Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I liked the first Ralph, but the trailer for the new one being all "It's Disney, where everything that's the bestest and so cool comes together in one place!" rubbed me so wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I actually really liked Ralph Breaks the Internet because it's all about toxic/healthy friendships plus Wonder Woman as a street racer was the absolute bomb.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

I liked the first Ralph, but the trailer for the new one being all "It's Disney, where everything that's the bestest and so cool comes together in one place!" rubbed me so wrong.

:same:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Big surprise, Into the Spider-Verse is great.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Arist posted:

Big surprise, Into the Spider-Verse is great.

Speaking of: https://www.spiderversetickets.co.uk/ Early showings on the 6th Dec for the Medicinema charity, which is cool.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Did it release internationally already?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

If Japanese spider man and Leopardon doesn't show up for in spider verse or its sequel I am going to be so mad you guys.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Barry Convex posted:

Speculation is that the Avengers 4 trailer will drop tomorrow, as Collider is hosting a special screening of Infinity War with the Russos. But we’ll see.

looks increasingly unlikely to happen today but it’ll probably drop by the end of next week imo

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Turns out the rights to Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head were harder to acquire than they expected

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Lurdiak posted:

I hope they finally cast Brock Lesnar as Gavok.

I've always preferred HHH

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Schneider Heim posted:

I actually really liked Ralph Breaks the Internet because it's all about toxic/healthy friendships plus Wonder Woman as a street racer was the absolute bomb.

yea that was pretty awesome. Like I didn't think the movie was bad just that the quest being to make money to buy a steering wheel from Ebay is pretty lame. That and the product placements were really intrusive.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

This thread has too many quips.

This is the one complaint I will never be able to understand about Marvel movies.
Whenever I see someone seriously say this I just ignore what has been said.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

The Question IRL posted:

This thread has too many quips.

This is the one complaint I will never be able to understand about Marvel movies.
Whenever I see someone seriously say this I just ignore what has been said.

For me the only movie that’s a valid criticism for is Age Of Ultron, where it really seemed out of character at certain points and was distracting. No issues with the jokes in any others.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not the whole movie but "How is that a party?" is such a loving stupid line and joke.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Dacap posted:

For me the only movie that’s a valid criticism for is Age Of Ultron, where it really seemed out of character at certain points and was distracting. No issues with the jokes in any others.

I thought it was out of place in Infinity War, given how we knew it wouldn't end well for a lot of people

Probably feels very off in a rewatch.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Aphrodite posted:

It's not the whole movie but "How is that a party?" is such a loving stupid line and joke.

I also really hated the line where Ultron was struggling to remember the word “children”. Also Joss’ favourite on-screen joke of someone falling face first into a woman’s boobs, the gag he loved so much he reused it in JL

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You're not doing it right Ezra. Gal, lay down real quick I'm going to show Ezra how to do it a few times.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The only one that I thought was really awful was at the end of Thor Ragnorak. And maybe the Dr Strange death scene.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fangz posted:

The only one that I thought was really awful was at the end of Thor Ragnorak. And maybe the Dr Strange death scene.

The joke at the end of Ragnarok is fine if the explosion is the punchline.

Having the follow-up line kills it dead.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Aphrodite posted:

The joke at the end of Ragnarok is fine if the explosion is the punchline.

Having the follow-up line kills it dead.

This I agree with as someone who generally thinks the comedy in Ragnarok is great and doesn't clash with the story at all. In that instance, they do manage to merge comedy and pathos, they just try to get another comedic beat out of it and it doesn't work.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/1068176262127124480?s=19

quote:

"I think it was more emotional for him than it was for us, mostly cause he’s not done yet," Russo told USA Today. "I don’t want to explain what I mean, but audiences will soon understand."

quote:

Interestingly, in another interview, the Russos confessed they'll be "taking a break from superhero movies" after the release of Avengers 4. However, when asked what could get them to return for more Marvel Studios films, Joe Russo had a quick answer - one that may hint at what's in store for the MCU.

"Not until they're ready to make Secret Wars."

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hell yeah give me Secret Wars and God Doom.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Getting hung up on the “quips” is a lazy, superficial criticism. Most of the Marvel movies are structured that way; they are ostensibly light, fun action movies with people being funny and clever. If you take that at face value, they’re easy to dismiss. But even if you only barely scratch the surface, there’s more going on. It requires only the barest amount of examination, but that’s more than some people care to do.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you did that on purpose that's loving amazing.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Aphrodite posted:

It sounds like explaining the joke every time. Also the end of Ragnarok quip that everyone hates. And tbh I didn't think Drax's nipples or turds were worth a chuckle.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
tbf i think the drax turds thing wasnt supposed to be the joke in itself as much as it was gamora being stuck with all these goddamn idiots who think its funny

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

You're not doing it right Ezra. Gal, lay down real quick I'm going to show Ezra how to do it a few times.

That was Gal's stunt double. And I would have to look it up, but I think Gal didn't know that scene was in the movie until she saw it, which makes it even more gross.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh that's true. There were a couple of stunt double rear end foreground focus shots Whedon put in there too. I'm 90% sure the upskirt interrogation scene was also one of his reshoots, though the other one people complained about on the bat excavator I think was Snyder.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The only interrogation scene I remember is Batman trying to interrogate a parademon and I guess I must have missed the parademon upskirt.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Aphrodite posted:

The only interrogation scene I remember is Batman trying to interrogate a parademon and I guess I must have missed the parademon upskirt.

In the bank robbery she catches a guy for no real reason before stopping the robbery and interrogates him with the lasso, standing on top of a ledge and dangling him with the camera under the goon looking up at her. A lot of malice was attributed to this shot in reviews, but I think it was just incompetence

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dacap posted:

I also really hated the line where Ultron was struggling to remember the word “children”. Also Joss’ favourite on-screen joke of someone falling face first into a woman’s boobs, the gag he loved so much he reused it in JL

My least favourite lines in Age of Ultron are when Ultron gets shut out of the Internet and he goes, "You shut me out... YOU THINK I CARE?!" and then at the end where he goes, "Thor... You're... bothering me..."

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
My least favorite was that part when Black Widow and Banner were talking and she went straight from "Yeah, the Red Room sterilized me" to "I'm a monster too". I've seen that movie a couple times and every time I first tense up in outrage before realizing that that last line was referring to the whole of the conversation. I hope.

Jesus, be more loving careful where you put your lines, Wheden!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Both Snyder and Whedon are constantly guilty of over-sexualizing women in their work, trying to guess which sexist directed the sexist shots in JL is a fool's game.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hell yeah give me Secret Wars and God Doom.

Unfortunately they were talking about Secret Wars II.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Phylodox posted:

Getting hung up on the “quips” is a lazy, superficial criticism. Most of the Marvel movies are structured that way; they are ostensibly light, fun action movies with people being funny and clever. If you take that at face value, they’re easy to dismiss. But even if you only barely scratch the surface, there’s more going on. It requires only the barest amount of examination, but that’s more than some people care to do.

There usually isn't. MCU are great adaptions of comic books in that they're light entertainment, like soap opera for nerds. They're a vehicle for the fans favourite heroes to meet and be funny and interact and have some fight scenes, but there's usually little beyond that

Lurdiak posted:

Both Snyder and Whedon are constantly guilty of over-sexualizing women in their work, trying to guess which sexist directed the sexist shots in JL is a fool's game.

Unfortunately they were talking about Secret Wars II.

I'd argue Snyder sexualizes men more than women

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

McCloud posted:

I'd argue Snyder sexualizes men more than women

I barely tolerate that argument about Joel Schumacher, you'd have to do some serious work to convince me to accept it for Zack "Sucker Punch" Snyder.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

McCloud posted:

There usually isn't. MCU are great adaptions of comic books in that they're light entertainment, like soap opera for nerds. They're a vehicle for the fans favourite heroes to meet and be funny and interact and have some fight scenes, but there's usually little beyond that

This is outright infuriating because it's a blatant refusal to even try to apply your premises equally. Black Panther is one of the most semiotically dense and interesting blockbusters of the year and you're saying poo poo like this? Go away.

e: Not to mention you also implicitly poo poo on comics as a medium for storytelling here too. Why even post here?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oh right, why am I replying to McCloud?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I barely tolerate that argument about Joel Schumacher, you'd have to do some serious work to convince me to accept it for Zack "Sucker Punch" Snyder.

I mean, the point of SP is about the sexualization of women and the fetishization of the strong woman trope while having her provocatively dressed. They're not there for your titillation, and the scenes they are scantily clad in are equated with sexual abuse.

In addition, the camera avoids sexualizing them by not lingering on their butts or zooms in on their cleavege or by having upskirt shots or what have you.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

WB has announced a stand alone Blue Beetle movie (Jaime Reyes version.)
https://www.thewrap.com/jaime-reyes-blue-beetle-latino-superhero/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

McCloud posted:

I mean, the point of SP is about the sexualization of women and the fetishization of the strong woman trope while having her provocatively dressed. They're not there for your titillation, and the scenes they are scantily clad in are equated with sexual abuse.

In addition, the camera avoids sexualizing them by not lingering on their butts or zooms in on their cleavege or by having upskirt shots or what have you.

Yeah except female bodies in sexualized agony/torture/disempowerment is still a trope that this movie just... does without real counter commentary

Saying "yeah but I knew it was bad when I did it" is no kind of commentary or critique when you just replicate all the tropes without subverting them. But we've all spun these wheels before and it's clear the Snyder defenders in here believe that lovingly and unwaveringly replicating images of misogynist and fascist visual/narrative language without subverting or critiquing them within the piece of media itself is actually identical to a scathing rebuke of said images for some inscrutable reason

• Locked thread