Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

skipdogg posted:

I don’t know about the rest, but I personally really dislike Nest thermostats. I much prefer EcoBees.

I have a bunch of Amazon Echo devices, Samsung SmartThings, and various WiFi and zwave devices and I love it all. I get irritated when something isn’t Alexa enabled. Even my garage door opener is WiFi enabled/Smart.

:lol: Meanwhile, I take a sledgehammer to any device in my condo that makes a beep I don't recognize. :v: I'm pretty sure I have the last dumbphone and dumb-TV in the bay area.

Unrelated to the sledgehammer (I swear): I've discovered how much I hate kitchen appliance built-ins now that I'm trying to extract the microwave from all the cabinets built around it. The turntable is dying and making atrocious sounds whenever I turn it on, and now I have to get a replacement microwave that fits into a particular set of dimensions. *grumbles*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Motronic posted:

Yeah, that kind of thing makes sense to me. Not hue bulbs in all the cans in a room.

I know exactly one person who used the Hue bulbs as general things. He threw tons of (pre-pandemic) parties and would sync the lights to the music.

It was irritating as gently caress and I'm kind of glad the pandemic stopped it.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I wonder how much of the demand for Hue lights is from new owners who are fed up with years of living in apartments that had zero lights of any sort outside of the kitchen and overcompensate. :v: Having actual lights and light switches was one of the most amazing parts of buying a condo to me, TBH. I finally had overhead lighting and was moving up in the world!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I'm going to cover my house in those overpriced hexagonal LED panels they sell to gamers.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Can anyone refer me to a good resource for learning about speaker installations, etc, for surround sound stuff? My living room came pre-wired for 7:1 with a wall panel to the ceiling speaker panels, but I don't know anything beyond "rectangular ceiling ports with the wire connections in them" and want to learn more to eventually install stuff.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

Dropped toilet onto of wax seal (easier to put the seal on the toilet and guide it onto the bolts IMO)

For anyone else who ever does this: follow the parenthetical. Save yourself a lot of heartache and leaky seals, because it's loving hard to get that thing down without damaging the wax. You have to lower the thing basically straight down into place on it, and toilets aren't all that light. Been there, done that to every toilet in a 4BA before. Not fun.

That or have two other people - one to help you lower it, and the other to lie on the ground and help eyeball you into place. If you're doing it alone, definitely fit the seal first.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

devicenull posted:

Why does this thread always turn to talking about toilets? Is toilet replacement peak homeownership?

We're all massive fat-rear end goons who break toilets with our rock-hard cheetoshits or something?

(I have no idea.)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

This is life-changing.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

skipdogg posted:

Builder grade toilets are terrible. I’m seriously considering replacing all my toilets (vortens) and my house is not even 3 years old. Somehow my kids manage to clog the drat things constantly.

I’m ready to throw a weekend and several hundred dollars at these terrible things and replace them with something better

Which brings us to the thread's second favorite topic:

Which bidet model are you going to get? :haw:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Motronic posted:

No, it's one of those actually illegal things that can get the job stopped, the contractor and homeowner fined.

Inspections are there to help the property owner, who probably doesn't know poo poo about poo poo or it wouldn't be getting hired out to make sure that a job is done to a very minimum standard of workmanship and safety.

This.

Sure, there are things that shouldn't require a permit (or require only the most basic of reviews, maybe), like how my town requires a building permit for hanging even a temporary banner or painting the exterior of your building, but for every vaguely pointless thing like that (where I assume one fucker ruined it for everyone) you have an unpermitted garage addition get turned into an unpermitted bedroom which then isn't up to electrical code and then kills your kid in a fire.

Minus the fire part, that's basically only part of what was wrong with this property, as an example:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/1044-Montgomery-Ave-San-Bruno,-CA,-94066_rb/15488977_zpid/

Most of the pictures are gone now that it sold (for OVER LIST), but the garage door is an external decoration only now, because that garage is an un-permitted third bedroom with un-permitted electrical and plumbing work. The driveway remodel was done without permits as well, and the back yard is ENORMOUS for this area. Why is it so enormous? Well, because there was a 1,200 sqft extension on the back of it which was... you guessed it... un-permitted. The city made the previous owner tear it down, so he turned it into a yard and put in a gazebo and an above-ground pool, plus a dog run and what appeared to be chicken coops. It was also next to an auto-body shop, right on the edge of a residential/commercial zoning divide.

It listed for $799K and went for $850K in spite of all of that. :haw:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
A quick shout-out to the wonderful man at Home Depot who tried to tell me that sacrificial anodes in hot water heaters are irreplaceable and I need an entire new unit. :lol:

(They didn't sell any; I'm going to have to find somewhere else to get one.)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

ntan1 posted:

Of course, the reason FPE panels and breakers were recalled and a danger is that their breakers failed to trip.

How is it that everyone knows these things turned houses into death traps, they were recalled and replaced free-of-charge (IIRC?), no insurer will touch a place that has one, and yet it still feels like 75% of old houses on the market have FPE panels anyway? Did nobody bother getting rid of the loving things?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Blindeye posted:

Welp, the refrigerator broke. Probably a compressor failure. Oh well, it's not like I needed 1300 more dollars in my life.

Whoever said expect 2% of the home price in maintenance a year needs to be strangled. I've averaged 8% of the home's price in maintenance a year (admittedly not in a major US city, but still).

As a bay area resident, thank loving god it's not 8%. :v:

Is this your first year in the place, by any chance? I've noticed that most of my buddies who bought ended up with astronomical first-year maintenance costs once you added up all the things they wanted to change + all the things the previous owners hid / EOWL'd on them.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
On the topic of DIY home improvements/repairs, I've found it way the gently caress harder to get anything done now that I have a toddler around the place. Need to rip up the carpet to see what's going on with the weird floor spot? Not unless I can get it done during a single nap time, because it's right in the main area of the living room. Drilling holes? Only while she's awake and mom's around to keep an eye on her. Painting? Sure, but leave the paint unattended for even half a second and...

So on, so forth.

I might as well just put a wet floor sign over that spongy floor section and leave it until she goes to college. :v:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
"Good news, you can refinance to 2.875% with no points! Just the basic origination fee plus third party fees!"

"What's the origination fee?"

"Oh, we can talk about that later when--"

"What's the origination fee?"

"$6790."

*hangs up*

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Nice edit, but that’s encouraging.

And :v:

Edit: It’s crazy to me how expensive real estate in west Kansas is.

Where (roughly) in western Kansas? I used to live in the southwestern empty part. Clark County.

quote:

Just shelled out $3,700 for a closet door.

Is it made of solid gold?

I'm still poking around at refinancing and the origination fees are constantly hilarious to me. "NO POINTS!" seems to just mean "...but we'll charge you just as much for something else and call it an origination fee" from everyone I've talked to so far. Probably just going to stick with my 3.5% at this rate. 2.875% isn't worth >$7K in non-point closing costs for a condo.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Probably somewhere in the southern suburbs, between the zoo and Cherry Hills Village or so?

:v:

I guess that's what I get for not being specific on "roughly." :lol: Enjoy the flat and brown, and definitely enjoy I-70. It's been a long time, but I wonder if there is still the old billboard that reads "McDonalds, 100 miles ahead." I think that was put up just to break people's spirits.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

tater_salad posted:

I dunno what beforetimes you're discussing, maybe 3 years ago I haven't paid under 5 for a stud in a long rear end time

*flexes* Neither has your mother.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Where are you guys even finding Bosch 800's? I keep trying to find one to buy and they are out of stock everywhere.

I just looked it up on HomeDepot and it's in stock out here, but it's loving $2899. Jesus christ. :suicide: They list a $1500 rebate on it to bring it down to $1399, but gently caress.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Priority check:

My (tank) water heater is 11 years old, and the previous owners never once flushed it or changed the anode. The anode is firmly rusted into place so I can't even get it out. When I flushed it on move-in, I had plenty of brown sediment for 2-3 flushes. I've had to flush it again once in the last year when more brown water came back.

I called a plumber about the rusted-in anode, and his response was that sure, he could try to get it out but odds are the tank is on its last legs already. It'd cost "around $250" to get the rusted anode removed. (Bay area pricing, seems high to me but everything is high here.)

I'm thinking that instead of wasting $250 on a tank that is probably already near death, just trash the thing and replace with a tankless that I take proper care of in the first place. What are your thoughts, thread?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Oh right, I keep forgetting I live in the bay area in the middle of a pandemic. Two quotes so far for a 50gal hot water tank + labor + CA earthquake stuff: $3200, $3700. :wtc: If it didn't involve risk of killing my daughter and/or voiding my homeowners' insurance requirement that gas-related items be professionally installed, I'd actually try to do this myself at that price.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
$3528 later, I have hot water again. :suicide:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Zarin posted:

Makes you wonder if you should have considered the DIY option of an empty steel 55 gallon drum and some firewood, eh?

Edit: If it's good enough for Goku, it's good enough for me, yeah?

I washed my hair last night with water from an electric kettle. Give me my loving hot water heater.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Magicaljesus posted:

Out of curiosity, how much did the CA-specific add-ons contribute? That seems beyond excessive for anything less than a 50gal that also serves you premium espresso in the morning. Anti-tipping shouldn't be more than a few securely fastened straps tethered to something solid. If the home collapses from the earthquake, who cares about the water heater?

1 - 50 gal tank + power blower because of the condo's venting design. Probably California pricing involved here, given the cheapest 50gal I could find with power blower was like $1700.
2 - Replacing the gas piping because it wasn't sized to code.
3 - Replacing the rusted inlet pipe for the cold water and the rusted outlet pipe. Previous owners were some awful fucks.
4 - Putting in the leak-tray and drain for it, since it was currently leaking right into the garage
5 - Fixing the fume vent pipe, where we discovered that the power-blower was venting everything right into the ceiling without it actually connecting to the vent pipe.
6 - Replacing the not-to-code earthquake straps.
7 - 5 hours of labor at definitely California pricing
8 - +$250 permit fee

No quotes from anywhere came in under $3200, so there's definitely some California going on somewhere there..

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Pain of Mind posted:

Also in the bay area, but we had a 50 gal tank (no power blower) installed 4-5 years ago and it was like $600. We did not have nearly as many bullet points though. I am assuming all of those things substantially added to the price?

The base unit itself + powerblower was $1800, and that seemed comparable to online prices I saw for the same unit, so I'm guessing 4-5 yrs ago is a different era of pricing in general. But yeah, the other stuff added on $1500 plus $250 more for permits.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Pain of Mind posted:

I guess I underestimated how much the cost of some things could change over what feels like a relatively short period of time. I have lived in my current house for over 7 years yet mentally it feels equal in length to the various apartments we lived in for 1-2 years. "How can that thing be old, we just bought it when we moved in here".

Yeah, some of this poo poo got super pricey out of nowhere.

And also, one of my favorite price-tags ever from a different seller:

:lol:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I went to change out some dead/dying lightbulbs in my bathroom and discovered that they are GX24Q-3 sockets. For reference:

I can get those bulbs (and thankfully the previous owners left behind a large stash of them too), but I'm curious why these fuckers even exist. What's the point of this type of connector, when other CFLs with standard bases already exist? Why even install this type of socket?

Edit: It's just in the bathroom, too. The rest of the house is standard bulbs.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Qwijib0 posted:

The ballast is in the fixture not the bulb, those predate miniaturization of electronic ballasts that can go in the base of a screw in, and the fixtures themselves were likely an energy efficiency requirement since bathroom lights are the most likely to be left on

Ahh, that makes sense. Thanks.

If my stash gets used up before I move out, I may bite the bullet and replace the sockets. For now, though, I have 10 of the bulbs in a box in the closet.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Any idea what kind of contractor I should call to replace a rotting section of subfloor beneath a carpet when I need it done quickly and correctly, while I keep a toddler out of the construction zone? :negative:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Motronic posted:

I mean....they do. Metal roofs are a thing.

I lived in Panama for about two years and we had a metal roof. During the rainy season, you just couldn't talk to anyone inside until the downpour stopped because it was impossibly loud.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Material shortages strike again...the reclaimed wood table I ordered off Etsy in March is now coming mid-July (maybe) instead of now. Sigh.

Still about a month out from the projected completion of our closet doors and Murphy bed, but I'm hoping they won't be too delayed. We are not working with actual wood with those, I think, probably just MDF, so hopefully they'll be more on track.

I'm hoping to have my mom visit before fire season starts, and we at least need the bed before then, or else it's a hotel for mom. Which, really, is not a bad idea.

How does a reclaimed wood table have a material shortage? :confused:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

PageMaster posted:

Is there a trade/crafts name for grouting? What would I search by ('lixensed xxx')?

:pray: Please god let it be a licensed groot. :pray:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Location is NYC and I’m not familiar with code here, I’ll have to see if I can find out.

Luckily, that is not a wall! It’s a false quarter wall that sticks perpendicular to the actual wall, as a ~4” separator between a countertop and an oven (guess which side the valve is on :v:) for an illegal basement apartment! Obv we do not have a tenant there, and have no plans to.

Just a quick warning, since local code and zoning varies so much from place to place: My grandparents lived out in Queens, and when they had an inspector come in to check out electrical work in their kitchen, the guy observed that they technically had part of the house built out into a semi-separate unit. They had done it because their daughter and her kids lived at home - it was a multi-generational household, so they put in a few extras so she could have some privacy and semblance of independent life. Regardless of who lived there, this was technically illegal because the area wasn't zoned for multi-family housing. SFH only, and multi-generationals had to have no separate facilities. One kitchen only, one dining room, no duplicated utilities, etc.

What started as "fix the kitchen wiring" turned into "remodel everything to remove all separations in the house and rip out the appliances in the half-kitchen too."

Just wanted to give fair warning if you have stuff get inspected. I don't know how your town works, but keep that in mind as a potential risk.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Insulating and weatherproofing a 800 sq ft attic is absolutely something I should do myself and not pay a couple grand for someone else to do, right? The current insulation is shallow, loosely scattered, and old.

How old? :haw:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Original theory: The home inspector on my condo purchase was either blind, stupid, or paid off by the seller's agent.

New theory: The home inspector on my condo purchase was blind, stupid, and paid off by the seller's agent.

The poo poo he marked all ended up being quick and in some cases $0.00 repairs, while he 'missed' a problem with the stairs, a soft spot in the floor, cracks in the bathroom ceiling from incorrect type of paint in a humid environment, the water heater being rusted out and trashworthy, and that the pressurization of the entire unit is off so that opening a door anywhere in the entire place rattles all the other doors.

Definitely gonna keep this guy on speed-dial for when it's my time to sell. :v:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I install one giant circular blade and let it slice salami for me too.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

Soooo, electrical tape on my nuts or no? Need answers quickly.

Just don't twist them first. Testicular torsion is a bitch.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Yeah, this was fun to laugh at, but it's like 3 pages long now. Let's knock it off and all go drink beer / electrocute ourselves as we each feel appropriate.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I'm looking again at refinancing since my 3.5% is so hilariously high right now compared to current rates. Better has a 2.875% that costs me $358 in points (lol) plus the standard closing costs. However, there is one spot I have some concern: In their loan disclosure, they state that they absolutely will sell off the loan, and that they absolutely will not service the loan afterward. I'm currently with Rocket Mortgage, whose online loan service panel is actually pretty danged good and convenient to work with. Even though they sold the loan off pronto, they kept all the servicing in one spot and have been easy to work with about that.

Do I assume there's no real way for me to figure out who Better is going to sell my loan to, and therefore no way to tell whether I'm going to get some fucker who makes it as hard as possible to work with them? $200 per month cost reduction probably isn't worth the potential headaches of a bullshit servicer, especially when it's unlikely I'll live here in ten years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Yeah, I expect that someone will take it and it'll be a web portal. I'm just skittish because I've had a very very bad student loan servicer in the past before I paid everything off, and they made it as hard as they possibly could to actually make a payment. It's one thing to deal with Citibank on a $2K student loan, it's another thing to deal with that on a $650K mortgage where my house can actually be repossessed. (For perspective's sake, it was 2003 and they required payment in person by check at a branch; I couldn't even mail the loving thing to them. I borrowed money from my family to pay it off in one lump just so I could stop dealing with that.)