Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

moana posted:

help! a leak appears!

The connector got bumped loose (a few days ago, I think). The water soaked all the way to both sides but not to the back. Wrecked the bottom ply (you can see it's all warped) and went up the sides a little bit.

I've got a fan on it now. Will I need to replace the bottom board or just dry it out, you think?

Hey leak buddy! Just had a similar thing happen. We caught it reasonably quick, but I had particle board that was still original, and based on how rusty the fasteners holding it in were, this wasn't the first time it has seen moisture, so it's gone now. Fortunately the moisture hadn't really made it down to the underlayment that is on top of the subfloor. Bonus ancient rat nest, one day I'll stop finding them....:smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The plumber strongly recommended Kohler; is American Standard as good?

Spend the money, buy a Toto, never plunge a toilet again :hai:

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Best thing I ever did was buy more commercial oriented, sealed outdoor LED lights, with screw together, o-ring sealed plugs between strands. About 7 years in and haven't had a single bulb or strand fail, compared to the almost annual replacement of normal strands.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

moana posted:

Link to some good ones?

I believe these are what I have link

There may be better options out there, but I have been happy with those for 8 years at this point.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Hadlock posted:

In California I think, everyone pays like, $0.15/kWh up to 400, then $0.20 up to 900 and then $0.25; over 900. Very round numbers in this example obviously

HAHAHAHA not even close! Around 10 years ago maybe, but not even close now. Current PGE E-1 plan tiers:

I can't even get below the mid $0.20s on the EV-1 TOU plan (currently $0.24 Off Peak).

But to contribute to the actual discussion, holy hell that is a lot of power. We used 1,487 kWh last cycle (roughly same setup but in a smaller house, gas heating [so house size/winter climate really shouldn't matter appreciably], same number of electric vs. gas appliances, similar number of computers [minus an ancient supermicro], networking + UPS, trickle charger on an old truck, etc). No well pump I guess, but the big difference is we have 2 EVs, that were responsible for 640 of those kWh last cycle. So yeah, your usage is a huge standout.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 6, 2023

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Shifty Pony posted:

Crawlspace looks fantastic now, no more sagging fiberglass batts so I can clean up the random coax runs and such.

Hell yeah! Encapsulating my crawlspace was one of the best things we did and wish I had done it when we first bought. Going into your crawlspace in shorts and a t shirt and coming out clean is a godsend compared to coveralls and coming out covered in mud.

Unfortunately our liner has gotten a bit torn up from having all our ducts replaced and our foundation underpinned, so it isn't as perfect as it used to be. But still beats dirt/mud.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Qwijib0 posted:

Paintchat, for southwest-dwellers, Dunn Edwards also makes excellent paint with solids % equivalent to the premium national brands, but it tends to run a bit cheaper.

Dunn-Edwards also exists in CA as well as the south-west, and it is up there with Benjamin Moore in terms of my go-to brands for good paint.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
I have finally passed the critical mass of fluorescent tubes out in my garage that I want to go ahead and replace them all with LED tubes. Two questions:

- Do I go ballast compatible or bypass? I am thinking bypass just because in my mind it eliminates one more thing to fail, even if it comes with an extremely minor amount of wiring in each fixture to do the bypass
- Does anyone have a good brand for LED tubes? I need 4ft T8s.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

StormDrain posted:

What kind of fixtures are they? Is this just a bunch of shop lights screwed to the ceiling and plugged into ceiling outlets? If so you may consider just swapping the whole fixture. Your questions indicate that you've done the research but perhaps overlooked the obvious solution.

https://www.costco.com/feit-4000-lumen-shop-light%2c-2-pack.product.4000101066.html

I bought five packs of these last year for my garage and basement and I'm a big fan.

Mine are all dual-bulb fixtures hardwired in via romex, so no dice. Thanks though!

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Alright, after 13 years of strong service, our dryer is making some funny noises intermittently. Kenmore Elite gas dryer 796.9102 - which I'm pretty sure is a re-branded LG of some sort.

This album should have two videos with audio, the first is the new sound it is making intermittently during a cycle, the bottom is how quiet it normally is:

https://imgur.com/a/IX0linr

Is this a bearing for the drum going bad or something? The noise seems to generally be coming from the rear of the unit. Any other thoughts? I'm comfortable trying to fix it myself but want to know roughly how I should further narrow down what part might need replacement. I've done a lot of work on houses, but dryers are not something I've had to tinker with in the past.

Thanks in advance goons!

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Motronic posted:

Sounds like it's one of the many noises made by the thing I've had to replace multiple times on my LG dryer: "Drum Support Bearings". I bought some off of amazon that didn't make it even a year, then did the job again with actual LG replacement parts at twice the price and it's been good for a couple years now.

https://www.appliancepartspros.com/lg-roller-assembly-4581el2002h-ap6985402.html That's where I got mine. That might be the right ones for yours, but double check before ordering. I'm just pulling that out of my purchase history.

Thanks! That was kind of my suspicion based on some cursory searching and everyone saying they seem to fail between 8-12 years in. Ordered four new rollers for my unit - replacement seems pretty straightforward once I unstack the dryer and get it on the floor. The only hard part will be finagling the vent back together when I'm done.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Hotel Kpro posted:

Up to three now, the fridge tripped its breaker

Arc fault breaker by chance? Fridges can trip those on start-up sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Motronic posted:

Sounds like it's one of the many noises made by the thing I've had to replace multiple times on my LG dryer: "Drum Support Bearings". I bought some off of amazon that didn't make it even a year, then did the job again with actual LG replacement parts at twice the price and it's been good for a couple years now.

Bingo!

This one was completely seized, and a second was pretty difficult to turn and developing a flat spot. Replaced the idler arm and belt while I was at it, and vacuumed about 10 pounds of lint and dust out of the chassis. Whisper quiet now. Thanks!