Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Is this game fun if you never spend money on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Kly posted:

Yes. But also its a horrible grinding slog. But also fun and addicting.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Kly posted:

No

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
So I guess Zavage is a poor mans Zylo - or, a preview of what Zylo soloing P1 will probably look like post-nerf unless they do something truly drastic and character-wrecking.

https://youtu.be/1U4eBByEIJ8

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

Kly posted:

How do you feel about midichloreans?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

pretty good. played a couple hours, seems fun so far. like star wars final fantasy. thread title put me off even trying it for a while lol

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Kly posted:

pretty good. played a couple hours, seems fun so far. like star wars final fantasy. thread title put me off even trying it for a while lol

Mal is stubbornly stuck to that title <:mad:> it really is a good fun game despite all its drawbacks

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

RC Cola posted:

its a horrible grinding slog. Also addicting.

Fixed

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

fishtobaskets posted:

Mal is stubbornly stuck to that title <:mad:> it really is a good fun game despite all its drawbacks

Give me a better title?

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I must have missed free Savage month while on long hiatus, every GW pushover team has one and I still don't find him a threat at all. He's like Windu threat tier.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Dely Apple posted:

I must have missed free Savage month while on long hiatus, every GW pushover team has one and I still don't find him a threat at all. He's like Windu threat tier.

Zeta Maul + Zeta Savage + heavy hp/def build makes Savage nearly unkillable. Usually takes a Nil annihilate.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Kly posted:

yup. Soon you will realize that the game is actually a long-haul, soul-crushing grind.

You can buy your way out of that grind, of course... for 5k dollars. :)

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Malgrin posted:

Give me a better title?

Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes - Freemium from this curse!

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Malgrin posted:

Give me a better title?

Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes - Poopboy Bonerhorny

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
If there's a spot in any of the guilds, I'd appreciate an invite! Ally code is 449-716-569

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Dely Apple posted:

Zavage with high health requires some combination of dots, buff clears, healing immunity, and +TM immunity. He also tends to have high tenacity, so its hard to get those to stick.

or you let him stack 30 HoTs, then use Boba Fett to murder him from full health.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Kly posted:

I've been playing for probably a year. I never spend any money. I've been max level for a while, but can barely ever crack 200 in the leaderboard. If you're fine with that, and acknowledge that some days you'll just do each daily activity, while making minimal progress on your characters, you'll be good. I have fun.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Kly posted:

I'm basically a F2P Player. The only money I've spent on the game is what I get from doing those dumb google surveys. I wait till it adds up to like 5 bux and buy crystals sometimes. Otherwise I've just been playing since launch and doing everything very slowly.

You can have "fun" as a F2P player, but everything takes a long time. It took me like a year and a half to finally get to a point where I could challenge for #1 in Arena, and part of that is the meta swapped to a very F2P friendly meta since almost no team is unbeatable if you go for the cookie cutter meta teams.

If you're ok with the slow drip of characters & gear in this game compared to others of its type you can do fine as a F2P. It just requires focusing on the right arena team to get into the top 100 as soon as possible. You can use Mal's OP or come to the goon discord and we can help you with advice.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.
I'm taking a break from this time sink. Open spot in QGJ if it's needed.

E: it is addicting, but not so fun

Spiderjelly fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 3, 2017

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
Looking to join a goon guild, current guild is taking like 1 week to finish a raid.

I poo poo guild activity points/raid tickets/whatever

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I recently started playing the game, less than a week ago.

First impressions are not great. I had virtually no heroes, not even enough to fill my Light Side team (and on darkside i only had a single dude) and there didn't look like there was any fast ways as a new player to get new dudes.
You do get a few dudes on the first few million maps at least, so theres that. However, ever since getting those guaranteed guys i have not gotten any more heroes, despite being as active as it is possible to be without spending money. I have gotten a bit closer to unlocking a few heroes (60 shards on lando, 30 on Boba, 10 on STH) but its still several days until i get Lando and weeks for Boba/STH. I also have gotten some poo poo tier heroes from the fleet battle events you gradually unlock as you level. Other than that i have had no meaningful progress towards any heroes.
Even though i have a full light and dark side team (of mostly random NPC poo poo heroes) they are still only 3*. To get them to 7* i need 330 shards (minus whatever they are worth at their current *) which is really loving demoralizing considering i get like 2 shards towards Lando/Boba/STH per day on average and no shards for any of the other guys.
It is not really a bad game and there is a decent amount of things to do. Progress is far too slow however, particularly as a new player. Since the game is almost 2 years old (?) i would have expected there to be a lot of catch up mechanics by now. Getting a free 7* during the first week would not be outrageous. Maybe as a reward from completing a long chain of "tutorial quests" or similar.
I joined the goon guild this weekend and to even be able to do any guild stuff i need a 7* hero just to participate in the raid. Do they expect to be able to retain new players that solely play with other new players? Games like these at this age recruit through word of mouth and people will want to play with, and be a bit carried, by their high level friends. No such thing in this game.

I will continue to play another week to see if the game gets more fun when i get Lando and/or more avenues of progress open up.

This game survives solely on the merit of being a Star Wars game. If this had been another generic Korean anime gacha squad battle game with identical mechanics people would have noped out of it a long time ago, i assume. I certainly would have.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jul 3, 2017

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Ineptitude posted:

This game survives solely on the merit of being a Star Wars game. If this had been another generic Korean anime gacha squad battle game with identical mechanics people would have noped out of it a long time ago, i assume. I certainly would have.

You are 100% correct.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Ineptitude posted:

I want to say you're wrong, but I've been trying to find another game like it to also play, and each one I can't seem to get into, so you're probably right. I was bored by the Final Fantasy one (I bailed pretty early, it may get interesting later), and one mentioned in here (Seven Knights, I think?) by someone had a loading page with a bunch of scantily clad anime girls, which made me say, "Ehhhhh, nah."

Is there a widely accepted better game like this? I have no problem with a grind (obviously), but with varied classes, and isn't bogged down by story mode bullshit? (The Marvel one bored me with that.) There's a DC Comics one that's...alright. But I don't really know where to look beyond IPs I already recognize, which is probably my problem.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I dunno, Dungeon Boss?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

I want to say you're wrong, but I've been trying to find another game like it to also play, and each one I can't seem to get into, so you're probably right. I was bored by the Final Fantasy one (I bailed pretty early, it may get interesting later), and one mentioned in here (Seven Knights, I think?) by someone had a loading page with a bunch of scantily clad anime girls, which made me say, "Ehhhhh, nah."

Seven Knights is my "other game". I have a low tolerance for anime and i can stand Seven Knights just fine. They are very generous with fremium currency as well as straight up giving you "special" heroes several times per month. (special heroes would be the equivalent of chromium pack only heroes in SWGoH) There is no energy mechanic, "play as much as you like" as well as a host of different game modes (like 10)

SWGoH has its own unique features, i particularly like the targeted farming of heroes (despite the rate being extremely low). Targeted farming is not something that exists in 7k. The sim ticket thing is also very nice. In 7k you can auto play to a larger extent but it still actually plays through it instead of simming it. Galactic Warfare looks interesting. Raids being a cooperative guild effort over several days is also interesting (why the gently caress is it going to take a new player 6 motnhs to be able to raid, do they really not want to recruit fresh blood to the game?)

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

Seven Knights is my "other game". I have a low tolerance for anime and i can stand Seven Knights just fine. They are very generous with fremium currency as well as straight up giving you "special" heroes several times per month. (special heroes would be the equivalent of chromium pack only heroes in SWGoH) There is no energy mechanic, "play as much as you like" as well as a host of different game modes (like 10)

SWGoH has its own unique features, i particularly like the targeted farming of heroes (despite the rate being extremely low). Targeted farming is not something that exists in 7k. The sim ticket thing is also very nice. In 7k you can auto play to a larger extent but it still actually plays through it instead of simming it. Galactic Warfare looks interesting. Raids being a cooperative guild effort over several days is also interesting (why the gently caress is it going to take a new player 6 motnhs to be able to raid, do they really not want to recruit fresh blood to the game?)

I started mid June. I have 5 7* characters and 9 6*. I'm on track to 7* palpatine in 9 days. It's not hard, follow the guide to start with and branch off.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

RC Cola posted:

I started mid June. I have 5 7* characters and 9 6*. I'm on track to 7* palpatine in 9 days. It's not hard, follow the guide to start with and branch off.

It's this.

Galaxy of Heroes is a slow roll, but you can roll it. When they release new heroes you will get them at 3* for free (if you're around for the event), which is cool from a collection aspect. New players can learn from our mistakes and not do dumb poo poo like... level 7* luke skywalker because you need another rebel, or not 7* chewbacca for his turn meter reduction on rancor.

The unfortunately lovely side of the meta at present... is you won't be competitive in high-end arena again pay2wins, because you're not gonna have Chirrut + Baze or Darth Nihilus.

THAT BEING SAID, zQGJ, Imperial, and Sith squads are all at least able to fight into the top 20 range on most shards with the right mods and mix of characters. I fought a zQGJ squad last night at 22 that included R2, Yoda, Anakin, and Zarris, and it mopped the floor with my Sith squad.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Heroes charge is very similar to this game. I quit playing it a few years ago and burned my bridges (google refund) over rumors they were going to get sued into oblivion for copy/pasting LoL character sprites. It looks like it's still running so I guess those rumors were false. I regret getting spooked because I quite enjoyed it.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Ineptitude posted:

I've tried several other similar games, and while in the early levels, this game can feel worse than others, I do think it's actually a better overall game than most of them. I do think it would've failed without Star Wars, but the end game of this game is actually surprisingly complex and I like trying to figure out which complex interactions are going to break this game.

Ineptitude posted:

It is not really a bad game and there is a decent amount of things to do. Progress is far too slow however, particularly as a new player. Since the game is almost 2 years old (?) i would have expected there to be a lot of catch up mechanics by now. Getting a free 7* during the first week would not be outrageous. Maybe as a reward from completing a long chain of "tutorial quests" or similar.

Yeah, this is something they really need to add. The game is just as hard to level and collect heroes as it was at launch in November/December 2015. On the plus side you get a free 180 energy per day that didn't exist at launch....

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Malgrin posted:

Yeah, this is something they really need to add. The game is just as hard to level and collect heroes as it was at launch in November/December 2015. On the plus side you get a free 180 energy per day that didn't exist at launch....

They should double the rate of energy gain and double drops for all modes, including shop buys for the first month you play, imo.

They should just do that for everyone forever, actually.

Taking a character to 7* in 2-3 weeks is far preferable to a month+. Also, speeding up FARMABLE gear is an absolute necessity. I should be contemplating spending crystals on loving RAID gear, not mk 3 holo's to get Kenobi, R2, and Thrawn to Gear 7.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 3, 2017

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

i just read the guide in the OP and its a pretty big bummer to find out the chromium packs have such a low chance for a character. ive only gotten one so it was the guaranteed character (ayla) but i get why people complain about the grind now.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Kly posted:

i just read the guide in the OP and its a pretty big bummer to find out the chromium packs have such a low chance for a character. ive only gotten one so it was the guaranteed character (ayla) but i get why people complain about the grind now.

She's amazing

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Kly posted:

Oh wow, that's actually a loving great pull. They must have expanded the list of toons you could potentially pull from the first free pack.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Kly posted:

This is not a gacha game. It's a farming game. You hit a really nice character with the last "pull" you'll ever do. This is good news. Now you can put all your efforts into gearing Aayla while you wait a few days to open up the game modes that will give you some easily attainable dope rear end dudes (Boba/Lando)

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Is there a star wars themed gacha game?

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Uuuuugh I can't do it anymore, it's just like... you know. I'm sure it'll be even more broken by the time I pick it up again when TLJ is being infused into here.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

In my shipments for guild credits i only have Jawa Engineer, Rey and Ima-Gun-Di, while the OP mentions a bunch of other heroes. Do these regularly cycle or do i need higher level to get more options?
Should i buy Jawa Engineer for now, even though he is a bit down on the list in the OP?

Also completed my first round of GW and got 1200 GW credits. Should i keep buying Biggs for these (first on the list) and keep returning to buy him every time the shipment refreshes or should i buy 3 different shards once per day?

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

Ineptitude posted:

In my shipments for guild credits i only have Jawa Engineer, Rey and Ima-Gun-Di, while the OP mentions a bunch of other heroes. Do these regularly cycle or do i need higher level to get more options?
Should i buy Jawa Engineer for now, even though he is a bit down on the list in the OP?

Also completed my first round of GW and got 1200 GW credits. Should i keep buying Biggs for these (first on the list) and keep returning to buy him every time the shipment refreshes or should i buy 3 different shards once per day?

Guild store cycles twice a day at 1200gmt & 2200gmt for me your times might be different, the other characters will be there they just cycle and sometimes you can go days with the same characters available, with seemingly some characters being rarer to show up than others. Took me months to get engineer up to 7* as he showed up so infrequently for me. Same is true of fleet shipments, slave 1, scimitar and x1 barely ever show up for me. I've had them 6* for months now.

edit: welp forgot about the third refresh for guild and fleet as I always do in game my bad

rocket_Magnet fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 4, 2017

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:
Double post but first announcement about new guild game mode coming soon. The one we saw on that leaked screenshot last month before EA made it disappear

CG posted:

Hiya Holotable Heroes,
I'm here to introduce our handy dandy Creative director, Justin Jones who has the pleasure of dropping some much awaited news!

Today, we’re really excited to finally make our first official announcement about a new game mode coming to Star Wars™: Galaxy of Heroes -Territory Battles! This mode introduces an entirely new strategy experience that lets you and your Guild fight an epic battle across one of the most iconic battlefields in the Star Wars galaxy for awesome rewards.

We have a lot more to share with you when it comes to Territory Battles, but here are some initial details to get you started:
Strategize on the Battlefield: You can already collect your favorite characters and ships; now take them into epic scale combat for special bonuses and rewards! Territory Battles are set on the ice planet of Hoth.
Battle with the full force of your entire collection: Bring the strength of everything you’ve collected into the fight for Hoth! Now, every character and ship you collect - and every upgrade - matters.
Guild Co-operation: Coordinate on battle and map strategy across multiple mission types using the collective strength of your Guild’s squads and fleets. Every participating member in the guild earns equal rewards.
We can’t wait for you and your Guilds to battle on Hoth, so be sure to stay tuned for more details over the days and weeks ahead.

-Justin Jones
Creative Director, Star Wars™: Galaxy of Heroes

Be interesting to see what it's like, unclear if it will be guild v guild but my guess is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

rocket_Magnet posted:

Guild store cycles twice a day at 1200gmt & 2200gmt for me your times might be different, the other characters will be there they just cycle and sometimes you can go days with the same characters available, with seemingly some characters being rarer to show up than others. Took me months to get engineer up to 7* as he showed up so infrequently for me. Same is true of fleet shipments, slave 1, scimitar and x1 barely ever show up for me. I've had them 6* for months now.

Guild store cycles 3 times a day, same times as you get bonus energy. (Noon, 6, and 9 pm in your timezone).

Same goes for the fleet store.

Standard shipments, Galactic War, Arena, Mod Shop and Cantina Shop refresh 4 times a day at 12 and 6 AM and PM

Shard shop refreshes daily at midnight.

Of those, standard shipments, Guild Store, mod shop, and fleet shop randomize completely, GW ships randomize and characters are fixed, the bottom three rows of shard shop randomize, and arena and cantina are 100% fixed.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jul 4, 2017