Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

two_step
Sep 2, 2011

cowofwar posted:

I'm getting bumped in to the 100s every night now so I need a better arena squad. Currently running dooku/lum/poggle/ig86/qgj

Help me pick a better squad:

Poggle
Lum
Barriss
Savage
Eeth
Qgj
Kylo
Sid
Dooku
Ig86
Jc
Phasma
Asajj
Ahsoka

Chewie
Yoda
Ig88
Rp
Biggs

Obi
Daka
Vader
GS

No RG? I am running Dooku (6*)/Lumi (7*)/QGJ (7*)/RG (5*)/GS (7*) and I stay in the top 30 or so mostly. I need to get everyone up to 7*, RG is close to 6*, but I am trying to get a Yoda team together. I think I might switch out Daka for Lumi once I get my Daka at 7 and leveled up too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

two_step posted:

No RG? I am running Dooku (6*)/Lumi (7*)/QGJ (7*)/RG (5*)/GS (7*) and I stay in the top 30 or so mostly. I need to get everyone up to 7*, RG is close to 6*, but I am trying to get a Yoda team together. I think I might switch out Daka for Lumi once I get my Daka at 7 and leveled up too.
I made the mistake of not working on my tanks and am behind on them. RG is 4*, Poe is 3*, ST Han almost unlocked.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

cowofwar posted:

I'm getting bumped in to the 100s every night now so I need a better arena squad. Currently running dooku/lum/poggle/ig86/qgj

Poggle and IG-86 are dragging you down - they're both really synergy-based characters, and putting them on a squad with one total droid and one total Geonosian is a half measure. In terms of temporary replacements, I'd go with Phasma and Kylo, maybe Phasma and Ahsoka. If you do the latter, use QGJ as your leader, such that Phasma is your slowest member and she gets to fill up everyone's turn meter after they've taken their QGJ-boosted first turn. That way you get a super-fast double alpha strike that should be able to kill off one or two enemies and leave you with smooth sailing

As two_step mentioned, RG is really good and you should focus him. Also focus Rey - buy her in the guild shop whenever she's available. The setups I recommended are a little weak on defense so you might still get knocked down a fair amount, but they should perform better than what you're currently running and give you some very clean offensive victories

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I wish i didnt start playing at launch because my arena shard is hilariously whaley. Like the top 50 spots are all insane.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Jerkface posted:

I wish i didnt start playing at launch because my arena shard is hilariously whaley. Like the top 50 spots are all insane.

IMO, they should mix this poo poo up on the reg.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
When it says "In addition, he has +10% critical damage" in an ability description is that a constant 10% bonus or is it related to the rest of the ability like +10% for each jaws/droid ally?

Red Rox fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 6, 2016

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bug or a "feature"? Who knows!

quote:

So I entered a new GW battle (node 4), after beating a node and noticed that along with my current health and protection the game saved my heroes' turn meters from the end of the last battle. (Much like how it does so in Challenges, Cantinas, and missions). My entire team got to go before the other teams heroes,.. except for Dooku. [Insert expletive here] Dooku!
Plus side: This gave me a chance to get more hits in before the other team started attacking (including a chance to stun Dooku before he used his special, or to kill QGJ before he called a super assist, etc).
Down side: It totally messes with planned out initial attack orders based on speed of my characters. Doesn't outweigh the plus side on the team I run, but I wonder if it's more noticeable and frustrating for other teams.
Overall, I think it's a great change!

You have to update the game to see this.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Jerkface posted:

I have no idea how whaleish my shard is but I am hovering around rank 2000 and all of the teams are 6+ levels higher than mine, so even when their star level or gear sucks it's really hard to win fights because my stuff just gets constantly resisted and dodged. When I stopped playing I was hanging in the t50 fairly easily too :I

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

I have no idea how whaleish my shard is but I am hovering around rank 2000 and all of the teams are 6+ levels higher than mine, so even when their star level or gear sucks it's really hard to win fights because my stuff just gets constantly resisted and dodged. When I stopped playing I was hanging in the t50 fairly easily too :I

If you click on Rank, you can now look at the team comps of top players. If you see Leia or other whale-exclusives 20-30 teams down, you know it's a whale shard.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

rabidsquid posted:

This is kinda a frustrating issue for player retention in that it seems like there's no mechanic whatsoever for catching up to your immediate context if you take a break longer than a day or two. Similar games offer the ability to switch to a younger server/shard, or just straight up don't measure rewards in terms of your performance compared to people who started playing at the same time as you

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Who should I focus on gearing/leveling between 7 star Geo Soldier and 6 star Rey?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Jenny Angel posted:

This is kinda a frustrating issue for player retention in that it seems like there's no mechanic whatsoever for catching up to your immediate context if you take a break longer than a day or two. Similar games offer the ability to switch to a younger server/shard, or just straight up don't measure rewards in terms of your performance compared to people who started playing at the same time as you

It's actually worse. They are actively collapsing cohorts. Unless a group of 20ish people who have been playing since November said "I'm tired of not being in the sub 50 game" and all became whales with 7* Leias. Previously there was one active in the sub 50. Now almost every team 20 to 1 has one.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

rabidsquid posted:

I was in the same area (sitting in the 2000s while grinding my shards trying to build my team) while just doing my dailies and poo poo. Now that im trying to actively compete i managed to sneak into the 800s with a 23000 power team. I did it by refreshing until i found a 22-23k team to snipe that wasnt some kind of megasynergy team thats better than its power suggested. 90% of teams from 1700 down to 800 were 25k or higher and now every team i can challenge is like 27k or higher. It sucks. I also hosed my gw doing this so i dont know what i was thinking.

I hope theres an event soon that gives me credits or shards or something. I need something to help me catch up.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

There just was such an event but if your arena opponents aren't 7* it helped them just as much as it helped you.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
So my whale is on twitter

https://twitter.com/TweetTromp/status/728529118438916096

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Once people are level 80, f2p can catch up and do well in arena. Not sure what you can do about Leia though, maybe it'll be worth picking up Ventress.

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Tagichatn posted:

Once people are level 80, f2p can catch up and do well in arena. Not sure what you can do about Leia though, maybe it'll be worth picking up Ventress.

Tagichatn posted:

Ventress isn't bad, until yesterday she was a cornerstone in my arena team (Lumi, QGJ, Fives, RG, Ventress) and was the hardest hitter and very durable in my experience. Only replaced her because I finally got my Rey almost caught up and might be removing one of either RG or Fives to bring her back. I miss the buff removal and occasional stun from her basic in addition to hitting like a truck.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
I've gotten into this game a lot more in the last week or so and I feel like I am stuck in a rut.

I'm level 44, and I have a LS and a DS squad, all leveled up to 44 also. I am currently getting creamed in DS-4 hard and LS-5 Normal even though I have my team leveled and what seems like decent gear. I was 3-starring everything for a while, but here in the 40s I barely scrape through the highest level missions. Does anyone have any advice on how I should be spending my energy other than sucking at progressing through the campaign? I'm at least doing ok in GW so far. Failed horribly at the highest tier Attacker challenge yesterday. My two squads are:

4* Chewie, 3* JC, 3* Jawa, 3* Poe, 2* Ewok Scout

4* Talia, 2* RG, 2* FO Stormtropper, 2* IG-86, 1* Snowtrooper

Lord Wexia fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 7, 2016

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

If you're not able to make progress, farm gear or shards. You could have seven star everything and struggle if your gear levels are low.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Lord Wexia posted:

I've gotten into this game a lot more in the last week or so and I feel like I am stuck in a rut.

Sometimes you have to take a break from progressing. DS 4/5 is really hard until you get Daka. LS 5 is pretty hard until you get Lumi. I'd recommend working on those.

Of those heroes, JC, Poe, Talia, IG-86 and RG are the only heroes you're going to keep using past the early stages. I've written a whole guide in the OP about who you should focus on farming, once you get some of those early heroes (Sid, Lumi, etc.), this game gets a lot easier.

Gear level is also super important, so you should use energy to build items for your heroes until that's as far as you can take it for the missions available and their level.

It's also good to regularly clear certain hard missions. Long term, Rey is the best investment. RG is also really good.

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 07:31 on May 7, 2016

Dr. Venture
Sep 26, 2011

Lord Wexia posted:

I'm fairly new myself; probably 4 weeks ahead of you. You'll get over it, don't worry. Just read the guide at the beginning of this thread and you'll see an improvement.

Life becomes much easier once you grab Luminara (get her to 7* ASAP) from Galactic War.

Old Daka is absolutely incredible. I only recently got her from cantina tokens; the grind is long but well worth it. Grab Qui-Gon Jinn at some point (1st or 2nd), he's really cheap to unlock and definitely an end-game hero; you'll love his assist attack and ability to knock off buffs (including taunts)!

As for arena tokens, I made the mistake of grabbing IG-88 first. He's good, but his healing debuff isn't 100%. Darth Sidious is invaluable for his more reliable debuff (not to mention his bullshit dodge chance against Jedi). A lot of people grab Stormtrooper Han next to replace Chewie (the 2 turn taunt is great, and he's tankier than Poe).

Squad Cantina Battles (1-A) Geonosian Soldier: You need to get him. This weird bug-guy is probably my favorite character. He has an assist attack just like IG-86 and QGJ and is pretty beefy. I would mostly focus on GS, but grab a couple shards for JC, too.

For arena I run: IG-88(L), Geonosian Soldier, Luminara, Jedi Consular, Royal Guard. I can consistently maintain top 100 even though my JC and RG have low stars.

The biggest mistakes I made was wasting tier 3 ability mats on people who aren't good and for leader bonuses I will never use. Apply them with careful consideration, and only worry about keeping your arena team/GW team leveled and geared. You'll eventually have to become selective with who you work on as credits and training droids become scarce.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Now to star him up.

Cost half of my stockpiled T3 ability mats and about 3 million credits :shepicide:

At this point, getting a brand new character to usable levels of gear, stars and abilities costs so much I don't even want new characters anymore..

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012
Yay fives is 5*, tomorrow I hit 76 and him and qgj are about to get their basics upgraded. That should help my poor showing in the raid somewhat at least. Geo is about a week a way from 6* where I assume he will be arena viable. And lastly Rey is a day from 5*.

Looking at that list thank gently caress for the may the 4th thing because I am largely able to have my Jedi team replaced in just a few weeks. If it hadn't been for that event I would be so far behind what I am now.

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

I'm able to hang out in top 100 in my shard at 15k power, which is about average. I just have to complete dailies every day and use up all play opportunities (F2P) in order to get a level each day or so.

Grinding stars is sooo slow. Thankfully, most of the team comps I'm going up against are just bad. Still, I feel like every day it gets just a little more difficult to progress, or win arena battles, since I'm behind on star levels.

Stalkerr fucked around with this message at 13:51 on May 7, 2016

two_step
Sep 2, 2011
swgohgg just added a feature where they can pull your characters from the servers. Instructions at https://www.reddit.com/r/SWGalaxyOfHeroes/comments/4ia0oi/swgohgg_introducing_collection_sync/

For example, here is my page: http://swgoh.gg/u/twostep/collection/

Probably worth adding a column on the spreadsheet for people's link. Also, when you are asking for team building, linking your collection will make it a lot easier for people to give you advice

Edit: Also, it collects up everyone in the guild who created an account there, so you can see the whole guild at http://swgoh.gg/g/145/ima-goondi/

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Does anyone have the Jawa Engineer yet? Seems like he might be good for my droid team, especially with that revive.

so edgy i cut YOU BITCH
Apr 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

so edgy i cut YOU BITCH fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 17, 2021

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
Added to the second reply in the thread.

Here's mine: http://swgoh.gg/u/mal/

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 7, 2016

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

two_step posted:

swgohgg just added a feature where they can pull your characters from the servers. Instructions at https://www.reddit.com/r/SWGalaxyOfHeroes/comments/4ia0oi/swgohgg_introducing_collection_sync/

For example, here is my page: http://swgoh.gg/u/twostep/collection/

Probably worth adding a column on the spreadsheet for people's link. Also, when you are asking for team building, linking your collection will make it a lot easier for people to give you advice

Edit: Also, it collects up everyone in the guild who created an account there, so you can see the whole guild at http://swgoh.gg/g/145/ima-goondi/

http://swgoh.gg/u/chilichimp/

it just occurred to me that making your profile public is probably bad, since your arena opponents can search for you...

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 7, 2016

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Chilichimp posted:

http://swgoh.gg/u/chilichimp/

it just occurred to me that making your profile public is probably bad, since your arena opponents can search for you...

Pretty sure you can already see inventory of arena opponents via in game. Click on their name in ranks, then hit inventory.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Ok so I took the biggest chance tonight and it was amazing.

I have no real goals in arena/cantina shipments/GW so I just been loving around and spending poo poo anywhere. After the Ewok event I had a L40 6* Teebo so from the discussion here or somewhere else about leader abilities being fixed, I dropped 3.7M credits bringing him to L78 and then maxxed all his skills. By the time I did that I was on my 4th attack of the night vs Rancor.

I had 0 slowing chars left.

I had 0 healers left.

I had 0 offense up left.

Teebo doesn't even have purple gear and had 0 protection.

The team did 400k damage before they went down. Almost as much as I had done with my main team.

Next raid I'm going to go with two heavy hitting A teams like:

Phasma L (slow), QGJ (TM), Lumi(H), FOTP, Kylo
Teebo L (TM), 5s (slow), Bariss (H) (Wish I had a 6 or 7 star elder for synergy), Rey, GS

It's really exciting how well that drat teddy bear did.

EDIT: Also set up my profile http://swgoh.gg/u/hughlander/

Hughlander fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 8, 2016

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Hughlander posted:

Next raid I'm going to go with two heavy hitting A teams like:

Phasma L (slow), QGJ (TM), Lumi(H), FOTP, Kylo
Teebo L (TM), 5s (slow), Bariss (H) (Wish I had a 6 or 7 star elder for synergy), Rey, GS

It's really exciting how well that drat teddy bear did.

Yeah, he's pretty amazing. I've been running Teebo, Chirpa, Elder, QGJ, RG, and it works pretty well. I'm thinking about taking out Chirpa, he's only 5*, and now that I can actually run Teebo lead, he just doesn't do enough. I also need to finish leveling Teebo, he's 74, but I'm saving up gold to star JC and level Eeth for Yoda. Anyways, I'm thinking about throwing Rey into the mix, as she'll get some pretty absurd damage in.

It's really sad when Rancor eats Teebo first. I've managed to run him in 3 raids before.

Also, for those that don't know, you can't manipulate Rancor's TM when he's stunned.

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

heh, you think you can withstand the power of my solarbeam?

Disco De Soto posted:

Does anyone have the Jawa Engineer yet? Seems like he might be good for my droid team, especially with that revive.

I'm grabbing his shards now that I finished off Rey but it'll still be weeks before he's usable. Hoping he can give Droids that kick they need to get back into contention though.

http://swgoh.gg/u/wrathraven/

Cai
Apr 15, 2006
Dongs Dongs Dongs
This site is pretty cool; I actually never counted the number of characters I had.

Might as well throw my link in, too: http://swgoh.gg/u/caius/

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Going to add mine to the collection, too: http://swgoh.gg/u/igestalt/

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Have any of you guys who finish top 3 in the raid ever gotten a complete furnace, dildo or that third thingy?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Might as well do the same as everyone else: http://swgoh.gg/u/tracula/

Did Greedo get a buff at some point? His bomb thing seems to actually hit more often than never now.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Tracula posted:

Might as well do the same as everyone else: http://swgoh.gg/u/tracula/

Did Greedo get a buff at some point? His bomb thing seems to actually hit more often than never now.
He got changed from a slow high-damage attacker with amazing health steal to a medium speed very high damage attacker (without significant health steal) like 2 major updates ago. Dunno how that changed his potency at the time, but his gear X gives him 30 more potency (to a total of 89%), which is more than the most tenacity there is. If you're not there yet 59% is still pretty OK although frankly I have no idea how tenacity and potency interact.

It always hit more often than not for me but I kept him as my best-geared character. Maybe you're just catching up? He hasn't had any changes since they took his health steal away.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I don't have him personally, I've noticed it when fighting him during GW and Arena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

Dr. Venture posted:

I'm fairly new myself; probably 4 weeks ahead of you. You'll get over it, don't worry. Just read the guide at the beginning of this thread and you'll see an improvement.

Life becomes much easier once you grab Luminara (get her to 7* ASAP) from Galactic War.

Old Daka is absolutely incredible. I only recently got her from cantina tokens; the grind is long but well worth it. Grab Qui-Gon Jinn at some point (1st or 2nd), he's really cheap to unlock and definitely an end-game hero; you'll love his assist attack and ability to knock off buffs (including taunts)!

As for arena tokens, I made the mistake of grabbing IG-88 first. He's good, but his healing debuff isn't 100%. Darth Sidious is invaluable for his more reliable debuff (not to mention his bullshit dodge chance against Jedi). A lot of people grab Stormtrooper Han next to replace Chewie (the 2 turn taunt is great, and he's tankier than Poe).

Squad Cantina Battles (1-A) Geonosian Soldier: You need to get him. This weird bug-guy is probably my favorite character. He has an assist attack just like IG-86 and QGJ and is pretty beefy. I would mostly focus on GS, but grab a couple shards for JC, too.

For arena I run: IG-88(L), Geonosian Soldier, Luminara, Jedi Consular, Royal Guard. I can consistently maintain top 100 even though my JC and RG have low stars.

The biggest mistakes I made was wasting tier 3 ability mats on people who aren't good and for leader bonuses I will never use. Apply them with careful consideration, and only worry about keeping your arena team/GW team leveled and geared. You'll eventually have to become selective with who you work on as credits and training droids become scarce.

Thanks for the advice! I just unlocked Lumi, Fives, and Geo Soldier. Things are a little easier now.

What is a good route for leveling up? Focus on gear level or stars? It seems like trying to get 7* on a hero would take a lifetime.

edit: this is my collection so far for reference - http://swgoh.gg/u/wexia/

Lord Wexia fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 8, 2016