm just too cheap to pay for more HGTV poo poo to be piped into my house.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Can you grill under a covered patio? I thought it would leave unsightly char marks on the ceiling.

Not with clean-burning, efficient propane.

Real talk, the covering would need to be like 12-15 ft up for me to want to have my grill running under it.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I updated the listing on my house on Zillow by adding a bedroom, a bathroom, and literally every optional thing available and it dropped the zestimate by 35k.

There's no rhyme or reason and I wouldn't worry about it at all.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

OSU_Matthew posted:

Speaking of costly stuff, anybody built either a deck or privacy fence lately? I'm looking at doing both, with a basic 12x20 elevated deck and a few sections of privacy fencing, and was curious to see what it's cost other people to get some starting point in planning everything. I'll probably be DIYing both, and I was thinking it would be a good idea to get vinyl fencing and artificial decking for durability.

I'm working with one of my friends to see about modifying my existing deck and putting a roof over it.

I did put up a 4ft privacy fence last year, because the HOA won't let it go higher. I have a weird shaped, quarter acre lot and ended up paying around 3700 bucks for the 4ft fence with two 5 ft gates. If I had done shadowbox style, it would've cost me another 600 or so.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Hard to say. I'd be careful doing your own fence, because if your lot isn't perfectly flat, it can look like absolute dogshit if you don't plan it out and execute pretty well.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

That's fair. It was outside my comfort zone.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I have a Toro smart-stow mower that was like 300 bucks for my .28 acre lawn. It's self-propelled. I *could* do a riding mower, but I can mow the whole lawn in like 45 minutes with this thing so why bother.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

When this mower dies in another couple years, I will probably be making the switch. I'm always nervous about the battery life, but I figure it's gotten to the point now that it's gonna work out alright.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Hughlander posted:

Sprinkler chat, what's the best resource to learn this poo poo? My home inspector didn't run the sprinkler and I didn't realize it. One has some kind of break below ground and just bubbles water to side head. One was stepped on and the plastic bit that lets you set the field of stream is broken.

Not sure how to approach either issue with no manual or even way of figuring out manufacturer.

You can also call one of 40 lawn irrigation companies in your town and they'll come out and quote you to fix it. Or you can do it yourself. They aren't very complicated, just a pain to dig down to.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Angies List works for me. Just get a couple bids and check their ratings. (and also insurance)

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Man, good neighbor relations are priceless. As much as I would be tempted to use his tools (the city) against him and whatnot, have you considered some sort of peace offer? Walk over with some cookies and say hi. Invite them to a barbecue, and see if you can get some dialogue. Worst case, you are where you are now, best case, you find out he and the previous owner of your home had a beef that has extended to you for no good reason.

Well since they aren't going to answer the door, that probably won't work.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

novamute posted:

Story time. When I was touring the house I ended up buying the most shocking thing I found was in the room they were using as an office. It was empty except for a desk and office chair facing the door and the entire room was painted denim color. No I don't just mean a medium blue. I mean denim. Somebody had gone through the room, painted it blue, sponge painted some lighter blue on top of it to make it look like denim texture, and then gone around and hand painted dashed vertical lines to look like stitching every 5 feet or so. It was one of the most hideous paint jobs I've ever seen. We painted over it immediately but still call it "the denim room".

One of the kids rooms was like this when we bought our current house.

Despite having a non-functioning A/C, I still painted it in the middle of July on the top floor of the house, sweating my dick off.

Oh, and they had contact paper sports balls all around the very top of the room like a really weird wall paper border.

In short, I can see and viscerally feel exactly what you are describing and I hate the people who did it.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

King Burgundy posted:

It could be worse.

Check out this "Unique one of a kind finishing completed by a professional!"

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/24-Brentwood-Dr-Avon-CT-06001/59011376_zpid/

Do the comps listed make it look like they're asking above market value?

That looks like the home of a very mentally unstable person.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Irritated Goat posted:

We're starting the process of rebuilding my home after the floods. House is gutted, things are moving along.

Of course, I get a call yesterday that they found termite damage in 2 studs. :sigh:

Contractor wants to redo the roof because it leaked during the storm. Homeowner's Insurance Adjuster says the ridge vent and 1 small section of shingles can be replaced + ceiling damage. Contractor says it'd be $7500 to redo the roof totally. I can't really afford it but at the same time, I'm scared the roof will leak again and ruin the work we're already doing.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask / Tell > Business, Finance, and Careers > Homeownership: Stress is only the beginning

Can you push back on the adjuster some? Seems like if it's still leaking from the flood and storm then it should be covered.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I helped my buddy put in solid hardwood over about 1000 sq ft over the course of a week of evenings. It's actually pretty easy if there's two of you. The hardest part is the cuts for corners and the last couple rows where you can't use a floor nailer.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

We bought a house with not just one but TWO satellite dishes on top on the house, installed by prior, prior owners. Is there any recourse I have to get the satellite installers to come haul away their eyesores, or is this now my responsibility?

You can try, but you I'm not sure if you can force them. I just took them off my last house myself.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Think I just put them back in and caulked them.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

You need a grill that can make and hold fire.

That's about it. I use a chargriller duo that I've had to replace some parts on, but it's cheap and lets me do charcoal or gas so whatever.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

You can get a shopping cart at aldi for a quarter. Turn it on its side and build the fire in the basket. Boom, 25 cent grill.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

You mean a gasket between the top half and the bottom half of the toilet?

No toilet repair is worth 182 dollars, because you can buy a new toilet for a hundred bucks. $182 will get you a nice Kohler shitter with a better than wax ring that you can install in about 20 minutes.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Pryor on Fire posted:

I'd pay much more than $182 to make someone else replace a toilet for me, that's high on my list of "hard pass" chores.

It's really, really easy. I'd rather do that than paint or clean the carpet.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Sits on Pilster posted:

Hey there 30-year fixed @ 3.375 buddy. Now let's just hope the bubble keeps inflating for a few more years.

Checking in :)

Got mine in last May and there's no way that I'll be refinancing any time soon.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

That's not mis-speaking.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

how the hell are you people cooking bacon?

I don't use a vent hood, make like 5 strips and don't get grease and poo poo everywhere and my house sure as poo poo doesn't reek of bacon the next day.

(I still want a vent hood)

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I own none except the one for my grill because it will ruin the lovely nonstick pans I have.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I didn't think anything of it and now all I can see if some weird Bedouin tent/fifth wheel trailer combo.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Why the hell was he actually mowing 20 acres?

What possible use could he have for that? 20 acres is an Allis Chalmers tractor and a brushhog once a month kinda territory.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

Mowing twice a week just a little is one of the keys to crowding out weeds without blasting the storm drains with herbicide. I don't do it but if you want no weeds and all grass it is the way of the lawn master.

What about turf builder or weed and feed?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I set my deck real low and mow once a week because I'm lazy, despite knowing that I need to bump that sucker up and start mowing more often.

One day my kids will be old enough to mow and by God, I'll have a nice lawn then.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Fiberglass sucks to install and if you ever replace a can light or whatever it will fall on you and get in your eyes and on your skin and it is, in general, satan's insulation.

Blown in cellulose is much better. I'm thinking I may rent the machine and blow more into my attic before summer really hits here.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

brugroffil posted:

wear proper PPE

get off my back, THE MAN

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I just realized that having a 6600 dollar deductible on my roof isn't a good thing. Shopped around, found a local agent, will switch car and home to American Family tomorrow and save 300 a year with better coverage across the board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Problem! posted:

We can buy a fridge through the home builder but there's a gigantic markup on it and we get a choice of two meh fridges so we've elected to buy a fridge on our own.

Since our house won't be done till fall we're keeping an eye out for good deals on appliances and if we find a good one we can stash it in the garage of our current place till the house is in a state we can install the fridge, or if it's far enough out push back the delivery date till the house is done.

Memorial day at Lowes.