Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hey all. It was suggested a few days ago that we should have a general thread for Marvel mobile games, as all we have currently is the Avengers Alliance thread, so... here it is!

The Games:

Avengers Alliance

A turn based social network game, available in browsers and on mobile phones. You take control of a SHIELD agent, gathering various heroes, and go on various missions. It's currently on its second iteration, and has its own dedicated thread, but you can still talk about it here. Has mutants in it.

Marvel Future Fight

A dungeon crawler/brawler where you raise up heroes and fight hordes of enemies, while gathering biometrics and other items to unlock heroes, power them up, and rank them up. Currently celebrating its anniversary. Doesn't have mutants in it. Games also has <a href=http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3754527>a thread</a> for it.

Contest of Champions

A fighting game where you're summoned by the collector to collect heroes and villains like they're Pokemon. Heroes are unlocked by a roulette, if I believe correctly. Relies on a lot of randomness. It has mutants in it.

Avengers-themed village and Loki dancing simulator. Build and decorate your own academy while leveling up students to unlock new costumes and tasks. Regularly has themed events. Loki dances and Captain America does the Charleston a lot. For eight hours. There are no mutants in this one.

Rules

1. Make it obvious what game you're talking about. We don't want people getting confused.
2. That's it. That's the only rule.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Avengers Academy

The Civil War event is on. Currently Black Panther is the current unlockable, with Wonder Man as the premium character. As with the Guardians event, you can complete event missions for event currency, with vibranium replacing energy shards as the standard currency. Other event items include decoration, like with Guardians, which generate stuff. Wonder Man, Black Panther, and Black Widow's "Iron Widow" costume can generate soldiers to fight the Hydra agents lurking about the academy, instead of fighting them with students as in Guardians.

As of now, the only characters you can unlock are Black Panther and Wonder Man. There's Agent 13 (Sharon Carter), Crossbones, Madame Hydra, Winter Soldier, and two mystery characters to come. At least one of them is Premium, judging by the golden prison pod dangling from Hydra's tank.

Why are Tony and Steve fighting? Steve and Tony disagree on how best to defend the academy. Steve thinks robot defenders will inevitably go evil, and Tony thinks Steve is old fashioned. In other news, old man yells at cloud.

Event Unlock requirements

Iron Widow
- 2,408 Vibranium
- 8 Spy cameras (get from mission board)
- 6 Widow stars (get from mission board)
- 8 Smoke Bombs (dropped by #TeamIronMan Poster)
- 3 Cloaking Devices (have Widow do the "search for cloaking devices" mission)

Black Panther
- 3,828 Vibranium
- 21 Vibranium Daggers (fight Hydra Agents)
- 8 Kimoyo Cards (dropped by Wakandan Embassy)
- 15 NYC road maps (get from mission board)

#Team Iron Man Poster - (drops Smoke Bombs for Iron Widow every four hours)
- 592 Vibranium

Wakandan Embassy - (drops Kimoyo Cards for Black Panther every four hours)
- 927 Vibranium
- 6 Vibranium Daggers (fight Hydra Agents)
- 10 Heart-Shaped Herbs (get from mission board)

Iron Robots and Shield Recruits have items to generate them but I can't see what they are yet until I unlock Iron Widow, Panther, or Wonder Man. They can already be gotten off the mission board though.

EDIT - I forgot to put the "Games" tag on the thread. Can someone help me out?

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 5, 2016

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I installed Avengers Academy but there is a known bug like 5 min into the game that stops you dead in your tracks. Not sure what causes it but the Dev emailed me back saying they know about it but don't have an ETA on the fix.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They've usually been quick to address stuff like that, so I'm sure they'll get it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

I installed Avengers Academy but there is a known bug like 5 min into the game that stops you dead in your tracks. Not sure what causes it but the Dev emailed me back saying they know about it but don't have an ETA on the fix.

They issued a fix for that earlier today, when did you last try?

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011
Finished m3 of the MAA spec ops, gotta say all the jank up until then was worth that.

Thurm
Nov 11, 2008
Just a note for the Avengers Academy Civil War event, dismissing a mission from the board has a 30 minute cool down unlike the 5 minutes from the GotG event.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also because of all the items you need for Widow and Panther on day 1, there's a higher than normal chance of heroics appearing because those are basically guaranteed to give materials.

It's kind of lovely. I can't build a Stark robot for another 6 hours because of the way the timers all worked out, while some people could build them immediately.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

They issued a fix for that earlier today, when did you last try?

Ah I tired it the night before. I haven't had a chance to log in yet. I'll see if I can get in later.

EDIT: ok guess they fixed it. I look forward to lots of tapping.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 5, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
For its faults, Avengers Academy does play really fair. If you unlock an item, any task you have ongoing will have the item added to its rewards.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

For Academy, do I actually need Iron Widow for anything if I bought Wonderman? Those daggers are too much of a commodity for me to waste on a costume, but I also lost a week in the Guardians event because I didn't realize you needed Wasp's alt to move the story along

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm sure the event will throw some use at her before long. That's what happened with Iron Man and Wasp after all.

Edit - wait. Iron Widow doesn't require daggers.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 7, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Opopanax posted:

For Academy, do I actually need Iron Widow for anything if I bought Wonderman? Those daggers are too much of a commodity for me to waste on a costume, but I also lost a week in the Guardians event because I didn't realize you needed Wasp's alt to move the story along

Probably, but as Razorsaw said Widow doesn't even use daggers.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah my bad. Guess it's just the cost of the vibrainium.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I say that Iron Widow is going to be really important. One thing found in the Reddit page for Avengers Academy (which is a great source for info and for data mining) says that after you do some story specific quests with her she gets added to the Mission Board for a (relatively) quick mission that gives important rewards.

Basically she is an investment, so get her.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Iron Widow has an action where she Solid Snakes it around, so that alone is worth it.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.

twistedmentat posted:

Iron Widow has an action where she Solid Snakes it around, so that alone is worth it.

I sent her on that task and didn't pay attention to her animation before moving on to other things, then a few hours later when checking back in I saw a cardboard box running around and was reallllllllllllly confused.

Also these daggers are absolutely brutal to get and is making me completely ignore the Cap side of the event so far, since I need all of those vibranium hex things I can muster to make as many Hydra murdering robots as possible since only the red Hydra guys give daggers...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's odd there's no premium hex item. That seems to be the main limiting factor right now.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I image items like daggers will be more plentiful in the upcoming episodes. Chitauri Armors were slow to come by early in the GOTG event too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

I image items like daggers will be more plentiful in the upcoming episodes. Chitauri Armors were slow to come by early in the GOTG event too.

Definitely, especially with the bobblehead needing 80, but they also didn't start with Star Lord needing so many in GOTG.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.

Aphrodite posted:

It's odd there's no premium hex item. That seems to be the main limiting factor right now.

Especially since they seem to be one of those "tied to Heroic missions only" items which means it takes even longer to get those than any other item other than the plans and reactors. At least by the time I get around to recruiting Panther with the daggers I'll have a ton of the battle plans to pump out recruits....

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Aphrodite posted:

Wonderman has two different actions to generate them so I guess he counts

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

Opopanax posted:

.........god dammit I need to pay closer attention to things like this.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Opopanax posted:

True. 3 hours for one of 8 for 3, which I guess actually is in line with the generators.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Aphrodite posted:

Definitely, especially with the bobblehead needing 80, but they also didn't start with Star Lord needing so many in GOTG.

well, by the end of GoTG's event I was swimming in 180 advanced chitauri armors and I didn't even pay for anything except characters and a generator.

so I guess it balances out.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I love Dr Pym in this game. He's just so willing to own being a mad scientist.

Event-wise I've unlocked Iron Widow, the Wakandan Embassy Stark-bot construction but now no matter how many jobs I clear none of them are dropping any materials, where before I had production up and running plenty came up. Has it been like that for anyone else?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That's weird. I'd contact support.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
To be specific I've got exactly one job dropping anything, which popped after clearing the last drop I was waiting on. Everything else has been nothing but vibranium. The Dorm waiting to upgrade might be affecting what jobs are available or the RNG might be against me, I'll have to wait a bit and see.

Not a big fan of jobs that require multiple characters to use the same building one at a time, by the way.

On the bright side, Iron Widow's stealth mode is the best

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The only bad one like that is the 2 Hulks heroic.

In most cases they're setup so that the 2 that use the same building combine for less time than the 3rd's action.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Aphrodite posted:

The only bad one like that is the 2 Hulks heroic.

In most cases they're setup so that the 2 that use the same building combine for less time than the 3rd's action.

Yeah if you ever get the Red Hulk/ Abomb mission involving the quinn jet, you are always better off skipping it rather then tie the building up for 16 hours.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Probably worth linking the Future Fight Games thread up top.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Academy just opened up the next part with a bunch of content.

Agent 13 available, Spiderman and Sif are the other gold characters, and Cap Falcon is out.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So it seems like academy is pretty stingy with the crystals they give. Do you only get like 5 when you level up?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

MarcusSA posted:

So it seems like academy is pretty stingy with the crystals they give. Do you only get like 5 when you level up?

Four when you level up, some more per day from watching ads and log-in bonuses and stuff like that, and apparently you can get one per character you unlock if you hold your finger on them for long enough. So yeah, it's going to be a while until you get enough for anything worth caring about.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you buy anything, you stop receiving ads to earn crystals.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Lurks With Wolves posted:

you can get one per character you unlock if you hold your finger on them for long enough.

That's the 3D touch, which is only for iphone 6s/6s+.

Also, yeah if you buy shards/credits you don't get ads anymore. Buying characters/stuff with shards is fine tho.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Four when you level up, some more per day from watching ads and log-in bonuses and stuff like that, and apparently you can get one per character you unlock if you hold your finger on them for long enough. So yeah, it's going to be a while until you get enough for anything worth caring about.

Oh weird I don't see any log in stuff or ads. Maybe im not looking in the right place.

I got the shard for each character though.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 12, 2016

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Which of these games has Carol Danvers and is therefore the best?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

AfroSquirrel posted:

Which of these games has Carol Danvers and is therefore the best?

She's in Future Fight, Conquest of Champions and Puzzle Quest. She's mentioned in dialog on Academy a lot though, so she'll probably be introduced in the future.

How long do you have to hold your finger on someone? And do you do it in the man quad screen or in the action select one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

She's in Future Fight, Conquest of Champions and Puzzle Quest. She's mentioned in dialog on Academy a lot though, so she'll probably be introduced in the future.

How long do you have to hold your finger on someone? And do you do it in the man quad screen or in the action select one?

It's a hard press in the main screen and it only takes a second.

• Locked thread