Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
There are lots of guides floating around giving schedules for doing things around the house ("Check your smoke detectors every three months", "In October, make sure to pick up a bag of salt for when it snows", and so on). How do people keep up with these schedules, and remember when to do things? They just seem so easy to forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

Any suggestions on how to do that on a two-floor house, or is it just “don’t be scared of heights, and have a tall ladder”?

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

Re: mower chat.

I love my Ego mower. It's quiet, it works, and there's minimal fuss involved, especially compared to every gas mower I've ever used. My only complaint is that it seems like Home Depot is trying to focus on their Ryobi brand instead of Ego, which is annoying, because I've heard middling things about the Ryobi line and nothing but good things about Ego.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

LawfulWaffle posted:

Any recommendations for a decent wi-if extender?

There's a Home Networking Thread that can probably help.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

When did this turn into the home buying thread?

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

Nothing lights this thread up quite like grill chat

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I love my Ego stuff :shrug:

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

When I bought my Ego, I wondered if I should pony up for the self-propelled version (which also would have entailed a lot more searching around the city for one), and ultimately picked the non-self-propelled one. I have been nothing but happy with it, though my yard also doesn't have much in the way of hills anymore.

I've never had issues with an Ego battery running out on me.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

When we bought our house a little over a year ago, the inspection turned up that the sewer lateral pipe was looking pretty weak, and needed to be replaced before it collapsed. However, the problem was in a place where it was the city's responsibility to pay for it and get it done. So when we bought the house, we put our names on the list, figuring they'd get to us sooner or later.

Last night or so, it apparently collapsed, and now we have a backflow of sewage in our basement. Lovely stuff, really. My wife started with a plumber today (the same ones who did the inspection, as I understand it), who confirmed that the issue is a collapsed pipe.

She spent the rest of the day trying to get ahold of the public works department, and finally got ahold of someone at 4:30 who might be able to actually get ahold of the public works department. That's pm. On a Friday. Of an already short week. And we have a wedding to attend tomorrow.

What is it that the home-buying thread says. "Do never buy" or something like that?

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

Axiem posted:

Last night or so, it apparently collapsed, and now we have a backflow of sewage in our basement. Lovely stuff, really. My wife started with a plumber today (the same ones who did the inspection, as I understand it), who confirmed that the issue is a collapsed pipe.

Following up on this, Monday morning my wife got ahold of someone at City Hall, and they got the whole thing patched up this morning. Turns out that when the contractors ran fiber through the neighborhood a couple weeks ago, they clipped our (already cracked) sewer line, causing it to collapse over the next week or two!

At least we have working toilets again. You don't appreciate modern plumbing as much as when you don't have it for a weekend.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I love my Ego mower; your mileage may vary :shrug:

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

Hey, toilets are serious business. The Roman Empire collapsed because they didn't have toilets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

I really hate when people put carpet in A) laundry rooms or B) bathrooms

I've never seen carpet in a kitchen but I bet some idiot has made that exist, somewhere.

When we were looking for a new house a couple of years ago, one of the houses we looked at had hardwood floors everywhere—except for carpet tiles in the kitchen, and carpet in the bathrooms. We were 100% baffled.

We've put an upstairs laundry room in our current house, instead of the machines being all the way down in the basement. It had been a large uncarpeted closet, and changing it to a laundry room has been an amazing decision. While yes, I still worry about what might happen if we suddenly get a catastrophic leak failure, having the laundry machines 10 feet (and 0 stairs) away from where 90% of the laundry is generated is a godsend. I highly recommend it, assuming you can get your pipes and drainage set up well.