Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Kirios posted:

Smart homes seem incredibly not worth the time, effort or money and it still astounds me that people actually pour money into this poo poo.

This is said as someone who does IT for a living. I could do the work, sure, but gently caress that nonsense. At least centralize this instead of every company wanting to do their stupid implementation.

my boss is building a house and the smart home package started at 15k.

anything beyond immediately increases the price by at least 5k.

I'm just thinking... uh, nah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Previa_fun posted:

The wife and I bought our first house just over a month ago. Condolences to us. Current projects are basic paint/clean/easy repair work. The house was built in '75 on a concrete slab and is in generally sound condition overall.

We definitely need new HVAC within the next year, maybe two at most. How do I determine whether I'm getting ripped off or not? What should I look for in a contractor for HVAC installation? What size unit do I need? Our house is just under 1300 sq. ft.

Also we had our power company send out a dude to do an "energy audit" and basically replace a bunch of bulbs with LEDs. He also gave us a bunch of documentation on solar panels. Worth it? I'm leaning toward no because we don't intend to live here longer than 5-7 years and the upfront cost is still fairly high.

...But at least I grill. :hfive:

get multiple bids for HVAC.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I'm not sure what you're asking. You want a gas-powered push mower.

Just get one, they're pretty much disposable at this point like everything else you'll ever buy.

I've had something like this for 4 years now:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-22-in-Recycler-SmartStow-High-Wheel-Variable-Speed-Walk-Behind-Gas-Self-Propelled-Mower-20339/205026227

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

If you're mowing multiple lawns I'd avoid electric.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Why is that? I mow a neighbour-shared back yard and two smallish front yards with an old, simple electric and it seems to work fine. What am I missing?

I seem to remember the best electric mower only giving you 45 minutes to an hour of battery life.

My yard isn't huge, by mid-western standards, but it still takes me 45 minutes to push mow it, even self-propelled.

If you're doing 2-3 of these, you're going to stretch your lawn-mowing day waaaaay out waiting for charge.

I would think. I guess this could've changed since the last time I did any real reading about electric mowers.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Hubis posted:

Here are some decent control tips

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/pests/weeds/hgic2320.html

1: dig up the top 12" of soil to remove active roots
2: an 18" barrier should impede progress
3: glyphosate applied properly and over time should kill stragglers

More glyphosate tips: http://www.roundup.com/smg/goART3/Howto/how-to-get-rid-of-bamboo/27800029

Be careful with that glyphosate, I'm pretty sure it turns frogs gay.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Just mow before they do next year.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Yeah you need to call an abatement company because you shouldn't gently caress with asbestos.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Mine was a 6k and I sleep much better at night now that it's 1k

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I replaced the water intake valve on my fridge and apparently wiggled my icemaker line to the point that it leaked water onto my wood floor for a couple days before I figured out what happened.

Now I have a large bow in the floor (3 months later) that I'm pretty sure won't go away. I'm wondering if I can contact my homeowners insurance about a leak or if I need to just bite the bullet and replace the floor soon.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

For 10 sq ft of floor replacement you're not looking at much higher than you deductible in repair costs unless the water got a lot further. You can always take a bunch of pictures then tear it up. The internet tells me $14/sqft is the high end of wood pricing, plus labor to R&R, fix any hidden problems, and stain to match. I bet it's around $1,000 to get it done, assuming no major problems hidden underneath it.

Has this bow been materializing over the last 3 months or did it happen pretty early on after you dried it up and hasn't gotten any worse?

This is why I use ice trays like the savages.

It hasn't gotten any worse.

The floor is 20 years old at this point and I have no idea if you could actually match the stain at this point at all or not. But I've only got 200 sq ft of hardwood, so I would imagine given the difficulty of finding any contractor around here who could actually patch and match, it would be best to do the whole floor.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I'm about to go get quotes to pull and replace a patch of wood floor, then refinish the whole thing.

Also new carpet for the bedrooms.

I hate dealing with contractors.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

At this point, I would file a complaint with the State Utility Board so they can gently caress this company in the rear end with the long dick of government bureaucracy.

The State LOVES to take the piss out of utility companies.

As someone who works for a utility, yeah. Contact your local news. Utilities are so scared of them.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

CitizenKain posted:

So, when putting a house up for sale, I assume it is standard practice to remove the flag with a nazi symbol on it before listing it. Because poking around zillow I found someone who looks like they missed that memo.
In the garage is a flag with a totenkopf in one corner.

Screenshots

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Is that the skull thing?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

How are we feeling about Lowes? They're pretty close to my house. (and you can just google a movers coupon)

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Meter readers will get their poo poo wrecked at work for curb reading. Just call and ask for someone to verify and they'll fix it up and you won't have that problem again.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

but the drywall out and just install a new piece. It's faster. Also don't tile over laminate.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

It's called mudjacking or polyjacking.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Mowing is for mornings. I do it even earlier now as revenge for my neighbors' four (FOUR) Chihuahua's who never shut the gently caress up.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

enraged_camel posted:

Attic insulation (spray foam): hire a professional, or learn to do it myself by reading guides and watching YouTube videos?

I got 3 bids and ended up hiring someone for not very much more than it would have cost me to DIY, and I didn't have to sweat.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Uh, why is your HVAC drawing air from the attic?

I have cellulose in my attic and in my knee walls and have not really had any issues at all.

Of course I also never go in my attic because... why would I?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Crosspostin'

My house is two stories plus a finished basement. I replaced the HVAC and zoned the duct work 3 years ago. I have created solar screens (90%) and placed them over my large back windows to cut down on heat transfer. I have also closed the inexplicably installed duct bypass that was dumping conditioned air back into the return of my HVAC instead of pumping it upstairs.

My house was 82 yesterday. I know it was a really hot day, but it should never be that hot, especially with me running the A/C all day.

I've got an HVAC guy coming to clean the coils and do PMCS on the condenser and fan, but I'm wondering if I'm just having air flow issues or maybe my coil is freezing up from running for 16 hours straight every day.

Any other ideas from anyone before I pay for an energy audit to see where heat is entering the house?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Hubis posted:

How cold is the air coming of your registers? Does your thermostat have an indoor humidity indicator?

It's cool, not ice cold, not as cold as when I was dumping conditioned air into the return. Indoor humidity is currently 58%

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

skipdogg posted:

Was it working properly before and now it's not working as well? How large is the A/C unit, how big is the conditioned space of the house? Can you see the coils easily from where it's installed?

Some things that helped me at one point or another

- check for anything restricting flow. blocked returns, dirty filters, using the wrong filter, dirty coils. My old system was designed for those cheap fiberglass filters, a thicker filter restricted too much airflow and affected performance.

- check the outside unit for proper airflow. make sure no leaves or debris are causing issues with the outside unit.

- check windows and door seals. It seems like a small thing, but my cats are punks and tear up the door seals sometimes. replacing them so I couldn't see light around the door made a difference.

This is a good one to test. I tested the main output of the unit though. Old A/C guy told me I should be seeing 19 to 20 degree drops from input air to output air with my old system. He measured it at 15 and the system was low on refrigerant. Only caused a problem on the hottest of days but ended up replacing a leaky evap coil.

It worked slightly better than the old SEER like.. 4 system we replaced, although the zoning to push everything upstairs to cool the bedrooms to tolerable for the evening was really the only thing. I still have insane electric bills. It's a 4 ton system I think, 2300 sq ft of conditioned space plus another 700 basement or so. I may be able to see the coils, I think there's only one access panel.

I can't find air flow restrictions other than maybe there just flat not being enough returns. I'll have to check my seals and see if I can't get the energy audit guy there soon.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

One handler and zoned ductwork.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

SiGmA_X posted:

Variable speed handler? What type of zone control? I only know a little about it, but if the zoning was designed to use a bypass (kind of retrofit/hack job type of deal) and you removed it...problem found?

Ive tried the bypass both ways. Doesn't seem to make a difference. Single speed handler. It was a retrofit on the existing ducting.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

So my condenser was clogged with 2 years worth of yard clippings and laundry lint. Thing may still be a bit undersized for my house but at least I'm not paying 500/mo for an 82 degree house now.

Closer to 350/mo for a 72 degree house. Whatever, I've got the energy audit guy coming to tell me where to air seal tomorrow.

e: Also, re: the Nest. I work for an electric utility with a similar program. They send you the nest and a 50 dollar check, then a 25 dollar check yearly for having it installed. The catch is they can adjust your thermostat up 4-5 degrees on peak demand days 5-8 times a summer. You can immediately set it back to your old setting if you'd like. That's it. I would take advantage of it because playing with my thermostat from my bed or office is cool.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Just keep your old thermostat in your basement or something and swap them back out?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

potatoducks posted:

Experiences with dual zone AC anyone? We need to put in central air, and I'm looking at my options.

I know that it's more complicated and prone to issues, but it seems like the only way to get consistent temperature in a 2 story house with a cathedral ceiling.

I guess you can also get two separate AC units.

I have a dual zoned system with one unit. I would recommend going with the variable stage motor.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

My HOA has grass rules but the 3 weeks between cuts I tend to leave has informed me that they don't enforce them. Grass is stupid and I don't give a gently caress if it's 3 inches long.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Always get three bids.

When we replaced ours for 3100 Sq ft of conditioned space, we had quotes from 5500 to 21000. Granted, this is KC, but I would imagine you're getting taken for a ride, especially considering the time of year. If you can limp to September those prices will come down.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

4 and yeah, 3200 gets used up quick, especially with a colossally stupid configuration.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

In my case, it's more a function of poor layout. 2300 sq ft on the ground floor and upstairs, then another 900 sq ft of finished basement, which is half guest area for our families when they visit and half playroom for the kids. The entire upstairs is dedicated to bedrooms, but the idiots who built the place designed a master suite that takes up more room than the other 3 bedrooms combined, easily. Hell, both the bathroom and the closet are larger than any of the other bedrooms. It's stupid, and I hate it and one day I shall move into a sensible ranch house made of brick.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Net metering is unsustainable, because the price you pay for a kilowatt hour from your utility company includes the costs of transmission (which includes the amortized costs of constructing transmission infrastructure). To be sustainable, the utility company should only pay generators the wholesale cost of generated power. It is also the case that having lots of people at the end nodes of transmission networks feeding power back into the system requires systemic upgrades and more flexibility in generation, which adds costs.

Basically, if lots more people get solar and take advantage of net metering paying retail price per kilowatt to them, the utility is increasingly unable to recover the costs of its infrastructure.

So, basically; it's an incentive that you should expect to last for a limited number of years, with the price the utility pays for your home-generated power to fall either gradually or precipitously, depending on the lobbying power the utility has with the state. And the cheaper solar gets, the more sustainable it becomes to lower that incentive and still attract people to get solar. This is a model where you do not want to be among the group of early adopters. Financially speaking, anyway.

It may also reduce the resellability of your home, to attach a long-term commitment to some solar company that the buyers would have to agree to. For this reason, I'd recommend self-financing a solar installation vs. the arrangement a lot of solar installers like, where you pay them a monthly fee for decades.

From an ethical or from a lifestyle perspective, solar can be great, assuming you're in a location where it's sensible. I'd consider it myself even though the numbers don't make tons of sense for me, if I wasn't probably under 5 years away from a whole roof replacement.

Hey this is wrong! The first part anyway.

Utilities push solar as a form of demand management and then upgrade their transmission and distribution lines as large capital projects instead, which allows them to still generate revenue while upgrading the infrastructure.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I never said it didn't come from customers, you just said the utility wouldn't be able to recover the costs to maintain it's infrastructure, which was incorrect.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Basically, if lots more people get solar and take advantage of net metering paying retail price per kilowatt to them, the utility is increasingly unable to recover the costs of its infrastructure.

But also I think I misread the post when I responded to it. He's absolutely correct about net metering.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I'm assuming some sort of set-up just utilizing peakers? I guess it depends on the region, too.

A lot of utilities (at least regulated) are working on developing non-regulated arms of the business so that they can find ways to be a part of the post-electricity scarcity world.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I have a zoned system with dampers. The upstairs thermostat is wireless. Can I just use a nest sensor up there and ditch the extra dumb thermostat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Motronic posted:

Not without running wires from the zone controller.

There's likely a reason that thermostat is wireless - and it's because it would have been an expensive pain in the rear end to run wires to it.

For IoT garbage chat: I'm automating the poo poo out of my new house. And not a single thing is connected to the internet. It's all on it's own not-connected VLAN and/or locally controlled zwave stuff. If the server running it (Home Assistant) dies everything still works 100% fine manually.

I'm really just hoping for anything wireless and programmable that will work with my damper system.