Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

King Burgundy posted:

Yeah, I gave up on maid services. None of the three I tried at various times(move out cleaning, move in cleaning, etc) have been worth a drat. And contractors in general, just not calling back, not showing up, not billing, etc I just don't understand how any of them stay in business.

And keep in mind, this is after already filtering these people through things like Angie's list, google reviews, etc. I hate to think about how much worse they could be.

One time I came home in the middle of the day to check on a new cleaner and she had done zero work but was in my basement throwing up in the bathroom hungover. Perfection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Well, gotta dig up the fuckin backyard and fix whatever the hell is wrong with my sewer main. There goes $15-20k.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

So far after buying in 2011 we have replaced the roof, remodeled a bathroom, painted the inside, outside, and decks, replaced the gutters and downspouts, refinished the hardwood, replaced the carpets.

And now we are about to do a natural gas conversion, remodel the kitchen, replace all the appliances, remodel the other bathroom, and fix the side sewer.

gently caress houses, spend money.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Devian666 posted:

Whenever I get reports on old drains they are usually full of tree roots. Just clean the trap, maybe use some draino or whatever similar product to clear out built up gunk. If there's still a problem after that you might want to have the drains looked at. There are some pretty good methods for clearing out blockages including root cutting tools if you are ready to spend.

Part of the job is installing a trap. We don't even have one.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

I think he means in the slow sinks. Just pull from the bottom of the sink to the wall and scoop out the gunk. Maybe you find a wedding ring. Maybe you find a used condom. It is a game.

Oh sorry I was talking the wrong conversation. My side sewer doesn't have a clean out so I have to get one installed (or keep removing the basement toilet).

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Get the loving sewer inspected. Just do it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

People say it's a bummer to spend a bunch of cash on something like a side sewer because it's money spent with nothing to show for it, but I'm super glad that poo poo water doesn't pile up in my basement shower when I do laundry now.

$9k well spent.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I'm on a crusade to rid myself of all combustion engine lawn tools. Battery and plug in for life.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

My house has a drip system all around the yard but the device (filter? I dunno) was broken when I bought the house so I've never used it.

I'm not sure what purpose the device had. It was about the size of a 20 oz soda bottle though.

If a drip system has been unused for five years, is it still viable?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Did you scope your sewer? Do that first.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I went through the same thing when I replaced my dishwasher. It's loving magical.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Our kitchen remodel turned into an oil>natural gas conversion, furnace replacement, water heater replacement, laundry room remodel, downstairs bathroom remodel...

And now we've decided to just remove the furnace chimney entirely so we can relocate the fridge and reclaim some space. That means the roofer needs to come back out and do a custom patch.

Hell yeah I hate money. This kitchen better suck my dick.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

The point about ornamental shutters that don't actually cover the window were they to be closed has annoyed me for so long. It's everywhere.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Just switched to a NG tankless and noticed no noticeable difference from my electric tank heater. I had no idea people rented their water heaters...

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Whenever I've looked into tankless it's sounded like more pain than it's worth. You have to have large gas lines running to the right location or a giant electrical circuit.

Yeah agreedo. We were converting our oil-based furnace to NG and converted the water heater at the same time because we were already running a gas line to the house for that.

That's right. I bought a house in the year 2014 that still uses oil. A guy pulls up and fills a huge tank under my front porch every four months or so. What loving year is it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I believe it's hyperbole.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tYGCZ4ED98k

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

My neighbors are hit and miss socially and politically, but they would all dig me out of a ditch if I needed them to.

My immediate neighbor to the right (of course his name is Randy) likes to call the city on the parked car of the recovering alcoholic across the street who sometimes leaves it parked past the city-mandated 72 hour limit. Also, sometimes he lives in it because his living situation is... complicated.

loving Randy. gently caress that guy.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

That is my waking nightmare. Holy poo poo.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I work with a guy who is building a house and he has most of his subs on hourly contracts.

I asked him how he stays in his budget and he says he hounds them all the time and rides them like Shetland ponies.

I'd rather just do a fixed price myself.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Mercury Ballistic posted:

For bathroom fans, get the Panasonic. They are whisper quiet and work great. Only downside is they are best installed in new construction. Without access to the above space the install will be hell.

Seconding the Panasonic recommendation. Just got one per my GC's recommendation and it is super quiet.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Does getting a fan with a heating element require additional wiring or fan you put one in where a regular fan already exists?

I presume an additional set of wires need to be run to the control switch so you can then the heat on/off?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Renovating my kitchen and my GC pulled the original drain lines from when my house was built in 1956:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

But if the power goes out and the battery is dead then you die. What then???

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I just crawled through my 3' attic to run two ethernet drops before I blow in insulation and fill the whole cavity with sweet money saving insulation.

I ran one for a security camera i plan to mount on my roof for visibility of my driveway and I just exited out of the gable vent. Is the ideal solution to drill an exit hole for it? My main concern is making sure it's high up enough that someone can't easily cut it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Ooh junction box mounting is a good idea... Then I could run the cable through some conduit and keep it protected all the way to the camera.

I'll move over to the home security thread for camera model choices.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

OSU_Matthew posted:

I was not aware we had such a thing... Could you link me or tell me which subforum? A cursory google search isn't proving useful

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635963

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

love on the cheap posted:

More fun alternative: get on the roof with a leaf blower. Hope you have good health insurance!

I live in a rambler with a very shallow metal roof on it. Leaf blowing my roof (w/ fall protection) is a favorite dry weather activity of mine.

RE: gutter chat:

I have something called Gutter Glove installed on my new gutters and its a mesh that is supposed to catch all of the gritty dirt that the cedar trees drop. I haven't had them a full season yet so i remain unconvinced.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I bought it. Will post some kind of review after I install and use it during break.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Helpful Information: Where do you live?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Regarding cable drops: I have them all over my house but realistically, don't I just need one drop? I don't have cable television and never plan to get it.

Is it dumb to remove the drops I dont need? They're mostly run on the exterior of my house and are distracting/ugly.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Do you have to caulk up the place where the screws anchored?

Yes definitely.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

gently caress previous owners, god.

This is my bedtime prayer every night too.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

brugroffil posted:

dual-zone smoking on my weber genesis owns

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/2-zone_indirect_cooking.html

I've got a little box for wood chips that goes under the grates, and it's really easy to set up my grill to hold a temperature steady for hours with zero interference from me.

I have nothing to add other than I used to work at the data center that hosts (hosted?) this site. The admin's email address was "ribguy@amazingribs.com" and seeing it in a trouble ticket always brought a smile to my face as an image of rib kid danced in my head.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

My house backs up to a ravine that the DOT owns and they barely even acknowledge that it exists.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

Do you mean the actual sidewalk, or just your walkways?

I think it's absurd some cities make people shovel the sidewalks just because it happens to be in front of their house. You invariably end up with lovely people who won't shovel, people who can't shovel because their old or disabled, and patches of sidewalk that are in front of a property that's not owned by anyone/abandoned.

Just do it how Seattle does and don't put sidewalks in front of 30-40% of the houses.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Don't... don't do this. Do you read StrongTowns?

https://www.strongtowns.org/

It's mostly a joke. No sane person person would develop a new neighborhood like this.

Seattle doesn't have sidewalks in neighborhoods that were incorporated after a certain date. You can see them disappear around 85th Ave N if you're on foot.

Then there are side streets that were added later and sidewalks weren't feasible because there isn't enough space (that's my situation).

It has a weird effect in the dynamic of the neighborhood because it introduces a barrier for pedestrians since there isn't a dedicated lane for them. So if someone is casually walking down my street and I don't recognize them and they're not walking a dog or something, it looks off.

Property crime is also really high in Seattle so I'm paranoid about everything.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I have a a friend in the same boat. He is so annoyed with the shared wall noise that he and his wife are considering moving into our friends' Airbnb while they find somewhere else to buy.

Avoiding shared walls is the entire point of buying as far as I'm concerned.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Clearly this conversation can go nowhere because wtf is an electric shower goddamn UK what is wrong with you ?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

willie_dee posted:

All of which would be covered under the NHBC warranty?

No need to be sarcastic.

My sisters carpet started coming up in a corner in her apartment 3 years after she purchased it, she got the whole carpet replaced completely free of charge.

Houses typically last longer than ten years, dude.

I bet at year 11 is when poo poo starts going sideways anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Also: Are you under the impression that new homes built outside of the UK don't have similar warranties on them?