Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Beef Of Ages posted:

Homeowners: If I call in a professional now, the house wins

Beautiful.

Cyrano4747 posted:

We found...

...It’s almost certainly...

Did you? Did you really find the leak? :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

phosdex posted:

Do you all like front doors with windows in them? I am not a fan, I prefer privacy.

I prefer a screen door or glass-paneled storm door over the main front door if I have a choice. (I don't. Front door design + color list are dictated by HOA for my condo, and they do not include windows or storm doors as options.)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hadlock posted:

What is best practice for tree house construction. I have two, soon to be three nephews under six and a pair of mature redwoods 10' apart begging for a rope bridge between them. Seems like it would get at least moderate use

Like everything else on Google, searching an SEO optimized term like "tree house brackets" yields an unflinching morass of poo poo SEO results

I looked into this about 10 years ago and some guys were selling custom parts for this but looks like you can even buy stuff on Amazon these days

The best practice is to throw your homeowner's insurance a going-away party.

>>but looks like you can even buy stuff on Amazon these days

And definitely don't buy those.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Good news: my HOA is finally going to fix the cracked stucco on my exterior and bring the attic up to code.

Bad news: I’m scheduled for 2026. :v:

(Assumed worst news: watch the budget for the repair get reallocated in 2025.)

It’s part of the builders remedy lawsuit, but the rollout is a combined weighting of who reported their issues first and “other side of the development, south to north” starting point. Since the previous owners didn’t disclose the lawsuit, we didn’t know about it (to run for the hills), and also they didn’t put their unit into the list of damages. We did that when we purchased, so it was pretty late in the process.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 13, 2024

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Can I get a sanity check here on water usage? 3BR condo, no yard.

2 adults + 1 kid. 2 baths and probably 10 showers between the three of us per week. 5-6 load of laundry, plus let's say ~4 dishwasher loads per week. Efficient front-loader for the washing machine, and a low-water-usage bosch dishwasher. Standard toilet stuff, no other major water usage except for cooking and drinking.

121 gallons per day, average. Does that seem in-line with other people's usages? There's no comparator in our billing to see how we do vs neighbors, and I know a lot of our neighboring units are empty right now anyway.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hotel Kpro posted:

Up to three now, the fridge tripped its breaker

Deep breaths and remember the saying: These things come in threes lol no they're infinite.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Ashcans posted:

Well, not as hard as getting it off the cat.

So use cats to strip the floors. Gotcha.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hadlock posted:

The Internet says I can get a skylight installed for $2500

I have a saw and will do it for you for $250.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

brugroffil posted:

: Grand Designs theme song begins playing:

I never could get over the host’s poured-cement fetish.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Do you have a hole saw?

When you really want a hole, everything looks like a saw.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Holed my beer.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I know Hadlock is talking about "a whole gently caress of Kallax items" given he said 25 storage containers, but I'm still :lol:ing at the mental image of someone struggling with a single Kallax shelf for 6 hours. "BUT WHERE DO THE 12 IDENTICAL BOLTS GO?"

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Any advice on fixing kitchen cabinet molding that was held on by, like, a single straight metal staple and dreams? I fell off a ladder last week, instinctively grabbed the top molding to break my fall, and it came right off in my hands. Flimsy as gently caress.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Well like half that time was the 45 minutes each way to IKEA, probably that much time at the store finding all the accessories etc plus loading and unloading it from our sedan which it just barely fit in is three hours right there. It's big enough (6x6') you need to clear a large area to put it together on it's side too, which, given we didn't get toy shelving before this, was a struggle

Plus dealing with a 3 year old who is intensely interested in the shelf you bought to store all their toys "is this FOR ME?" *picks up a handful of irreplaceable IKEA specific parts*

Oh I totally get it. It was just the mental image. I assembled a low loft/trundle combo bed for my kid just before she turned four, and keeping her out of the way was intensely challenging. It was a Wayfair bed, which gave me a new appreciation for how good IKEA's instructions really are (as far as flat-pack goes, at least).

And now she wants to sleep in the pulled out trundle portion every night because OF COURSE SHE DOES.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Molding isn't structural, it should be held on by enough fasteners to keep it tidy, and not much more than that. You may want to take it down at some point, and you don't want to have to rip the cabinets out to do that (which you would need to do if you used adhesives).

Get some finishing nails and a nail set, this is what they're for.

Thanks - I'll grab some and take a look. If I take them down, it'll look like poo poo because it has this weird angled bevel on where it's installed (which is why wood glue or epoxy was going to be challenging - it'll have to be held by hand until it dries), and without the piece there, you can see a nice stripe of unfinished LDF there.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I have a weird bathroom sink in my condo. It is, by distance, the closest in the house to the hot water heater but takes almost 5 minutes to warm up, while every other faucet (including the ones in the bathroom another floor up from this one) warm up in < 2 minutes.

I don't even know what the gently caress. :lol:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

2 minutes to hot water still sounds insanely high :psyduck:

I'll time it and see if I'm over-exaggerating the 2 min. I've timed the downstairs one and it's over 5 min, but the upstairs may be shorter. The kitchen is really fast, but the bathrooms are all a good bit longer.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

Costs more but yes they'll take away the old ones, definitely tell the rep at time of sale

Edit: seconding Costco, I've had to have service for a stove before and it was extremely easy through them

I did Costco and it was fine, except when they call to schedule, keep reminding them that they're doing a haul-away as well. Even then, expect them to forget to tell the crew and have to reschedule by a day or two as a result. The folks on the ground did a great job, but nobody told them poo poo from corporate. Also, they sent far too many people, so consider that for how you want to handle tips. On my rescheduled day for washer+dryer install + haul-away, two trucks and 9 people showed up.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Democratic Pirate posted:

Today was housekeeping day aka the #1 best investment we make in our home. She cleans 10am - 3pm; with our schedule as parents, DIY deep cleaning would be 10pm - 3am with lesser results.

Is that affordable where you are? Housekeeping services around me run $250-$350 per cleaning, depending on what you ask for. It feels like a ton of money for 3-5 hours. I just assumed (at least in the SF bay area) it's a rich people only sort of thing, like having someone wash your windows.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
If it's an electric wire you're supposed to remove it with an electric chainsaw.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Safety squirrel would like to remind you those cables are carrying a (pretty safe) voltage of 30-50v before you start cutting them with scissors. It's probably inconsequential but just FYI

There's some tutorials out there on how to charge your cell phone from a POTS line in an emergency using a $0.12 voltage converter chip from, wherever you buy that stuff, now that RadioShack is gone

That's why you protect yourself by keeping at least 18" of electric chainsaw between yourself and the wires at all times.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Auto —> Air Dry —> Start —> Shut door.

Perfectly good for 99% of dishes, including pots and pans. :v:

My one learning point is to not overload the top rack in the front, because there is a safety interlock in the back that can disengage under flex. It is not intuitive to deal with the various troubleshooting lights.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Democratic Pirate posted:

Vulnerably, I also learned that cleaning the filters at the bottom is a good first of the month chore. Letting it go for a year+ is a gross oversight to make.

I learned this also, but it's more that I learned from doing so that my wife and I have drastically different interpretations of what the instruction manual meant when it said to not pre-wash the dishes before adding them. She was just putting plates with, like, toddler chicken nuggets and stuff into the washer without scraping anything first. :wtc:

Like, no poo poo it isn't making green beans literally disappear, honey.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hadlock posted:

I dunno if I have enough patience to stare at a blinking clock that long every time I start the dishes

Total process takes literally 1-2 seconds. He's demonstrating it nice and slowly for the video.

There are a few odd little features with the washer that take time to get used to. Like, checking a light on the floor to make sure your washer started because it's too quiet for you to hear it over the voices in your head, knowing that the clock not blinking means it's all set, etc. Still a fabulous machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Sorry. I sometimes can't tell with you. :v: