Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

oh I totally forgot he was there, goddamnit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
2.09 Alshon Jeffery

Big run on WRs this early in the draft. I feel compelled to take Jeffery in this spot, even though I got burned by him last year. He only played in 9 games in 2015 but he posted PFF's eight-best receiving grade overall and his 89.7 yards per game was higher than during his breakout 2013 season. His best football is still to come and I like guys motivated for their big pay days. He offers WR1 value when healthy and I can trust in myself to build depth at the position later.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

This might be dynasty poisoning affecting me, but I can't let Sammy Watkins get past me at 2.10.

After Buffalo's bye last year, he put up a ridiculous stat line and seems to finally be settling into his groove as an elite wideout. If he can stay healthy and continue to command a decent amount of targets, he will put up fantasy points with the best of them. Top 5 upside IMO.

Starting off with OBJ and Watkins back to back is pretty good by me.

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001
A possibly minor surprise here at 2.11 as Gridiron Chefs draft

Cameron Jerrell Newton

Thoughts after my rd 3 pick.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Chen Kenichi posted:

A possibly minor surprise here at 2.11 as Gridiron Chefs draft

Cameron Jerrell Newton

Thoughts after my rd 3 pick.

And on his birthday and everything! I'm sure he's flattered.

Cammy Cam :allears:

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

The first casualty of autopick strikes.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Cervixalot posted:

The first casualty of autopick strikes.

Commissioner abuses his power. League is rigged.

Seriously though if anyone fucks up like I did and lets me know before the person they want gets picked I will fix it.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
There goes what tiny amount of hope i had of Douggie Martin dropping to me.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Same. But the angry hamster is really a round1 or maybe early round2 pick, the only reason he's fallen this far is how many owners we seem to have going with all WRs for the first couple rounds. Him falling to 3.01 is already pretty late.

e. like I would never take sammy watkins over doug martin. And I really like Watkins this year.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Sorry about that. I was drafting from my phone and didn't see every player available. gently caress you phone and holy poo poo gently caress you MFL ADP. Address all complaints to the commissioner.

Let's discuss my selections:

2.12 - Jamaal Charles
He's recovering from an ACL tear but he honestly has no business falling this far. He is already running with no signs of a setback, and I fully expect him to put up RB1 numbers. His pass catching ability is where he really shines so getting him this far in a 0.5 PPR setup is amazing. Of course this means my WR choices will largely be less than stellar and high upside picks but with the way drafts are trending I expect there to be value in picking RBs. Worst case scenario I repeat last year where I got 2nd place in spite of LeVeon Bell.

3.01 - Muscle Hamster
Sorry Doug, your name is Muscle Hamster. You got over 1600 combined yards last year and were the RB4. Not sure what you're doing this low but gently caress it I will gladly scoop you up.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Welp. You've got Brown, and you've got my RB2 and RB3 choices. Wrap it up, you've already won the league. I blame everyone else for letting both those guys fall to you.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Leperflesh posted:

Welp. You've got Brown, and you've got my RB2 and RB3 choices. Wrap it up, you've already won the league. I blame everyone else for letting both those guys fall to you.

Thanks everyone else!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh I told a lie, Bell was my RB2 choice, so you have my RB3 and 4. I guess the field is still wide open. :shrug:

For the counter to why muscle hamster won't repeat this year, maybe it's because the bucs will finally recognize the true greatness of charles sims

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001
With pick 3.02 in the draft I decided to take

Eddie Lacy

Choosing Cam seemed like a pretty easy choice considering my situation. This is what is probably the last shot at getting stud quality for me. Cam is undoubtedly QB1 right now AND he gets Kelvin back. That pretty much sets a super high floor for his performance and a possibility of an even bigger year this year. I could have seen if he goes through Beer (likely but by no means a certainty) and taken on the rebound, but I had plenty of targets in a similar tier for RB/WR and only one in QB at this spot so I took the QB to assure I had this high floor locked up in the highest scoring position. I will say Jamaal was definitely a consideration for me here as well.

If Jamaal made it around I was most likely taking him, but Lacy was a target for this pick and I am happy to grab him. Contract year, losing weight, and still on a high-powered offense. Can get 20 touches on the ground and a couple of catches per game as well. This year a statline of 1100+/9+ and ~40/400/5 is easily reachable. Remember he was being considered as #1 overall based on his 2014 before he became fat Lacy. Back in shape another 2014 or better should be achievable.

Nuk the Whales is on the clock.

Chen Kenichi fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 13, 2016

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

I'm not thrilled with this choice, but I think Mark Ingram represents the end of this tier of 3 down backs with pass catching ability, so I'm going to take him as my RB1. Should Ingram stay healthy, his workload should be safe (Spiller and Hightower aren't too scary), and while they drafted Daniel Lasco, I don't expect him to threaten anything this season.

OBJ
Watkins
Ingram

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Cervixalot posted:

I'm not thrilled with this choice, but I think Mark Ingram represents the end of this tier of 3 down backs with pass catching ability, so I'm going to take him as my RB1. Should Ingram stay healthy, his workload should be safe (Spiller and Hightower aren't too scary), and while they drafted Daniel Lasco, I don't expect him to threaten anything this season.

OBJ
Watkins
Ingram

FantasyPros has Ingram as the consensus 21st overall pick, so you may have gotten some minor value there. Personally I am extremely wary of his injury risk.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Jeremy Maclin and C.J. Anderson. As noted on MFL, I think the CJA hate is going a bit too far- he's most likely the lead back in a Kubiak offense with either Mark Sanchez or a rookie at QB and an improved o-line. Then again, I didn't get burned by him in any leagues last year, so maybe I'm just being foolish.

There Goes My Blood Bag is on the clock.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Veritek83 posted:

Jeremy Maclin and C.J. Anderson. As noted on MFL, I think the CJA hate is going a bit too far- he's most likely the lead back in a Kubiak offense with either Mark Sanchez or a rookie at QB and an improved o-line. Then again, I didn't get burned by him in any leagues last year, so maybe I'm just being foolish.

There Goes My Blood Bag is on the clock.

I don't hate CJA in the 3rd/4th. I think a lot of people were burned by him as a 1st round option under the Peyton Manning Effect. The real problem IMO is that regardless of the QB threat it's unlikely that the passing game is going to be remotely viable and so they'll be able to seriously stack the box.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
With pick 3.11, I choose Demaryius Thomas of the Super Bowl 50 World Champion Denver Broncos.

While I should have probably drafted a safer choice as my WR1, I like DT's upside and am somehow confident that John Elway has a plan when it comes to the QB quandary that the Broncos appear to be in right now. Plus while I am a Giants fan, I still live in Denver, so being able to root for the home team will be fun.

With pick 4.02, I choose T.Y. Hilton of the Indy Colts.

A safe WR2 to go with my risky WR1 pick, Hilton could easily supplant DT on my depth chart. With little in the way of competition on the roster, Luck apparently back to full health, and the Colts making a major investment in their O-line this year via the draft, Hilton has a high floor and a high ceiling. That's especially true if he can hit the end zone more than 4 times this year.

Lamar Miller
Demaryius Thomas
T.Y. Hilton
Rob Gronkowski

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 13, 2016

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I don't hate CJA in the 3rd/4th. I think a lot of people were burned by him as a 1st round option under the Peyton Manning Effect. The real problem IMO is that regardless of the QB threat it's unlikely that the passing game is going to be remotely viable and so they'll be able to seriously stack the box.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see if they can get anything effective going in the passing game. I think with the Thomas/Sanders duo, even Sanchez can be...passable.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm also going to go out on a limb and say Sanchez isn't going to be as good as Peyton at reading the defense and making adjustments so there's probably going to be less quick shots to CJA. I don't dislike him, I was bouncing between him and Hyde before deciding that Chip Kelly was the obvious way to go :v:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

3.10 Aaron Rodgers
A A Ron probably won't win the super bowl this year. But for my QB1 I want a known good QB in a good offense who has proven he can put up big scores multiple times per season. A lot of guys would target Wilson for that (once Cam is gone) but I have zero confidence that Seattle has addressed its porous OL, and without their star RB, I think Wilson is riskier. Plus as previously mentioned, Jordy Nelson should be back now, and Rodgers with a passel of good weapons is extremely dangerous.

I had Rodgers behind Rawls, Benjamin, Charles, Mike Evans, Doug Martin, and Brandin Cooks on my autodraft list, but all of those guys were taken. Normally I don't like taking a QB so early but I think late in the third, Rodgers is a great value, and the fact Cam is already off the list at 2.11 implies the top QBs are likely to start disappearing in the 4th.

4.03 Jarvis Landry
Arguably this is a reach. Miami is an unknown quantity. As I commented, nobody passed more than Miami last year, despite having Miller, which was loving stupid... and now they don't even have Miller (Jay Ajayi is a perfectly adequate RB but Miller is a star). With new coaching staff, there's certainly the possibility that Tanny throws less passes. But that might actually be a good thing, since right now everyone who plays Miami knows to just cover the gently caress out of their WRs. Then again, in 2015 that was obvious and despite that, Landry turned in big numbers, with 10 or more points in 11 different matches, and breaking 20 twice.

I was sorely tempted to take Wilson here, loving over everyone else by stacking the poo poo out of QBs. My worry though is that my next pick is 19 picks away and I expect all of the top WRs to be long gone by then. I could also have taken a RB, but I think the reliable 3-down bellcows are pretty much gone and I can pick up lots of value at RB in later rounds.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

I went ahead and grabbed Andrew Luck to be my QB. All reports are aiming at him being back to full health, haven't really followed the colts elsewise during offseason. But his upside should be at least top 3.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

3.08 - Julian Edelman

saw a report that he had a second surgery on his foot not long ago but I'm counting on him coming back strong and tearing poo poo up regardless of any possible missed games from Brady

4.05 - Matt Forte

surprised he fell this far.. despite turning 30, he's on a team that still likes to run a lot and made Chris Ivory look good for most of last season. the value just seems too good to pass up here

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Varg posted:

4.05 - Matt Forte

surprised he fell this far.. despite turning 30, he's on a team that still likes to run a lot and made Chris Ivory look good for most of last season. the value just seems too good to pass up here

I agree with the sentiment on Forte, but Chris Ivory IS good. :colbert:

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

3.04 Jordan Reed

Not in love with any players at this spot, if I could've traded down, I would have. I went with Reed because I think he'll provide a competitive advantage at TE. It'll be Gronk, Reed, then everyone else, I suspect. He posted some monster numbers down the stretch last year and won plenty of people championships. Primed for a big year.

4.09 Dion Lewis
Very productive on a PPG basis, Lewis forced 43 missed tackles on 85 total touches last year and basically broke PFF's elusive rating, posting a record 165.2, before going down with an ACL injury. Players recover from ACL injuries and his role in the offense is secure, so I feel comfortable believing he'll return to form.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Re: Jordan Reed: this is the year Vernon Davis suddenly remembers how to play football. Calling it now.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
4.12 - LeSean McCoy

I was genuinely surprised to see McCoy there at the end of the fourth, as his ADP has him going near the end of the third. I'm not complaining about getting three players being drafted as RB1s as far down as I am, but it certainly shows the devaluation of the position. Regardless McCoy has a history of performance, remains the lead back in Buffalo, and from an age perspective is in his prime.

5.01 - Eric Decker
It's amazing to think that the Jets are one of the teams to see both WRs get drafted early, but here we are. Decker is a perennial WR2, a player with a high floor and a reliable injury history. Not really a reach or steal, he fills a position of need at a time when I need it. I could have gotten some value in Wilson or Olsen, but given the roster requirements I really don't like waiting any longer for another wideout.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

I'm actually kinda surprised you took Decker this early. I'm not sure Fitz comes back and I want nothing to do with the Jets if they have to rely on Geno/Hackenburg/Petty at QB.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tiptoes posted:

I'm actually kinda surprised you took Decker this early. I'm not sure Fitz comes back and I want nothing to do with the Jets if they have to rely on Geno/Hackenburg/Petty at QB.

Yeah I considered Fitz but the combination of age, competition, and the way he faded down the stretch has me worried.

FWIW consensus projections have him as the WR23 for half PPR. He's in a pretty major pile with a bunch of other players at this tier so it's a personal preference thing.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 11:45 on May 14, 2016

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Are you guys talking past one another? Fitz= Larry Fitzgerald, but also Fitz= Ryan Fitzpatrick

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Veritek83 posted:

Are you guys talking past one another? Fitz= Larry Fitzgerald, but also Fitz= Ryan Fitzpatrick

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Yes, there's no guarantee that Fitzpatrick comes back and that puts up a huge risk with respect to Decker (and Marshall IMO). That said there aren't a lot of good WRs left so I took the best of a bad situation. One thing I am learning is that RB is super loving deep this year, deeper than I even considered, so maybe aiming to get 2 WRs within the first 3 rounds isn't a terrible idea. Then again it's hard to argue with the RBs I have.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

RB is deep, but there are so many question marks and murky RBBCs. Draft-only both helps and hurts in that respect. Knowing I'll get that one huge game somebody has, without having to worry about it from a sit/start viewpoint leads to increased risk tolerance for me.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

4.10 - Golden Tate
As the new WR1 of the Lions post Calvin, Tate should see an increase in targets (and DB attention), and he shined in his limited audition for this role in 2014. I think he projects for high WR2 this year, with a few top 12 weeks.

5.03 - Jonathan Stewart
I'm a big zero RB guy, but JStew looks like really good value here. A 3 down back on a strong offense, he looked really good down the stretch last year. The two big knocks on him are always health and getting TDs vultured by Cam and Tolbert, which are baked into his price.

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001
4.11 - Doug Baldwin

In a surprise to everyone he went from a WR3 for fantasy to a top tier WR1 after the Seahawks bye week last season. Not expecting near that much production throughout this year, but he showed me enough to have me grab him here. Figuring 70/1000/8 as a base with a pretty strong potential for more.

5.02 - Latavius Murray

I am surprised at him being available here. Another bell-cow RB that can catch passes. Not expecting the world, but consistent scoring should be achievable with an easier schedule and further development of the passing game and defense for the Raiders.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

5.04 Michael Floyd

I think he carries the highest upside of Arizona's trio and should lead in red zone targets. Really came on in the second half of last year after injuries slowed him early in the season. At age 26, he could have a big year in store for him.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tiptoes posted:

5.04 Michael Floyd

I think he carries the highest upside of Arizona's trio and should lead in red zone targets. Really came on in the second half of last year after injuries slowed him early in the season. At age 26, he could have a big year in store for him.

Speaking as a Floyd owner in dynasty I hope you're right.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
I absolutely think Floyd can be a quality WR2, although he's gonna suffer from competing with Fitz and John Brown and also with the emergence of David Johnson towards the end of last season.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

5.08 - Delanie Walker

I was originally going to pick a WR here but there are a lot of question marks surrounding the ones available in this area, so I decided to take a good TE. I had Walker last year in one league and he owned in the 2nd half of the season. If Azhais didn't take Eifert right before, I probably would have grabbed him instead because Dalton loves him so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Varg posted:

5.08 - Delanie Walker

I was originally going to pick a WR here but there are a lot of question marks surrounding the ones available in this area, so I decided to take a good TE. I had Walker last year in one league and he owned in the 2nd half of the season. If Azhais didn't take Eifert right before, I probably would have grabbed him instead because Dalton loves him so much.

I was basically in the same boat, none of the WR really spoke to me, and I think Eifert has a shot at being top of the non-gronk TEs, so I went for it.

• Locked thread