Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Sion posted:

It's funny you think he'd still be in his seat instead of standing up and screaming at the screen marching to the director's house with gun in hand unhinging his jaw and singing the death song that ends the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I for one am looking forward to the imminent casting shitstorm over Danielle Moonstar and Roberto da Costa.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Not gonna lie, I'm super curious to see how they intend to handle Magik in the New Mutants movie. The rest of the New Mutants are fundamentally pretty straightforward, but comic-book Magik is... not. The time traveling component of her mutant power is alone would make her a somewhat difficult character to handle from a storytelling perspective, and that's something that requires far less exposition than anything to do with Belasco/Limbo/the Soulsword/the bloodstones/the Darkchild/being a literal witch. There are a lot of ways you can deal with it, but I legitimately have no idea what movie-Magik is going be like, while I can envision the rest of the team pretty easily.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Has anyone seen Cap in Imax? If so is it worth it? Or is it like AOU where the opening scene looks cooler and everything else looks normal?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

notthegoatseguy posted:

Has anyone seen Cap in Imax? If so is it worth it? Or is it like AOU where the opening scene looks cooler and everything else looks normal?

I believe they said the entire airport scene was shot in imax, as a test since they're shooting all of Infinity War in it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

LGD posted:

Not gonna lie, I'm super curious to see how they intend to handle Magik in the New Mutants movie. The rest of the New Mutants are fundamentally pretty straightforward, but comic-book Magik is... not. The time traveling component of her mutant power is alone would make her a somewhat difficult character to handle from a storytelling perspective, and that's something that requires far less exposition than anything to do with Belasco/Limbo/the Soulsword/the bloodstones/the Darkchild/being a literal witch. There are a lot of ways you can deal with it, but I legitimately have no idea what movie-Magik is going be like, while I can envision the rest of the team pretty easily.

Ignore it all and give her magic. Nobody will be confused, because it's her name.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

This theater is packed.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Magik just needs to have the big sword, teleport and demonic magic. You can certainly have the Colossus big brother stuff too, but like Billy and Teddy, you can simplify without losing much of the character.

So Watching Winter Soldier, I've only been to DC twice, and only ever went to the touristy places, though i'm sure a goon who knows more about the layout, what part of the city is Caps apartment?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Little Mac posted:

This theater is packed.

So is mine and the movie doesn't start for 35 minutes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm about 15 minutes away from leaving for my theater, it's literally a 5 minute walk from the house, but I'm expecting the same considering they've added three more showings in the last hour.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Glad the theater we are seeing it has assigned seating.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Winter Soldier had a 95M opening weekend.
Avengers had 207M.
BvS had 166M.
Star Wars had 248M.

Civil War already broke the pre-sale record BvS set.

Over or under: 205M opening weekend

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I know it was tracking higher that Age of Ultron.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Heathen posted:

Winter Soldier had a 95M opening weekend.
Avengers had 207M.
BvS had 166M.
Star Wars had 248M.

Civil War already broke the pre-sale record BvS set.

Over or under: 205M opening weekend

In going to guess somewhere around Age of Ultron, plus or minus five million. I'm leaning that it won't break $200M. The packed theater I'm sitting in 20 minute ms before showtime makes me rethink that.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Age of Ultron was 191M.

I listed the first Avengers because it had good word of mouth while AoU was more tepid. Civil War has been getting good buzz so I think 200M is doable. It's tracking at 215M which I think is generous. 205M wouldn't surprise me.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Didn't Batman V Superman or AOU open on a holiday weekend? Civil War won't have that.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
BvS opened on Easter.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Hakkesshu posted:

Has the Old Man Logan stuff actually been confirmed, I thought that was just a rumor

As I understand; it has been heavily hinted by Hugh Jackman (to the point that at Comic-con somewhere he said "I got three words for you: Old Man Logan") but since then there's been casting rumors that suggest that they're either not going with it or heavily modifying it (which they would need to do anyway so that's hardly surprising). Some rumors based on a casting call for a young girl/woman suggest X-23 might be in the film.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

notthegoatseguy posted:

Didn't Batman V Superman or AOU open on a holiday weekend? Civil War won't have that.

It is Mother's Day but who knows how many people are taking their moms to see Captain America.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Travis343 posted:

It is Mother's Day but who knows how many people are taking their moms to see Captain America.

The same people who took their girlfriend to see Deadpool when it opened on Valentine's Day weekend.

The same people who will drive by the homeless veteran on Memorial Day weekend to see X-Men Apocalypse.

I'm not sure why holiday weekends would make a difference. How hard do you celebrate that you can't squeeze in a three hour window to watch a movie?

And if it does affect the box office that's on the studio. They aren't assigned the dates, they pick them. No one in a movie studio knows how to work a calendar?

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Theater is full. Ton of people wearing Cap shirts too

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Travis343 posted:

Heathen posted:

The same people who took their girlfriend to see Deadpool when it opened on Valentine's Day weekend.

The same people who will drive by the homeless veteran on Memorial Day weekend to see X-Men Apocalypse.

I'm not sure why holiday weekends would make a difference. How hard do you celebrate that you can't squeeze in a three hour window to watch a movie?

And if it does affect the box office that's on the studio. They aren't assigned the dates, they pick them. No one in a movie studio knows how to work a calendar?

Legit no joke my mom wants to go see Civil War for Mother's Day and my gf wanted to go see Deadpool on Valentine's. I don't even like going to the movies on opening weekend.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I really don't see the issue with taking your mom to go see Captain America on Mother's Day. Marvel movies are super popular with women (well, more accurately, they're popular with everyone) and it's not exactly like Mother's Day is one of those holidays of quiet reflection, you buy your mom a bouquet of flowers and call her to thank her for being born. There's not really a whole, like, ritual to it. You wish your mom well and maybe take her out to lunch, that's kinda it.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Deadpool is also great for International Women's Day.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Review: That was good.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

I really don't see the issue with taking your mom to go see Captain America on Mother's Day. Marvel movies are super popular with women (well, more accurately, they're popular with everyone) and it's not exactly like Mother's Day is one of those holidays of quiet reflection, you buy your mom a bouquet of flowers and call her to thank her for being born. There's not really a whole, like, ritual to it. You wish your mom well and maybe take her out to lunch, that's kinda it.

Or, in this case, take her to a movie starring that nice Chris Evans boy she's seen on Ellen.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That owned.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That was a pretty good movie. My largest complaint is that I really had no real sympathy for Captain America. He basically handwaved about "we have to take our own responsibility, what if they don't let us do stuff?!" which felt pretty weak and it kind of fell into the Civil War trap of having Tony Stark do more and more lovely stuff to distract from that. Him turning out to be 100% correct and right felt sort of eh, alright? I guess the Avengers really shouldn't have any oversight but also Tony Stark was right but only if he doesn't actually try to enforce his law against the right people?

The airport fight scene was tops though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AngryBooch posted:

Legit no joke my mom wants to go see Civil War for Mother's Day and my gf wanted to go see Deadpool on Valentine's. I don't even like going to the movies on opening weekend.

Same. My mom's request of the family for something nice to do for her was to go see Civil War.

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there

AngryBooch posted:

Over here Mother's Day is on the 10th, and my brother and I are taking her to see CW on the 9th (because on Mother's Day everything is loving packed), plus we're gonna make BBQ Ribs as a surprise because it's her favorite food :shobon:. Many of my classmates told me they're going to go with their moms for the same reason.

Also, I know many theaters were full on the 30th because it was Children's Day.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Not really sure what to say after seeing that movie except it was basically everything I hoped a comic book movie could be the first time I saw one. That airport scene . . .

Also I hope Marvel's casting department is really loving well paid. Boseman and Holland were perfect. Black Panther was fantastic.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Controversial opinion alert! I think Zemo is my favorite MCU film villain. The part isn't large, there's not much screen time, and he's very much not the traditional villain. Nor does he have much in common with the comic version, but I loved the way he was used and Daniel Bruhl's performance was excellent.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like how Black Panther is the dude who gets the thematic and personal closure in the film. Cap and Tony just beat the poo poo out of each other and Zemo wins while T'challa is the only dude who actually learns something and develops.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'll be interesting to see the international.

Captain America previously didn't do so good in many countries because he's Captain America. But everyone knows this is basically Avengers.

Vintimus Prime posted:

Theater is full. Ton of people wearing Cap shirts too

They chose the wrong side.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

X-O posted:

Controversial opinion alert! I think Zemo is my favorite MCU film villain. The part isn't large, there's not much screen time, and he's very much not the traditional villain. Nor does he have much in common with the comic version, but I loved the way he was used and Daniel Bruhl's performance was excellent.

He had more screen time than I expected given some of the reviews I read. I agree with you for the most part, I thought he was great. He's just a dude and was able to bring down the Avengers, impressive stuff.

Edit: I hope Coogler keeps the same fighting/movement style for BP in his movie. I thought it was unique and worked really well.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 6, 2016

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Aphrodite posted:

I'll be interesting to see the international.

Captain America previously didn't do so good in many countries because he's Captain America. But everyone knows this is basically Avengers.

They chose the wrong side.

It's already passed a quarter billion internationally, broke some records even and it's yet to even debut in China. This is gonna be a freaking strong movie.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don't think it's fair to say that Tony was 100 % right. His fixation on adhering to the accords and hold everyone together blinds him to the enemy that's manipulating them. He's focused too much inward, on not losing the friends he's made, to make up for his past sins. He can't see that Zemo is manipulating them, he's fixated on trying to do the right thing. Meanwhile, Bucky is not only innocent, he's been weaponized against them, to play on their insecurities.

In the comic, he leaps over the moral event horizon in the name of the greater good, all in the name of a mistake someone else made. Here, he does it because of guilt and regret over his own actions, and his own trauma being used against him. He loses sight of Zemo time and time again because he's focused inward.

Of course, Steve isn't right either. He's laser focused on trusting only the direction in front of him. His rebellious spirit and his clear vision are targeted forward, not on those around him. He makes decisions based on what he thinks is better for others, not out of apathy, but because his unflinching spirit is convinced and certain.

Tony Stark didn't have faith in himself. Steve didn't have faith in Tony Stark. Zemo exploited that and had them betray each other. Only T'Challa, an outsider looking in, a man who wasn't an Avenger, saw the big picture in the end. You're right that their emotional arcs aren't concluded, but the movie shows they've recognized a bit of the problem within themselves and have the strength to overcome them.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I went in staunchly and unabashedly Team Cap and thought there was no way I would change that. I came out either on Team Panther or maybe even Team Wanda. Hell possibly even on Team Zemo.

I feel Steve was right in theory but wrong in practice. And Tony was wrong in theory but right in practice. Which is not how I expected to see it at all.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Another thing that I thought was just fantastic is how every character really felt like they had their moment. The Russos did a good job balancing a large number of characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Actually scratch that, I'm on Team Bucky because holy poo poo has that dude been totally screwed over time and again.

• Locked thread