Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have a local Google Voice number set to DND that’s perfect for giving out when getting quotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ugh not looking forward to replacing the A/C on my 4200 sq. ft. house some day

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

You mean your compound?

I hate this giant mcmansion and it's $600 electric bills every day but I'm here for the foreseeable future.

Don't buy a giant house kids, even if it's the same prices as other, smaller homes.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

HEY NONG MAN posted:

What do you even use 4000 sq ft for? Do you have six kids?

2 kids but my wife's mother and brother live with us too. It's 5 bedrooms but also has these open spaces like a "formal dining room", "family room" and "bonus room". The bonus room is just a 6th bedroom where if you paid the builder more money they would put up a wall and and closet doors.

We came from an 1100sq. ft. , 3/1 house where my wife was one of 6 kids so we probably overacted but it had the location we liked and it was bank owned so it was about the same price as the other places we were looking at anyways.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm curious what the layouts are of these houses now. I grew up in a house that was, if I recall correctly, around 2000 sqft, and I had two siblings. I know that noise grows exponentially with the number of kids, but does the fourth really need an extra 1200 sqft?

It's basically just a big, 50' square box with an "open concept". That another thing we've grown to dislike about the house, it's just square all over.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

drat. That hallway downstairs that goes to the one downstairs bedroom is a complete waste of space, given the BR could just have a door into the family room. And upstairs, most of the central "loft" space is equally wasted, and why two bathrooms for three bedrooms, and the master bath is ridiculously huge. The central location of the stairs makes a lot of that poor layout necessary and probably also ruins a lot of the open concept-ness of the downstairs, since it blocks the sightlines between the family room and the dining room. Having the bathrooms all separated by bedrooms means every bedroom gets to listen to people shower, and all the plumbing is much more expensive than it had to be becuase there's no single "wet wall" shared between bathrooms to centralize water and drainage.

I'm sorry about your terrible mcmansion.

Yeah it's typical 2005 housing boom crap.

I think in the future I want to turn the loft into a 6th bedroom and move the laundry room upstairs next to the right hand bathroom. This will let us turn the exiting laundry into a walk-in closet and expand the downstairs bedroom out a bit.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jose Valasquez posted:

I agree that having laundry upstairs is nice, but keep in mind that a washer is a big thing full of water and like all big things full of water it will eventually leak. This is usually more of a problem on the second floor than the ground floor.

Most of the houses we looked at with second story laundry rooms have these big basins the machines sit in that drain any leaking water if the worst happens.

Probably won't do any good for catastrophic failures though.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Are washer drains allowed to be undersized to the extent that they couldn't drain the water fast enough? That seems crazy. If you had a completely full top load washer that suddenly released all of its water I could see the issue, but beyond that aren't you just leaking water into a drain?

Yeah, that was kind of my point. I've never lived in a house with a drain pan but my understanding is they're fine for leaks but if it dumped a full load you're screwed whether you have it or not.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

I know we haven't seen any pictures of the exterior or interior but based on the completely bizarre layout I'm 99% certain this house belongs on mcmansionhell (or belonged there after it was first built, at least; a lot of that fake-facade bad-design stuff can be fixed with remodeling)

What's the deal with the bedroom/bathroom in the upper left corner of the second floor? Is that really just one huge L-shaped room with a shitter in it? Also loving how the bathrooms don't even stack vertically, they are as far away from each other as possible because I guess the contractor doing the plumbing was good friends with the architect?

It’s SoCal so it’s just boring beige stucco on the outside.

The interior walls I just drew myself on that pic so they don’t really line up correctly. We have pex so most all of the water lines run through the attic anyways.

The master bed/bath has walls I forgot to draw. It’s got a shower, separate tub, 2 vanities, a shitter in it’s own room and a walk in closet.

Our city is only 8 years old and our city hall is in a strip mall next to a gamestop and a nestle toll house cookie store.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 20, 2018

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SpartanIvy posted:

In other news Zillow seems to hate my house now. It's zestimate has dropped $10K in the month I've owned it :rip:

My house is listed twice in Zillow. One listing has the city the house is actually in. One listing has the city that the Zip code mostly belongs to (it overlaps multiple cities).

Zillow gives these two listings a $150k disparity even though every other feature is the same.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

12kw solar system is still pretty big. We have an 8.5kwh system which is 33 panels. Our house is 4200 sq. ft. and our electric bills before solar where $600.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

How much did the solar system cost, and what are your electric bills now (I assume lower, but not zero)?

I'm in CA. I ended up with a lease instead of buying outright but I still have the option to pay for it at the end of the lease. At the time I paid nothing upfront and got a $1k signing bonus. I pay about $200/mo for the system which was what my lowest bills were in the winter. Company is responsible for all maintenance and they've replaced the inverter once.

I got the system about 5 years ago. I'm going to end up paying more for the system in the long run but I'll still end up saving money in the long run. Lease is for 20 years.
If I were to do it now I would probably do what my neighbors did: take some cash out from a refi or heloc, go to https://www.wholesalesolar.com/grid-tie-packages and get a complete solar kit and call up an installer to put it up.

Here's what my summer bills were before:

Now I'm on a yearly billing cycle and pay SCE around $300-$400 once a year for net usage.ca

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 1, 2018

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jose Valasquez posted:

Hope you never have to/want to move

I'm not planning on it but if I do solar is super common around here so it's not something new buyers would be unfamiliar with.

If they won't assume the lease I can buy our the contract with the proceeds too.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Zelle has zero chargebacks or any recourse for reclaiming payments so keep that in mind.

It's 100% legit app but its intended purpose is small, quick payments between friends and family like when splitting a check.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Droo posted:

I think you are forgetting that people are terrible.

The other day someone told me how stupid her boyfriend was because he didn't even know where the recycling was in their apartment complex, but she doesn't use it anyway because it's like 300 feet further than the garbage and she's not going to walk that far.

That's the length of a football field, I wouldn't walk that far either

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Nextdoor is good to dunk on your paranoid neighbors who refuse to answer doorbells and question why a solicitor would wear a hat if they weren’t actually a robber casing your house

Also just follow this account http://www.twitter.com/bestofnextdoor

https://twitter.com/bestofnextdoor/status/1026309145966723072?s=21

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 11, 2018

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Hello M'Closet

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

opengl128 posted:

For starters the TV mount is way too high. It should be at eye level when you're sitting down.

Medullah posted:

My dad loves mounting his TV as high as possible. Like a hospital waiting room.

It is eye level when you're fully laid out in dad's recliner

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

pretty sure the idea is not having a fire going while the tv is pulled down

should be fine

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

water coming out of my light switch today. loving rad.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

Is this code?

The switches were in the off position so at a minimum something wasn’t wired right.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Running the air conditioner 24/7 for 30 years is less expensive than new windows, mind you.

(environmental impact and increased home value might make it worth it, though)

Mmmmm, not necessarily true in SoCal where the price of electricity can get pretty high.

(that was a few years ago, some tiers are over 40 cents now.)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

joepinetree posted:

On a related note, is consumer reports testing worth anything? I've been looking for any sort of concrete data on this and they claim to have it, but behind a paywall.

This isn't relevant to your particular post anymore but my local library has the past 3 years of all CR magazines and books available to browse through. If you have a library card, check that out first!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone know how to find a good air conditioner and installer for a townhouse condo in Los Angeles? My natural instinct is to go to Costco but I wanted to see if there’s anything better

Just a heads up, due to the whole lockdown thing a lot of HVAC installers and getting slammed with commercial jobs that are taking advantage of empty offices. Installers are in high demand so it may be hard/expensive to get a bid for your smaller job right now.

My HVAC buddy is overbidding on jobs just so he doesn't have to do them but they keep biting on them anyways.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Those boob lights are like $9, it really shouldn't be a big issue for your landlord to replace but that's all up to how lazy he is.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Gonna have to remember this for the next remodel

https://twitter.com/it_meirl_bot/status/1260793467598299139?s=21

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

joepinetree posted:

Update on this:

Had 5 different companies do consultations or virtual consultations on this. Quoted prices have ranged from 4k to 15k for a wardrobe that looks pretty much the same as the pax system we priced out at 2k (24 inches deep, 4 sections of which 2 are for hanging clothes and 2 are half drawers half shelving). Now if only Ikea would open up again...

IKEA started doing curbside pickup if you know what you want and it's off the shelf stuff.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

So, in non-summer it’s 17 cents base, in summer it’s 23 cents base, and (in summer) its 43 cents above 1500kwh?

I’m also SCE, here were my bills before summer. The tiers are condensed but also more expensive now.

My house was built in 2005 so insulation and windows were fine.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Is that usage + distribution? Or just distribution?

Here they recently condensed us into 3 tiers and still have rolling blackouts.

Both. This was several years ago, I'm not sure what the tiers looks like now. This was back when I was doing the numbers on solar.

Our section of SCE generation swapped out to one of those Community Choice Aggregation utilities last month that saved a couple bucks.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Couple small niceties that people often overlook while focusing on the big tool poo poo.

• Nice shop vac
  • Headlamp
  • Level
  • Magnetic stud finder
  • Rubber mallet
  • Extension cords
  • Simple tool bag/box
  • Non-contact voltage tester

Home depot has sales on all the power tools right now for July 4th as well so good time to upgrade those if you want.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Oh yeah, don't overlook the safety stuff. A nice set of work gloves (and a crappy pair for demo/yard stuff), some impact glasses and reusable earplug or earmuffs are some of the best investments you can make for the future.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

When I had to buy a new fridge recently and I went with a combination of Wirecutter, Consumer Reports (just browse one at the library, don't get a subscription) and browsing though appliance repair forums. There's 2 or three forums where appliance repair guys hang out and they always seem have certain opinions on brands.Take them with a grain of salt because a lot of them are hyperbolic as gently caress, but you can kinds see trends.

I ended getting a Whirlpool simple, side door fridge to replace our LG French Door that crapped out. French Door is nice but it adds so much complexity that it wasn't worth it for me.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

tumblr hype man posted:

I seem to recall Speed Queen washers and dryers being well respected? Maybe it was here, maybe it was the post your recent purchase thread? I dunno, my parents always bought the old refurbished work horse stuff that was probably older than I am. I’m a renter so I just use the cheap combo piece of poo poo my landlord put in.

Speed Queens are some the best washers you can (they are built for laundromats after all) buy but they absolutely guzzle water and power, they are not HE at all. They made a change a couple years ago to bring them in line with the HE appliance mandates and their washing ability went to poo poo. They the re-engineered it again and basically exploited a loophole where they can still use a ton of water but still be classified as "HE".

quote:

And then there’s the Speed Queen Classic TC5, which we did test. This is the machine that Speed Queen is famous for: It has been in production largely unchanged since the early 1980s, and in the 2010s it took on cult status as the only old-school washer left standing, made to last for decades, often using more water per cycle than you could drink in a month, while pounding the dirt out of your clothes with a violent corkscrew agitator.

The design was discontinued for residential sales in 2018 because it didn’t meet the updated Department of Energy efficiency standards (though Speed Queen continued to produce it for laundromats). It was a sad time for fans of old-school washing machines.

But it’s back for 2019, baby! In the words of Speed Queen’s VP of home sales Jay McDonald, Speed Queen “found a loophole” in the regulations that allowed the company to reintroduce it in its classic form, with some minor modifications to the settings.

Washer efficiency, in the eyes of the Department of Energy, is determined almost entirely by the Normal cycle. To measure efficiency, the Department of Energy takes a weighted average of the water and energy use of all the temperature settings and other options that might affect things, such as the cycle time, spin speed, and water use. It doesn’t look at the water or energy use on other settings, like Heavy Duty, regardless of how inefficient they might be.

So essentially, Speed Queen created a Normal cycle that (most of the time) is so purposefully stingy with water and energy that it allows the TC5 to meet the efficiency regulations—even though it also has a Deep Fill option that fills the entire 24-gallon tub to the brim, and even though the Heavy Duty and Permanent Press cycles use more water and higher temperatures on the Hot setting. These other options are Speed Queen’s defining traits, and popular features among people who prefer this old-school-style washer (even though there’s a ton of evidence to prove that efficient washers are usually much better at removing stains and preventing fabric damage than the washers that use the most water).

According to McDonald, people jokingly referred to that Normal cycle as the “Department of Energy cycle” when it was under development. It’s labeled as Normal Eco cycle on the final version of the TC5, which McDonald said was meant to signal to owners that it might not work as well as a typical Normal cycle.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/speed-queen-review/

You can get washers that perform very close to Speed Queens with a fraction of the water and power usage but if you want the absolute best performance then yeah, Speed Queen is it.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 28, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MrYenko posted:

I replaced a matched pair of Samsung front loads with an almost-matched pair of Whirlpool front loads. (The washer died a year after the drier, and whirlpool updated the line in the meantime.)

When I spoke to the appliance guy that came out for the Samsung dryer, he mentioned that they’re mostly nice machines hamstrung by a couple of questionable cost-engineering choices. I asked him what he works on the least, and without hesitation replied that he really likes Whirlpool machinery. The Samsungs came with the house and were real pretty, but didn’t last five years. Complete junk.

I’m feeling the same way. I’m on my 3rd fridge in 10 years and the Samsung/LG stuff is super nice but they make way too many parts non-replaceable for me to keep buying them. I also heard good things about Whirlpool (and Frigidaire surprisingly if you need super basic) and have been happy with our new fridge thus far.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

joepinetree posted:

I think that this whole thing about samsung depends on the segment that you are talking about.
For compact washer and dryers samsung tends to have a much better reputation and reliability than whirlpool, LG, GE and electrolux. Only Miele and Bosch tend to be rated higher, but neither offer vented compact dryers.

It really does, some of the appliance manufacturers have found their niche.
LG and Samsung do really well on Front Loaders but not on top loaders, Bosch is the king of dishwashers, etc...

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The rats own the house now, sorry

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

What’s your question? Yes, they will be on sale.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

I love it. Makes it way easier. One autopaid bill per month. Why worry about remembering to mail in those stubs twice a year when Wells Fargo can do it for me and pay me a statutory 2% interest?

Yeah I don't see how having a flat monthly bill every month that doesn't change would make planning for expenses more difficult.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

kw0134 posted:

For fiscally responsible people it's a nuisance. For people who'd as likely spend the money instead of budgeting it properly then it's better to have a smaller lump sum that is a surprise than the huge lump sum of the whole tax bill they haven't been actively socking away for and "surprising" them.

If every month I have 1/12 of my tax bill going into escrow or 1/12 budgeted into my savings what difference does it make? Why does having an escrow make someone fiscally responsible or not?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Basically everyone who is riding out the pandemic OK has a pile of money from vacations they can't take and they're looking at the same dumb issue in their house they meant to get fixed years ago. There's also another group of people taking advantage of generational low interest rates to refinance, take some cash out and do that big project they always wanted to do.

It's a great time to be a contractor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Are there any apps or sites that can pull historical zestimate or Redfin estimate date over time?

The prognostications are always so inflated and bizarre that I'm curious if anyone has thought to catalog it as it changes.

The historical estimates are on the house listings already although they only go back 5 years in Redfin's case. Zillow is pretty complete though.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 7, 2020