Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
80 bags of mulch. 80 loving bags of mulch to fill in all the plant bullshit I have going on outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

No Butt Stuff posted:

It took us 80 bags of mulch at our last house. It looked so much better when it was done though. Worth it.

And this is exactly the reason why I am doing it.

LogisticEarth posted:

Why the gently caress would you buy that many bags instead of just getting a truckload dumped off? Isn't that way cheaper and easier?

Because I don't feel like having a gently caress off pile of mulch in my front yard, until I find time to spread it all. Your point on it being cheaper stands though.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Omne posted:

I can't even get people to call me back! I have money to spend, people, take it! Answer my call!

Had a contract with one, all written up, signed by me, just waiting for them to sign off on it. Cash money ready to be paid. No call, no show, don't even know if they are even still a business.

Landscaping, the purgatory of business.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

emocrat posted:

We bought a new house last fall. This spring, 19 cubic yards of mulch. If bags are 2 cubic feet, that's equivalent of 256.5 bags.

We live on a hill, and the highest drop off point is halfway up it.

You poor loving.....

You unfortunate.......

Why the gently caress do you have that much landscaping, Richy McRicharson? :v:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegheny_mound_ant
These fuckers currently have the run of my backyard.

I am currently waging total war against them and the mice that attempt to infest my lawn mower.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

emocrat posted:

I mean, cause it looks good :)

We have, I think, .38 of an acre, its completely landscaped. Sometime in the 90s the prior owners and both our neighbors had all 3 houses professionally landscape architected or whatever. It is a lot of work, and it takes some money, but honestly it looks great and it makes me super happy whenever I look at it.Its done well too, pretty low maintenance given the size, well thought out in term of colors throughout the season, large swaths of groundcover that doesn't get mowed.

Yeah so we def paid for some cash labor on this one. Its our first year here, so, we did a few things we did wrong. We didn't do a good enough job cleaning up leaves in the fall, making that job harder. Then we waited about a month too late to do it, so stuff was already coming up and we couldn't just throw it down without paying attention. Next year should be a bit better. 10 cubic yards of double shredded hardwood is 250 delivered, and if we get the timing right laying it out shoud be a lot less work.

You're one of the good ones. Take that as you will.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

No Butt Stuff posted:

Now I've just got to figure out what I'm going to call it when I submit the request for approval.

A very large dog house?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Planted my tomatoes today. :3:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

OSU_Matthew posted:

:hfive:

That's great! What all varieties did you plant? Any plans for other edibles?

I'm still working on building a raised bed garden, my girlfriend and I are planning on getting some starter plants from the farmers market next Saturday. Still looking around at different composting solutions to implement.

Just sticking with tomatoes, as the little garden I have is just that. Little.

So, six Super Sweet 100's went into the ground. Which will yeild enough tomatoes to make me sick of them and a bunch to give away.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Axiem posted:

There are lots of guides floating around giving schedules for doing things around the house ("Check your smoke detectors every three months", "In October, make sure to pick up a bag of salt for when it snows", and so on). How do people keep up with these schedules, and remember when to do things? They just seem so easy to forget.

Only because this isn't GBS do you get a effort response.

Sometimes you do forget. It's all part of the whimsy of life and home ownership.

Sometimes you plan everything out, set a budget, stick to it 100% and then your water heater blows out its guts and your furnace along with it. Suddenly you're staring down a $5000 bill for who the gently caress knows what? At the end of the day though, it's yours. No land lords. No shared wall neighbors. No dick heads or jerks telling you how or what you should do with your life. You take responsibility for your piece and you do as you will. And if you decide to say gently caress you to the powers that be, they'll come for you, in due time. As I have seen with friends, acquaintances and such, over the years.

In the grand scheme of things though. A missed opportunity to save on a bag of salt or mulch, putting off mowing your lawn because of rain or something else is the trivialities of life.

You have a roof over your head. It's your roof and you get to live the way you wish to. That's what becomes important.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Zhentar posted:

Okay, yeah, in mild weather it will be harder to induce a sufficient gradient.

Yard Chat: I wish I knew what magic the PO did to keep poo poo in order. Was he really cleaning out that gutter after every single rain? And my yard is being accosted by a horde of chipmunks and moles, how were they kept at bay!? And the woodpeckers... they've put at least a dozen holes in my siding in over the past two years but there's no evidence of any holes or repairs from the 20 years before that, what am I doing wrong!?

Take this with salt.

In my experience, until a home is going to get listed for sale, people hardly maintain anything, unless they really love it. I've seen shitholes turned into a wonderful facade, and sold.

Rarely do you find a home that was; well built, well maintained and information passed onto the next owner to do as such.

Because sometimes the next owner is simply looking for a place to flip or their own self interest and couldn't give a gently caress less, which leads me back to point a.

Your house is going to be maintained on what your level of "care" is.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Bozart posted:

Leaves. Still clean them out at least once a year and you'll be a lot safer.

This.

poo poo, sometimes a sludge, of unknown origins, builds up in there.

Get gutter guards and spend the few hours installing them yourself.

It's fifteen minutes per year inspecting them/cleaning them and so on, versus getting elbow deep in poo poo.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

newts posted:

It is small when you have 3 kids :(

While I don't have kids, yes, yes it would be.

That's basically the square footage for a three bedroom two and a half bath, single family home.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Rurutia posted:

Can we not argue what we consider 'big' or 'small' or 'massive'? People have preferences for what they feel comfortable in and use their spaces in different ways.

Good post. Thank you. :)

This....

This is what a BFC argument looks like?

I've met CPAs that get more fired up. :v:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

My 3 bedroom 1.5 bath house is 1188 square feet. It's in a neighborhood full of similarly-sized houses full of families with two, three, and four kids. Whether a house "seems small" has as much to do with perceptions as square feet, and then another aspect is how well the house was laid out for usability. A lot of houses are poorly designed and waste a lot of square footage on poo poo like hallways. Some people have formal dining rooms, others don't. Staircases consume square footage too. If you have a laundry room in your home instead of hookups in the garage that can be another hundred square feet. Etc. etc.

Lots of people feel more comfortable with more space, that's fine. Where folks take issue is when we're living very reasonably in 1200 square feet and someone pops in to declare that they "need" twice as much space. "Need" is a loaded word. Americans are generally massively wasteful, some of us are acutely aware of that wastefulness, and it's not a terrible thing to remind people - politely - that the standard American perception of what we "need" is actually grossly conspicuous luxury compared to how most of humanity lives, including in other developed countries.

Especially in BFC, because one of the persistent problems that people have with regards to managing their financing, is being unable to clearly delineate between actual needs, and luxuries.

I want to bone this post and give it a diamond ring.

VendaGoat fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 10, 2016

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

slap me silly posted:

Goddammit, don't make me start probating people for grillfighting in the housebitching thread

Did someone honestly report this poo poo? :laffo:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
The epitome of stealth. Using a chainsaw at night.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Breaking in my new grill today. Awwwwwww Yiiiiiissss!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

VendaGoat posted:

Breaking in my new grill today. Awwwwwww Yiiiiiissss!

I over did my steak by ten minutes. :downs:

Now I know for next time. :q:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

blackmet posted:

SOOO...I'll be driving my Civic for another winter. But we'll be cool in the summer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdMnZYPmYgI

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

I only mention it because a riding mower is totally overkill for .2 acres of lawn.

Yes.

It's a lawn mower guys, you're not buying a Ferrari.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I repurposed a personal helicopter into a lawn mower. Five minutes and I'm done with 2 acres.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Dazerbeams posted:

School district is appealing our property since we bought it last year. Anyone have experience with lawyering up in this situation?

The number one piece of advice I have heard is; "If you are wondering if you should consult a lawyer, the answer is 'yes'."

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

gently caress. I was just in the basement and found a big wet area in the carpet. We had a big storm about a week ago so I'm guessing it's from that.
1) What's the best way to dry it?
2) How do I track down where the water came in? It's not obvious at all from looking around - this spot borders two areas that are concrete, and both of those are dry. Nowhere else seems to be wet but it's a couple feet square of dampness. It doesn't smell like cat piss or anything that'd explain this.

Is the area anywhere near your air conditioner?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

Air conditioner is outside on a concrete platform, this is in the basement with a concrete floor and the main floor is also concrete (odd I know). I suspected the hot water heater that's a few feet away but don't see any moisture near it. It's possible it evaporated faster? I'm not sure how to check for that overflowing maybe just start the shower up and watch?

I'm sorry, let me rephrase. Is the cooling unit, which should be attached to your duct work, inside the house, near the area?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

The compressor right? No it's outside. This thing?

im pretty bummed because that was the one thing this house had going for it, no sign at all of water issues in the basement with half of it finished + carpeted. Man :I

You need a new canuter valve.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Eh, think of it this way. It's a wonderful excuse to buy a chainsaw. :black101:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

gvibes posted:

Is it at all correlated to when the A/C is running? There is condensation, and sometimes the drain gets clogged/leaks.

Like I said, he needs a new canuter valve.

Andy Dufresne posted:

I had this problem last year, flooding my closet and out onto the entryway. Luckily I was able to blow out the PVC drain with my lungs.

Yup

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

Ok I'll mention this again - canuter valve = snipe hunt, correct? I.e. you're giving joke advice? I didn't think that was a real thing.

And it definitely appears to be A/C related so service call time, come on baby free replacement of my 30 year old a/c unit :pray:

Correct.

The first reply to you about the cooling unit inside your duct work was the honest advice.

To burst your bubble further. It's probably just a clogged drain, which they will blow out, like the above poster said and everything will be fine again.

If it's still blowing cold air, it's functioning properly.

Edit: for clarity's sake.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

canyoneer posted:

One of our friends in the neighborhood got a visit from an A/C contractor in the area. I guess the company that used to service their unit got bought by another so they called down the list offering free A/C system diagnostics. Their system has been a little weak (not as bad as yours), and they're worrying that their 15 year old unit is about to go.

The guys helpfully diagnosed the problem that yep, it's going to go ANY DAY NOW and they should just get it replaced right away and we're running a special so it will be only $8,000 to get it done. Don't worry, we offer financing at 6.9%!
They told them thanks but no thanks.

Is that a real thing? Why would anyone replace their adequately functioning unit because they expect at some point in the future it won't be adequately functioning?

Because the A/C guy really needs to make a payment on his boat.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

I would also expect an older unit to consume more power, so maybe there's some savings to be had there to help justify it? No idea if that's accurate

Posting this to help you out.

My AC died in the middle of a heat wave, even with that as a variable, my bill, following the fix and installation, was cheaper then what I had paid before.

When you replace a major appliance, you have to take the long view. Yes, it's costing me this much up front, but, over such a span of time, the bills are cheaper then my previous unit.

I do not remember the exact date I had my AC replaced, but every month, since I had it done, Until This month, has been less electricity used.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

GameCube posted:

The house I bought is full of spiders. I realize that this means I need to take care of the bugs that are luring the spiders in, but I also need to get rid of all these loving spiders, because I cannot do any laundry or store anything in the basement until these loving spiders are gone. The Internet says to vacuum them up, but what do I do once I have a vacuum filled with a teeming mass of hairy legs and mandibles? Set it on fire?

Find a neighbor you don't like and release them on their house.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Full disclosure, never tried shark, but once I upgraded to a Dyson, from some k-mart or walmart brand, I noticed a marked difference.

Shark vs Dyson I can not comment.

Bargain bin vs Dyson, Dyson wins every loving time.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Yippee. Apparently no previous owner ever heard of primer so we were able to just peel off all the old paint down to the sheetrock. Neither I nor the painter have ever seen it before.

My previous owner spread caulk, along the entirety of the kitchen counters, six inches up the wall.

Let me tell you how happy I was when i had to redo it all!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

lwoodio posted:

I've been cockblocked from installing my own shower head by a literal metal dick. What the hell is this, there is no threading on it.

:stare: AHHAHAHHAHHAHAH

Turn it on and take a picture.

Be sure to stroke it a few times to prime the pump.

I bet it would work wonders as a bidet head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

I got the tiniest of all the weber spirits, and it's more than adequate for myself/family in the area. I have no idea who actually uses their mid or even top line stuff , unless you're hosting 100 people every weekend or something crazy.

Bought the mid size one.

I'd rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. :colbert: