Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nadir
Apr 12, 2003

It's only up from here
Civil War is definitely my favorite MCU movie.

While the Civil War comic obviously had its flaws, it did have some great moments and one of my favorites was sorta in the movie

Sharon Carter at the funeral: "...the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."" I don't know if she said it verbatim, but hearing it was cool and awesome and I like that little nod

Also Tony's suit analyzing Cap's fighting style was another cool comic Civil War throw in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Every character was amazing. Even though Hawkeye was only in the film for a short time, he showed more personality than in both Avengers films combined. His barbs at Tony were incredible.

I'm not a big Black Panther fan, but loved him here. Really excited for his film now. Not as much as for Spider-Man though. Holland is hands down the best one ever.

Just a wonderful film. I wasn't expecting the footage of Bucky killing the Stark family to be so brutal. And Bucky himself showing his remorse with his face and then telling Tony that he remembers every one he killed... Man I hope Bucky gets a break soon.

I'm excited to see it again. I wanted it to be even longer, but at the same time I'm completely satisfied with it.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
What a wonderful film. I was so engrossed that I completely forgot Spider-Man was going to be in movie. And my favorite Avengers, Clint and Scott, got cool moments.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Reset Smith posted:

What a wonderful film. I was so engrossed that I completely forgot Spider-Man was going to be in movie. And my favorite Avengers, Clint and Scott, got cool moments.

Same here. I loved every scene Clint and Scott were in.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
They did the cover. That's all I've ever really wanted to see in an Avengers movie.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

X-O posted:

Controversial opinion alert! I think Zemo is my favorite MCU film villain. The part isn't large, there's not much screen time, and he's very much not the traditional villain. Nor does he have much in common with the comic version, but I loved the way he was used and Daniel Bruhl's performance was excellent.

:agreed:

It was a really good subversion of a villain's grand plans, albeit undertold. I was left wanting more because what we got was really good, as opposed to, say, Ant-Man, where the underpinnings of a good villain were there in Cross but told disjointedly.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

X-O posted:

Actually scratch that, I'm on Team Bucky because holy poo poo has that dude been totally screwed over time and again.

Im guessing that Tony's holographic flashback machine is going to be used to help deprogram Bucky, and that he'll become the or a new Cap at some point.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
This was so good. I had just watched Winter Soldier right before I left for work this evening and, even with that fresh in my mind, Civil War just blew it away. Holy poo poo, this is how you get heroes to fight and actually care about the results! Marvel killed it. I feel so bad for DC.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh man.

This film gave me the biggest headache.

But like in a good way. In a sensory overload kind of way.

And not even just in that way, but also like...a way where I was really, seriously, absolutely emotionally-invested in everything that was going on. Like, I cared too much and felt too much and the feedback was actually painful. :stare:

Possible controversial opinion alert! I thought the threeway fight between Cap, Tony, and Bucky at the end was better-done and more captivating than the airport fight. The latter was a spectacle and well worth the price of admission. The former though...holy poo poo. I felt more for Tony Stark in ten minutes than I have in five whole other tolerable-to-great films. To see that rage coming, to know exactly where the plot was leading and how everything came full circle to that exact reaction between those three characters...I think that is easily one of the top five favorite Marvel film moments for me.

More thoughts to come. After I gorge on some Advils.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Civil War was way more impressive than I had hoped for, it quickly dethroned Winter Soldier/Guardians as my joint #1 MCU film so far. I loved how it was at times an international political thriller, a very personal and intense mystery/revenge film, and a superhero popcorn movie, all without ever diminishing any of those aspects in favor of the others. The Russos did a great job with this one, bigger in scope than Winter Soldier but tighter in focus, sometimes to a brutal, claustrophobic degree.

I was looking forward to and immensely enjoyed the Bug Brothers, but Panther and Zemo really stole the show for me; Zemo especially, as I was wary of how one of my favorite antihero/villains would be portrayed, and while he's functionally not comic Zemo, he's the character to a T in spirit.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yvonmukluk posted:

Im guessing that Tony's holographic flashback machine is going to be used to help deprogram Bucky, and that he'll become the or a new Cap at some point.

Maybe they'll even use extremis to give him a normal arm back.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The end with Zemo and T'Challa really worked for me. I loved that scene.

Lotta heart was put into this film.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Boseman is phenomenal and I had a massive smile on my face whenever Holland was onscreen.

E: Also gonna echo X-O in how great I thought Zemo was.

Arist fucked around with this message at 11:11 on May 6, 2016

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh yeah and how 'bout that young Tony Stark. Witchcraft is what it is.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

teagone posted:

Maybe they'll even use extremis to give him a normal arm back.

Maybe they could use it fix Rhodey's spine, too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Oh yeah and how 'bout that young Tony Stark. Witchcraft is what it is.

Oh yeah. It was decently done in Ant-Man with Douglas, but it's eerie with RDJ. Like they dragged him off the set of Chaplin or Ally McBeal or something.

X-O posted:

Actually scratch that, I'm on Team Bucky because holy poo poo has that dude been totally screwed over time and again.

The correct team. And I kinda hope Stan's in the Black Panther movie now.

Nadir posted:

Civil War is definitely my favorite MCU movie.

While the Civil War comic obviously had its flaws, it did have some great moments and one of my favorites was sorta in the movie

Sharon Carter at the funeral: "...the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."" I don't know if she said it verbatim, but hearing it was cool and awesome and I like that little nod

It's not verbatim, but reframing it as a response to institutionalised sexism is a way of salvaging what comes across as a pretty stubborn and short-sighted POV. Plus the lead-in is different. "Compromise where you can.... and where you can't? Don't."

NotALizardman posted:

Same here. I loved every scene Clint and Scott were in.

The prison scene is especially good for them both. Though I've seen it twice and both times Rudd's delivery as he hands Cap the shield and when he meets Wanda crack me up.

Oh, and Clint's back and forth with Iron Man at the airport about golf.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 13:52 on May 6, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Stop making me jealous and watch the Deadpool gag reel.
https://vimeo.com/165389267

So, Ryan Reynolds is literally irl Deadpool and every line from this reel that he or TJ Miller say could've easily made the movie, it's really impressive how quick on their feet they are.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

It's not verbatim, but reframing it as a response to institutionalised sexism is a way of salvaging what comes across as a pretty stubborn and short-sighted POV. Plus the lead-in is different. "Compromise where you can.... and where you can't? Don't."

My only problem with the reframing is that it ends up making Cap go "Hm, this woman had difficulties and troubles related to sexism. What does that mean for me, the Man, and my own issues?" Which is unintentional but a little goofy..

Also yes Young Tony Stark was frigging eerie. I really thought they were reusing old footage or something for a minute.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Stop making me jealous and watch the Deadpool gag reel.
https://vimeo.com/165389267

So, Ryan Reynolds is literally irl Deadpool and every line from this reel that he or TJ Miller say could've easily made the movie, it's really impressive how quick on their feet they are.

Best parts are Carano actually punching Reynolds for the Rosie O'Donnell crack, and the International Women's Day out-take, which I actually think might be funnier than the version in the movie. Like, if the gag was him being uncomfortable at first, then getting into it? C'mon, that's way better!

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Heathen posted:

The same people who took their girlfriend to see Deadpool when it opened on Valentine's Day weekend.

The same people who will drive by the homeless veteran on Memorial Day weekend to see X-Men Apocalypse.

I'm not sure why holiday weekends would make a difference. How hard do you celebrate that you can't squeeze in a three hour window to watch a movie?

And if it does affect the box office that's on the studio. They aren't assigned the dates, they pick them. No one in a movie studio knows how to work a calendar?

My mom has established a tradition, starting with Avengers, where my sister and I take her to a Marvel movie every Mother's Day, because there's almost always one happening. She loves them. We get pizza after. It's a great tradition.

My gf was the one who convinced me to take her to Deadpool for Valentine's Day. She's been a long time fan and I was reticent cause I was worried the movie would reek of sloppy tryhard, but as soon as those opening credits rolled, I knew she'd made the right choice.

I'm probably taking a pass on X-Men and waiting to rent it.

I think your demographic assumptions may be off.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Marvel Movies actually tend to do pretty well with women. I don't know how BvS did, but MoS and the X-Men movies were heavily slanted towards men.

The first Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy were like 52/48 and 54/46, which people were noting was part of the reason they did so well at the box office.

There weren't many great female characters in the first Avengers, so I blame the fact that Marvel apparently has a mandate to include 2-3 slow pans over a shirtless Chris Hemsworth in every movie he is in.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Marvel Movies actually tend to do pretty well with women. I don't know how BvS did, but MoS and the X-Men movies were heavily slanted towards men.

The first Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy were like 52/48 and 54/46, which people were noting was part of the reason they did so well at the box office.

There weren't many great female characters in the first Avengers, so I blame the fact that Marvel apparently has a mandate to include 2-3 slow pans over a shirtless Chris Hemsworth in every movie he is in.

You forgot putting Chris Evans in extremely tight shirts.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

mycot posted:

The moment in Civil War where Cap's holding the helicopter, then flips his grip, showing off his bicep?

My wife on my right and female friend on my left both went "WOW".

edit: Civil war is good. It's a good movie.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

mycot posted:

I get a little gayer with each Marvel movie

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

SlimGoodbody posted:

I get a little gayer with each Marvel movie

Wait, what is gay about two muscular men in tight pants and tank-tops chopping wood for 3 minutes and then staring into each other's eyes in silence?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think Tony and Steve should kiss

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Wait, what is gay about two muscular men in tight pants and tank-tops chopping wood for 3 minutes and then staring into each other's eyes in silence?

Ending with a shot of an exploding log (of wood).

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Fangz posted:

I think Tony and Steve should kiss

The final bit was Tony covering himself from Steve's Poor Man Cooties

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Avengers 2 is mediocre but I love that bit where Cap splits a log with his bare hands.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Does Spider-Man stay on Team Iron Man or does he switch sides? I don't want to see it until I know that one spoiler. :shobon:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Picklepuss posted:

Does Spider-Man stay on Team Iron Man or does he switch sides? I don't want to see it until I know that one spoiler. :shobon:

Team Iron Man. Until Tony benches him and sends him home after he gets banged up.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

X-O posted:

Team Iron Man. Until Tony benches him and sends him home after he gets banged up.
:( Well, now I know to stay home.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's the right side. Cap is a douche.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I enjoyed that Tom Holland is apparently able to go toe-to-toe with RDJ in terms of rapid-fire dialogue. I would watch a movie of just that. Neither of them need to suit up and fight bad guys.

Relatedly, "Homecoming", eh?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

It's the right side. Cap is a douche.

Seems like this movie is about choosing between a douche and a turd sandwich.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Picklepuss posted:

:( Well, now I know to stay home.

Well that's dumb.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

X-O posted:

Well that's dumb.
My life has been a series of dumb decisions, why should this be any different.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Picklepuss posted:

My life has been a series of dumb decisions, why should this be any different.

Because we finally get a good Spidey in a movie, it's been like 15 years in the making.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tom Holland is really an excellent Spider-Man. He's the right mix of snarky and dorky without being either a sadsack like Raimi's or a weird rear end in a top hat like Amazing. He's absolutely more along the lines of Ultimate than classic but that isn't really a big issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Since I really liked both the Garfield and McGuire versions, I'm really stoked to see how this dude apparently surpasses them all in like 20 minutes of screentime.

• Locked thread