Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I found a good general contractor over the winter! he got in a motorcycle wreck and isn't working now that it's warm out while he's on the mend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

My injured contractor contacted me today to say he has a rototiller I can borrow at any time to start on my garden :3:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Now if only he could get better and start working on my sun porch before the leaky roof completely destroys it. I think I might start removing the 1970s-era paneling from the interior this weekend.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

oh my god gently caress bamboo and gently caress the previous owner for planting that poo poo it never loving dies no matter how many times we try to dig it all up

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Bozart posted:

Cover it with black plastic sheets for a couple weeks, everything dies.

It's a running species of bamboo, I'd have to cover my entire yard. Plus I have no doubt that it can shoot through it. Bamboo is the worst.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

All I got was a note that said that the pipes tend to freeze when the temperature drops below 20F and to leave them dripping to try to fend that off.

She was right.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Do I need to worry about cleaning out my gutters if there aren't any trees over them, and I have a taller house than the ones on either side? What's going to get stuck up there?

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Nah, buy a Kwikset Smart Key and https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sR-h64WwfW8 . It'll be fun!

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I'm really surprised the plumbers didn't opt to run a home-run back to the sewer main and instead went with that weirdo setup you've got there. I'm surprised that the city didn't require them to fix that once they discovered it.

Also there's nothing "thankful" about the break being under your sidewalk instead of in the street-if it was in the street it would be the city's problem (and at least in Chicago they're pretty prompt about fixing broken sewer lines).

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I have a little covered porch. It's finally not falling down and leaking, so I can use it for things.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

That cat seems very upset about being euthanized.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Used cat litter or fresh? I like to think that the fact that our garbage cans perpetually smell like a catbox help keep rats away.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I still need to go rip out the miles of cable choking my little Chicago 2-story cottage from all the abandoned AT&T/DirectTV/Comcast installs.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Get a cat.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I want to mount a hose hanger over some Insul-Brick.

How the hell do I find a stud behind that stuff?

For extra fun, the insul-brick is probably covering century-old clapboard.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

It's in a protected area, everything else was covered with aluminum siding probably 50+ years ago.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

minivanmegafun posted:

I want to mount a hose hanger over some Insul-Brick.

How the hell do I find a stud behind that stuff?

For extra fun, the insul-brick is probably covering century-old clapboard.

That wasn't so bad. Found the stud indoors and then just measured from the door.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

if you have too much lawn to cover with a 20" reel lower you have too much lawn, plant wildflowers.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Y'all lazy.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Eh, I bought a $190k 1200 sq ft, 130 year old house that needs $70k+ worth of work, though I plan to spread that out over five years.

This year so far is $8k in replacing the roof on the covered back porch and replacing a dilapidated front wood stairway/porch/wheelchair lift combo with a nice solid steel one, as well as replacing the breaker box and painting the front aluminum siding.

We're trying to decide what else we want to try to get done this year, most likely will be adding a couple baseboard heaters to try to prevent pipe freezing next winter, insulate the attic, and maybe add a stairway between the two floors (historically this place was a 2-unit cottage, we're turning it into an SFH). The big expensive things are going to be adding traditional HVAC ducting, a modern furnace and AC, and tearing all the walls down and redoing all the infra.

In other news it's in a nice quiet neighborhood across from a church and minutes from the Chicago Loop and close to the ‘L’ so :3:

I think the garage might be a loss, I really need to get someone in to look at it.

do not consider doing this unless you have another person on board willing to pick up a paintbrush/hammer/drill/saw, have a good general contractor, and do not have kids

my GC is the smart one, he refuses to buy a house and continues to rent

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Just buy a 19th century home, they put down a floor up there back then.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Nessa posted:

I seriously underestimated the sheer amount of apples a single tree could have.

I have a sick and lopped many, many times nectarine tree and a small pear tree in my tiny Chicago backyard.

The nectarine tree dumped all of its fruit in June and that is a hell of a mess to clean up. The pear tree seems really healthy so I hope my friends like Asian pears because I'm gonna have a ton of them.

Now if only someone had the sense to plant a tree in the parkway before the sun baked all of the paint off of my south-facing aluminum siding.

I think we're gonna cut the nectarine tree down, it's just too much space taken up in our yard. One tree is plenty in the city.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

life is killing me posted:

How can I tell which mine is? It's probably ionization given the problem, but how would I know for sure?

Flip it over and look for a warning that it contains Americium - if it does, its ionization (or dual-sensor).

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Elysium posted:

So I just bought a house, and it did not come with a washer/dryer. It is set up for an electric dryer, but there is a gas line close by in the same room that could be run over to where the dryer would be.

A few questions: 1) Is it really that much more efficient to have a gas dryer? 2) Should I trust my girlfriends dad who says he has experience installing gas lines to do it? 3) If he does do it, and my house blows up, my insurance probably won't cover it right? 4) If I hire out a licensed guy to do the job to alleviate any of those concerns, aren't I basically just spending the money that I would otherwise save by installing a gas dryer?

1) Maybe, check your local utility costs.
2) Maybe, check if that installation is required to be permitted.
3) Possibly, see 2.
4) I don't know, how long do you plan to stay at this house?

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

at some depth of wallpaper layering the correct action is to tear the drywall down and try again

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

In that case, yes, definitely. If you have the option to drain out the line independently of the rest of your house you can do that, otherwise, keep the heat on.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I do love only having 25' of sidewalk to clear of snow. Y'all yokels in the burbs don't know what you're missing.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

Do you mean the actual sidewalk, or just your walkways?

Actual sidewalk.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I think it's absurd some cities make people shovel the sidewalks just because it happens to be in front of their house. You invariably end up with lovely people who won't shovel, people who can't shovel because their old or disabled, and patches of sidewalk that are in front of a property that's not owned by anyone/abandoned.

It's absurd in that I'd rather the city did it itself, but the resources for that would be rather high. I'm fortunate enough to live in a city with stiff fines for not shoveling, a really easy web form for filing a complaint, and live on a street full of people who walk everywhere and file said complaints.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Grill status: some old red Weber kettle from the 50s that belonged to my grandpa. Needs some new wheels and the wood handles are rotted out but otherwise still makes a mean burg.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

It's not that bad, gay couples did it all the time, but talk to a drat attorney.

Actually talk to an attorney regardless, house purchases are expensive complicated transactions.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

A lot of my neighbors on my south side Chicago street have cameras, which means I don't have to, particularly if my house continues to look like a dump. It just gets left alone.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Do you people not have windows in your kitchens?

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I actually have a good restaurant-grade hood in my kitchen that's appropriately vented to the roof, but it was wired by a literal moron (spliced some lamp cord into the original wiring and plugged it into the wall) so I've never had a chance to use it. It was one of the first things I unplugged when I bought this house, along with the extension cord going from the back porch up to the attic and tacked in with nails between the conductors.

minivanmegafun fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 3, 2017

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I've lived in the Great Lakes region my entire life. I don't understand what anyone's talking about when they're complaining about hard water, soft water, wells, water softeners...I just give my municipality money and I get water.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

brugroffil posted:

I too live in the great lakes region. Municipal water where I'm at is extremely hard. If you're not actually getting water from the lakes, you're probably drawing from a limestone aquifer, which means lots of dissolved calcium.

I guess Great Lakes region is a little broad. I've lived in municipalities with a coast on the lake, so, yeah. Love that fresh water :yum:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

baquerd posted:

If you homebrew, moving from a lake sourced water supply to an ultra-hard limestone supply is incredibly painful. Chicago city water is actually amazing for brewing.

My circle of friends includes a few people from the south side brewclub, their Oktoberfest is off the chain

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I live in the Midwest (Chicago proper) and am looking really hard at clover.

Also just tearing the grass out and replacing it with gravel and pavers. That might happen too.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Motronic posted:

General question here.....what exactly is the aversion people have to proper gas powered small tools?

I mean, I get that if you leave crap ethanol gas in them they don't want to start. But this has been an entirely solved problem for quite some time now (google: trufuel and you'll find that as well as many other brands).

I have a 25' wide Chicago lot, I'd spend more time squeezing a lawnmower through the gangway than I would mowing. Manual push reel mower for me!

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

devicenull posted:

Do you want to remove all of the existing insulation? Because that's what you need to do to install spray foam.

I have no insulation, and I'm tearing the walls down to the studs and clapboard, so yes this is what I plan to do. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

My tiny yard (around 625 sq ft) drains for poo poo, the ground is almost always moist. What should I start with? Core aerator?