Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Because we finally get a good Spidey in a movie, it's been like 15 years in the making.
See, for me a good Spidey wouldn't side with Iron Man. I'll admit though I've only seen three Marvel movies (Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, and the first Captain America) so I don't know if Cinematic Iron Man is the same fascist bastard that Comic Book Iron Man is. So I could be totally wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's not from the 1960s like McGuire, as a start.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Picklepuss posted:

See, for me a good Spidey wouldn't side with Iron Man. I'll admit though I've only seen three Marvel movies (Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, and the first Captain America) so I don't know if Cinematic Iron Man is the same fascist bastard that Comic Book Iron Man is. So I could be totally wrong.

Wait, you chose a side based off a character you've literally never seen in the film? :psyduck:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Prepare to be disappointed.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Picklepuss posted:

One of the dumbest things I've ever read tbh.

On a separate but related note, Holland's face when he sees Tony hitting on Aunt May is priceless.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

Wait, you chose a side based off a character you've literally never seen in the film? :psyduck:

mikeraskol posted:

One of the dumbest things I've ever read tbh.
Look, if I'm wrong and the Cinematic Iron Man and his side is totally different from the Comic Book one then I will apologize to anyone I offended, but I don't think it's ridiculous for me to look at a movie that's supposedly based on a comic story, with the same title even, and presume it's the same basic premise.

Also is there any reason for people to be so rude about this? I've not attacked anyone, I've not said anything nasty or hateful, and we're only talking about a movie for heaven's sake.

Picklepuss fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 6, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not based on the comic.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Picklepuss posted:

Look, if I'm wrong and the Cinematic Iron Man and his side is totally different from the Comic Book one then I will apologize to anyone I offended, but I don't think it's ridiculous for me to look at a movie that's supposedly based on a comic story, with the same title even, and presume it's the same basic premise.

It's not the same premise at all. They took some incredibly heavy license with adapting the story, to the point where the only similar factors are that Tony is pro, Steve is anti, and they fight at the end. The thing they're fighting over barely resembles what it was in the comics.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Picklepuss posted:

Probably just go see the movie and stop making incorrect assumptions. That would be the best course of action.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly, Iron Man isn't really fascist in CW. He's arguing fairly reasonably that maybe the people with immense superpowers who freely travel between nations should have some form of oversight rather than being trusted to do things on their own even when that has proven to backfire. He presents it in a bad way due to his own issues and beyond a certain point is determined to keep himself in check more than anyone else. Unlike in Civil War he arrests people for committing actual real crimes and is disgusted that that the Raft is used. He does have his hands tied about going after Zemo... except that turns out to be completely right and going after Zemo without any oversight is exactly what he expected and lead to the final fight.

Captain America on the other hand is basically going for Libertarian with the argument that the law doesn't apply to him and shouldn't apply to him because he knows he's doing the right thing and they have no right to stop him. Even though almost everything he does in the film is a mistake. The climax of the film is both Captain America and Iron Man playing directly into Zemo's trap in a way that wouldn't happen if either of them had been willing to compromise. The climax of the film is both sides beating the poo poo out of each other while T'challa, who is the only one able to move beyond his own issues, actually resolves the Zemo plot without being 'beaten' by Zemo.

The answer to Civil War is "wow, Tony and Steve are both kinda shitheads, shame for everyone they dragged into it."

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Picklepuss posted:

Also is there any reason for people to be so rude about this? I've not attacked anyone, I've not said anything nasty or hateful, and we're only talking about a movie for heaven's sake.

I shouldn't have been rude but your position is patently ridiculous and slightly divorced from reality. The Marvel movies (including Civil War) only loosely follow the comics and Tony Stark has 5 pre-Civil War movies worth of characterization that you haven't seen.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

zoux posted:

Since I really liked both the Garfield and McGuire versions, I'm really stoked to see how this dude apparently surpasses them all in like 20 minutes of screentime.

For me he surpassed them in about 2 minutes. Like, holy poo poo, this dude is Peter Parker.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Picklepuss posted:

Then watch the second Captain America movie, which is way better than the first, and then if you liked that one watch this one since it's a direct follow up and also both are Real Good Stuff.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Picklepuss posted:

So basically, you won't see this movie because it's not the way you envisioned it would be?

Echoing what others have said, this movie is absolutely nothing like the Civil War comic - it's in name only. People are being rude to you because you're being quick to judge a movie you haven't seen based on your incorrect assumptions.

It's okay though - my recommendation would be to see this, since this Spider-Man is the best we've gotten thus far.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly, Iron Man isn't really fascist in CW. He's arguing fairly reasonably that maybe the people with immense superpowers who freely travel between nations should have some form of oversight rather than being trusted to do things on their own even when that has proven to backfire. He presents it in a bad way due to his own issues and beyond a certain point is determined to keep himself in check more than anyone else. Unlike in Civil War he arrests people for committing actual real crimes and is disgusted that that the Raft is used. He does have his hands tied about going after Zemo... except that turns out to be completely right and going after Zemo without any oversight is exactly what he expected and lead to the final fight.

Captain America on the other hand is basically going for Libertarian with the argument that the law doesn't apply to him and shouldn't apply to him because he knows he's doing the right thing and they have no right to stop him. Even though almost everything he does in the film is a mistake. The climax of the film is both Captain America and Iron Man playing directly into Zemo's trap in a way that wouldn't happen if either of them had been willing to compromise. The climax of the film is both sides beating the poo poo out of each other while T'challa, who is the only one able to move beyond his own issues, actually resolves the Zemo plot without being 'beaten' by Zemo.

The answer to Civil War is "wow, Tony and Steve are both kinda shitheads, shame for everyone they dragged into it."

Cap ends the movie inflicting permanent brain damage on a bunch of innocent UN soldiers doing their jobs. So Tony comes out ahead there.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

ImpAtom posted:

Unlike in Civil War he arrests people for committing actual real crimes and is disgusted that that the Raft is used. He does have his hands tied about going after Zemo... except that turns out to be completely right and going after Zemo without any oversight is exactly what he expected and lead to the final fight.

Of course government oversight didn't stop Zemo from getting to Bucky in the first place, either. As Steve said, all it did was shift the blame. The UN isn't better than the Avengers. They aren't worse. They are just a different group of people making their own judgement calls. Ultimately Steve wants to be the one making the call for himself, and so does Tony. That's why he goes after Zemo. The Accords were always going to be a failure, because other than maybe Rhodes and Vision nobody really believed in them. They just believed that things would get worse if they didn't sign them. Steve wasn't willing to pretend, and Tony was willing to pretend to get leverage. Two different mindsets that were always going to be in conflict.

quote:

Even though almost everything he does in the film is a mistake.

I don't know, if he didn't go after Bucky Bucky probably would have killed a lot of cops and got away. Or gotten killed for something he didn't do, probably by poor T'Challa. Probably good he intervened. And he was absolutely willing to compromise until he heard Wanda was under house arrest. That was really the thing that kicked the whole conflict off, not Bucky. Bucky he just wanted to bring in on his own, it's Wanda that got him to flat out reject the Accords for the last time.

quote:

This though is fundamentally true.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Saw the movie and absolutely loved it. I came out of it with a pretty nice understanding of how both sides were right. Like Tony was right to say that they were more dangerous than Cap wanted to admit and needed some oversight. However, Cap was right that putting that oversight in the hands of some known assholes is a bad idea. The real conflict was just that neither one of them could back down. And sure it's a Captain America movie so eventually Tony starts making explicitly the wrong choices, but they had me goin there for a second. In the end Tony ended up being driven just a bit too much by his own emotion and guilt. You could argue Steve was experiencing the same thing, but he was ultimately right. Bucky was innocent and the people responsible for listening weren't interested in doing so. Whether or not he had the right to take matters into his own hands is up for debate.

The movie did such a good job of introducing Spidey and Black Panther without overdoing it. I'm just gonna echo that. Their characterization shone through, but with a sense of wanting to see more. Like a bit more than a taste, but less than a full bite. That's how you should introduce new superheroes in a group film. Now I'm really interested in seeing Black Panther. Hoping some of the Cap led Avengers (Secret Avengers? New Avengers? Great Lakes?) will cameo. Homecoming is likely to be great. There were so many things that had to be juggled and I don't feel like many were dropped in a noticeable way.

Marked so hard for Giant Man. I was wondering when they would do that with him. That entire scene, even though there were parts in the trailers, delivered. It was a good way to show off The Avengers while still keeping things focused on Cap and Bucky. Ant-Man, Spider-Man, Hawkeye, and a couple others were just there for the fireworks and I'm okay with that. I get the feeling this movie ended in a way that we will spend time with all of the non Cap and Iron Man people in their own movies.

Also holy poo poo did this movie get me invested. There were so many things to latch onto. It made me actually a little sad at the end when I kinda realized they couldn't all be friends again. Sure, they frame the airport as literally everyone pulling their punches, but Zemo was right when he pointed out how hard it would be to come back from what happened. Rhodey got paralyzed. Stark sent half the team to an underwater supermax prison. Bad moves all around.

Just wonderful stuff all around.

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 6, 2016

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
They really need to make an 80's golf sports movie for Hawkeye's solo movie. Introduce Bullseye there and you got something.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I only have one complaint about the film that comes to mind, about Ant-Man. Why does he pick Cap's side? The entire solo Ant-Man movie he makes it clear that he's doing things to keep his daughter in his life. He's trying to give up crime, and be more responsible. Why would he then sign up with someone who's very publicly going against the UN? He didn't seem to have any problems with it, and seemed eager to fight for him, so it wasn't the blackmail from breaking into Stark's armory from Ant-Man. At the end he's back in jail and away from his daughter. His best case scenario there is that he is living his life on the run, after very publicly fighting the Avengers. Either way, he's never going to see his daughter again if he fights for Cap.

Hell, he should have fought for Iron Man. That way he could get a stable job working for the UN as a hero, and everything he does is legal. It would be a steady, legal job, that would let him keep his family in his life.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Picklepuss posted:

:( Well, now I know to stay home.

This is an aggressively stupid reason to not see the movie.

Spider-man's role in Civil War is unrelated to the comic version.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Boogaleeboo posted:

Of course government oversight didn't stop Zemo from getting to Bucky in the first place, either. As Steve said, all it did was shift the blame. The UN isn't better than the Avengers. They aren't worse. They are just a different group of people making their own judgement calls. Ultimately Steve wants to be the one making the call for himself, and so does Tony. That's why he goes after Zemo. The Accords were always going to be a failure, because other than maybe Rhodes and Vision nobody really believed in them. They just believed that things would get worse if they didn't sign them. Steve wasn't willing to pretend, and Tony was willing to pretend to get leverage. Two different mindsets that were always going to be in conflict.

Tony did believe in the accords. He didn't believe that they were perfect but that it was better to start with something imperfect that was necessary and work to make it better. He even says as much in the film. He does argue that if they don't sign it will get worse but he also argues heavily in favor of what they represent.The one who is "I don't really believe at all but thinks they have no choice is Black Widow.

His biggest mistake in the film is actually ignoring what he was arguing himself (and for well-foreshadowed reasons.) Tony admits that part of his reason for pushing for the Accords is that he knows himself that without them he'll gently caress up. And he does. The climax of the film is Tony and Cap both doing things Cap's way which turns out to be exactly what the villain actually intended.

The major problem with Cap is that he doesn't have answers and he admits as much. He just wants to deal with the consequences as they come without acknowledging that the consequences exist. He saves Bucky's life but it comes at the cost of what appears to be a dozen other people's lives. Part of that is the failure of the system but part of it is also his own inability to accept consequences. That is the big reason why the climax happens. Captain America never actually told Tony who killed his parents because the consequences were too hard to deal with so he just let it keep going until it exploded. Tony is acting out of guilt and shame while Cap is ruggedly determined to believe he did the right thing regardless.

Neither side actually is in the right and that's the issue Zemo exploits. His entire plot would have collapsed if either side had been more willing to compromise but neither was. Early on Tony seriously tried to get Cap to compromise and Cap was unwilling and then by the airport fight Tony wasn't willing to listen even as Steve tried to explain that Bucky was being controlled. Cap ends up being 'in the right' only in that Tony is given more wrong moments rather than Steve actually being right. Both sides gently caress up hard and kinda-sorta acknowledge it by the end but in the end all they did was gently caress up.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

The major problem with Cap is that he doesn't have answers and he admits as much. He just wants to deal with the consequences as they come without acknowledging that the consequences exist. He saves Bucky's life but it comes at the cost of what appears to be a dozen other people's lives. Part of that is the failure of the system but part of it is also his own inability to accept consequences. That is the big reason why the climax happens. Captain America never actually told Tony who killed his parents because the consequences were too hard to deal with so he just let it keep going until it exploded. Tony is acting out of guilt and shame while Cap is ruggedly determined to believe he did the right thing regardless.

Just to be clear, unless I'm misinterpreting something Cap did not know who killed Tony's parents. He merely knew that they were murdered, which Tony did not even know until he saw the video. It was new to Cap as well that it was Bucky.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mikeraskol posted:

Just to be clear, unless I'm misinterpreting something Cap did not know who killed Tony's parents. He merely knew that they were murdered, which Tony did not even know until he saw the video. It was new to Cap as well that it was Bucky.

Cap knew they were murdered and while he didn't know it was Bucky he seemed to have a fairly good idea which is why he got worried as soon as the video popped up. Even knowing his family was murdered and not telling Tony is a pretty poo poo thing.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

mikeraskol posted:

I'd love some clarity on this. Our group discussed this last night and none of us remember Cap knowing this previously, but it certainly seemed like he was admitting to knowing it during the film.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

ImpAtom posted:

Tony did believe in the accords.

The absolute second they meaningfully get in his way and he can't just bluff his way around oversight he just fucks off and does what he wants. He doesn't believe in them. He just doesn't believe in himself either. That's the only difference between him and Captain America going into it. Tony is filled with guilt over what their actions have cost people, and Cap is more of a soldier and rationalizes loss as a thing that sometimes happens in the line of duty. Tony can't rationalize loss, so he clings to the idea of accountability. He just doesn't actually believe in that accountability when it comes time to be accountable to it. He just wants some authority figure to say what he's done is ok, that he's not a monster killing people's babies, and that he can put on his suit and help people with his conscience clean. And that's a perfectly noble and rational desire, it's just not particularly conductive to being a super-hero. And at the end of the day he is a super-hero.

quote:

Early on Tony seriously tried to get Cap to compromise and Cap was unwilling

Again, he absolutely was. He wanted a bit of oversight into how it would work, but he was absolutely willing to start to compromise until he heard about Wanda. That was it, that's the thing that broke them up. Tony being "pro-active" in getting in front of the situation and locking her up to keep her from scaring people. Tony doesn't do that, Steve sits down and signs it. Of course the ending might have still happened. You miss out on a bit of the emotional damage in the airport fight, but you'd still have Steve and Tony and some dead parents. Tony isn't right, Tony isn't wrong. Steve isn't right, Steve isn't wrong. They both made some mistakes and tried to do the best they could in a trying situational, and honestly they might have. That honestly might have been the best they could have done to navigate through some serious mindfucks. The only person in the 'right' is T'Challa. He recognizes that revenge is poison and lets it go, and saves the life of the man who killed his father so he can see justice. Not vengeance, but justice. And then he tries to help someone who so clearly hasn't been helped by anyone before. T'Challa comes out looking pretty good at the end of this one, and Steve and Tony both come out looking a bit sad and battered.

e: Also I thought the movie did a good job of keeping moments of levity while also keeping the emotion real. Never too jokey that it couldn't pivot into real poo poo without it seeming forced.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 6, 2016

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

King Burgundy posted:

I'd love some clarity on this. Our group discussed this last night and none of us remember Cap knowing this previously, but it certainly seemed like he was admitting to knowing it during the film.

He explicitly admits that he knew they were murdered. But he also says, right after Zemo shows the video, that he didn't know it was Bucky until that moment. As to when he learned that they were murdered, I think it was in Winter Soldier but I need to go back and re-watch.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 6, 2016

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

IUG posted:

I only have one complaint about the film that comes to mind, about Ant-Man. Why does he pick Cap's side?

I would assume Ant-Man chose Captain America's side because his mentor, Hank Pym, loving hates Stark, S.H.I.E.L.D. and the government. Also, he was probably "star struck", as others have said, when meeting Cap for the first time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Boogaleeboo posted:

The absolute second they meaningfully get in his way and he can't just bluff his way around oversight he just fucks off and does what he wants. He doesn't believe in them. He just doesn't believe in himself either. That's the only difference between him and Captain America going into it. Tony is filled with guilt over what their actions have cost people, and Cap is more of a soldier and rationalizes loss as a thing that sometimes happens in the line of duty. Tony can't rationalize loss, so he clings to the idea of accountability. He just doesn't actually believe in that accountability when it comes time to be accountable to it. He just wants some authority figure to say what he's done is ok, that he's not a monster killing people's babies, and that he can put on his suit and help people with his conscience clean. And that's a perfectly noble and rational desire, it's just not particularly conductive to being a super-hero. And at the end of the day he is a super-hero.

Tony does believe in them. The fact that he goes against them is because he is (unsubtly) an addict. MCU Iron Man is addicted to Iron Man instead of alcohol. IM3 and Civil War both emphasize this and the fact that he is literally unable to put down the suit even when it ruins his relationship with Pepper is a pretty critical thing. He is acting like an addict where he knows one thing and can't stop himself from the other. The Accords are his version of AA but that doesn't mean he doesn't believe in it when he falls off the wagon.

Tony knows he isn't trustworthy. That's his flaw. He can see what he needs to do but also can't trust himself to do it. He even says as much in the film. He blew up all his suits and them promptly kept getting back into the suit because he can't stop himself even though he knows he should.

Boogaleeboo posted:

Again, he absolutely was. He wanted a bit of oversight into how it would work, but he was absolutely willing to start to compromise until he heard about Wanda.

Right, but he had no idea what to do about Wanda or any plans at all. He was just angry because he was the one responsible for Wanda's situation. He wasn't willing to compromise because he disliked what he heard but had no solution at all what to do, he was just angry because it was a thing he felt was wrong. It is exactly a case of 'Cap has no ideas but he doesn't want you to do what he dislikes."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 6, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Why is Wanda locked up? For her part in AoU?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Why is Wanda locked up? For her part in AoU?

In the opening of the film she stops Crossbone from exploding Captain America but misjudges and blows up a big portion of a building stopping it. She is explicitly still learning to control her powers and is in training and ends up in a bad situation and Cap apologizes for putting her into it. She gets put under house arrest with Vision to prevent anything else from happening.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

I hope that the Black Panther movie is a T'Challa and Bucky buddy-cop movie.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 6, 2016

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

King Burgundy posted:

Remember that amazing scene in The Winter Soldier where Toby Jones is all "hahahahahaha, I live on on 20 thousand feet of magnetic computer tape, herr Kapitan!"? That's when.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Tony knows he isn't trustworthy. That's his flaw. He can see what he needs to do but also can't trust himself to do it. He even says as much in the film. He blew up all his suits and them promptly kept getting back into the suit because he can't stop himself even though he knows he should.

The problem is he's just as wrong when he signs the Accords, because all he's done there is agree that the governments of the world have oversight over a group that was ultimately never going to listen to the governments of the world. It's trying to mitigate one problem in a way that is doomed to fail and then raise seven other problems down the road. And yes, Captain America doesn't have a better answer. He just knows that that is the wrong one. It doesn't make him better. It doesn't make him worse. Tony believes in trying to back the wrong play in the hopes they can make it better rather than doing nothing as everything goes to hell, and Steve believes that you don't do the wrong thing even if everyone wants you to. Neither is wrong, or right. They are just opinions really, and in any given situation either outlook might be the best one at the time. That's the tragedy.

quote:

He wasn't willing to compromise

You keep saying that about a man that literally picked up a pen and started compromising. Why?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Aphrodite posted:

permanent brain damage
^^Removed spoiler content^^

You're just going to have to accept that in Superhero World, people can easily be knocked unconscious without it causing permanent long term effects. It's a conceit that's necessary to make LOTS OF VIOLENCE + NO KILL POLICY work.

It's safe to assume that a person knocked unconscious in a superhero film is fine, yes I know that's not how it works in the real world.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Did they ever address who hired Crossbones and what the bioweapon he stole was? Are we to assume that was also orchestrated by Zemo with the intent that either Rumlow's explosion or one of the heroes would cause massive loss of life leading to the formation of the Accords, or was that more of a happy accident Zemo took advantage of and the Crossbones/toxin plot is a dangling thread to hopefully be expounded upon in the future?

Also, I straight up thought we'd get a shot of Abomination in the Raft, even if just on a monitor in the backround.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Boogaleeboo posted:

You keep saying that about a man that literally picked up a pen and started compromising. Why?

Because he picked up the pen and was still hesitating and the second he heard something he disliked he changed his mind in a moment while angrily telling Tony off without making a single argument beyond 'that's wrong.' He was tempted but proved he wasn't actually willing.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The thing I liked was that Steve was obviously being driven by his personal feelings instead of his brains and not thinking about the situation that clearly throughout the story, but as soon Tony's own personal history with his parents got tossed in the situation, he absolutely became the one who wasn't thinking straight while Steve had to try to rein him in.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sanschel posted:

Did they ever address who hired Crossbones and what the bioweapon he stole was? Are we to assume that was also orchestrated by Zemo with the intent that either Rumlow's explosion or one of the heroes would cause massive loss of life leading to the formation of the Accords, or was that more of a happy accident Zemo took advantage of and the Crossbones/toxin plot is a dangling thread to hopefully be expounded upon in the future?

Also, I straight up thought we'd get a shot of Abomination in the Raft, even if just on a monitor in the backround.

I got the impression that Rumlow was just a separate thread with his own agenda. It also got the Wakandans involved which Zemo seemed actually regretful about at the end.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I feel like Cap's point of contention even before Wanda was that Tony's side refused to ask any questions. You said that "What if we have to do bad things or what if we aren't allowed to do good things" is weak, but at least it's a start. It's better than diving in head first because you can see that not doing so will be a fight. The movie then goes to show why Cap is right in that regard. Not asking any questions about the motives involved is what allowed Zemo into Bucky's cell to reactivate his Winter Soldier programming and cause him to kill more people. They just captured him and hand delivered him to be interrogated by some guy because some government officials said so. Sure in the real world that's how things work, but Steve was right to wonder why Tony couldn't be bothered to try and reason. They were given the Sokovia Accords and half of the team just said "Alright, whatever". That's lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Picklepuss posted:

:( Well, now I know to stay home.

You do know that Spider-Man starts off being Team Tony even in the comic books, right? He's with Iron Man up to the point where it gets absurdly stupid, which never happens in the movie.

I came into the film expecting to be fully on Team Iron Man, but I came away being more Team Captain America than I thought. I thought the whole funeral scene for Peggy not only highlighted her struggle against the establishment that took some disobedience, but kind of one of the central conflicts of World War II, which was the Holocaust, the subtle implication being that if the Avengers allowed the UN to sanction them, they wouldn't be able to stand up against genocide and the like, that they'd just be "following orders." That's probably reading way too much into that scene, but considering Steve is already making points about where the UN will restrict them or send them, I thought it was kind of reinforced with bringing up that whole war.

I liked how this movie used imagery and even had a moralizing point at the end, one that BvS never quite did, but it wasn't so drat preachy and trying to hammer its themes home every two minutes. In a way, I feel like BvS is a smarter film because it's trying to go for something grander and there are some legit interesting points to consider, but it doesn't follow up on those and just goes for the lazy mythology themes instead. CA3 has a pretty simple moral, revenge bad, but it executes it in a way that feels more relevant to the current situation in this country and around the world than, say, television pundits spouting off about god or some bullshit.

And yeah, that's the Spider-Man I've been looking for one. One where you can sort of tell why in-universe everyone is annoyed by him, and why he infuriates villains more so than your average hero, but is still a good kid that you root for and think is awesome. I'm so unbelievably psyched for his coming movie.

• Locked thread