Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Axiem posted:

There are lots of guides floating around giving schedules for doing things around the house ("Check your smoke detectors every three months", "In October, make sure to pick up a bag of salt for when it snows", and so on). How do people keep up with these schedules, and remember when to do things? They just seem so easy to forget.

Google calendar for the past 8 years. Oh it's the first of the month, change the filter in the fridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Sprinkler chat, what's the best resource to learn this poo poo? My home inspector didn't run the sprinkler and I didn't realize it. One has some kind of break below ground and just bubbles water to side head. One was stepped on and the plastic bit that lets you set the field of stream is broken.

Not sure how to approach either issue with no manual or even way of figuring out manufacturer.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

LogisticEarth posted:

Yeah you'd need to replace the outlet for that but having a safe and effective electrical system is a primary function of a modern home so this would generally should be in the landlord. It's not a "minor upgrade", it's general maintenance.

At the very least he should buy you the materials.

I'd go further to say don't loving do it in a rental without a contract for time and material. Particularly if he's already planning on booting you.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

FCKGW posted:

My kitchen outlets are tied off from my bathroom GFCI upstairs. That took me a week to figure out why my outlets weren't working anymore.

1979 split level ranch gfci in master bath and garage door opener / box freezer in garage. Had to throw the food out before we caught that.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Anyone know anything about new tangled HVAC systems where there is a separate baffler behind the normal surface mounted grate for coarse adjustments? My new house has something like this where it was mostly closed in the bedroom when we got it which stymied air conditioning till we asked the installer. Now that it's getting cold I assume I'd want to adjust them all but would like some manuals on what position they should be in and what's the easiest way to adjust.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Economic Sinkhole posted:

Is it feasible to build a new 6' wooden fence so you don't have to look at his weeds?

Neighbor will go to the town that he is storing scrap wood on the property border.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

King Burgundy posted:

It could be worse.

Check out this "Unique one of a kind finishing completed by a professional!"

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/24-Brentwood-Dr-Avon-CT-06001/59011376_zpid/

Yah sorry, it was an art project http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/the-viral-real-estate-ad-featuring-worlds-most-horrifying-interior-design-was-an-art-project

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Drunk Tomato posted:

Whatever happened to good old cardboard and duct tape??

We now have plywood technology that replaced it.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Link? We need patio furniture.

Same.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Bozart posted:

turns out my toilet line is leaking somewhere between the second floor and the basement, and it isn't the wax ring, oh boy

How lovely.

Thread Title chat!: Looking for a recommendation for a natural gas grill, want to pick something up during 4th of July sales. Only one I've seen on sale so far is one at home depot that's not in stock to look at and i've never heard of the brand...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Dyna-Glo-5-Burner-Natural-Gas-Grill-with-Side-Burner-and-Rotisserie-Burner-DGA550SSN-D/205210037

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

I bought my NG Weber off Amazon, 2-day shipping with Prime.

Which model? I'm trying to figure out feature set I GAF about. Thinking:
Medium Grill top size
Dedicated 'searing station'

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Owning a home is way cheaper than renting if you are in a highly desirable metro area.

Pretty much. Two homes here in a hugely increasing market. Renting one out that appreciated 300% since I purchased it. The rent is covering the 15 year mortgage on it and then some. The higher of the two has a mortgage for less than its current rental value and two houses sold in the development in 2017 for 140 and 160k more than what I paid last year. Same model in nearby developments are going for 350k more than I paid. Go Amazon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

Maintenance is predictable, repairs are often just random which is why the homebuying thread always recommends a healthy emergency fund. You can't easily predict that a pipe leading to the upstairs bath has developed a big leak and is causing mold to grow behind your walls, or the formation of a crack in the foundation from less-than-perfect work performed years ago.

You can make an educated guess for the replacement timing of appliances but that's not really a repair.

What kind of home insurance do you have that any of those things is anything beyond the cost of the deductible? My rental place had a flooded basement in January, 20k damages. 1k deductible. Contractor just took the itemization that the insurance put together and said, “We’ll take it.”